The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Tue Sep 26 2017, 19:04 by BazSpur

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

» story so far ?
Thu Nov 20 2014, 03:20 by vis

» southampton team news
Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:47 by superkaboul

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Affiliates

I forgot my password

pushing spurs forward

ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Re: pushing spurs forward

Post by ionman34 on Thu May 24 2012, 11:00

nhg72 wrote:have been talking to my cousin hugo lloris keeps coming up on various forums .how good is the keeper ? be good to get something in concrete to cement these rumours maybe all the cynics about us and no one wanting to join spurs is total dribble .love my team even my daughter who is 4 loves the spurs .

Lloris is one of the best in Europe but many are sniffing after him. Gomez and Cudders are out of contract this year but Button is very highly thought of so I can only see one coming in. I'd love to see Lloris or Stekelenberg but the latter is unlikely as i can't see Ajax decimating their team to us.

Levy has been pictured with Vertonghens agent in Amsterdam and the ITK on Spurscommunity is that Levy and Eas=les were not only in Amsterdam so it looks as though Dl is on the move early.

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, Damiao's agency is based in Hamburg ...................
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Thu May 24 2012, 11:06

LOBO wrote:I think we will lose Modric and i read this morning he will go to france and may be used as a bargaining chip to get the players we want i.e remy , I don't know about you lot but the fella modric is making all the wrong noises again, diarra is linked again

Modric hasn't made any noises at all regarding Spurs. The only interview with him was with regards to Croatia in the Euro's, which the 'meeja' printed out of context to use as another piece of offal saying that he was 'considering' his future with Spurs.

He certainly won't be used as a makeweight for Remy! Not after the P*ss poor season Marseille have had.
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Thu May 24 2012, 11:43

nhg72 wrote:modric going to france for remy ? sounds ok but would fancy diarra as arry has worked with him .sounds like could be a good combo sandro ,parker diarra , lennon on fire . good to get big tom back love him as a player after all this time out he will have fire in his belly

I really don't think there's any mileage in the Diarra story. Last season it was a choice between him and Parker. We got Parker. Couple him with Sandro, then throw in Thudd and Jake and it means that Diarra would be a total waste of funds, better spent on strengthening areas that do require it.

Totally brain dead, lazy journalism, and I use the appelation very loosely, rehashing last Summer's story just to fill column inches IMO.
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Thu May 24 2012, 12:09

Boltjean wrote:Not been on forum for a while and have not seen or read any post from nhg 72 or peader 50 but have to say they are very good post, it is so nice to see fresh views. Well, nhg, you said that the Spurs fans have stood firm and vigilant, I have waited since 1961 to see us finish top of the table again, and I am getting as you can imagine, a bit impatient. Fifty years, I don't think I will ever see it especially if we sell our top players, Bale and Modric. I do not think we will get anywhere by letting quality players leave in the hope that we get players in of the same quality, it does not always work out that way. We let Berbatov go when Levy should have made him stay, and in my eyes he has not been replaced. I mean who have we had since, Crouch, Pav, Defoe?, not in the same class as Berbatov imo, so I do not want the same situation with Bale and Modric. We should keep them and build the team round them.

1. Bale is not leaving, he's already assured Tottenham of that.

2. Modric has said nothing .... Yet. Until he does he needs to be given a break here, especially off the back of his best season in a Spurs shirt. If he does then so what? DL is still holding a Royal Flush, in terms of his contract, so he goes when DL says and not a second sooner.

3. If Modders goes it will be on our terms and no one elses. If the club decide his fee will benefit our spending prowess then they will sell him in a heartbeat, particularly if we have a replacement lined up (I give you Erikkson and Nuri Sahin). The other alternative is a change of formation to, possibly, a 4-2-3-1 where a deep lying playmaker is uneccessary and even detrimental.

4.The situations between Berbatov and Modric are poles apart. Of course Levy could have made him stay, but he would have, effectively, been on strike, destroyed morale in the dressing room and reduced us to 10 players whenever he set foot on the pitch. He also had less that 2 years on his contract, too short to make him rot but long enough to make Utd bleed from every orifice when they bought him. Fergie will not deal with DL any longer, he knows that it will be a long, drawn out, painful raping for a player that may, or may not, do the business for him. Berbatov hasn't exactly pulled up trees at Utd now has he? Nor, for that matter, has Carrick.

Len, whilst I understand your frustrations, particularly at the most painful way we were dumped out of the CL, I see no reason for your 'glass half empty' outlook on virtually everything about the club. In the past 25 years, Enic have taken a bankrupt club (I will never EVER forgive Scholar for that), turned them into a well run, profit making business and led us to the cusp of being a dominant force in both England and Europe. Some may scoff at this, but for me it is just a matter of time. The infrastructure is almost there and, once the stadium is in place, we will become enormous. Of that I have no doubt.
    Consider yourself lucky to have seen the '61 side, none of the rest of us did so we've never had the chance to experience that kind of glory. But I have no doubts that we will.
    We have steadily progressed, year upon year to the point we are at now where we are vying with the best for the best. OK we may not be able to afford the Messi's, Ronaldo's and Falcao's of the World but look at who we are vying for and with. Vertonghen is wanted by the goons, Utd and Barcelona to name but a few.

