The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Tue Sep 26 2017, 19:04 by BazSpur

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

» story so far ?
Thu Nov 20 2014, 03:20 by vis

» southampton team news
Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:47 by superkaboul

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Leandro Damiou.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Re: Leandro Damiou.

Post by djfitzo on Wed Feb 06 2013, 01:04

I'm afraid unless you have a Russian crook or oil Sheikh willing to shell out ridiculous money on transfer fees and wages, you dont stand much chance. Holtby is a rare commodity that after seeing our new training facilities and our potential decided to join. Contrast that with Willan, who said he had enough of playing in Russia, only to sign for £ 34 miilion and a barrow load of cash for guess what, another Russian club!!

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 06 2013, 02:49

yet tony fernandaz has no problem splashing the cash

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Wed Feb 06 2013, 03:05

Loughtonlegend wrote:yet tony fernandaz has no problem splashing the cash

And where has it got them Lought?

vis

Post by vis on Wed Feb 06 2013, 04:54

Should we splash the cash like QPR (Leeds back in the '90's)? What has it bought QPR? A striker whose out for 2 months, a central defender who Redknapp wanted at Spurs but many on here didn't want. Who else though? A load of mercenaries on inflated wages not interested. Will Redknapp preside over then run away like another Pompey? Me thinks so.
    A striker would have been good but let's be honest who was really available? Not many. WolfsPenis (Ricky van Wolfswinkel) at Sporting may have been worth a look as may have the lad from Celtic. But in truth apart from a short term loan deal for an old head like Drogba, or similar, not many outstanding candidates were out there. Remember Saha last season? Not exactly convincing was it?
    I would have made an audacious £20+M bid for Torres as I'm sure he would score shed-loads at The Lane but that is just my lil ole 'umble opinion . . . . . .

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," Ledley King 2012 (any Spurs fan would say the same)
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur on Wed Feb 06 2013, 06:08

i didnt expect them to splash the cash like qpr , but we have needed a top striker for a while now and if we had only got the one top striker in im sure we would have pushed on and clinched 4th maybe 3rd. who knows we still might but weve sure made it hard with defoe out now and if bale gets injured as someone else pointed out, god help us. the time excuse is rubbish they should have identified 3 or 4 strikers they fancied and had an order of preference so if one knocked them back on price or terms swiftly move on to the next target. this should have been done at the start of the window before everyone else got first pick. we were left in a position of leaving it late AS USUAL, and everyone knowing we were desperate, so far from grabbing a bargain mr levy you made the prices rise up, and lost out. well lets hope you havent blown our finishing position by not having a bit of foresight over profit. cheers. fingers crossed.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Wed Feb 06 2013, 06:26

shearspur wrote:i didnt expect them to splash the cash like qpr , but we have needed a top striker for a while now and if we had only got the one top striker in im sure we would have pushed on and clinched 4th maybe 3rd. who knows we still might but weve sure made it hard with defoe out now and if bale gets injured as someone else pointed out, god help us. the time excuse is rubbish they should have identified 3 or 4 strikers they fancied and had an order of preference so if one knocked them back on price or terms swiftly move on to the next target. this should have been done at the start of the window before everyone else got first pick. we were left in a position of leaving it late AS USUAL, and everyone knowing we were desperate, so far from grabbing a bargain mr levy you made the prices rise up, and lost out. well lets hope you havent blown our finishing position by not having a bit of foresight over profit. cheers. fingers crossed.

Ade was unhappy paying second fiddle to Defoe when he came back from injury, now his ego can be massaged by being number striker as I think one up top and maybe Holtby behind, a kind of younger VDV that can run all day and can tackle.

vis

Post by vis on Wed Feb 06 2013, 06:47

shearspur wrote:i didnt expect them to splash the cash like qpr , but we have needed a top striker for a while now and if we had only got the one top striker in im sure we would have pushed on and clinched 4th maybe 3rd. who knows we still might but weve sure made it hard with defoe out now and if bale gets injured as someone else pointed out, god help us. the time excuse is rubbish they should have identified 3 or 4 strikers they fancied and had an order of preference so if one knocked them back on price or terms swiftly move on to the next target. this should have been done at the start of the window before everyone else got first pick. we were left in a position of leaving it late AS USUAL, and everyone knowing we were desperate, so far from grabbing a bargain mr levy you made the prices rise up, and lost out. well lets hope you havent blown our finishing position by not having a bit of foresight over profit. cheers. fingers crossed.

