The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.?

So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? Empty So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07 2010, 13:26

With so many points dropped at home this season to teams that come to defend a point how should harry cope with this ?
    Seriously, i see moans and groans and quotes that he shouldnt play this one or that one, so what would you do to counteract the oppositions defensive tactics ?

I am happy with harry and see that a few others are getting games now, i think pav would have been used since he last played and scored (if he wasnt injured)

One suggestion i would make is in such circumstances is to slow things down a bit , the pace of yesterdays game was frantic, lots of players were running round like headless chickens, passes were going astray, use a bit of thought and let players get into position before committing them to the pass.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? Empty Re: So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.?

Post by ionman34 Sun Feb 07 2010, 17:02

lewspurs wrote:With so many points dropped at home this season to teams that come to defend a point how should harry cope with this ?
    Seriously, i see moans and groans and quotes that he shouldnt play this one or that one, so what would you do to counteract the oppositions defensive tactics ?

I am happy with harry and see that a few others are getting games now, i think pav would have been used since he last played and scored (if he wasnt injured)

One suggestion i would make is in such circumstances is to slow things down a bit , the pace of yesterdays game was frantic, lots of players were running round like headless chickens, passes were going astray, use a bit of thought and let players get into position before committing them to the pass.

I see it as a simple equation really Lew. Get more clinical in front of goal.

In yesterdays match, once again we created a plethora of chances that went begging. I've been saying to Lought that the forward line is our weak area and the conversion stats will bear me out in this.

The team are playing extremely well. Villa didn't look like a rival, they looked more like a team battling for every point they can gain, they looked like the Stokes and the Wolves of the Prem. They fear us, they know we are a better side but they know that if they restrict our chances then they'll always be in with a shout because our conversion rate is so poor.

Think about it, with the chances we create, if we converted 50% of them we'd be in the top three for definite and kicking at the ankles of the top 2.

The way I see it, that, and our inferiority complex against the top 3, are the only two hurdles left for Redknapp to overcome. That done and all that is left is tweaking and strengthening.

We're nearly there as a title challenging side. In the past few months we have dominated virtually every game we've played but let other teams off the hook because goals win games and we're not scoring enough for the chances we're making.

I think it's time for Crouch to take a rest. He's playing well but he's not getting goals and that's starting to cost us. However, Defoe's conversion rate is probably worse. He's got more goals but he does get a number of chances and those penalty misses have meant the difference between 1 point or 3. He still remains our most potent goal threat though so he needs to remain.

In fact he is pivotal to our strike force with the others playing off him as he is the only forward we have with true pace. We need another IMHO.

Having said all this though, I think we'll see some changes very soon. Once Pav is fit I think he'll get a look in unless Eidur has a great start to his career at Spurs. Either way, as long as the goals start going in at a better percentage, I won't care who starts.

Get it right up front then 4th, and possibly 3rd, is ours for the taking.

So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? Empty Re: So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.?

Post by Guest Sun Feb 07 2010, 23:06

I think width is our problem at the mo. We really miss Lennon. Bentley has done well but he dosen't go at defenders with pace & go by them.Also I would like to see 'arry mix up the front men a bit more. Maybe when teams are defending in depth we should go with just 3 at the back with Palacious or Thudd covering if needed, 3 up front and push the midfeild up with 3 of the four supporting the front men . . . .. . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sun Feb 07 2010, 23:37

Its as Loughtan has said in another thread ...If our strikkers were of the near calibre of Rooney or Torres we would be maybe 10 points better off...

Harrys biggest mistake has been his love of the Defoe , Crouch partnership .......

Harry has got us defensively, tip top, breaking goals against records at home etc... All this with the problems we've had in those central positions too .... Midfield is comming on good .....Hudd I wasnt sure about before Harry came to the Lane but he has bought the boy on good and playing him ahead of Jenas , well done to Harry on that ...Getting Wilson in, well done to that too Harry ...

Its the strikers innit ?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Feb 08 2010, 00:00

Harry has done it the right way. Sorting the defence then the midfield and I am sure he will get the strikers singing from the same song sheet too. I think it is safe to say we will see a new arrival ion the summer up front as I have doubts Keane will return and Gudjohnson's loan spell will be over. Maybe a promising new face up front will shake the forward line up a bit.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08 2010, 00:54

Gomes
    Corluka/King Dawson Bassong
    Palacious/Thudd

Lennon/Bentley Modders Bale/Kranky
    Defoe Crouch Pavy

When teams are doing nowt but defend we have to take the game to them . . . . ..
    This would give us cover at the back with pace for the counter-attack and plenty up front . . . . .
    Then all we have to do is turn chances into goals . . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08 2010, 02:36

i think when we cant break teams down after 70 mins you need to try sumthing differnt. we need somone who can run at defenders and take them on usen skill. gio or tarrabt would be ideal to bring on towards the end of the game. imagine him comming on yesterday and runnin at villa tired defenders. people forget he last played for us when harry brough him on with10 minutes to go a t home to arsenal and he run passed all there midfeilders and set modric up and he flufed it.
    as for crouch and defoe they both overreated but we have to play defoe as he has pace and the only 1 who looks like scoren

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08 2010, 05:55

Loughtonlegend wrote:i think when we cant break teams down after 70 mins you need to try sumthing differnt. we need somone who can run at defenders and take them on usen skill. gio or tarrabt would be ideal to bring on towards the end of the game. imagine him comming on yesterday and runnin at villa tired defenders.

