The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» Not been here for a while
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:34 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

» story so far ?
Thu Nov 20 2014, 03:20 by vis

» southampton team news
Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:47 by superkaboul

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Affiliates

I forgot my password

lennon

djfitzo
    International
    International

Re: lennon

Post by djfitzo on Tue Feb 12 2013, 03:30

LOVELOVEROCKET wrote:we messed about with willian mayb agent thing or something but willian was valued at 18m when we were interested before his c.league campaign only then did is price rise. just thought if we tried hard enough we should got someone challenging lennon for is place.

Still a lot of money mate just to keep Lennon on his toes, im surprised we didnt put a offer in for Wilfred Zaha being a London lad.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Tue Feb 12 2013, 03:31

Loughtonlegend wrote:This is the top ten, as of this weekend, for assists in the league so far this season...

Steven Gerrard Liverpool 9
    Lukas Podolski ars*nal 9
    Juan Mata Chelsea 9

Theo Walcott ars*nal 8

Damien Duff Fulham 7
    Robin Van Persie Manchester United 7
    Wayne Rooney Manchester United 7
    Carlos Tevez Manchester City 7
    Eden Hazard Chelsea 7

Aaron Lennon Tottenham Hotspur 6
    Santi Cazorla ars*nal 6
    Bryan Ruiz Fulham 6

So Lought, same assists as Cazorla, who you said was better in an earlier post.

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12 2013, 03:41

differnt type of player.
    cazorla is a good player and would fit into our team.

corzola better then dembele

also wheres bales assists lol im right again

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Tue Feb 12 2013, 03:58

Loughtonlegend wrote:differnt type of player.
    cazorla is a good player and would fit into our team.

corzola better then dembele

also wheres bales assists lol im right again

I'd take the goals from him Lought, cos when he does put a decent ball in, no one scores, Dempseys legs were prob still in Honduras.

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 12 2013, 04:04

lol dj
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Tue Feb 12 2013, 15:21

Has Lennon progressed? Yes.

Should he be compared to Walnut? No, two completely different players. Lennon is a winger, Walnut and outside forward, different remit for both players.

I note that, once again, we have the standard, lazy response of 'his final ball is not good enough' has been trotted out again. Well Lought stuck up a little table showing the assists stats where Lennon is way up there in the top 10, hardly a 'not good enough' final ball. Had we strikers of the prowess of RVP et al then I'm sure his assist rate would be even better.

It is good to remember that Lennon is still only 25 years old too, a good 2 to 3 years away from his prime and now being coached by AVB, I'm confident he'll add more goals to his game then.

Then we look at the defensive shift that Lennon puts in. In this respect he is head and shoulders above, not just Walnut, but just about every wide forward in the league. There was a point in the Newchateau game where Lennon tackled back on the right, followed the loose ball to the centre and tackled there, then popped up on the left to win the ball before running it into touch. He kept this up for 90 minutes too, along with his attacking duties. I also noted a particularly good ball that he put through for Walker, threading it between two defenders for KW to run onto. Had Walker been just a little more alive to the ball then he would have got in behind the defenders and been able to square an extremely dangerous ball to either Bale or Ade.

So yeah, Lennon has definitely improved in his all round game for sure. It remains to be seen whether AVB can turn him into a really effective outside forward but I'm fairly confident there too as he's improved in every other aspect. Let us not forget that Walnut has been peripheral for many seasons. Has he actually progressed or is he just in a Purple patch at the moment? In the Sunderland game he squandered a plethora of chances that really could have cost them the game. Is he reverting back to type? He's always had Purple patches where he looked like a World beater then suddenly he disappears without trace. What of your argument then Lought?

And talking of Lought arguments, I see you have been berating Bale for his lack of assists. Well, firstly I kind of agree wrt Bale in that I have been fairly frustrated with him at times this season. His decision making, for me, was a bit suspect and I felt that he had gone a bit too 'Hollywood' for the teams good. It concerns me that he has been guilty of the same blinkered vision that Defoe is always accused of, taking a shot when a lay-off would reap greater dividends. Of late that hasn't been such an issue as he has been finding the net but, to use Newchateau as an example again, there were two occasions where, instead of taking on the shot, an angled pass would have seen Ade in on goal. Bale took on the shot instead and brought two quality saves from Krul.

