The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Norwich  EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Norwich  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Norwich  EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Norwich  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Norwich  EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Norwich  EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Norwich  EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Norwich  EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Norwich  EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Norwich  Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
LOVELOVEROCKET
BazSpur
vis
7 posters

Norwich

vis
    vis

Norwich  Empty Norwich

Post by vis Sun Feb 23 2014, 05:51

Norwich  150px-Norwich_City.svg  Versus  Norwich  150px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg

At

Norwich  220px-Carrow_Road_exterior

Norwich  125px-Premier_League.svg

Sunday 23rd February 2014.
    Kick-Off @ 16:00hrs GMT.
    vis
    vis

Norwich  Empty Re: Norwich

Post by vis Sun Feb 23 2014, 06:14

TEAM NEWS

Norwich will make a late decision on whether Jonny Howson can play after his recent back injury.

Ryan Bennett (thigh) and Jonas Gutierrez (calf) remain out, as do Michael Turner and Elliott Bennett.

Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor is expected to play despite reports he is carrying a leg injury.

He was rested against Dnipro in midweek along with Aaron Lennon, Kyle Walker and Hugo Lloris, who are all likely to be restored to the starting line-up.
    MATCH PREVIEW

Norwich's main problem this season has been goals - or rather a lack of them. The Canaries have scored just 19 times in their 26 Premier League fixtures.

When I saw them at West Ham in their last fixture they couldn't take any of a number of good chances, and paid the price as the Hammers got two late goals to move three points clear of the Canaries in the table.

This time around, Norwich face a Tottenham team aiming for a top-four finish and, in Emmanuel Adebeyor, a striker who has scored twice as many Premier League goals (six) in 2014 than Norwich have managed as a team this calendar year (three).

It is a fixture that stirs the emotions for City boss Chris Hughton, having spent 13 years as a player and 14 years on the coaching staff at White Hart Lane.

Yet this week has proven to Hughton there is no place in football for sentiment. Norwich, the only side in the bottom six going into the weekend not to have changed their manager, have told him "in no uncertain terms to 'get us out of that position and keep us out'", according to chief executive David McNally.

Several pundits have said their record of one win in their last 11 in the Premier League , and just four victories in their last 20, mean the Norfolk club are heading for relegation.

I'm personally not so sure about that, but you do have to look ahead to their last four fixtures of the season - when they face Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Arsenal - and worry about their status. Time is a commodity that is in short supply for the likeable Canaries manager.

Tottenham have recorded seven wins and just one defeat in their 10 Premier League matches under Tim Sherwood.

The way they took apart Newcastle in their last match suggests that Spurs may repeat their victory over Norwich at White Hart Lane last September, when Gylfi Sigurdsson scored twice in a 2-0 win.
    MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Tottenham are unbeaten in their last three Premier League matches against Norwich (W1, D2). They won the reverse fixture 2-0 at White Hart Lane in September.
    Norwich have not beaten Spurs in seven league matches at Carrow Road since Lee Power and Ian Crook scored in a 2-1 win in April 1991.
    The Canaries have failed to score in five of their last seven home fixtures against Tottenham, and scored just once on the other two occasions.
    The next goal scored by Spurs will be their 100th against Norwich in all competitions.

Norwich

Norwich have taken just eight points from the last available 33 (W1, D5, L5).
    The Canaries have failed to score in six of their last 10 league games, including the last two. In total they are without a goal in 265 Premier League minutes.
    Summer signings Ricky van Wolfswinkel and Johan Elmander have produced just one goal and six shots on target between them this season, despite playing a combined 1,961 minutes of Premier League football.
    Chris Hughton's side have scored more than once in the league on only three occasions this season.
    The Canaries are the only Premier League side yet to scored through a substitute.

Tottenham

Spurs have won 23 points since Tim Sherwood took charge of his first Premier League game on 22 December - second only to Chelsea (24).
    They have scored in all 10 league games under Sherwood, amassing 21 goals.
    Victory for Tottenham would equal their best points tally after 27 games of a Premier League season (53 in 2011-12).
    Spurs have the division's best away record (29 points). They have won eight and lost just one of their last 11 away games.
    Emmanuel Adebayor has scored eight goals from 13 shots on target in just 908 Premier League minutes, an average of a goal every 114 minutes.
    Adebayor has scored or set up 14 goals (11 goals, three assists) in his last 17 league appearances for Tottenham.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Feb 23 2014, 06:30

Need to win this to keep up with those around us.
    LOVELOVEROCKET
    LOVELOVEROCKET
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by LOVELOVEROCKET Mon Feb 24 2014, 03:52

FUCKING DIRE  WHAT WAS THAT ........................... Evil or Very Mad 

SO SLOW ITS EMBARESSING . NO PASSION NO FIGHT NO MOVEMENT.