He wants to come to us. A player rated by many as potentially the best CB in the World.

Eden Hazard. We are in direct competition with Citeh, Utd and Real Madrid for his signature. Nothing is finalised yet but, without their Billions, Citeh wouldn't even be in the picture, nor would Cheatski.

Were we competing for these types of signature 10 years ago? Sod that, were we competing for them 5 years ago?

That is the measure of how far we have progressed and we've done it without ridiculous cash injections from Billionaire game players.

There seems to be this worry that others will strengthen to our detriment.

Personally, I'm expecting a stronger challenge for the title next term and have faith that we will take it to the wire.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Thu May 24 2012, 19:14

[quote="ionman34"]
    nhg72 wrote:have been talking to my cousin hugo lloris keeps coming up on various forums .how good is the keeper ? be good to get something in concrete to cement these rumours maybe all the cynics about us and no one wanting to join spurs is total dribble .love my team even my daughter who is 4 loves the spurs .

[color=blue][i][b]Lloris is one of the best in Europe but many are sniffing after him. Gomez and Cudders are out of contract this year but Button is very highly thought of so I can only see one coming in. I'd love to see Lloris or Stekelenberg but the latter is unlikely as i can't see Ajax decimating their team to us.

Levy has been pictured with Vertonghens agent in Amsterdam and the ITK on Spurscommunity is that Levy and Eas=les were not only in Amsterdam so it looks as though Dl is on the move early.

I think Stekelenberg plays for Roma now mate

ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Fri May 25 2012, 00:50

[quote="djfitzo"]
    ionman34 wrote:

[color=blue][i][b]Lloris is one of the best in Europe but many are sniffing after him. Gomez and Cudders are out of contract this year but Button is very highly thought of so I can only see one coming in. I'd love to see Lloris or Stekelenberg but the latter is unlikely as i can't see Ajax decimating their team to us.

H
    e does mate, my mistake.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Fri May 25 2012, 01:19

[quote="ionman34"]
    djfitzo wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

H
    e does mate, my mistake.

But apparently he hates it there, time for Spurs to ride in on our white charger and rescue him!!

peader50
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by peader50 on Fri May 25 2012, 06:28

it might be me but keepers coming from europe always worry me gomez looked great at psv de gea looks a bundle of nerves almumia flapianski i think we will get at least 2 more years from brad and button can learn his trade in the stiffs
    nhg72
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by nhg72 on Fri May 25 2012, 07:34

THANKS GENTS FOR THE BIRTHDAY WISHES

Post by Guest on Fri May 25 2012, 07:37

i dont think brad earns as many points
    gomez does make mistakes but he can also pull of saves that get us extra points
    nhg72
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by nhg72 on Fri May 25 2012, 08:13

THE SAGA WITH VERTONGHEN HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR A WHILE NOW .WOULD BE NICE TO GET THIS SORTED ASAP BEFORE WE LOSE A PLAYER WHO SEMS TO TICK ALL THE BOXES . WATCHED A FEW VIDS ON LINE AND THE FELLA DOES LOOK GOOD .HE SEEMS TO COMMAND THE LINE AND HAS AN AURA ABOUT HIM . IF WE GET HIM FOR SURE I THINK HE WILL BE A GOOD ASSET . REMINDS ME SLIGHTLY LIKE RICHARD GOUGH NOW THERES A BLAST FROM THE PAST .

Post by BazSpur on Fri May 25 2012, 08:34

Great player Gough was. Shame he was only with us a short while.

MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY

AUDERE EST FACERE............TO DARE IS TO DO

"When it is played at its best, football remains the greatest game of all.
    And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'Hoddle a luxury? It's the bad players who are a luxury.'

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

Post by Guest on Fri May 25 2012, 10:18

yep he got home sick

even when he came back to the prem with everton he was there player of the season
    think that was the season they had ginola and gazza lol
    nhg72
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by nhg72 on Mon May 28 2012, 07:16

still no signs of the deal with vetonghen this realy needs to be signed , sealed , and sorted if we carry on like this we will lose one of the best rated defenders at this present time .come on lets gets this sorted before it is to late .i know the euros start soon but we need to get going with regards to our transfer targets .to be honest i dont fancy being left behind .the megga rich clubs will only leave us with the unwanted players . mr levy lets get these deals done soon .we realy need to get a move on .