This is not a gripe as such, more a critique on where Bale still has room for improvement in his game. His work rate on the ball has never been in question, his work rate off the ball is gradually improving. He seems to have cut out the dying Swan routine and his shooting has come along massively, with both feet (the miss against the barcodes granted). His vision is something I'd like to see AVB work on with him. He's very much a head down player when running with the ball and his focus seems to be on where he can penetrate with that run. This is excellent and should still be encouraged, but I'd hope that AVB is telling him to have a look up and see whether the penetrating run will achieve more than the penetrating pass, if the pass is not on then will the run open up the pass or, even better, more passing options or if they don't materialise then hit your straps son! It is this kind of vision and decision making that elevates players from top drawer to World class. With respect to this, I think that the ability to spot the pass is where Lennon surpasses Bale, although he too needs to work more on his split second decision making. I believe AVB already has this in hand though as he has crafted the training regime around the players' ability to think clearly and quickly in pressure situations and when tired in the latter stages of games. He set them complex problems to solve late in their training sessions so that would encourage agile thinking even when tired. We are already seeing the benefits of this with our defensive solidity, soon enough we'll see it in the final 3rd.

I went a bit off topic there I know, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that our players as a whole are progressing under AVB. They have been hindered somewhat by the management regimes that have been in place up until now, but I can already see the progression in some, I give you Michael Dawson as a prime example, I'm so pleased and impressed with how he has progressed. Yes he may still show tendencies to go to ground, but he looks far more a 'Footballer' in the last couple of months that he did previously. I can see the progression in all of them picking up pace somewhat too as their confidence in the manager, the system and each other grows. The more successful we are, the more we will have players looking to better their play so that they can ensure they remain a part of it. Lennon, for me, is one of those players who will do what is necessary to improve his game to keep him at the forefront of the managers plans. He's fully aware that he needs to add more goals to his game as his team mates, in particular Walker, have been telling him to attack the goal and get more shots in.

Add goals to his game and we won't need the likes of Willian, we'll have our own 25 million plus wide forward and we'll have him until he retires.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Tue Feb 12 2013, 18:23

ionman34 wrote:Has Lennon progressed? Yes.

Should he be compared to Walnut? No, two completely different players. Lennon is a winger, Walnut and outside forward, different remit for both players.

I note that, once again, we have the standard, lazy response of 'his final ball is not good enough' has been trotted out again. Well Lought stuck up a little table showing the assists stats where Lennon is way up there in the top 10, hardly a 'not good enough' final ball. Had we strikers of the prowess of RVP et al then I'm sure his assist rate would be even better.

It is good to remember that Lennon is still only 25 years old too, a good 2 to 3 years away from his prime and now being coached by AVB, I'm confident he'll add more goals to his game then.

Then we look at the defensive shift that Lennon puts in. In this respect he is head and shoulders above, not just Walnut, but just about every wide forward in the league. There was a point in the Newchateau game where Lennon tackled back on the right, followed the loose ball to the centre and tackled there, then popped up on the left to win the ball before running it into touch. He kept this up for 90 minutes too, along with his attacking duties. I also noted a particularly good ball that he put through for Walker, threading it between two defenders for KW to run onto. Had Walker been just a little more alive to the ball then he would have got in behind the defenders and been able to square an extremely dangerous ball to either Bale or Ade.

So yeah, Lennon has definitely improved in his all round game for sure. It remains to be seen whether AVB can turn him into a really effective outside forward but I'm fairly confident there too as he's improved in every other aspect. Let us not forget that Walnut has been peripheral for many seasons. Has he actually progressed or is he just in a Purple patch at the moment? In the Sunderland game he squandered a plethora of chances that really could have cost them the game. Is he reverting back to type? He's always had Purple patches where he looked like a World beater then suddenly he disappears without trace. What of your argument then Lought?

