The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Tue Sep 26 2017, 19:04 by BazSpur

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

» story so far ?
Thu Nov 20 2014, 03:20 by vis

» southampton team news
Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:47 by superkaboul

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Affiliates

I forgot my password

AVB I DON'T BLAME YOU,,,,, BUT,,,

SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

AVB I DON'T BLAME YOU,,,,, BUT,,,

Post by SuneJim on Tue Oct 29 2013, 10:59

While I agree with AVB and his comments on the lack of atmosphere at WHL and the nerves and negativity ,,,,,,,,,,that seemed to spread through the ground.
    But I get the feeling the atmosphere is suffering from our fan's trying not to chant the "Y" Word to much,,,,,, which is absolutely ridiculous we've been put in this position ,,,,,,,,,,,,,for taking an insult and going with it to avoid it being so,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    That's what effecting our support at the ground the worry of being thrown out, or even arrested for just supporting our team vocally ,,,,,,,,,,with chant's designed to show solidarity with our surroundings.
    So for me AVB was right,,,,,,,,,,,,,but there are reasons why,,,,,,,,,,,that isn't our fault,,,,,,,
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Re: AVB I DON'T BLAME YOU,,,,, BUT,,,

Post by ionman34 on Tue Oct 29 2013, 18:33

SuneJim wrote:While I agree with AVB and his comments on the lack of atmosphere at WHL and the nerves and negativity ,,,,,,,,,,that seemed to spread through the ground.
    But I get the feeling the atmosphere is suffering from our fan's trying not to chant the "Y" Word to much,,,,,, which is absolutely ridiculous we've been put in this position ,,,,,,,,,,,,,for taking an insult and going with it to avoid it being so,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    That's what effecting our support at the ground the worry of being thrown out, or even arrested for just supporting our team vocally ,,,,,,,,,,with chant's designed to show solidarity with our surroundings.
    So for me AVB was right,,,,,,,,,,,,,but there are reasons why,,,,,,,,,,,that isn't our fault,,,,,,,
    The home support has been pretty dire for a while now Jim, long before Baddiel and the gimme gimme squad started their Spurs assault.

My personal opinion is that there are multiple reasons rather than just the one. Firstly, pricing of games, it is very expensive to go to Spurs, or any other club for that matter. Wet Spam were charging 52 quid for their game against Cite FFS! Add to this the economic issues in the UK and it leaves you with only those that are relatively financially secure that can afford to go regularly. This then leaves 'youth' out of the equation as wages for young'uns, those with jobs that is, are always going to be low, even more so nowadays. The financially secure are usually around our age and far less vocal. The numbers then get made up by the 'transient' fans, those who go infrequently, and tourists, none of whom have the same connection to the club.
    Secondly, the removal of chant 'leaders' like the WHL drummer. This guy was instrumental in getting chants going and everyone followed his lead. Without that you have minorities, spread around the ground, trying to get things going to unresponsive groups. Eventually they get fed up too and go into their shells.
    There are many other reasons too, stewards, seating etc which contribute but, for me, the biggest reason is the overriding sense of entitlement that many fans now seem to have due to our relative success. There is no patience, they want constant wins with us putting every team to the sword in every game, regardless of the opposition. They EXPECT the team to earn the support by being outstanding in every game, they will start singing when we're 2/3 goals up rather than spurring the team on when they need it most. The team/fan relationship is a symbiotic one with each feeding off the other, for want of a better term, fans today are more like parasites, with respect to their support, taking and not giving.

I believe that the only way Spurs can change this is with the new stadium, reducing ticket prices and thereby allowing younger and more vocal fans to go regularly. Additionally they need to encourage the 'chant leaders' back into the stadium, allow group bookings and even encourage established chants by playing them at the start of each game. Sod this StarvWars tune bollocks, do as the likes of Liverpool (YNWA), Citeh (Blue moon) and even Crystal palace do and that is play the clubs signature theme to be played. Oh When the Spurs should be hammered out of every speaker as the team comes out, encouraging the fans to join in and get the atmosphere going before a ball is kicked.

It may not solve the problem but, by Christ, it's better than doing what they are currently doing which is sweet FA!

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean on Tue Oct 29 2013, 19:44

Great post Ion. So many points made that make sense that I would not have given any thought to. A rep from me.

Post by BazSpur on Tue Oct 29 2013, 21:51

Repped ion. Spot on.

MY EYES HAVE SEEN THE GLORY

AUDERE EST FACERE............TO DARE IS TO DO

"When it is played at its best, football remains the greatest game of all.
    And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'Hoddle a luxury? It's the bad players who are a luxury.'