Post by totalytot on Mon May 28 2012, 21:13

Loughtonlegend wrote:yep he got home sick

even when he came back to the prem with everton he was there player of the season
    think that was the season they had ginola and gazza lol

He didn't get homesick he f*cked one of the directors wife...Allegedly!!!

Mikey M

Post by totalytot on Mon May 28 2012, 21:21

nhg72 wrote:still no signs of the deal with vetonghen this realy needs to be signed , sealed , and sorted if we carry on like this we will lose one of the best rated defenders at this present time .come on lets gets this sorted before it is to late .i know the euros start soon but we need to get going with regards to our transfer targets .to be honest i dont fancy being left behind .the megga rich clubs will only leave us with the unwanted players . mr levy lets get these deals done soon .we realy need to get a move on .

The worry for me is he said over the weekend he wants to come to us but Levy wont pay the money and "he needs to hurry up as Arsenic are pushing hard." There only seems to be a difference of £2 mil. They want 12 Levy wants to pay 10 , on todays prices that is peanuts.
    It's all very well getting the best price but it's no good if you miss out for a great player by trying to be to clever.

Mikey M

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Mon May 28 2012, 21:59

totalytot wrote:
    nhg72 wrote:still no signs of the deal with vetonghen this realy needs to be signed , sealed , and sorted if we carry on like this we will lose one of the best rated defenders at this present time .come on lets gets this sorted before it is to late .i know the euros start soon but we need to get going with regards to our transfer targets .to be honest i dont fancy being left behind .the megga rich clubs will only leave us with the unwanted players . mr levy lets get these deals done soon .we realy need to get a move on .

The worry for me is he said over the weekend he wants to come to us but Levy wont pay the money and "he needs to hurry up as Arsenic are pushing hard." There only seems to be a difference of £2 mil. They want 12 Levy wants to pay 10 , on todays prices that is peanuts.
    It's all very well getting the best price but it's no good if you miss out for a great player by trying to be to clever.

Mikey M

Do you think he is driving the price hard because he knows he has caulker as an option? He does have only one year left on his contract and he has said that he will run it down and leave on a free.

Post by BazSpur on Mon May 28 2012, 22:30

As much as I can't understand why Levy is haggling over this player by the same token I can't understand Ajax either. They could accept 10 mill now or he could go on a free next season. Of course the real danger is the a*se might just step in and take him from under our noses. My feeling is, if this player is as good as everyone is saying then get the deal done. Stop f*cking about and pay the extra 2 mill. That will be funded by selling some of our deadwood.

And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

Post by Guest on Tue May 29 2012, 05:31

12 mill for a top player is peanuts
    they dont mind mind top dollar for unproven kids
    john bostock been with us 4 years now

just pay the money then we can retire king

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean on Tue May 29 2012, 05:41

Great reply to my post Ion, and I do love your optimism. However, you mention about the players we are after, the likes of Vertonghen and Hazard, but I do feel at times that Levy drags his heels a bit in the transfer market, and sometimes wonder if he says he is interested in certain players to appease the fans. If he intends to make Spurs a big club, then the only way to do this is to spend big money. Chelsea, United and City did not get where they did by taking players on loan. I do not say we should we should pay £25 or £30 mill for players, or pay them £150 thousand a week. I know we are not in a position to be able to do that, but to haggle with Ajax over Vertonghen with the chance of letting him slip through our fingers is stupid imo.
    nhg72
    4th Division
    4th Division

Post by nhg72 on Tue May 29 2012, 07:40

i have been doing some research on this player in question and everytime you read about him is always positive .i do love the way mr levy can haggle with players and there agents , caould you imagine what mr levy could do if he would break the wage cap .the talent that would come to the lane would be mustard .if we fail with jv give caulker a go he will be like walker when he is let lose on the prem come on mr levy
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Tue May 29 2012, 18:03

Boltjean wrote:Great reply to my post Ion, and I do love your optimism. However, you mention about the players we are after, the likes of Vertonghen and Hazard, but I do feel at times that Levy drags his heels a bit in the transfer market, and sometimes wonder if he says he is interested in certain players to appease the fans. If he intends to make Spurs a big club, then the only way to do this is to spend big money. Chelsea, United and City did not get where they did by taking players on loan. I do not say we should we should pay £25 or £30 mill for players, or pay them £150 thousand a week. I know we are not in a position to be able to do that, but to haggle with Ajax over Vertonghen with the chance of letting him slip through our fingers is stupid imo.

Hi Len, thanks for the praise.

Just so as you know, there are a number of ITK on Spurs Community who have all stated that the Vertonghen deal has been completed now. The feeling is that it will be announced when he is over with the Belgian squad.

