The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
That truth of that tackle. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
That truth of that tackle. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
That truth of that tackle. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
That truth of that tackle. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
That truth of that tackle. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
That truth of that tackle. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
That truth of that tackle. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
That truth of that tackle. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
That truth of that tackle. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

That truth of that tackle. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

That truth of that tackle.

That truth of that tackle. Empty That truth of that tackle.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 23:01

No one says to a jump jockey, "you might kill yourself all in the name of your sport " and only owners with feelings towards their horses are moved when one of those beautiful animals are put down with broken backs, legs and knecks......all in the name of sport.

Ramsey is in a contact sport, the dangers are rife.........a boot in the head could kill ? boxers too face the same dangers.............many have died performing in the sport they love.

Ramsey is alive, and will comeback after his leg heals...........lets move on, we all know the dangers involved in whatever sport pursuit we engage in....

Lets be responsible for ourselves and not cringe when the bad side of sport rears its ugly head.

That truth of that tackle. Empty Re: That truth of that tackle.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 23:03

its only u speaking about it lew

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 23:06

burger777 wrote:its only u speaking about it lew

I bet if dave came on burg you would soon be talking about it !

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 23:12

no mate hes said enough on the topic for all of us.

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 23:20

burger777 wrote:no mate hes said enough on the topic for all of us.

You just love it dont you ? dave confirming on here what you say he is!

Post by Guest Sun Feb 28 2010, 23:38

i think the ruck room is the place to carry this one on lew, dj dont want it on the main spurs chat and i agree with that, as for my feelings i can only repeat what i have already said, i hold no grudges to shawcross, i lke the lad to be honest and thinks he has a good chance of going to world cup, his tackle was recklass more than malicous and as you have pointed out this is the life of a sportman. he will get the best care at arsenal and we will see him again i am sure. 2 years ago with eduardo it cost us the game and the title chance, this time it won us the game and put us back in the title race.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01 2010, 02:29

burger777 wrote:i think the ruck room is the place to carry this one on lew, dj dont want it on the main spurs chat and i agree with that, as for my feelings i can only repeat what i have already said, i hold no grudges to shawcross, i lke the lad to be honest and thinks he has a good chance of going to world cup, his tackle was recklass more than malicous and as you have pointed out this is the life of a sportman. he will get the best care at arsenal and we will see him again i am sure. 2 years ago with eduardo it cost us the game and the title chance, this time it won us the game and put us back in the title race.

sorry mate, late afternoon and a tottenham win, plus shares have just earned me a couple of big ones, ruck room ! nahhhhhhhh ! fck room mate......................
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Mon Mar 01 2010, 04:02

I disagree Lew, A jump jockey goes into a race knowing he may have a heavy fall, A boxer goes into a fight knowing he might leave the arena in a ambulance, A rugby player goes into a game knowing he might be on the wrong end of a naughty elbow or boot...... A 19 year old kid does not go into a football match in todays game knowing or thinking his leg is going to be snapped in 2 places'. Maybe in past years yeah, when tackles were TACKLES, but in todays game no no no

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01 2010, 16:05

HotspurRoper wrote:I disagree Lew, A jump jockey goes into a race knowing he may have a heavy fall, A boxer goes into a fight knowing he might leave the arena in a ambulance, A rugby player goes into a game knowing he might be on the wrong end of a naughty elbow or boot...... A 19 year old kid does not go into a football match in todays game knowing or thinking his leg is going to be snapped in 2 places'. Maybe in past years yeah, when tackles were TACKLES, but in todays game no no no

Lee ! its a contact sport and as such it is rife with dangers, maybe the percentages are higher for injury in boxing or rugby but at the end of the day you are still in danger of a boot in the head, or a flailing arm across your windpipe, or landing on your head and breaking your kneck.

I know when i played the game as a kid my intuition of danger (awareness) made me jump over tackles to avoid getting hurt, i was often hacked at because of my speed and soon became aware of potential injury.

No one wants to see anyone hurt in the name of sport, but it happens, and always will, wasnt someone killed at the winter olympics , ? its their choice to be there and whether you are 19 or 39 doesnt excuse the fact that injury is a possibility.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01 2010, 17:17

lewspurs wrote:
    Lee ! its a contact sport

It'd be quite handy if you could name another team that's had 3 different players legs broken in the last 4 years from 'honest' contact though. That truth of that tackle. Icon_rolleyes
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Mar 01 2010, 17:31

[quote="Mark2spark"]
    lewspurs wrote:
    Lee ! its a contact sport

It'd be quite handy if you could name another team that's had 3 different players legs broken in the last 4 years from 'honest' contact though. That truth of that tackle. Icon_rolleyes

Don't know about 3 but we have one ourselves, this season, in Modric.

I watched the game live and, when the tackle first went in, wondered what all the fuss was about after the fact. Even with replays, the tackle looked a 50/50 and, at first, I thought that Ramsey had fallen awkwardly and maybe swallowed his tongue with all the furore.

With the pace the English game is played at it's a wonder that this doesn't happen more often. It's just unlucky on the part of the goons that the two real ugly looking ones have happened to your lot.

