The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Tue Sep 26 2017, 19:04 by BazSpur

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

» story so far ?
Thu Nov 20 2014, 03:20 by vis

» southampton team news
Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:47 by superkaboul

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Cardiff Away

vis

Cardiff Away

Post by vis on Thu Sep 19 2013, 05:34

Versus  

At

Sunday 22nd September 2013.
    Kick-Off @ 16:00hrs BST.

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," Ledley King 2012 (any Spurs fan would say the same)
    vis

Re: Cardiff Away

Post by vis on Thu Sep 19 2013, 05:50

(can't find one of the big man in a Cardiff shirt)

vis

Post by vis on Thu Sep 19 2013, 05:52

Apologies for this coming up so early but I won't have the time to do it between the Tromso game & Sunday . . . .

flowers

Pride 

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," Ledley King 2012 (any Spurs fan would say the same)
    vis

Post by vis on Sat Sep 21 2013, 05:25

Bumped . . . .

cannon 

vis

Post by vis on Sun Sep 22 2013, 03:25

Cardiff goalkeeper David Marshall is expected to return to the starting line-up after missing the draw at Hull with a hip injury.

Craig Bellamy is fit again, but Andreas Cornelius remains sidelined.

Mousa Dembele and Younes Kaboul should be available despite limping off against Tromso in the Europa League.

Danny Rose hurt his ankle in that game and is expected to miss out, but Vlad Chiriches could make his debut after finally receiving a work permit.
    MATCH PREVIEW

In January 1962, when this pair last met in the top flight, Tottenham Hotspur had a magnificent side. Dave Mackay scored in a 1-1 draw at Ninian Park. Spurs were the reigning champions. They were on their way to retaining the FA Cup. They return to the Welsh capital on the brink of becoming a title-contending side again.

They've created more chances than any other Premier League club so far. They've kept six clean sheets in seven games in all competitions. They're not the finished article, but they're not far off.

Christian Eriksen's arrival has added that little sparkle of midfield magic that they've missed since the departure of Luka Modric. He has an eye for a defence-splitting pass and will chip in with goals too, as he did against Tromso.

There is balance, creativity and variation in the Tottenham midfield. The keeper is superb. The defence has cut out silly mistakes. But who will AVB play up front. Jermaine Defoe looks a sharper option than £26m Roberto Soldado, but the Spaniard seems the preferred choice.

Manchester City's big names went to Cardiff last month and caught a cold. They dominated possession, as Tottenham are likely to do, but the Bluebirds capitalised on errors and claimed a famous victory. With the fiery breath of 25,000 Welsh dragons behind them, the new boys will be after another famous scalp.

Stephen Caulker has a point to prove. I'm surprised Tottenham let him go. Peter Whittingham has always been a good player. I'm delighted he's back in the Premier League.

Craig Bellamy's fitness issues will be a concern, but what a lovely story it is - helping his hometown club into the big time in the autumn of his career. He'll always irritate defenders, as will Peter Odemwingie, who's desperate to rescue his reputation.

Cardiff look the most likely of the promoted trio to stay up. But however sticky it gets, they must keep faith with Malky Mackay. They've allowed him to spend. Now they must trust in a bright, young manager.

He may not be as close to the summit of English football as AVB, but he's done a great job bringing Cardiff back to the top flight after 51 years. Both men are richly deserving, but AVB should take the spoils here.
    MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

This is the first meeting between the clubs in the league since the 1977-78 season when they met in the old Division Two. They haven't met in the top flight since the 1961-62 campaign when Tottenham were the defending champions. They drew 1-1 at Ninian Park and Spurs won 3-2 at White Hart Lane.
    Tottenham haven't won away at Cardiff in five attempts in all competitions since 1957.
    Their last meeting was in the FA Cup third round in 2007. Tottenham drew 0-0 in Cardiff before winning the replay 4-0.

Cardiff City

Cardiff had the best home record in the Championship last season and are unbeaten in their last nine league matches at Cardiff City Stadium (W3, D6).
    They have played the highest proportion of long passes in the Premier League this season (15.4%).
    Fraizer Campbell played 10 Premier League matches on loan at Tottenham in 2008-09, scoring one goal. Steven Caulker started 17 Premier League matches for Spurs last season, scoring twice.
    Against Hull, Peter Whittingham scored his first Premier League goal since 6 November 2004 - a span of 3,234 days.

