The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
harry article EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
harry article EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
harry article EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
harry article EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
harry article EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
harry article EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
harry article EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
harry article EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
harry article EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

harry article Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

harry article

harry article Empty harry article

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 08:34

Arry Out, Guus In For Tottenham...
    Posted 15/02/10 09:39EmailPrintSave

This weekend some important news was confirmed but was largely overlooked. Guus Hiddink will leave his job as Russia's coach in the summer and apparently wants to return to the Premier League.

Liverpool might like him but their lack of stability and financial constraints make him an unlikely appointment on Merseyside.

Manchester City will doubtless get rid of Roberto Mancini this summer and have the money but who wants to work somewhere where you'll be out after six months if you don't match up to Garry Cook's targets. In fact, who would want to work with Garry Cook, period?

With the Chelsea, Manchester United and ars*nal gigs not available, the ideal club for Hiddink is clearly Spurs. They are the biggest club he could realistically take over in the Premier League.

They spend more money than anyone except Chelsea and City. They have a very good squad already in situ and they currently have a manager who is increasingly looking as though he's done as much as he can for the club.

For some reason I know a lot of Spurs fans. To a man and woman, they have little or no affection for Redknapp. Indeed, many actively dislike him being in charge, which is odd considering the obsequious media coverage that follows Harry around. These fans don't buy it. They don't think he makes many glaring errors - though they cringe at some of his interviews - rather, they think he just doesn't do enough. After yesterday's game, two cited his use of subs as consistently poor, subbing like for like or not subbing at all even when a win is needed.

Interestingly, they would all still rather have had Martin Jol in charge who quietly achieved two fifth-place finishes for the club in his second and third seasons. Can you imagine how great Redknapp would be painted by his press mates if he had done that? It would be nauseatingly fawning.

I remember Harry as a nippy winger at Upton Park. I remember him as Bournemouth and West Ham manager. These days, he actually looks bored by the football while on the touchline. He sits hunched up in a big coat, his body language suggesting a man turned in on himself. He rarely seems to even speak. He used to be much more animated. Fans should be asking if the issues he's dealing with off the pitch are impacting on his performance.

At times he appears to look sleepy and ready for retirement. Look at Sir Alex Ferguson; he's a few years older but still full of energy for the fight, punching the air at every goal. Look at Giovanni Trappatoni, he's 70 but prowls the technical area like a white leopard. Bobby Robson at 63 was exuberant pitch side. Wenger, just three years younger, restlessly prowls around like a stick insect, perhaps more animated now than ever before. All seem more full of football passion than Harry.

Is Redknapp really the inspirational character we're told he is? Perhaps he used to be, but in 2010, at a club as big and cosmopolitan as Spurs, is he anymore? It looks doubtful. The foreign lads don't even do the golf, after all.

If the club did make it to the Champions League, Redknapp has very little European experience, so could he cope? Indeed, in last year's UEFA Cup, many said he all but threw in the towel. This despite Spurs' great traditions in that competition. And there were no signs of disappointment at finishing outside the Europa League places for this season. So fans are right to at least doubt his European credentials.

Hiddink on the other hand, knows world football comprehensively. Could Redknapp have taken South Korea as far in a World Cup? Come back when you've stopped laughing.

A closer look at his long record as a manager reveals little success in his 27 years; one third-tier title, one second-tier win and an FA Cup victory that was acquired largely because the club was prepared to bankrupt itself to buy and pay players.

It's not a stellar record of silverware from a 27-year career, and especially poor for a manager who has acquired such a glowing reputation in the press. His credentials rest on a couple of very good seasons at West Ham at the end of the 90s and for resurrecting Portsmouth in the Championship. While this is far from terrible and shows him as a decent manager, Spurs need much better and they can afford it. Hiddink must be their man.

They need a clever, intelligent, proven, top-class manager to elevate them. There is no chance of Redknapp doing that. Indeed, I think he doesn't even believe he can. He has an air of careless resignation about him and doesn't seem comfortable not being the underdog anymore.

Spurs' money has largely bought quality. While such things are always debatable, the squad looks as good if not better than City and Villa, better and with more depth than Liverpool. They have less significant long-term injuries than ars*nal, a better keeper and more striking depth. They have a better defence - conceding four less goals so far. With this in mind, surely they should be closer than nine points to ars*nal, in a season where the Gunners have lost six games. It suggests that the talent is there but the extra sparkle, motivation and creativity that a brilliant manager gives to a team simply isn't.