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean on Tue Oct 29 2013, 23:47

I read today that many fans are tweeting, I thought only birds did that, they are not happy with AVBs remarks, we go to the Lane having paid out over £700 for a season ticket to be entertained, we want to see goals, Spurs have become boring to watch and to predictable. I can understand what they mean but do they not understand that we have seven new players who only joined us in the Summer and it will take time to gel. Rome was not built in a day and neither was the double side. I feel we have the makings of a top side and AVB will get there when the players brought in feel more relaxed and show there true potential, that is if the supporters do what they are supposed to do, support the team and not get on a players back, that only shatters there confidence. Fourth in the table, still in the Europa Cup, Carling Cup, and will it be January? the FA Cup, so much to look forward to. I believe the future for the club is bright under AVB, however if the supporters get on his back I do not think he will hang around if a big offer comes in for his services, then who the hell would we end up with in charge.

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 30 2013, 03:22

at the end of the day we only 3 points from top spot and thats with our new players having not gel yet.

great post ion.

i remember a few weeks before xmas in 2006 i went to spurs to buy ticket for the liverpool home game.
    they was £51 next to the away fans. the game was also on sky.
    i couldnt afford that so close to xmas and didnt buy them.

we lost 0 1

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 30 2013, 04:00

Spurs have allowed their opponents fewer passes than any other team in the Premier League this season (2507).

Post by totalytot on Wed Oct 30 2013, 05:03

Good post Ion.

However I think with the new stadium will come an increase in ticket prices to pay for the stadium rather than a reduction.

Mikey M

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean on Wed Oct 30 2013, 05:45

Do they base the price of tickets on who we play, a top side top price, a mid table or bottom side cheaper tickets?. Also the Carling Cup, any cheaper for a smaller team compared to say United?.

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 30 2013, 10:04

yep the have 3 differnt prices for prem games

high end games mid and low.
    not sure the differnce in pricing.

cup games . league cup and uefa cup early rounds can be as cheap as £20
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Wed Oct 30 2013, 14:16

totalytot wrote:
    Good post Ion.

However I think with the new stadium will come an increase in ticket  prices to pay for the stadium rather than a reduction.

Mikey M
    Well one would hope that the vast majority of the stadium cost will be dealt with by sponsorship/naming rights and corporate deals.

Levy is an economist so I'm sure that he'll know the ceiling he can charge certain areas at. Couple this with the fact that both the club and supporters trust have recognised that the atmosphere is poor by any measure.

I've been to matches where the crowd has been rocking before a ball has been kicked, it's a mindset thing that can be established if the club just tweaks a few things, I.e. getting 'anthems' going before kick off.

The brand of Football we play certainly contributes to the mindset, but getting that mindset in place from the off will help to contribute to that style of play. If the team is coming out to an electric atmosphere then they get infused by it and naturally up their game, IMO anyway.

Any manager will tell the away team that their first job is to silence the crowd, take away their impetus.

At WHL that job is already done, allowing the opposition to settle in quicker and grow in confidence.

If the fans do their part and the team fails to respond then we are well within our rights to question the tactics and desire.

Post by BazSpur on Wed Oct 30 2013, 21:29

What new stadium? According to ITK Nic it won't be built lol.

And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club." - Bill Nicholson

'If Ossie Ardiles had gone to Arsenal, they would have had him marking the goalkeeper or something.' Danny Blanchflower

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean on Wed Oct 30 2013, 23:08

Poll on a site yesterday Re Was AVB right to make the remarks about the supporters, 194, 73% yes, 71, 27% no.

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 31 2013, 10:14

people should get of avb back. the guy dont even know hes first team. 3 points from top. in the last 8 of the league cup. uefa cup we all but sealed into the knockout stages
    Maximus
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by Maximus on Fri Nov 01 2013, 11:08

AVB = Chelskiscum Reject, sorry........... i dont like him........
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Fri Nov 01 2013, 19:34

Maximus wrote:AVB = Chelskiscum Reject, sorry........... i dont like him........
    A well thought out and reasoned argument, you must be a Lawyer.

Why am I not surprised that it's you that has to take an opposite viewpoint?
    vis

Post by vis on Sat Nov 02 2013, 07:59

Max has been forthright in his opinion of AVB since Redknapp was offskis. His tone might seem harsh but it is consistent . . . . . .

