The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Aston Villa Away EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Aston Villa Away EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Aston Villa Away EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Aston Villa Away EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Aston Villa Away EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Aston Villa Away EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Aston Villa Away EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Aston Villa Away EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Aston Villa Away EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Aston Villa Away Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
Boltjean
totalytot
vis
7 posters

Aston Villa Away

vis
    vis

Aston Villa Away Empty Aston Villa Away

Post by vis Tue Oct 15 2013, 08:30

Aston Villa Away 150px-Aston_Villa.svg  Versus  Aston Villa Away 150px-Tottenham_Hotspur.svg

At

Aston Villa Away Z

Aston Villa Away 125px-Premier_League.svg

Sunday 20th October 2013.
    Kick-Off @ 1600hrs BST.
    vis
    vis

Aston Villa Away Empty Re: Aston Villa Away

Post by vis Tue Oct 15 2013, 08:39

Aston Villa Away Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9LrqeKX0MqXT7CNmfo6X-6jy0rzB9OHaFHsGwioglSP4z-7LNgg  Aston Villa Away Z

Aston Villa Away 9k=  Aston Villa Away Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQr9NruAv9V1snxDpVOko3ZTURB_oBEWR3M_1fIBCtucg_I0fJulQ

Aston Villa Away 9k=  Aston Villa Away 2Q==

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 08:44

wow ginola carrying some timber there lol.
    we in mid october and only had 7 prem games.
    hate the international breaks.

another one in november although i assume thats justs a midweek england friendly

Post by Guest Tue Oct 15 2013, 08:47

lloris
    walker kaboul verts rose/nauton
    towsend paullino holtby lamela
    erikson
    soldado

reason i not put sandro in is because hes got a game on wednsday plus all the flying
    prob should replace lamela aswell lol
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Thu Oct 17 2013, 03:58

Christian Benteke: Aston Villa striker could face Spurs

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke could be available for Sunday's Premier League match against Tottenham.

The Belgium international was ruled out for four to six weeks after suffering a hip injury in Villa's win at Norwich on 21 September.

But, after training with his national side this week, Benteke was an unused substitute against Wales on Tuesday.

"He must have been fit enough to go on the bench, or they wouldn't have done that," boss Paul Lambert told BBC WM.

"He's been in dialogue with our medical people. He's doing well and felt good.

"He was training Sunday and Monday with the national team. We trust Christian to come back and then see how he feels and judge from there."

Benteke, 22, is Villa's leading scorer this season with five goals.

Villa are unbeaten in the last three Premier League matches, and have picked up four points from two games without Benteke.

Post by Guest Thu Oct 17 2013, 06:56

why take players if they are injurid.

hope he dont start aganst us
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Sun Oct 20 2013, 07:40

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert will assess Christian Benteke's fitness before deciding whether the forward will face Tottenham.

Benteke has missed the last two league games with a hip injury but trained in the week with both Belgium and Villa.

Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon is in contention to face Villa having recovered from a foot problem.

Danny Rose and Etienne Capoue are definitely sidelined, while defender Younes Kaboul is a doubt.
    MATCH PREVIEW

In Tottenham's last two visits to Villa Park, they have metaphorically pulled Aston Villa's pants down with thumping 4-0 wins.

Last month in the Capital One Cup, Villa's Nicklas Helenius ACTUALLY had his shorts pulled down by Jan Vertonghen of Spurs in one of this season's more bizarre moments. Had a penalty been given and Vertonghen sent off, we could have seen a very different result - and I'd expect something at least a little different this time too.

Villa are five points better off than at this stage last season. That's not in itself a totally accurate barometer of improvement, but it is when you consider they've already had to play Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Manchester City.

The win over City in their last home game didn't half raise eyebrows. Yes, they were under the cosh for the most part, but to take the points showed steel in a still very young team (all under 30, with an average age for that game of 24).

They were also missing a crucial player in Christian Benteke, whose absence was even more glaringly obvious in the bore-draw that followed at Hull. He might be back for this one.