In yesterday's cup game, his side were surprisingly out-fought and out-played by Bolton and Kevin Davies' bottom in the first half. That doesn't suggest a manager able to get his team properly up for the cup. The second half was much better, as it should have been with the quality players Spurs have. But afterwards, can anyone say what Redknapp did to help Spurs win that game other than just hope his talented players pulled it out the bag?

We hear from ex-players and press mates that he's a good man-manager, good at motivating. While that may work in the lower leagues or for a club in the doldrums, depressed by defeat, you need much, much more than that at the highest level. Wheeling and dealing and fire-fighting is not needed at Spurs, innovative, progressive coaching and inspirational leadership most certainly is. Does any Spurs fan think they're getting that from Redknapp, Bond and Jordan?

His allies speak of the progress Spurs are making, citing their improved position this year over last. However, that is only progress from a year-long nadir. Prior to that, Spurs were actually really good under Jol and did well in the UEFA Cup too. Redknapp has returned them to being contenders, well done Harry, but that's as much as he's ever going to do. One win in the last six in the league shows a team in a slump and in danger of finishing outside the UEFA Cup places again at a time when the top four has been, for once, achievable.

In Jol they had a media-friendly, charming, well-rounded manager who the fans loved. Disposing of him so rapidly after a bad start to a season still smacks of unjustified panic but sticking with Redknapp, if they could get Hiddink, would be an even bigger act of lunacy.

It's time for Spurs to once again go Dutch.

harry article Empty Re: harry article

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 09:03

Rumour has it that Hiddink is to become manager of Turkey. Jobs still yours for now Lought ha ha . . .. . .

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 09:15

Lought ! god knows where you get all this rubbish, ffs give harry a break, it aint all over until the fat slag sings, lets see what has been achieved at the season close.

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 10:21

if i was manager mate we would of got at least 6more points on the board by now. theres no way id lose to stoke wolves h/a then 1 point aganst hull. plus tarrabt would be billed as the next ronaldo. pav and defoe would be the best pairing since klinsmann and sheringham.
    plus peniltys would be practiced lol

i would also let women in for £5 unless they bring a friend and kids in for £5. the place will b packed

and all our crap players would be sold to west ham. nuffing new there then lol

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 17:51

Loughtonlegend wrote:if i was manager mate we would of got at least 6more points on the board by now. theres no way id lose to stoke wolves h/a then 1 point aganst hull. well its all maybe lought ! you aint manager and if you were you would still get an unhappy section of people lambasting every little decision you made. plus tarrabt would be billed as the next ronaldo i know of your love for adel lought, thing is he aint exactly doing ronaldo like performances at 17th placed qpr now is he.? pav and defoe would be the best pairing since klinsmann and sheringham. I would like to see pav and defoe up front mate, and we are all shocked that harry hasnt at least given the pair a few games together this season.
    plus peniltys would be practiced lol I would pick a player who has a fierce shot, so thud would come into it but krancjar would personally be my choice.

i would also let women in for £5 unless they bring a friend and kids in for £5. the place will b packed Why ? whl usually is full to its capacity in most games, we are a well supported club anyway without having to make concessions but i will say that it is expensive to go to a match these days, players are so greedy, blame them for the costs of supporting the club , spurs wage bill must be colossal every month.

and all our crap players would be sold to west ham. nuffing new there then lol
    the sad thing about this lought is that they havent got any players i would want to see at spurs, and usually we buy from them and part ex a couple of plonkers, so yeah maybe taarabt could end up there LOL. sorry lought i dont really rate the bloke, but due respect to you mate if you do and i stand to be proved wrong, he just aint prem quality imo.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Feb 16 2010, 19:19

the place will b packed
    Lought, its packed anyway!!
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Feb 16 2010, 19:40

Give Harry the Gooner after less than one season because we think there's a better man out there in Hiddink?

Anyone else experiencing Deja Vue here?

Haven't we been down this road with Jol and Ramos?

Some people never learn.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 17 2010, 07:42

lew its not tarrabt fault qpr keep losen. at the start of the season he was in the side and they kept winning and he was there top scorer. now mic the clown hartford is in charge he wont play him. Look at what ronaldinino doing to man u. thats what people with skill can do. run at defedners. when has crouch ever turned and run at a defender

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20 2024, 08:33