And talking of Lought arguments, I see you have been berating Bale for his lack of assists. Well, firstly I kind of agree wrt Bale in that I have been fairly frustrated with him at times this season. His decision making, for me, was a bit suspect and I felt that he had gone a bit too 'Hollywood' for the teams good. It concerns me that he has been guilty of the same blinkered vision that Defoe is always accused of, taking a shot when a lay-off would reap greater dividends. Of late that hasn't been such an issue as he has been finding the net but, to use Newchateau as an example again, there were two occasions where, instead of taking on the shot, an angled pass would have seen Ade in on goal. Bale took on the shot instead and brought two quality saves from Krul.

This is not a gripe as such, more a critique on where Bale still has room for improvement in his game. His work rate on the ball has never been in question, his work rate off the ball is gradually improving. He seems to have cut out the dying Swan routine and his shooting has come along massively, with both feet (the miss against the barcodes granted). His vision is something I'd like to see AVB work on with him. He's very much a head down player when running with the ball and his focus seems to be on where he can penetrate with that run. This is excellent and should still be encouraged, but I'd hope that AVB is telling him to have a look up and see whether the penetrating run will achieve more than the penetrating pass, if the pass is not on then will the run open up the pass or, even better, more passing options or if they don't materialise then hit your straps son! It is this kind of vision and decision making that elevates players from top drawer to World class. With respect to this, I think that the ability to spot the pass is where Lennon surpasses Bale, although he too needs to work more on his split second decision making. I believe AVB already has this in hand though as he has crafted the training regime around the players' ability to think clearly and quickly in pressure situations and when tired in the latter stages of games. He set them complex problems to solve late in their training sessions so that would encourage agile thinking even when tired. We are already seeing the benefits of this with our defensive solidity, soon enough we'll see it in the final 3rd.

I went a bit off topic there I know, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that our players as a whole are progressing under AVB. They have been hindered somewhat by the management regimes that have been in place up until now, but I can already see the progression in some, I give you Michael Dawson as a prime example, I'm so pleased and impressed with how he has progressed. Yes he may still show tendencies to go to ground, but he looks far more a 'Footballer' in the last couple of months that he did previously. I can see the progression in all of them picking up pace somewhat too as their confidence in the manager, the system and each other grows. The more successful we are, the more we will have players looking to better their play so that they can ensure they remain a part of it. Lennon, for me, is one of those players who will do what is necessary to improve his game to keep him at the forefront of the managers plans. He's fully aware that he needs to add more goals to his game as his team mates, in particular Walker, have been telling him to attack the goal and get more shots in.

Add goals to his game and we won't need the likes of Willian, we'll have our own 25 million plus wide forward and we'll have him until he retires.

Now that is a quality post.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13 2013, 01:49

yay you see what i see about bale. but like you said hes still so young so im sure he will learn to pass more if theres others in better postions.

i think your right players under avb are inproving there game.

one thing about lennon that i dont think wingers hit there peak about 27/28 because hes pace will go.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Wed Feb 13 2013, 02:12

Loughtonlegend wrote:yay you see what i see about bale. but like you said hes still so young so im sure he will learn to pass more if theres others in better postions.

i think your right players under avb are inproving there game.

one thing about lennon that i dont think wingers hit there peak about 27/28 because hes pace will go.

Ryan Giggs is nearly 40, you just adjust your game as you get older.

Post by Guest on Wed Feb 13 2013, 02:42

ye giggs has proved that. he still got it so has scholes.

Post by LOVELOVEROCKET on Sat Feb 16 2013, 09:15

id rather bought willian at 18m than zaha at 12m or 15m that utd forked out just saying...........

ps and if you think 18m lot of money then u seriously need to get in the real world.

you not going get better than 4th regular without class plyers who dont come cheap.

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 16 2013, 23:36

we should bench lennon for some games and play holtby or stigg then bring lennon on later in games.

you cant drop bale but we need more from our other midfeilders. lennon dembele and parker cant open up teams often enough.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22 2017, 01:09