The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» Not been here for a while
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:34 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

» story so far ?
Thu Nov 20 2014, 03:20 by vis

» southampton team news
Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:47 by superkaboul

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Benteke

Re: Benteke

Post by totalytot on Sat Jul 20 2013, 22:06

djfitzo wrote:
    totalytot wrote:
    djfitzo wrote:Hold on guys, you can't buy someone that's not for sale, Villa had no intention of selling him. As for Citeh, how many more times, we can't compete with a club that can offer between 150-200 grand a week. Why are you all blaming Levy? Benteke may have put in a transfer request, Villa never accepted it and David Villa? a washed up Spaniard that didn't have he balls to try his luck in the prem. Sure I'm a tad disapponted that we didn't get Benteke, but was he really available?

Dave Benteke was for sale for two reasons. one he asked for a transfer and two Villa had stated that they would let him go for the right price.

Utd say Rooney is not for sale but Chelsea have put in a bid and I'm sure he's going to leave regardless of what Moyes says. We know from experience that if a player wants to go he will.

But more importantly we didn't bid for him. To me that was Levy playing brinkmanship once again and failing.

Tell me who's to blame for us not getting in a striker in the last year.

I know we can't compete with city for wages but they were still able to go out and do the deal before other clubs also with money stepped in.

Look at the Damio situation we could have had hm they agreed a fee and then according to the clubs president Levy moved the goal posts.

Nobody will convince me that Levy is not behind the failed transfers in recent times. I agree he's done a great job in putting the club in a strong financial position but we have been on the brink of making top 3 or 4 as a permanent thing. All it needed was that extra push at the right time, that extra player not Dempsey or sigy make weights.

If we do not get in a couple of top strikers we can not expect to finish any better than 6th. To me that would have been a wasted opportunity for this club to cement itself as a top contender.

That's my opinion and I wait to see who we start the season with.

Mikey M

So the season before last with the same strike force as now, we got 4th,what  makes you think we will finish 6th?

Who has anyone bought to challenge for 1st through to 4th?

Manu have bought no-one Cheatski have bought a young promising German, Citeh have bought two untried in the prem strikers and lost Ballatelli and a great striker in Tevez, Arsenal have paid f*ck all for a teenage Frog and if it was so easy to get a top striker, why has Higuain not joined Arsenal. The best forwards in Europe. Cavani and Falcao have taken the money and gone to PSG and Monaco.Citeh have done what they have done since the Arabs turned up throw millions of pounds at it and hope the players click, no real thought and so far for all that investment have scraped one league title.
    Yes, we need more firepower , but if you don't let goals in, you don't lose matches, we are strong up to the front line, I just don't think for the likes of us and even Arsenal, you need to pay a lot more then we can afford and saying just go a buy a top striker is just not that easy.

Dave the strike force that got us 4th 2 seasons ago has gone. Defoe and Ade have lost it and you know we can't spend another season hoping their form is coming back.

Last season players like Higuin and Negredo could have been bought for a lot less than now since the big guns got interested.

Higuin has been unsettled for a couple of seasons not playing regularly. Other than the top names most players in Spain are not on big wages compared to over here. Jovetic we were lookin at in January but when City and PSG came in this year his price went up.

You ask why I said 6th. The first 3 places are in stone in my opinion. Utd, CIty and Chelsea, I think Arsenal will finish 4th as I have never seen whinger so determined to bring in some quality players for years and I believe L'pool if they keep Suarez will finish 5th. So even without strikers we should be better than the rest, although they all seem to be bringing players in, most of whom I've never heard of but to some clubs it could make a difference.

We just seem to be to slow at moving forward Dave. Last season was a big dissapointment to me. I thought most of the time our football had dropped off a lot compared to the previous couple of seasons and again we let slip a commanding lead over our neighbours.

We can't compete with the big boys financially but I really believe we have let a golden opportunity slip and one we may not recover from for some time in terms of top 4.

MikeyM

Post by Guest on Sun Jul 21 2013, 11:18

paulinho looked averge in the cup recently. couldnt lace tiago boots.
    we been after a striker since 2009.

2 seasons ago we was left with just defoe and crouch.

plus whats the point in buying younger players if they are not deemed good enough to get in the sqaud.

Post by totalytot on Sun Jul 21 2013, 18:19

djfitzo wrote:Ok, lets put it to everyone and lets not be fanciful or indulgent, who do you think we realistically could have or should be buying in the striker department and reasons why they are better then what we have.

Players down the pecking order of their clubs and would be interested in moving on.

Demba Ba (Chelsea)
    Lukaku (Chelsea)
    Hernandez (Utd)

Players that their clubs would let go at the right price

Michu (Swansea)
    Cisse (Newcastle)
    Damiao (Brazil club ?) although today Napoli hve bid for him. Lat again !

Soldado

Torres Although his wages would be a problem.

To my mind all better than JD and ADE.

Mikey M

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Sun Jul 21 2013, 18:39

Loughtonguy wrote:paulinho  looked averge in the cup recently.  couldnt lace tiago boots.
    we been after a striker since 2009.

2 seasons ago we was left with just  defoe and crouch.

plus whats the point in buying younger players if they are not deemed good enough to get in the sqaud.

So, all those people that voted him third best player are wrong? This must be a record for you Lought, slating a player before his actually started for us! Can't you wait until the season starts like you normally do.

Post by LOVELOVEROCKET on Sun Jul 21 2013, 21:25

Daniel Levy has identified Spanish international Soldado as the answer to Tottenham’s deficiencies up front, and is keen to conclude a deal. 18m plus add ons , goals scored, c.league qualification.

Spurs have missed out on the elite European competition for the last two seasons to Chelsea and Arsenal respectively, and are looking to improve their squad in order to make it their this year with an ambitious bid.

The Mail reports that chairman Daniel Levy has identified Spanish international Soldado as the answer to Tottenham’s deficiencies up front, and is keen to conclude a deal.

The North London club only have two recognised strikers at the club - Jermain Defoe and Emmanuel Adebayor - and neither are thought to be highly rated at White Hart Lane.

Signing the Valencia forward, who scored 24 goals last season and managed to break into the national side for the Confederations Cup, would represent the largest fee Spurs have paid out for a player; their highest to date is £17m, paid for David Bentley in 2008 and Paulinho this summer.

It would also represent a significant strengthening of the side, given they seem likely to hang onto Gareth Bale for at least another year.

He is a gritty, hard working forward who isn’t afraid of getting dirty. When the chips are down, he can be counted on , Soldado gets wound up very easily and picks up a lot of cards. Last season he picked up 15 yellow cards, the year before that 16 and so he needs to learn how to hold his tongue. He isn’t the bulkiest of players and although he isn’t bullied off the ball easily, in the air he needs to improve.

After last season Soldado has silenced most of his critics and most believe he would be a success in England.

Post by totalytot on Sun Jul 21 2013, 21:38

He doesn't sound a world beater and at 28 a late developer but right now i'd settle for anything half decent.

I'm still surprised we haven't pursued Damiao when he is obviously available as Napoli are bidding.

Mikey M
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur on Sun Jul 21 2013, 22:46

thought damaio was staying in brazil now for 1 more season. watched some stuff of soldado on you tube and he looks pretty good, sharp, fast to see chances that he might snap up. hope levy don't drag this one out cos were running out of options now.
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur on Sun Jul 21 2013, 22:51

shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur on Sun Jul 21 2013, 22:53

just click the you tube icon bottom right to play it

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 22 2013, 04:55

just didnt look the 3rd best player at that tournment. neymar tiago fred and luiz all played better in my opinion

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28 2017, 15:35