The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Why did you support Spurs.  EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Why did you support Spurs.  Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+6
Boltjean
HotspurRoper
seebee1944
shearspur
ionman34
BazSpur
10 posters

Why did you support Spurs.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Why did you support Spurs.  Empty Why did you support Spurs.

Post by BazSpur Wed Jul 20 2011, 01:10

I know we have had similar threads in the past but why did you pick Spurs to support? We have never been a prolific side when it comes to winning trophies.Although we have had a lot of success we are not as prolific as Man U, Liverpool or even Arsenal. So if it wasn't the trophies, what was it?

I think for me location was the biggest factor. Being an Enfield boy they were my closest team apart from Enfield Town FC who were a great team in their own right and I did watch them but they were an Amateur team and I wanted to watch proffessional football. Around 68/69 one of my then mates was a Spurs supporter and he persuaded me to come and watch Spurs play West Brom that Saturday. One of my brothers was/is a goon and he wanted me to support Arsenal. I chose to go and watch Spurs. We won 2-1 and that was that, I was a Yid. But why? I suppose it was everything about that day. The atmosphere, the crowds, walking down Tottenham High Road, the electrically charged atmosphere that seemed to be all around me. Walking onto the Park Lane with my mate was one of the biggest thrills I ever had. The crowd was packed tight and swayed to and fro as the match played on. When we scored the noise all around me was thunderous. I had an adrenaline overdose and was caught up in it. I was doing things I had never done before. Punching my fist in the air when we scored, singing as loud as I could and getting really carried away. It felt like this was what I had been waiting for. This was what I was born for. I was 18 and I had found a purpose for my life. I loved it and WHL would be my second home from that moment on. If I had never gone with my mate that day, who knows what other turn my life would have taken. I feel privileged that I have seen so many good times at the Lane and away. The European glory nights were always very special and I have seen some fantastic games and seen The Mighty Spurs lift the Eufa Cup twice at the Lane. I have seen them lift 2 League cups and 2 FA cups at Wembley and cried tears of joy on each occasion. Yes but why Spurs? Because it was written.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Why did you support Spurs.  Empty Re: Why did you support Spurs.

Post by ionman34 Wed Jul 20 2011, 01:16

Never really picked them Baz, I just was a Spurs fan from my earliest memories. I was brought up on stories of the Glory years so it was just natural.

I can honestly say that it has never ever crossed my mind, at any age, to 'choose' a club to support.

I am Spurs, 'nuff said.

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 02:57

Back in the 1960s, knew a lad called david storey, he told me one day he was a spurs fan, up until then i had only played the game without supporting any team in particular, it went from there really,from reading about spurs and watching them on the tv, and then meeeting a bloke who was well into going to watch every game at whl, and i started to go to whl with him.
    Strange thing is my best friend from the mid sixties was a liverpool fan, but it never excited me in the slightest, i was more into dc and marvel comics then,lucky for me.LOL
    Here,s a bit of a shock for you lot, my grandmother was bombed when she lived in woolwich, but my grandparents or parents for that matter werent interested in football, in those days people had large families and worried more about feeding their children than going to watch football.
    Given me a lot of pleasure being a spurs fan, but its all changed from those early days, it wasnt all to do with money then.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Wed Jul 20 2011, 03:10

my cousin got me into them when i was about 10. Went with him and my dad to first match then used to go just with my cousin. When i starvedat secondary school a lot of other mates were spurs so used to in with them. Followed then through the relegation which was a very exciting season funny enough. Funny isnt it we have all prob stood in that ground together on the same day at some point or another and now here we are on here lol
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Wed Jul 20 2011, 03:16

Like you Baz an Enfield boy and both my dad and uncle were Spurs and my brother and I both kept pestering to go with them from the age of about 8. Eventually got our way and now after over 50 years my brother and I still go together. So basically family history started a lifelong love affair.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Wed Jul 20 2011, 03:24

1990 and i was obsessed with a certain cheeky chappie by the name of Paul "GAZZA" Gascoigne. Seriously i love the guy, i remember my Dad getting his redundancy from the pits and buying my 2 Brothers Sunderland shirts and tracksuits and the look of disbelief on his face when i asked for a Spurs shirt, dont think i ever took it off. Then at Xmas that same year i got the Spurs Tracksuit and a pair of Puma football boots (black with illuminous orange puma badge on the side with a gazza signature on the heel, i can still picture them today). I used to walk around with my boots, tracksuit and shirt on pretending to be Gazza. I was gutted when he left but by this time Spurs had taken hold of me. Then one Wednesday (i think) in 1992 i returned from school and my Dad told me Spurs were playing at Roker Park that evening in a Pre season friendly and he was taking me. How excitied was i..... i think we won 4-0 Anderton scored a hat rick if my memory serves me correct, we didnt stay the whole game as my dad counlnt bear to see Sunderland being taken apart and i also had school the next day. Yeah it was only a friendly but it was my 1st football match and more to the point my 1st Spurs match, the rest they say is history, COYS!!
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Wed Jul 20 2011, 03:31

