The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
John White EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
John White EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
John White EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
John White EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
John White EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
John White EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
John White EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
John White EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
John White EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

John White Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

John White

seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

John White Empty John White

Post by seebee1944 Sat Apr 23 2011, 01:37

New book out written by his son entitled The Ghost of White Hart Lane probably of real interest to the more mature amongst us. I'm also biased because he was my all time favourite player. Such an influence in the double winning side that during his time at Spurs he missed 15 games and when he wasn't playing they won only 1. anyway reccommended.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

John White Empty Re: John White

Post by BazSpur Sat Apr 23 2011, 03:03

Do you think Hoddle was anywhere near as great and if not what did John White have that Hoddle didn't?
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Mon Apr 25 2011, 05:25

That is such a difficult question and obviously comes down to personal preference. Yes Hoddle was very close and probably was a more naturally gifted player. White didn't really look like one being slight and pale. Both had a fantastic passing ability their goal scoring records were similar but for me White had an uncanny positional sense and always seemed to be in the right place. Defenders didn't seem to know how to mark him because he was so clever and cunning with his running. Also we never really saw how good he could have become because of his death at 27. As I say my favourite of all time.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Apr 25 2011, 17:13

Here's a clip from the Beeb you may find good viewing if you've not already seen it , Seebee

seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Mon Apr 25 2011, 17:19

Hadn't seen that Arnie thanks
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Apr 25 2011, 17:23

Your welcome , Seebee...

My dad is a Gooner but used to go over to the Lane in the late 50s and early 60s when the Goons were playing away ...He always speaks warmly of John White , was a great player he says ...
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Apr 25 2011, 20:12

Thanks for that Arnie. A very sad loss of such a promising young talent.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Apr 25 2011, 20:17

seebee1944 wrote:

That is such a difficult question and obviously comes down to personal preference. Yes Hoddle was very close and probably was a more naturally gifted player. White didn't really look like one being slight and pale. Both had a fantastic passing ability their goal scoring records were similar but for me White had an uncanny positional sense and always seemed to be in the right place. Defenders didn't seem to know how to mark him because he was so clever and cunning with his running. Also we never really saw how good he could have become because of his death at 27. As I say my favourite of all time.

Sounds like John was well ahead of his time. Whereas Hoddle although extremely talented wasn't the only midfielder of his generation who was gifted. Having said that Glen was of course an exceptional talent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19 2024, 21:46