If Villa beating City was a surprise, then Spurs getting spanked 3-0 at home by West Ham a fortnight ago went into genuine shock territory. Prior to the game they'd only conceded two goals in 11 matches all season, but were opened up by a moment of Ravel Morrison magic and some astute tactical planning from Sam Allardyce.

Villa boss Paul Lambert says his own tactics won't involve "special attention" for Spurs' magic man of the moment Andros Townsend, but he's bound to get plenty from every other angle.

Who'd have thought after all the money Spurs have spent that the 'new Gareth Bale' was already at the club? Ah yes, Gareth Bale - remember him? Welsh chap. Scored a hat-trick in this fixture last season.
    MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Tottenham are unbeaten in their last nine league matches against Aston Villa (W6, D3) since a 2-1 home defeat in September 2008.
    Villa are winless in their last six league and cup fixtures against Spurs at Villa Park and have won only one of the last nine (in 2008).

Aston Villa

Villa's current three-match unbeaten run is their longest spell without a league defeat in 2013.
    They have not won successive Premier League home games in a single season since August 2010.
    The Villans have only won 10 of the 41 league matches at Villa Park since the start of 2011-12, barely averaging a point per game in that time (W10, D12, L19, Pts 42).
    Paul Lambert has won more away league games (seven) as manager of Aston Villa than he has at Villa Park (six).
    Villa have not kept a clean sheet in their last 14 Premier League home games, conceding 25 goals in that run.
    They have the lowest average possession figure in the Premier League this season and only saw 33% of the ball in their last home game against Manchester City.

Tottenham

Spurs conceded more goals (three) in 13 minutes against West Ham in their last match than they had in their first six league games (two). That 3-0 defeat ended a six-match unbeaten run in all competitions.
    All three of Tottenham's away fixtures this season have ended 1-0 (W2, L1).
    They had attempted an unrivalled 117 shots in the Premier League this season ahead of the weekend.
    Mousa Dembele could make his 100th Premier League appearance.
    Andros Townsend had attempted (50) and completed (33) more dribbles than any other player in the Premier League this season prior to the current round of fixtures.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sun Oct 20 2013, 09:07

Still think AVB doesn't know his best team and will still be difficult to score goals.

Mikey M
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sun Oct 20 2013, 22:57

Early in the season I know, but I do not like the look of the table at the moment and it does worry me. We are currently 7th 6 point's behind the gooners and 3 point's off 4th spot although if we win today and City have a better goal average we can only move up to 5th. This is imo a must win game and I never thought that I would be saying that so early in the season. We can't afford to let the leading pack get away otherwise I think we will struggle to get a top six place come the end of  the season. The gooners can not seem to do anything wrong, makes me sick. As I said in a post a little while ago, they sign one player and sit on top of the table, we sign seven spend over 100 million and sit in 7th place. Now I know it takes players time to gel, but I do not want to see us slipping down the table while they do so AVB must find a settled team damned quick before to much damage is done, if it means bringing back Ade, then he must do so, if it means leaving out signings who feel they have the right to play because they cost the club big money even though they might not be hitting the form we expect from them so be it. I still say we should not have bought so many players in one go.
    LOVELOVEROCKET
    LOVELOVEROCKET
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by LOVELOVEROCKET Sun Oct 20 2013, 23:28

i dont want to see us play dms at home teams sit back its up to us score play the direct players who go forward not pass side to side and back.

to many wasted chances ? needs to be better !

settled team I agree still now i dont know our best team !

closing down ? we let teams play (watch today) dont seam to get in there faces quicker close quick enough !

all to static !! i want to see player gamble once in a while overlapping runs not the obvious ball ect ect.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Sun Oct 20 2013, 23:41

We need the midfield to be stronger & more cohesive today. Another show like against the Bubble Blowers and Villa will beat us . . . .
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Oct 21 2013, 01:08

BREAKING TEAM NEWS - Aston Villa v Tottenham (1600 BST)

Good news for Tottenham. There is no Christian Benteke in the Aston Villa squad. They are unchanged from the team that drew with Hull City last time out.

