The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Tue Sep 26 2017, 19:04 by BazSpur

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Fri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Fri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Thu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

» story so far ?
Thu Nov 20 2014, 03:20 by vis

» southampton team news
Wed Oct 08 2014, 09:47 by superkaboul

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Swansea City

vis

Swansea City

Post by vis on Tue Jan 14 2014, 07:50

Versus  

At

Sunday 19th January 2014.
    Kick-Off @ 13:30hrs GMT.

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," Ledley King 2012 (any Spurs fan would say the same)
    vis

Re: Swansea City

Post by vis on Tue Jan 14 2014, 07:54

Two of Swansea's most famous footballing sons - Cliff Jones and Terry Medwin - were signed by Spurs in the fifties, and played a vital part in the Spurs Double season of 1960-61. Cliff Jones was a regular of course, and Terry Medwin was the most used deputy for either Jones or Terry Dyson, which enabled him to get a League Championship medal. Cliff Jones was a record £35,000 signing for a winger in those days (1958), whilst Medwin was signed in 1956 for a more moderate £18,000. Cliff Jones is a sprightly 76 years old, and still graces the White Hart Lane hospitality suites. Terry Medwin is in his eightieth year, and as far as I am aware still going strong. Both will be keen to see their home team playing in the Premier League, and against their other footballing love - Tottenham Hotspur. I should also add Wales, for whom both won caps!

There have been many Swansea-Spurs connections over the years, but perhaps the most notable of them apart from Jones and Medwin is former Spurs Captain Ron Burgess. Burgess was not born in Swansea, but after leaving Spurs, having led us to promotion from Division Two in 1949-50, then the League Championship in 1950-51, Ron left for Swansea, where he played, acted as player/manager, and managed the club, before moving as manager to Watford in 1959. Ron Burgess died on 14th February, 2005, at the age of 87.

Incidentally, Terry Medwin had to retire from playing due to a broken leg, but went on to coach at both Fulham, then Swansea, where he was deputy to John Toshack, who was manager during Swansea's most successful league period between 1978 and 1983.

“I have been here since I was a boy, I have always considered it my Club and have always found it hard to imagine wearing the shirt of another team," Ledley King 2012 (any Spurs fan would say the same)

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean on Thu Jan 16 2014, 01:25

Good post Vis. They were both great players, Jones like a Greyhound going down the wing, flying into the box and taking of like an arrow to head a cross into the net. If on a run a player stuck his leg out to trip Cliff he would crash to the ground get up and get on with it.

Post by totalytot on Thu Jan 16 2014, 10:33

I remember seeing them all play Vis. Ron Burgess was a no nonsense sort of player not what you would call a skilfull sort of player but strong and he played along side Billy Nick of course another no nonsense player and they formed a great partnership.

Cliff Jones was one of my idols along with one of the greats John White who as most of you know died struck by lightning at a local golf course a young man who could pass a ball and land it on a penny.

Great players great days when playing was more important than how much and they stayed at a club for most of their careers.

It isn't until you look at the names that you realise that we had quite a good relationship with Swansea, a bit like our relationship with Unreal Murdrid.

Mikey M
    vis

Post by vis on Fri Jan 17 2014, 06:11

Ah our "special" relationship with Unreal Mudrid. They reap the seeds that we have sown and we end up with weeds & rocks in the fields!!! Thanx for the big-ups on the 2nd post guys. It was something I found on the web & edited a touch for this forum . . . . . .

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean on Fri Jan 17 2014, 06:29

Nice post Mikey. Re John White, what a player, a player as you say could pass a ball and land it on a penny, well put. Mind you Hoddle was another great passer of the ball. Now, I am not sure how posters feel, but I am not happy with the news that Holtby does not figure in Sherwoods plans as I rate him highly, a workhorse, and, imo, another player who can make some great passes, I would be gutted if he left and feel that with more starts he could become a Spurs great. Why is it we do not give these players a chance. Anyway, getting back to Swansea, Jones and Medwin, I believe they were the team that had the Charles brothers  playing for them, am I right, John Charles went to Juventus I believe, but I can't think of his brothers name. Some of those clubs back then had some very good players but had to sell to survive, Swansea, Burnley, I think Harry Gregg played for Doncaster before being signed by United, Kevin Keegan, did he play for Scunthorpe?. Those lower division clubs were feeder clubs to the big guns back then and produced some great players, now, we pay millions of pounds for players who can hardly talk a word of English, and lets be honest, how many have become all time greats for Spurs?. Here you are posters, name your ten top foreign players, not Scots, Irish or Welsh, who you think made it at Spurs, place them in order as to who you think was the best, number one being the greatest.
    vis

Post by vis on Fri Jan 17 2014, 07:12

With regards to Holtby Len, and totally off thread lol, I saw this today . . . . .

Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is set to block Schalke's move for Lewis Holtby, 23, because he does not want to help Arsenal land Julian Draxler by providing the Germans with the midfielder's replacement.

vis

Post by vis on Fri Jan 17 2014, 07:30

Ossie Ardilles
    Erik "the Viking" Thorsvedt
    Luka Modric
    Jurgen " the German" Klinnsman
    David "because I'm worth it" Ginola
    Dimitar Berbatov (lol that'll go down well)
    VdV
    Jan Vertonghen
    Steffen Iversen
    Pat van den Hauwe

And an honorary mention for Nayim for "that goal from the halfway line" alone even though "that goal" wasn't for Spurs but made him a hero for Spurs. . . . . . . . .

vis

Post by vis on Fri Jan 17 2014, 07:38

This video has the Spanish commentary. Classico . . . . . .

vis

Post by vis on Sat Jan 18 2014, 09:13

TEAM NEWS

Swansea goalkeeper Michel Vorm, striker Roland Lamah and defender Dwight Tiendalli may return after respective knee, abductor and hamstring injuries.

Wingers Pablo Hernandez and Nathan Dyer could also be available after injury, but Jonathan de Guzman remains out with an ankle problem.

Spurs winger Andros Townsend scored for the under-21 side in midweek on his return from a hamstring injury.

Midfielder Sandro is also expected to return after a month out.
    MATCH PREVIEW

Swansea City's name barely gets a mention when the pundits offer up their considered thoughts on which three clubs will be relegated from the Premier League this season. Maybe they're fooled by the Swans position in the table.

They are 13th heading into the weekend. It sounds safe, but a three-point advantage over the drop zone is the far less convincing reality.

Add a winless run of seven games, including four defeats in five, and it becomes easy to appreciate why many fans are becoming concerned.

Injuries haven't helped their cause and maybe the extra workload brought by progressing to the last 32 of the Europa League has had a negative impact too.

They've already played 10 matches in the competition and wouldn't be the first club to struggle to cope with the Thursday-Sunday schedule.

Napoli await in the next round and Swans boss Michael Laudrup will want more than a few Premier League points added before the Italian giants roll up at the Liberty in a month's time.

Recent history suggests the Dane won't get many, if any, against Tottenham who have won the last four meetings between the clubs. Gareth Bale was amongst the scorers on their last visit to Wales in March, while a Roberto Soldado penalty secured victory at White Hart Lane earlier this season.

Like Swansea, Spurs are also through to the knockout stages of the Europa League but their squad boasts the depth and experience to handle a hectic fixture list.

Since Tim Sherwood became head coach their league form has improved dramatically too, picking up 13 points out of a possible 15 to rejuvenate hopes of a top-four finish.

Suddenly Spurs are scoring again. The return from the cold of Emmanuel Adebayor and of Christian Eriksen after injury has helped enormously.

Swansea have never beaten Tottenham in the Premier League and I don't expect that to change just yet with Welsh worries intensifying and Spurs still soaring come Sunday teatime.
    MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Spurs are unbeaten against Swansea in six league encounters, five of which came in the last three seasons. (W5, D1)
    Swansea City's last league win against Tottenham Hotspur came in October 1982, when Max Thompson and Bob Latchford scored - one of only 10 wins for the relegated Swans that season.
    Jimmy Gilligan scored a League Cup second round first-leg winner for Swansea in September 1991, but Spurs rallied to win 5-1 in the return leg at White Hart Lane.

Swansea City

Swansea are without a win in seven Premier League games (D3, L4). It is their worst run of the season.
    Their previous longest sequence without a win was nine games in the Championship between November and December 2008.
    The Swans have conceded the first goal in 13 of 21 league games.
    City have lost four more matches (10) than they had at this stage last season.

Tottenham Hotspur

Spurs are unbeaten in five league games, winning four and drawing one.
    Tottenham have won their last four away league matches.
    The nine clean sheets kept by Tottenham keeper Hugo Lloris is the joint-highest tally in the Premier League this season.
    Michael Dawson is Tottenham's only ever-present in the Premier League this season.
    Four of Roberto Soldado's five league goals have come from the penalty spot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Aug 21 2018, 05:59