45MINS AWAY FROM UTD BRIDGEING THE GAP TO 5 PTS YOU JUST KNOW THERE GOING GO PAST US .  Sad 

Last edited by LOVELOVEROCKET on Mon Feb 24 2014, 03:59; edited 1 time in total
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Feb 24 2014, 03:54

I don't enjoy being negative but that was yet another completely uninspiring 45 minutes of football from us. No pace, no ideas, no flair, no nothing. We seem to be passing backwards more than forwards and the forward balls are hopeful punts rather then thought out passes. Didn't think I would ever say this but watching Spurs recently is a chore not a pleasure . . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Feb 24 2014, 04:13

You just knew they were going to score. They are a poor side but they keep pushing forward looking for the goal and they got it.

We have no idea what to do with the ball when we get it. Players looking around wondering who to pass it to. The side is just full of very ordinary players.

Why is Eriksen not playing is he injured?

Difficult to watch anymore to painful.

Mikey M
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Feb 24 2014, 04:53

Absolute shite, fekin useless . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Feb 24 2014, 07:46

That was terrible. Tim is out of his depth me-thinks.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Feb 25 2014, 00:18

When the team doesnt perform, it starts to affect our better players, they dont perform, some of our better players start complaining (Vertonghen has been quoted in the Telegraph today as wanting to leave along with Lloris, but i believe its twisted journalsim!). I saw Lloris yesterday during the Norwich City game shaking his head constantly when Spurs were trying to get forward, i dont blame him to be honest, lack of motivation, movement & passion by the players.

This lack of passion, unfortunately, is the team losing trust in their Manager, Tim is out of his depth, which is expected. But then again i had a think, and if bringing in a decent Manager half way into the Season, when he hasnt had time to adjust the squad or to bring in players of his liking, could look bad on a New Manager, so waiting till the Summer or after the World Cup to appoint a new Manager would be better in the long run, even if it means suffering for the rest of this Season.

But saying all that, it still isnt an excuse for that abysmal performance yesterday, it was truely dsigraceful to everyone at the club and the players need putting in place.

Why Tim still believes in Bentaleb is unreal, a good player, but not a player who should replace or even make players sit on the bench like Eriksen or Soldado. Our formation yesterday was wrong! We should of been all out attack on a weak Norwich City team who are fighting relegation and were on the verge of losing their Manager, yet the wrong team was selected. This isnt rocket science, but reminded me of the stubborness from our former manager AVB.

The only positives i can think of after yesterdays woeful performance are we still have 11 games to go & are in hope of getting to the next round of the Europa League.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Tue Feb 25 2014, 00:30

I'm with you DJ on Eriksen. Not only did he not start him but he never brought him on in the 2nd half.
    We create very few goal opportunities in most games so why leave out the only player in the squad that can pick a pass.

I saw Lloris and Vert shaking their heads on several occasions and I can see a few of our players leaving in the summer especially after the WC when they will get their ears bent by players and agents and no CL next season.

It's a sorry state of affairs and a pretty awful season so far. Lets hope there's some joy in the Europa cup but to be honest next season could be worse.

Mikey M
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Feb 25 2014, 00:46

Cheers Mikey, but i think high expectations have caused this negativeness at the club between players & fans.. Without being at our best all Season, we havent done to badly to be honest, even though the team are lacking chemistry. The teams above us are better, simple as that, and we sit in a realistic position, it could of actually been much worse or maybe it might get worse, we shall find out.

My only worry is losing our best players, with the likes of Eriksen & Soldado on the bench, players will be thinking if they have a future at the club. I dont care what anyone says, i rate Soldado and i believe he will come good under a new and better manager, his confidence in front of goal has just been shot.