Villa's starting XI: Guzan, Bacuna, Vlaar, Clark, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Luna, Delph, Weimann, Agbonlahor, Kozak
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Oct 21 2013, 01:17

BREAKING TEAM NEWS - Aston Villa v Tottenham (1600 BST)

Vlad Chiriches makes his Premier League debut in Tottenham's defence and Sandro returns in midfield to make his first Premier League start since January. Lewis Holtby replaces Christian Eriksen, and Roberto Soldado is up front.

Tottenham's starting XI: Lloris, Walker, Chiriches, Dawson, Vertonghen, Paulinho, Sandro, Townsend, Holtby, Sigurdsson, Soldado.
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Oct 21 2013, 01:45

FFS still no Lamela unleash him Sandro and Paulhino the bash brothers LOL glad to see Soldado back up top he offers more than Defoe more a team player Oh FFS Verts at LB affraid  does not bode well hes shocking there
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Oct 21 2013, 01:50

There's not a lot of creativity in that MF AVB is going for the draw. Dissapointing that to me. No Eriksen I don't understand that either.

With most of the top teams scoring for fun yesterday I thought he would have gone for it today.

Where's our 30 mil wonder kid?

Mikey M
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Oct 21 2013, 02:49

Thats half the job done
    COYS . . . .
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Oct 21 2013, 02:59

Poor game though Vis. The first half hour was some of the worst football I've seen from us for a long time, the passing was awful.

Sure if it stays like that we get 3 points but the way we play wont win anything.

Where is the playmaker it's crying out for Eriksen? Why was he not in the side?

Mikey M
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Oct 21 2013, 03:57

Mikey I'll take the 3 points mate. And slowly the team will develop into something a bit more fluent . . . .
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Oct 21 2013, 04:38

I know I'm gonna sound like lought but Defoe would have blasted Soldados chance against Guzman or rolled it on the floor like against West Ham.

vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Oct 21 2013, 04:41

Well chuffed with the result. I thought today may have proved tricky. Another clean sheet? Do we lose only when we concide lol? The goal will have done Soldado the power of good. Surprised about the selection & subs. It worked for AVB. Agree that he is still finding his best 11. But I'm sure he will. I cannot find any negatives in todays game. Reckon we will see Eriksen and Lamela in Europe this week. Hey another 3 points and the Spurs go marching on . . . . . . .
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Oct 21 2013, 04:46

Aston Villa Away _70599545_townsend_reuters

England's man of the moment Andros Townsend helped Tottenham bounce back from their shock home loss to West Ham United with a convincing win at Aston Villa.

Townsend, outstanding in England's victories against Montenegro and Poland that secured their place at next summer's World Cup in Brazil, broke the deadlock with a fortunate first-half goal as his cross floated beyond Villa goalkeeper Brad Guzan.

Sadly the goal was overshadowed by an ugly incident as referee's assistant David Bryan was struck by a smoking flare thrown by a celebrating Spurs fan - although he recovered to continue.

As Aston Villa struggled to make on impact on Spurs' defence, manager Paul Lambert called on fit-again striker Christian Benteke as a substitute for the last 30 minutes but it was to no avail.

Roberto Soldado wrapped up the three points that takes Andre Villas-Boas' side up to fifth place in the Premier League when he rounded off a sweet passing move with a clinical finish after 69 minutes.

There will, however, be focus on that incident in which the referee's assistant could have been more seriously hurt - with the Football Association sure to want further details of events in the aftermath of Townsend's goal.

In a largely undistinguished first half it was, almost inevitably, Townsend who made the first decisive contribution after 31 minutes with a goal that contained more than an element of good fortune as his whipped cross from the right flank eluded everyone, including Guzan, and crept in.