Shear as I said who of any note was really available/worth taking? I do feel that come the end of the season AVB will be allowed to bring in players he wants rather then stop-gap, short-term solutions like we have been acquiring of late. Now this may not help this season but I also feel that most fans & people involved with the club have recognised this is a bedding in/transitional season. But with Darling Daniel you can never be sure . . . .

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," Ledley King 2012 (any Spurs fan would say the same)
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur on Wed Feb 06 2013, 07:19

if we had been in 7 8 or 9th this season vis i could understand but were on the cusp of something big here in his first season. if we drop out of the cl places now this season and players want to ask for moves where will that leave avb ? back at square one starting a new campaign rebuilding again and it goes on and on. build on what youve got in the present i say, then keep your best players happy and then add a couple as well with the income it will generate. i just think it was shortsightedness by the board hoping we can muddle through and maybe score enough.
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur on Wed Feb 06 2013, 07:23

as for names ? i dont know but remy was one previous we wanted. damaio we could have got i think if price was right. newcastle got some, liverpool, and i think we missed out on suarez couple of seasons ago, who knows if we had him eh
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

as for names ? i dont know but remy was one previous we wanted. damaio we could have got i think if price was right. newcastle got some, liverpool, and i think we missed out on suarez couple of seasons ago, who knows if we had him eh
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

whoops lol

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 06 2013, 07:28

we needed a striker since 2009.
    theres loads of young players back then we could of took a chance on but we didnt want to pay the money.

we could of got hulk we could of got agureo. hes 23 now so man c took a chance on him.
    falco suarze. but we wouldnt pay top dollar because they was unproven and young so now if we want quailty we have to pay top money.

nobody saying we have to be like qpr but one top player is not going to break the bank.

tony got stitched up with all the crap mark hughes brought but at least hes backing the team

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 06 2013, 07:28

we kept talking about hulk in 2009 but didnt get him

Post by BazSpur on Wed Feb 06 2013, 09:11

I too think Levy has missed the boat. Not once but 2 seasons running. We managed to miss out on Moutinho in the Summer, a player we desperately wanted apparently and this Window we miss out on Damiao YET AGAIN. How long have we been chasing him? And now it transpires Internacionale have told us where to go, so I think we can say goodbye to him coming to Spurs. When will Levy learn that sometimes, just sometimes, you have to pay what the selling club is asking.

MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY

AUDERE EST FACERE............TO DARE IS TO DO

"When it is played at its best, football remains the greatest game of all.
    And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'Hoddle a luxury? It's the bad players who are a luxury.'

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Wed Feb 06 2013, 09:29

Know what the common factor is in most of the players mentioned? Wages, we have a strict wage structure, all the players you mentioned are on between 100-200 grand a week and Hulk don't make me laugh, do you know how much he was bought for by the Ruskies ? What happens when the fair play comes in and you have to justify all this money you have spent? What strikers have the Magpies bought? Cisse and like a lot of strikers is going through second season syndrome which is why they are where they are, they beat Cheatski because all they bought was attacking midfielders and they have no protection in the middle and a creaking defence. It's all abt money, Willans gone to another Russian team for the money, but apparently hates playing in the freezing cold of the old Soviet.Who really wants to lose their strikers half way through the season with some of them in the Champs League and Leandro is too soft and scared to play in a league where he might get found out. Ade being the main man now might just surprise us all.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 06 2013, 10:02

dj ye now hulk is on mega money but not in 2009 he wasnt.
    and so now qpr can pay higher wages then us

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Wed Feb 06 2013, 18:17

Loughtonlegend wrote:dj ye now hulk is on mega money but not in 2009 he wasnt.
    and so now qpr can pay higher wages then us