Tottenham

Andre Villas-Boas' side won all six of their Premier League games against newly-promoted sides in 2012-13.
    Spurs have scored twice in five of their last seven away games in the league.
    Entering this weekend's fixtures, Tottenham have had the most shots in the top flight (59 excluding blocked) and have allowed the fewest shots of any team (7.3 per game) this season.
    Christian Eriksen has created four goals in his five league appearances in 2013-14 (Premier League and Eredivisie combined).

Post by BazSpur on Sun Sep 22 2013, 09:03

A game we should win. But......

MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY

AUDERE EST FACERE............TO DARE IS TO DO

"When it is played at its best, football remains the greatest game of all.
    And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'Hoddle a luxury? It's the bad players who are a luxury.'

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

Post by totalytot on Sun Sep 22 2013, 17:45

I think AVB doesn't know what his best eleven is at the moment and the new guys are still settling in.

The fact that Cardiff scored 3 against City and beat them means it's going to be tough that's why I've gone for the draw.

I think we wont be be hitting top form until about November so in the mean time we have to get something out of these games.

The only good thing is City and Chelsea also don't know their best side and are dropping points so a draw wont be a disaster.

Mikey M

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 23 2013, 01:20

Tottenham Team v Cardiff - Lloris; Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Naughton; Dembele, Paulinho; Townsend, Eriksen, Sigurdsson; Soldado

subs Friedel, Chiriches, Fryers, Holtby, Lamela, Sandro, Kane.
    Maximus
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by Maximus on Mon Sep 23 2013, 02:31

link http://www.stadium-live.com/Channel7.html

Post by BazSpur on Mon Sep 23 2013, 02:35

They are there for the taking if we step it up a bit. Plenty of shots but their goalkeeper has been exceptional.

Last edited by BazSpur on Mon Sep 23 2013, 02:50; edited 1 time in total

And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 23 2013, 02:43

how many times has play been stopped with there players going down

http://nutjob.eu/njtvx7.html
    vis

Post by vis on Mon Sep 23 2013, 02:55

Lloris has had an intresting half! 1 goal and the floodgates will open. Just need to find the goal . . . .

Post by BazSpur on Mon Sep 23 2013, 02:57

We do look a little lacklustre up front most shots on goal came from midfield. I'd give Defoe a run out second half.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Mon Sep 23 2013, 03:02

Not even in the squad Baz

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 23 2013, 03:05

i think soldado playing well.

its people like siggy and andros who just go for glory all the time.

wish we kept hudd.

i would bring either holtby of lamela on for siggy

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 23 2013, 03:31

dawson didnt need to do that

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 23 2013, 03:57

get the fuck in lol
    Maximus
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by Maximus on Mon Sep 23 2013, 04:05

We were lucky to get away with that....., i realy thought that Cardiff were going to nick it, A win is a win tho. COYS !!!!!!!!!!
    vis

Post by vis on Mon Sep 23 2013, 04:05

How the fek did we not get a cricket score? I'll take a 1-0 win every week but we really do need to start converting attempts into goals. Saying that I thought Soldado had his best game yet. Things are slowly gelling and it ain't far away when we destroy a team. We did today but without the goals . . . .

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 23 2013, 04:11

how can you say we was lucky
    25 shows away from home to cardif 10 shots 0 on target

great subs from avb.

they worked there socks off.

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 23 2013, 04:12

8 games
    7 wins
    7 clean Sheets
    16 scored
    1 conceded
    We are tottenham We win when we want #THFC
    vis

Post by vis on Mon Sep 23 2013, 04:13

We deserved the 3 points but we struggled to get them. A team in slow building mode but one helluva team is developing . . . .

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo on Mon Sep 23 2013, 04:16

Maximus wrote:We were lucky to get away with that....., i realy thought that Cardiff were going to nick it, A win is a win tho. COYS !!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 23 2013, 04:18

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean on Mon Sep 23 2013, 04:32

Why wasn't Defoe in the squad?. I am not knocking Soldado but after Defoe's performance in the Tromso game I think he deserved at least to be on the bench. Was he injured?. Early day's I know but I hope AVB does not stick with Soldado although he is not scoring the goals I would have expected him to because of the money we paid for him, when he could play Defoe who has been finding the back of the net. Defoes performance v Tromso reminded me a bit of Jimmy Greaves the way he took his goals. Harry had his favourite in the team nearly every week, Crouch, and kept Pav on the bench even though he knew he could score goals, I do not want to see this happen with Soldado and Defoe.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 21 2018, 06:00