Iv had a brief look on the internet for these boots/trainers before but no luck would be grateful if any of you guys who are more clued up than me could try and find a pic of these for me!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Jul 20 2011, 03:47

Some nice stories lads. Had a look for you Lee but no luck mate sorry.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Wed Jul 20 2011, 04:01

Well, if you have an hour or so I will tell you how I became a Spurs supporter. No, I will not bore you all again, most of you know my story. In a nut shell, I lived in Edmonton, my father was a Spurs supporter back in the 1920s and told me about some of the great players he had seen and how much he detested the Arsenal. I went to my first game v Cardiff in 1957, we won 5-0 with a chap and his wife who helped run the supporters club, how many of you can remember the hut outside the main gate that sold pictures of the players, and badges etc? that belonged to the supporters club, I think you could also book tickets for coaches to go to the away games, and that was that, I fell in love with the Spurs and how lucky I was to see the double achieved.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Wed Jul 20 2011, 04:08

have you ever had any trouble up there lee what with you being spurs must be an odd one for some of your people. Have you met any others up there
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Jul 20 2011, 04:54

I think I remember that hut Len. Must have been great to see them win the double. I can remember it happening and all the Spurs bunting and scarves down our road and the surrounding Streets in Enfield. I was 12 at the time and only had a passing interest so to speak. As I have said it was later that I fell in love with Spurs.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Wed Jul 20 2011, 05:15

Yes it was great Baz. By the way, us Edmonton kid's thought the kid's living in Enfield were snobs, Lol. The old Enfield ground in Southbury road had the open air swimming pool close to it. Was you living there when the Starlight Rooms night club opened, I believe it was under one of the stands's of the Enfield Stadium. Also, do you remember the Barass Stadium in Houndsfield Road, Edmonton where the Edmonton FC played?, we also had our sport's day there when I was at School. Next door to the Barass was the Lido swimming pool. I lived in Forest Road opposite Houndsfield Road, and went to Houndsfield Road school.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Wed Jul 20 2011, 05:34

Had a few run ins Shear nothing too major and yeah iv taken some serious stick over the years. Dad wasnt best pleased choosing Spurs am now the black sheep, lol and believe it or not my best mate who is best man at my wedding next year and went through secondry school with didnt bother to tell me his uncle was a mad Spurs fan, just recently have had many a good conversation with him, 1 in particular was my mates engagment doo its was on the evening we beat the Goons 3-2...... 2-0 down at half time, ring any bells?? LOL that was a good night

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 05:36

My Dad was a Spurs fan and I didn't even know LOL. Our next door neighbour at the time was Spurs and used to go up and was always bringing me home programmes to cut up and stick in scrapbooks. My Dad & him arranged for the 3 of us to go to an early season match against Liverpool. 1971, I was 8. We won 2-0 and that was it for me. Spurs had choosen me . . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Jul 20 2011, 06:49

Boltjean wrote:Yes it was great Baz. By the way, us Edmonton kid's thought the kid's living in Enfield were snobs, Lol. The old Enfield ground in Southbury road had the open air swimming pool close to it. Was you living there when the Starlight Rooms night club opened, I believe it was under one of the stands's of the Enfield Stadium. Also, do you remember the Barass Stadium in Houndsfield Road, Edmonton where the Edmonton FC played?, we also had our sport's day there when I was at School. Next door to the Barass was the Lido swimming pool. I lived in Forest Road opposite Houndsfield Road, and went to Houndsfield Road school.

Snobs Len? Not where I lived mate. The Brick Lane Estate was and still is a tough Council estate. Yes I remember the old open air swimming pool. The water was always freezing cold even in the Summer. I remember the Starlight rooms. I went in there once can't remember what the do was now and yes it was under the main stand. I remember Henry Barrass stadium too. Me, my Brothers and my mates used to go down there to the Lido. We were always worried the Edmonton kids would know we were from Enfield so we kept ourselves pretty much to ourselves. Tough lot those Edmonton boys. I remember Forest Road mate. When I was in my early 20s our family moved from Enfield to Edmonton, Salisbury Rd into one of the Council houses down there. It was great as I could now walk to WHL on match days. I really enjoyed that walk to and from the stadium. The Lady who lived next door to us used to take in young Spurs players. One day she said would you like to meet my latest young lads. So I went next door and spoke to them, they were both from Ireland, I asked their names and one said Steven Carr. He was just a kid then but I always remember when he broke into the first team. I can't remember the other lad's name but he was sub a couple of times but as we know Carr made a lot of appearances for us. I got to meet all her young charges as she knew I was a Spurs supporter but Stevie Carr was the only one I remember making the first team.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Jul 20 2011, 07:29

For me it was the moment I walked trough the Paxton Road turnstile, corner to the West Stand and then up the small flight of stairs to the Paxton terraces.. The Shelf was packed and the sun was smiling down on it .....

