The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Premier League play-off's EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Premier League play-off's EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Premier League play-off's EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Premier League play-off's EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Premier League play-off's EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Premier League play-off's EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Premier League play-off's EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Premier League play-off's EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Premier League play-off's EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Premier League play-off's Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

Premier League play-off's

Premier League play-off's Empty Premier League play-off's

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21 2010, 10:41

Not sure if this belongs in here or another section ! Lol sorry Baz I'll let you decide. Now back to the thread. Do we agree with the suggestion that a play-off competiton is introduced to the Premier League for teams finishing 4th-7th ? Myself I'm not sure it's fair. Everyone has got used to play-offs in the lower leagues, but at first there was huge opposistion towards it. Yes it maintains intrest through-out the season for lot's of clubs and the end of season big pay days, and opportuinity for a day at Wembley, are very alluring. The team that wins and gains promotion has a financial injection that helps greatly. The losing team ? Ouch. I still prefer the original system where the teams finishing (2 places as I recall) just above the relegation spots in the higher league had to play the teams finishing just below the promotion spots in the lower league. I just feel that if your going to have a play-off system this is fairer. Anyway we have the system we have now, and it seems to work and clubs seem to be happy with it. But would this work for the Champions League spot, at present offered to the team that finishes 4th ? Is it a fair way to do it ? I'm just not sure. If a team finishes on joint points and goal difference with the 3rd & 2nd placed team but misses out on goals scored but 10 points clear of 5th and, maybe 16 ahead of 7th is this right that they have to play an extra 3 games, 1 of them a one-off, to qualify for a competition that they should have, by their seasons performance, have earnt the right to be in anyway ? OK if the team are that good they should romp it but it aint guranteed. Imagine doing this then having to face, lets say. an average but difficult to beat team who have had a good season. Over 2 legs they just get beaten but the team from 4th pick up suspensions and injuries. Into the final and to be blocked out then lose on penelties ? Ouch it's Spurs world lol. On the other hand as Spurs would we be happy to finish 7th then win the play-off ? Of course we would ! Could it make a club settle into an area where they are just good enough to finish 7th, maybe 6th, and pick up the vast sums that a Chumps League play-off situation would generate and be happy with that alone ? I see the pluses of keeping clubs & fans intrested up until the seasons final day but I don't see the fairness of doing it this way. Just as a spanner in the works at the end, 4th place will only keep a qualifying place for English clubs so long as English clubs keep doing well in Europe ! And why call it Champions League when teams finishing 4th contest it ???? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm now theres another thread . . . . . .

Last edited by VisionarySound on Sun Feb 21 2010, 10:51; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : awful sphellin misteaks)
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Premier League play-off's Empty Re: Premier League play-off's

Post by MarkA249 Sun Feb 21 2010, 21:28

I think its a good idea. Fat spanish waiter at Liverpool is already said its a rubbish idea because hes scared they only need 14 teams to agree though
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Sun Feb 21 2010, 21:39

Absolutely NOT. The team that finishes fourth have earned the right by being in that position after 42 games. Just another sop to tv. Wasn't there a season when Ipswich finished third in the championship 16 points clear but still lost out in the play offs. Play offs make a nonsense of playing 40 odd games.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 21 2010, 21:40

im with the fat waitor no play offs please, only the best should qualify for champ league and the best is decided over a season not 2 games.
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Mon Feb 22 2010, 00:13

imo there should be only 1 team in the champions league and thats the winners of the prem end of

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 01:32