And for those who have been banging on about 'paying what Ajax ask,' the only other offer they received was from the goons ........... For 8 million. It would seem then that all of this complaining about DL's brinkmanship is so much hot air. Ajax want more but Levy has a benchmark to go by with the other bid so he can negotiate from a position of strength, exactly as I'd want the Chairman/negotiator to do. Put it this way, were paying an extra 2-3 million to jeopardise another signing, as we have a limit on our funds, would we all feel that DL had screwed up by paying over the odds just to appease our impatience?
    FYI, apparently DL was speaking to 'others' whilst in Holland, speculation is on the likes of Luuk De Jong and Bas Dost whilst Van Gaal has also been mentioned. I like the sound of De Jong (though I've never seen him play) whilst Bas Dost has excellent stats but has been compared to Crouch. It is also possible that DL met with Remy and/or Leandro whilst out there, although I get the gut feeling that the Leandro ship has sailed. From what I am hearing he has set his heart on Juve. Eriksson is also in the frame, although I can't really see this as he is more an attacking midfielder than a playmaker so would be in direct competition with VDV. A non starter for me.

One of the ITK's has stated that we have been in contact with Bayern for one of theirs ............ Schweinsteiger anyone? affraid

Lastly, I have been informed that Aitch has been offered a 1 year rolling contract when he wants 2 years. I have a theory on this so I'll start another thread to see what you and the other guys think on it.

In a nutshell, it seems as though DL has learned from previous windows and is endeavouring to do the clubs business as early as possible. It appears that he recognises the areas we need to strengthen and is working very hard at making it happen. But we have a number of positions that need work on so he has to be as frugal as possible with the funds. If a bit of haggling on each deal saves us enough to secure an extra quality signing then God Bless Daniel Levy.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Tue May 29 2012, 19:48

ionman34 wrote:
    Boltjean wrote:Great reply to my post Ion, and I do love your optimism. However, you mention about the players we are after, the likes of Vertonghen and Hazard, but I do feel at times that Levy drags his heels a bit in the transfer market, and sometimes wonder if he says he is interested in certain players to appease the fans. If he intends to make Spurs a big club, then the only way to do this is to spend big money. Chelsea, United and City did not get where they did by taking players on loan. I do not say we should we should pay £25 or £30 mill for players, or pay them £150 thousand a week. I know we are not in a position to be able to do that, but to haggle with Ajax over Vertonghen with the chance of letting him slip through our fingers is stupid imo.

Hi Len, thanks for the praise.

Just so as you know, there are a number of ITK on Spurs Community who have all stated that the Vertonghen deal has been completed now. The feeling is that it will be announced when he is over with the Belgian squad.

And for those who have been banging on about 'paying what Ajax ask,' the only other offer they received was from the goons ........... For 8 million. It would seem then that all of this complaining about DL's brinkmanship is so much hot air. Ajax want more but Levy has a benchmark to go by with the other bid so he can negotiate from a position of strength, exactly as I'd want the Chairman/negotiator to do. Put it this way, were paying an extra 2-3 million to jeopardise another signing, as we have a limit on our funds, would we all feel that DL had screwed up by paying over the odds just to appease our impatience?
    FYI, apparently DL was speaking to 'others' whilst in Holland, speculation is on the likes of Luuk De Jong and Bas Dost whilst Van Gaal has also been mentioned. I like the sound of De Jong (though I've never seen him play) whilst Bas Dost has excellent stats but has been compared to Crouch. It is also possible that DL met with Remy and/or Leandro whilst out there, although I get the gut feeling that the Leandro ship has sailed. From what I am hearing he has set his heart on Juve. Eriksson is also in the frame, although I can't really see this as he is more an attacking midfielder than a playmaker so would be in direct competition with VDV. A non starter for me.

One of the ITK's has stated that we have been in contact with Bayern for one of theirs ............ Schweinsteiger anyone? affraid

Lastly, I have been informed that Aitch has been offered a 1 year rolling contract when he wants 2 years. I have a theory on this so I'll start another thread to see what you and the other guys think on it.

In a nutshell, it seems as though DL has learned from previous windows and is endeavouring to do the clubs business as early as possible. It appears that he recognises the areas we need to strengthen and is working very hard at making it happen. But we have a number of positions that need work on so he has to be as frugal as possible with the funds. If a bit of haggling on each deal saves us enough to secure an extra quality signing then God Bless Daniel Levy.

The lack of Champs League money must have a bearing, but can anyone answer this, what kind of dough is guarantee'd? say you dont make it out of the group stage or even the qualifier.

Post by BazSpur on Tue May 29 2012, 19:53

I also read the Vertonghen deal is done. I'll bellieve it when I see him in the shirt on the official website.

nhg72
    4th Division
    4th Division

pushing spurs forward

Post by nhg72 on Wed May 30 2012, 03:10

if we have got vertonghen my levy has played a shrewd move keeping all this speculation close to his chest . will he wont he well i guess the mighty spurs should know in a few days .this signing has certainly dragged on come my levy put the fans out of our misery .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19 2017, 23:48