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," Ledley King 2012 (any Spurs fan would say the same)
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Sat Nov 02 2013, 12:16

vis wrote:Max has been forthright in his opinion of AVB since Redknapp was offskis. His tone might seem harsh but it is consistent . . . . . .
    Based on what Vis? Because Cheatski sacked him?
    Like I said, Lawyer like reasoning, reincarnation of Lincoln perchance?

Post by BazSpur on Sun Nov 03 2013, 01:04

May I just say before commenting that I am not looking for an argument or a slanging match but reasoned debate would be nice. Personally because he's a "Chelsea reject" I can't for the life of me see what difference that makes. He is a manager and managers move from club to club. I didn't like Redknapp, never wanted him at our club but it had nothing to do with him having been at The Spams or Portsmouth and Southampton but once he was with us I went with it and gave him my support. In the end though "He was hoist by his own petard". I based my dislike of Redknapp on a whole set of different criteria. I think AVB is a good manager although his tactics sometimes have me thinking "Why?" But that's the same with every manager isn't it?

vis

Post by vis on Sun Nov 03 2013, 01:16

ionman34 wrote:
    vis wrote:Max has been forthright in his opinion of AVB since Redknapp was offskis. His tone might seem harsh but it is consistent . . . . . .
    Fair play Ion, very eloquently put.
    I have never had issues with AVB's "murky" past. He was my choice behind Ranieri (murky past as well lol)to replace Redknapp . . . . .

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," Ledley King 2012 (any Spurs fan would say the same)

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 03 2013, 02:22

im with baz. avb all day over harry.

at least avb shows our club respect.

in harry book he asked brendan rodgers to be hes number one even though he had not been offferd the england job lol
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 on Sun Nov 03 2013, 21:29

vis wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:
    I have never had issues with AVB's "murky" past. He was my choice behind Ranieri (murky past as well lol)to replace Redknapp  . . . . .
    To be fair, in retrospect, I was a bit harsh on Maximus. It may just be an aspect of AVB's personality that he dislikes, that is his right. However,he hasn't really said that, just citing him as a Cheatski reject and that does bug me as, IMO, it's not really valid 'reasoning.'

For my onion though, you don't have to like someone to support them when their goals match your own. He wants success for the club, maybe not as much as we crave it but, then again, maybe he does crave it as much as us, just for slightly different reasons.

I didn't like George Graham, but the guy wanted success so got my full backing. Unfortunately, not too many others thought the same.

There were more than a few fans didn't like Bill Nic back in the day, you can't please all of the people all of the time I guess.

Post by totalytot on Sun Nov 03 2013, 22:51

ionman34 wrote:
    vis wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:
    I have never had issues with AVB's "murky" past. He was my choice behind Ranieri (murky past as well lol)to replace Redknapp  . . . . .
    To be fair, in retrospect, I was a bit harsh on Maximus. It may just be an aspect of AVB's personality that he dislikes, that is his right. However,he hasn't really said that, just citing him as a Cheatski  reject and that does bug me as, IMO, it's not really valid 'reasoning.'

For my onion though, you don't have to like someone to support them when their goals match your own. He wants success for the club, maybe not as much as we crave it but, then again, maybe he does crave it as much as us, just for slightly different reasons.

I didn't like George Graham, but the guy wanted success so got my full backing. Unfortunately, not too many others thought the same.

There were more than a few fans didn't like Bill Nic back in the day, you can't please all of the people all of the time I guess.

I've never been completely happy about the appointment of AVB, not because he was at Chelsea but what he did there. His tactics were poor and so were the results and his man management was also bad....although to be honest managing the egos of Terry and Cole must be impossible at times.

But we needed Redknapp to go and like many supporters I have given AVB my support in the hope that he will put us into the big time.

He has been given the ammunition this season with £110 mil spend but I still worry about our style of play and tactics we are still not playing as a team. I also wonder that his recent outburst about the fans is maybe a sign of a manager under pressure. Remember when Redknapp had a go at the fans he was vilified.

I hope he comes good as looking for another manager all over again is not going to do us any good at all.

He has time, we are in a good position in the league I just hope it starts to gel and his style to make sense.

I think todays game against Everton will tell us a lot and remember their manager Martinez was one of the favourites for the Spurs manager a year ago.

Mikey M

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 04 2013, 03:41

well we played everton away from home and had all the first half.

everton had a 20 min spell in the second half
    he must be doing something right

1 goal conceded away from home

Post by totalytot on Mon Nov 04 2013, 06:22

Loughtonguy wrote:well we played everton away from home and had all the first half.

everton had a 20 min spell in the second half
    he must be doing something right

1 goal conceded away from home
    But could do better!!

Mikey M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24 2017, 23:51