Lought ! we can all imagine things that look good on paper, ask yourself why harry has loaned out taarabt and dos santos,? its to give them experience, i really think both those players yesterday would have met with the same success as those we already had out there, i don t think they are quite ready yet mate from what i have seen of them, great potential but need time.

No the players that could have made a difference are injured, lennon and pav , but we had nothing to lose swapping guddy for crouch, but harry didnt think the same and he,s the boss.

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08 2010, 06:33

rooney was blended in at 16. of course gio is good enough. he came on in a game for barcelona and got hat trick then he got man of torunment. as for adel i agree he needs to learn to pass but from the few times i sen him at qpr he does pass more. these players have skill and can beat a man. . imagine either 1 of them at front for us instead of crouch. imagine them getting ball to feet and running at a tired dunn. all crouch did was try and hold it up

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08 2010, 08:16

Loughtonlegend wrote:rooney was blended in at 16. of course gio is good enough. he came on in a game for barcelona and got hat trick then he got man of torunment. as for adel i agree he needs to learn to pass but from the few times i sen him at qpr he does pass more. these players have skill and can beat a man. . imagine either 1 of them at front for us instead of crouch. imagine them getting ball to feet and running at a tired dunn. all crouch did was try and hold it up

I know where you are coming from lought, but if you remember the few matches dos santos had last season (the ones i saw ) he was mainly inaffectual, yes he has bags of skilful potential the same as taarabt does, but whats the point of beating 3 defenders and then giving it away to the 4th, you need an end product and if it takes a bit of time and experience then thats what you have to do for certain players to mature.

You use rooney as an example here lought but he was exceptional, as was the young trevor francis years back and glen hoddle for that matter but in the main most footballers take longer to reach their potential.

The thing is lought ! it doesnt matter who harry picks and chooses, there will always be someone who is unhappy with what the bloke does, we all have an idea in our minds who we want to play and where, but he has the final say, and i would ask are you on the training ground ? are you present at spurs training ground matches ? no ! well harry is and he has the final word.

Thats not to say we cant question what he does but lets just say he has a little bit more access to tottenham hotspur players then we do, he knows what is going on behind the scenes, he works with the players day in day out, i think i will trust him more than i would someone coming on here saying "why doesnt he play this one or that one "

Post by Guest Mon Feb 08 2010, 09:24

wel your right about gio he didnt seem to do much in the games he did start. but i think tarrabt has looked good he just needs to learn to pass which is down to the coachin staff to drum it into him. ronaldo in hes 1st season was awfull no final ball and now look at him. im sure if adel was a man u player fergie would bring the best out of him.

and thats why english manager wil always fail. they would rather pick a strong pysical lad over a small lad with skill

Post by Guest Tue Feb 09 2010, 08:36

[quote="ionman34]
    I see it as a simple equation really Lew. Get more clinical in front of goal.

In yesterdays match, once again we created a plethora of chances that went begging. I've been saying to Lought that the forward line is our weak area and the conversion stats will bear me out in this. [/quote]

Geez, you've been watch us ain't cha ion?

[quote="ionman34]Get it right up front then 4th, and possibly 3rd, is ours for the taking.[/quote]

Lol, you had to spoil a good pitch didn't cha So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? Icon_smile
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Feb 10 2010, 22:11

quote="BazSpur (Admin)"]Harry has done it the right way. Sorting the defence then the midfield and I am sure he will get the strikers singing from the same song sheet too. I think it is safe to say we will see a new arrival ion the summer up front as I have doubts Keane will return and Gudjohnson's loan spell will be over. Maybe a promising new face up front will shake the forward line up a bit.

Hey mate, I was a fair player in my day but I'm older than David James and have less hair than Jim!!

I'm not the Messiah, Honestly.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Wed Feb 10 2010, 22:27

I think it is safe to say we will see a new arrival ion the summer up front

Baz, that will largely depend on where we finish, if its top 4, your talking Huntelaar et al, if not, god knows.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Feb 10 2010, 23:29

ionman34 wrote:quote="BazSpur (Admin)"]Harry has done it the right way. Sorting the defence then the midfield and I am sure he will get the strikers singing from the same song sheet too. I think it is safe to say we will see a new arrival ion the summer up front as I have doubts Keane will return and Gudjohnson's loan spell will be over. Maybe a promising new face up front will shake the forward line up a bit.

Hey mate, I was a fair player in my day but I'm older than David James and have less hair than Jim!!

Lol, Ion, sticky fingers mate. Still, you couldn't do a worse job than that sorry lot up front.

I'm not the Messiah, Honestly.

Damn and there was me thinking you gave out the passes to get through the pearly gates. So how we do cope with teams that come to defend.? Lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 19:48