1968 home to Sheffield Utd ...1-1
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Wed Jul 20 2011, 10:04

I was 8 when I went to my first game. The year was 1947 and we lived in Risley avenue in Tottenham and just a 10 minute walk from the ground. My Dad went to all the home games and some of the away games and this day he said he was going to take me to a cup match for my first game I believe it was Derby and we won 5-0.

I remember being a bit scared when we first got in the ground as there were 70,000 in side and to a 8 year old it was quite an amazing sight and although it was a bit daunting at first I was carried away with the atmosphere but couldn't see a thing until the guys in the crowd near us ,lifted me over their heads right down to the front and I saw the whole game.

I was hooked and went regularly with my Dad and uncle to all the home games and when I was 12 my Dad managed to get 2 season tickets together which we had for about 10 or 12 years until I moved away.I went to the Cup Final in 61 when we won the double and have seen some great teams at the Lane and fabulous players.

It was just as passionate in those days as it is today and you felt just as sick when we lost as you do today.The difference is I'm that much older now and I'm over it by the next day and looking forward to the next game where as in those days I felt it all week as some of you do now.

They were great days and every decade had it's greats. Ted Ditchburn and Billy Nick in the 40's and 50's Blanchflower, Mackay, White Jones etc. in the 60's. There was Greavsie, Gilzean,Gazza, Hoddle, Linaker, Teddy so many great players so many memories and although things have changed a lot over the last 60 years I still get excited and I still get a lump in my throat when I walk into that theatre of my dreams.

Mikey M

Post by Guest Wed Jul 20 2011, 10:27

i remember watching the 1984 uefa cup final with my dad and my mum and we brought in our lucky cat when it got to penilties and we won

i guess i always been a spurs fan.

i also remember my r e teacher bringin a record or video .of the spurs 81 replay and playing it for the whole class. looking back and thinking about that now it seems surreal but it did happen.

for the recored we tired the lucky cat for the 87 final and it didnt work lol

most of my mates then where west ham fans and i remember when bobby moore passed away i went with my mates on the bank holiday monday to put flowers down at the west ham ground then watched a westham game and they trying to get me to change teams but i didnt thank god lol
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Wed Jul 20 2011, 22:05

Nice post that Mikey, I have give you a rep. We were very lucky seeing the Spurs achieve the double, not sure we will ever see it done again. Mind you I would be happy seeing them win anything, when you get to our ages anything is better than nothing.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Thu Jul 21 2011, 07:48

Boltjean wrote:Nice post that Mikey, I have give you a rep. We were very lucky seeing the Spurs achieve the double, not sure we will ever see it done again. Mind you I would be happy seeing them win anything, when you get to our ages anything is better than nothing.

Thank you my friend.Yes it was great to be able to see the double team but everybody was on a equal playing field in those days. No rich Arabs or Russians to poor money in, in fact we were the rich boys in those days and spent quite a lot most seasons.

Mikey M
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Thu Jul 21 2011, 07:49

cracks me up why most of you lot surpport spurs most of the time you sound like gooners
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Thu Jul 21 2011, 08:04

spurslegend wrote:cracks me up why most of you lot surpport spurs most of the time you sound like gooners

What a stupid f*cking statement. Just a one liner with no meaning.

What does saying why you support Spurs and talking of some of the early games make the rest of us gooners.

Mikey M

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Jul 21 2011, 08:14

Then why come on here Dave. In fact I'll tell you what? Don't come on here. You might as well stay off, you have nothing to say anyway. I'm beginning to wonder who are the gooners on here. Only Gooners would come onto a forum to hijack Spurs posts.

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 08:20

spurslegend wrote:cracks me up why most of you lot surpport spurs most of the time you sound like gooners

I think you are the secret goner leg-end. sh*t, you're the one always mentioning them . . . . .

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 08:34

totalytot wrote:

What a stupid f*cking statement. Just a one liner with no meaning.

What does saying why you support Spurs and talking of some of the early games make the rest of us gooners.

Mikey M

Must have read that my grandmother was bombed in woolwich, makes me a gooner that does it not.?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 02:03