It's Leeds all over again mate, they nearly went bust buying and paying silly wages trying to keep up with big boys and they ain't been seen in the prem since, which is exactly where QPR will be if Harry fails this time around, then ll the mercenaries will be on their bike,just like Leeds and your idol Taraabt will be on his toes faster then Odemwingie down the m6.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Wed Feb 06 2013, 20:12

Guys, i agree that we really need and have needed another striker for 2 seasons now, but January is not the time to get one. You have to hope and pray that the striker hits the ground running as you have no time to bed in. Its a massive risk when you are 4th, one point from 3rd and 3 teams chasing your a*se.
    Sure Newcastle went out and bought some attacking midfielders and it worked against Cheatski because they are as open as a barn door, Cisse worked last season, but they had him from the off, what about this season? Also there is a lack of real quality forwards that are actually available to buy. I kind of understand Levy as to progress we really do need a bigger stadium, barring Defoes injury, what happens when Ades back, youve got to try and keep him and Defoe happy and try to fit Dempsey and Holtby in, not all players are happy to sit on the bench and we do have a happy camp at the moment as reflected in results when we have had to dig in. You also say what happens if this player gets injured or that player, that goes for all the clubs around us, Gerrard and Suarez are pivotal for Pool, Felliani for Everton and what if Wilshere suffers another ankle injury, teams will waltz through Arsenal like a knife through butter, god forbid Mata gets injured for Cheatski. I personally think that Ade has had his injury problems now out of the way and being number one striker now will see a different player.
    Come the summer and Champs League football we really can start looking at marquee strikers, I know thats if we get there, same applies to Cheatski,Pool,Everton and the a*se.

Post by BazSpur on Wed Feb 06 2013, 21:43

You talk a lot of sense Dave but how long is it that we have known we need a decent striker mate?

And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Wed Feb 06 2013, 22:30

BazSpur wrote:You talk a lot of sense Dave but how long is it that we have known we need a decent striker mate?

I know Baz, how to get in Levys mind, I guess the new stadium is all consuming with him, but sure its a mystery, like someone else said,
    perhaps AVB dont fancy any of the ones that we realistically could buy and believes are no better then the combination of Defoe/Ade/Dempsey.

Post by BazSpur on Wed Feb 06 2013, 22:34

Maybe mate, I just hope Ade comes back a different player and starts doing what he is paid to do. As you say maybe with Defoe injured and him getting a prolonged run in the team Ade will start to show what he is capable of.

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 07 2013, 02:15

if we got a top striker last season we would of finnised above the scum.
    this season we have another chance but now liverpool have inproved.

as for chelsea being wide open its the same team that won the champions league.
    plus they have thrashed some teams. when was the last time we scored 3 goals in a game.

i know chelsea are going through a rough patch and i hope it conintues but im sure rafa will sort them out

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Thu Feb 07 2013, 02:40

Loughtonlegend wrote:if we got a top striker last season we would of finnised above the scum.

plus they have thrashed some teams. when was the last time we scored 3 goals in a game.

i know chelsea are going through a rough patch and i hope it conintues but im sure rafa will sort them out

This is there team for the Champs League final

Cech; Bosingwa, Luiz, Cahill, Cole; Kalou, Mikel, Lampard, Bertrand; Mata; Drogba.

They are playing Terry now, although Luiz is a shocking defender, Mikel is a much more defensive midfielder than Ramirez.

So the current team is totalling different to the one that played in the final, plus Cech could be out with a broken finger.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Thu Feb 07 2013, 02:49

djfitzo wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:if we got a top striker last season we would of finnised above the scum.

This is there team for the Champs League final

Cech; Bosingwa, Luiz, Cahill, Cole; Kalou, Mikel, Lampard, Bertrand; Mata; Drogba.

They are playing Terry now, although Luiz is a shocking defender, Mikel is a much more defensive midfielder than Ramirez.

So the current team is totalling different to the one that played in the final, plus Cech could be out with a broken finger.

Oh and the last team they "thrashed someone" the beat Stoke 4-0 which was two own goals and a penalty for and a penalty missed against them and that was back at the beginning of January.

Its not about thrashing teams, like I said before, i'd take 1-0 and three points every time if it means we qualify for Champs League.

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 07 2013, 02:58

Cech; played most of the games in the last 2 months

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content