The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» Not been here for a while
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:34 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

» story so far ?
Thu Nov 20 2014, 03:20 by vis

» southampton team news
Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:47 by superkaboul

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Poppies on the Shirt

Poppies on the Shirt

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 10 2011, 08:35

I for once find myself agreeing with FIFA and their refusal of England having poppies on the shirt for the game against Spain. FIFA rules state that no political, relgious or other signs of affiliation or belief are allowed on international team shirts. Fair enough sez I. I agree with the symbol of the poppy, what it stands for and how it benefits others & celebrates the sacrifice of the fallen. But for me that has no place in an international football match. Team England can celebrate the poppy in many other ways on Saturday asides from having it on the shirt. How about servicemen & women being presented to the teams rather then a bunch of suits ? Poppy placcards & flags etc around Wembley? FIFA had to make this stance to not set a precedent. The one that springs to mind for me is, example, Northern Ireland V Eire and the North have the red hand of Ulster on their shirts. A simple example and there are many others deeper & stronger but that sets my thinking on this. Others thoughts on this would be intresting to hear proud . . . . .. .

Re: Poppies on the Shirt

Post by Guest on Thu Nov 10 2011, 08:44

starting to agree with this myself.most of the people today wear poppies see it as purely a 'fashion' label. Ask them who general montgomery was and they won't have a f*cking clue

Post by BazSpur on Thu Nov 10 2011, 09:11

It's not Political or religeous in my mind. It's showing empathy and grattitude to the people that fell in the wars that have been fought over the years. Poppies should be allowed to be worn by the players that want to wear them. I see they are going to allow Poppies to be worn on arm bands now as a gesture. The Poppy is very symbolic and should be allowed IMO.

MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY

AUDERE EST FACERE............TO DARE IS TO DO

"When it is played at its best, football remains the greatest game of all.
    And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'Hoddle a luxury? It's the bad players who are a luxury.'

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Thu Nov 10 2011, 17:21

Loughtonlegend wrote:starting to agree with this myself.most of the people today wear poppies see it as purely a 'fashion' label. Ask them who general montgomery was and they won't have a f*cking clue

Who was 'General' Montgomery?

Do you mean Field Marshall?

Post by BazSpur on Thu Nov 10 2011, 18:08

I thought he was a corperal myself. Wink

MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY

AUDERE EST FACERE............TO DARE IS TO DO

"When it is played at its best, football remains the greatest game of all.
    And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'Hoddle a luxury? It's the bad players who are a luxury.'

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

Post by seebee1944 on Thu Nov 10 2011, 20:18

Agree 100% with Viz. Baz the corporal was on the other side fella with a funny moustache and haircut.
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO on Sat Nov 19 2011, 07:09

ionman34 wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:starting to agree with this myself.most of the people today wear poppies see it as purely a 'fashion' label. Ask them who general montgomery was and they won't have a f*cking clue

Who was 'General' Montgomery?

Do you mean Field Marshall?

Don't you mean Monty lol at General f*cking Yanks lmao

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17 2017, 08:53