The Seasons not over yet, i will stick by my Spurs all the way and will be cheering them on to the last whistle.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Feb 25 2014, 01:55

Spot on posts reps.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Tue Feb 25 2014, 06:22

Levy is to busy changing managers instead of giving a manager time, and I mean three seasons to build a side that can compete with the big guns. He should have kept faith with AVB, he did not instead opting to go for Sherwood, and now with Sherwood still in charge he is looking for another manager, disgusting, and failure is the price we as Spurs supporters are paying, due to his inept performance as a chairman. But he will always be at the helm of our club, steering it onto the rocks while laying the blame at the managers feet, managers that he chose to take this club forward, because he is the type of man that will not hold his hands up and say, right I have made mistakes by sacking to many managers in the past, I have been to impatient expecting overnight success instead of giving them time to turn this club into a top premiership side. But I will not hold my breath because I know he does not have the courage to admit his mistakes.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Feb 25 2014, 08:13

Spot on Len. The man is a pariah.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Tue Feb 25 2014, 08:54

Talk already about Van Gaal after the world cup. Class Danny boy, class. Give a man 18 months and condemn him to death by meeja torture after just 2 months. I don't want Sherwood but Levy should grow some balls and let a man see his contract out regardless. Levy has no reputation left at all . . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Tue Feb 25 2014, 09:14

Boltjean wrote:Levy is to busy changing managers instead of giving a manager time, and I mean three seasons to build a side that can compete with the big guns. He should have kept faith with AVB, he did not instead opting to go for Sherwood, and now with Sherwood still in charge he is looking for another manager, disgusting, and failure is the price we as Spurs supporters are paying,  due to his inept performance as a chairman. But he will always be at the helm of our club, steering it onto the rocks while laying the blame at the managers feet, managers that he chose to take this club forward, because he is the type of man that will not hold his hands up and say, right I have made mistakes by sacking to many managers in the past, I have been to impatient expecting overnight success instead of giving them time to turn this club into a top premiership side. But I will not hold my breath because I know he does not have the courage to admit his mistakes.  

The thing is Len if Levy was chairman of Tesco, RBS, M&S or any major corporation he would have been out the door 4years ago but he owns 27% of the club is only answerable to Joe Lewis who never attends the matches anyway and has no real interest in the club only as a business.
    Maybe he sees his business going down the tubes and might make a change but I wouldn't hold out to much hope on that one.

Mikey M
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Tue Feb 25 2014, 21:23

Mikey

Whilst I agree that Levy has made mistakes and I criticise him as much as anyone, I can't agree with your statements about major corporations. He would be iseal for some of those positions you mention, whatever else he is an astute business man, and maybe thats his problem in stewarding a football club.

Len

Won't admit to being impatient and wanting overnight success isn't that what we all want?

Now having said that I agree he should have stuck with AVB until at least the end of this season but as I've said before, I still think that the parting of the ways was very much a spur of the moment thing by both parties.

What we have to accept is that we are light years away from competing with the Man C and Chelseas of this world and to even dream of a title win. However we should be at the very least where we are in the top 6. They can afford to keep changing managers and have done so more than Spurs.

totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Wed Feb 26 2014, 00:28

seebee1944 wrote:
    Mikey

Whilst I agree that Levy has made mistakes and I criticise him as much as anyone, I can't agree with your statements about major corporations. He would be iseal for some of those positions you mention, whatever else he is an astute business man, and maybe thats his problem in stewarding a football club.

Len

Won't admit to being impatient and wanting overnight success isn't that what we all want?

Now having said that I agree he should have stuck with AVB until at least the end of this season but as I've said before, I still think that the parting of the ways was very much a spur of the moment thing by both parties.

What we have to accept is that we are light years away from competing with the Man C and Chelseas of this world and to even dream of a title win. However we should be at the very least where we are in the top 6. They can afford to keep changing managers and have done so more than Spurs.

What I'm saying Seebee is it's about results and what you acheive for the company you run as the CEO of that company. He has not brought success to the club and if you relate that to major companies not making big profits then he has failed and would have been fired albeit with a big payoff that seems to be the norm these days.
    Sure he has help stabalise the company financially but this is the entertainment industry and the paying customer needs to be entertained and ultimately see success the same way major companies need to keep ahead of their competitors.

If we had not had money to spend in recent years then it would be a different story but every season we spend quite a lot compared to many clubs and we get a fair bit in also. This year without the Bale money we brought in around 20 mil from sales but we haven't spent wisely or at the right time in my opinion and that has to be down to the chairman as he does the deals and he also employed Baldini who fucked up big time with his choice of players in.

I totaly agree that we need to be a sound and stable club and we are by all accounts but we are a football club and need to have the best players we can and to have success.

As I say if we hadn't had money to spend like Norwich or Wigan etc then you have to accept it but we have and in the main they haven't worked the same can be said for the managers Levy has employed.

Mikey M
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Feb 26 2014, 00:33

Great post Mikey.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29 2024, 18:38