Townsend's first Premier League goal for Spurs was followed by the incident in which the smoke bomb, hurled from among the visiting fans, struck the referee's assistant on the back. He took a few moments to regain his composure after the understandable shock and was fortunately able to carry on.

Villa, who had lacked serious threat, apart from when Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris had to turn away Ashley Westwood's free-kick, had another opportunity when Andreas Weimann fired a shot into the side-netting from the edge of the area.

Spurs ended the half on top and Guzan did well to turn away another Townsend effort - and repeated his heroics four minutes after the break from Paulinho.

Villa fans had been chanting for the introduction of Benteke from the opening moments of the second half and they got their wish on the hour when he replaced Libor Kozak.

And the powerful Belgian striker almost made his mark inside three minutes when he headed just over from Leandro Bacuna's cross.

It was Spurs, however, who had the quality to put the game out of Villa's reach with the slickest of goals that hinted at the quality in their squad.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert:

"It was pretty tight. We had chances and there wasn't much in it. In the second half we came out and played really well.

"I thought they scored against the run of play in the second half. We were playing really well, with confidence and the crowd were really up for it.

"Starting with Christian Benteke was a big ask because he has only trained a couple of days in a month. He got 30 minutes and that will have done him the world of good."

Analysis

"It is Tottenham's fourth successive away win without conceding a goal. Andros Townsend was the star of the show. He scored a first-half goal he didn't really mean. Roberto Soldado worked hard to create an opportunity which he finished
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Oct 21 2013, 05:26

Aston Villa Away _70598677_185412394

Linesman hit by flare during Aston Villa v Tottenham Hotspur game

Assistant referee David Bryan was hit by a flare thrown from the Tottenham supporters' end during their match against Aston Villa at Villa Park on Sunday.

West Midlands Police have arrested two men aged 25 and 47 over the incident.

Bryan was struck on the back of the neck moments after Andros Townsend gave Spurs the lead in the first half.

He was able to continue without treatment, though smoke from the flare delayed the restart of the game.

Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas said: "It is not great to see. It should be avoided completely. It touched the linesman and situations like this don't have a place in football. I sincerely hope it doesn't happen again."

A Football Association spokesman said: "The FA will investigate this matter, which is unacceptable. We will await the match officials' report and will be speaking to the clubs. Such incidents highlight the dangers of pyrotechnics being used in a football stadium."

In May, a 15-year-old boy suffered lung damage from a smoke bomb thrown during Villa's game at Wigan.

Aston Villa Away _70600017_70598893

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 05:40

how can someone say that was some of the worst passing in the first half. thought we played well controlled the game.

good team selection from avb and good subs.

and thats what happens when dembele and defoe dont start. soldado link up play. holtby lively always looking for a forward ball. sandro a beast and paullino what a player

Post by Guest Mon Oct 21 2013, 05:48

lloris not much to do. 6
    walker 7 great game
    dawson. a lot better from him today7
    chirhch 7 good debut. good disturbution from him
    verts 7 decent at left back.
    sandr0 7 the beast is back
    paullino 9 mom for me
    towsend8 great game from him. he was passing more aswell
    holtby7 tried but not much came off for him. def like him in the team
    siggy 7 good first half but faded second
    soldado8 great finnish. great link up play. thought he was superb

good line up from avb. subs at the right time.
    good to see lennon back.

without dembele starting our passing was more urgent and meaningfull. but he does do a good job when he comes on to tighten the midfeild up
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Oct 21 2013, 06:23

Loughtonguy wrote:how can someone say that was some of the worst passing in the first half.  thought we played well controlled the game.

good team selection from avb and good subs.

and thats what happens when dembele and defoe dont start.    soldado link up play. holtby lively always looking for a forward ball. sandro a beast and paullino what a player

it was shocking it was like watching paint dry Villa knew it was going to Townsend all the time down the right we do need to up the tempo we play so slow a wins a win though but we do need to play a bit faster

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28 2024, 20:00