Anyway, here's hoping the lad recovers speedily.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01 2010, 22:44

Ion, I don't subscribe to any pre-meditation or conspiracy theories.
    Football is football and it does happen.
    I can't escape the thoughts though, that this type of stuff happens 'more' to us, because of the underlying agenda of 'lesser' teams to be more aggressive in their field play, when playing against us.
    IMO and all that That truth of that tackle. Icon_smile
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Mar 01 2010, 22:59

Same as Modric Mark, obviously not as bad, but the skillful quick players are more prone to getting clattered and you got a team full of em.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 01 2010, 23:52

Good post DJ, I like that explanation.
    A rep point for you when I become allowed to give them out lol That truth of that tackle. Icon_smile
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Mar 02 2010, 00:29

lol, im make lots of interesting posts and im still only first division!!

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02 2010, 02:37

Mark2spark wrote:Ion, I don't subscribe to any pre-meditation or conspiracy theories.
    Football is football and it does happen.
    I can't escape the thoughts though, that this type of stuff happens 'more' to us, because of the underlying agenda of 'lesser' teams to be more aggressive in their field play, when playing against us.
    IMO and all that That truth of that tackle. Icon_smile
    Fair point Mark, but football is as much about not conceding goals, defending etc. Players are allowed to challenge and it is up to the ref to decide what is fair and at times, in retrospect, for commitees to pass judgement on something that may have been missed in the heat of a game. Yup I suppose teams will park the bus and try to rough youse guys up a bit as there is a theory that the goners don't like it up 'em. You can also say this is a tactic used by so-called lesser against other footballing sides as well, but as long as it is done within the rules of the game it is a legitimite tactic. Football is a contact sport and unfortunately serious injuries will occur . . . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Mar 02 2010, 04:49

Mark2spark wrote:Good post DJ, I like that explanation.
    A rep point for you when I become allowed to give them out lol That truth of that tackle. Icon_smile

You can give rep points already Mark. Look on the right hand side of the poster. You will see a + and a - Click on the plus to give a rep point or on the minus to take away.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Mar 02 2010, 05:57

I feel that the Shawcross tackle was not malicious but a silly football one ... The way he went in for it, the ball would most likely had ended up somewhere in the stands , perhaps a goon goal-kick .. He wasnt concerned with gaining possesion of it... It's an intimidating tackle and the sad thing is that there's been to much of this rubbish prehistoric football in our game for far to long now with british coaches being the biggest followers of it ... What's more we praise them for it ..... ! That truth of that tackle. Icon_rolleyes

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02 2010, 07:12

I've got round to watching it Arnie. To me it looks like the ball breaks clear and it's, for a moment, 50/50. Both players going for the ball. Shawcross does seem to go in hard but not with malacious intent. Ramsey is challenging as well but I wouldnt say either player had control of the ball. Now I've only seen it on youtube so perhaps not the best way to view and pass a fully judged opinion on it. As I understand MOTD disected the whole thing very closely but with great decorum & dignity. Terrible shame and let's hope the lad makes a full & speedy recovery. As an afterthought how must Shawcross be feeling ? To be involved in such a terrible incident then be called up for England 2 hours later ? It says a lot to me that he left the ground with his Mum & Dad. Surely not the action of a Jack-the-lad, couldn't careless type of player . . . . . .

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02 2010, 07:51

ArnieArdiles wrote:I feel that the Shawcross tackle was not malicious but a silly football one ... The way he went in for it, the ball would most likely had ended up somewhere in the stands , perhaps a goon goal-kick .. He wasnt concerned with gaining possesion of it... It's an intimidating tackle and the sad thing is that there's been to much of this rubbish prehistoric football in our game for far to long now with british coaches being the biggest followers of it ... What's more we praise them for it ..... ! That truth of that tackle. Icon_rolleyes
    the best and most constructive post i have read on this very sad matter, baz can u give arnie a rep point from me please. the point is it aint about stopping tackling, its about stopping the dangerous stuff.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Mar 02 2010, 07:58

Ive watched it a few times now on Youtube too Vis and if anything, the ball was nearer to Shawcross's standing foot than it were to Ramsey so I'm not putting all the blame on his shoulders ...My gripe, is the mentality with some of our football coaches who send out their players with the instructions to intimidate the opposition with these type of tackles... The ball was in the middle of the field and no immediate threat to any of the two teams goal yet it had all the hallmarks of a last ditch attempt to thwart a goal scoring opportunity ... Shawcross just swung his left foot as hard as he could with no idea or care where the ball would end up ....Its rubbish football ..

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02 2010, 08:00

VisionarySound wrote: As an afterthought how must Shawcross be feeling ? To be involved in such a terrible incident then be called up for England 2 hours later ? It says a lot to me that he left the ground with his Mum & Dad. Surely not the action of a Jack-the-lad, couldn't careless type of player . . . . . .

I liked your first post viz about contact sport and all that, but I suspect shawcross feels similar to last year when his tackle put Adebayawn out for a month, or when just previous to that his tackle broke Francis Jeffers ankle.
    Suppose you didn't know that about him?
    He's a 6'5" hulk that needs to pull the reins in a bit and consider the fruitfullness of going for a ball like that, and the consequences of not making it. That truth of that tackle. Icon_rolleyes Which he hasn't by at least three times now with serious consequences.

Last edited by Mark2spark on Tue Mar 02 2010, 08:03; edited 1 time in total

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02 2010, 08:02

ArnieArdiles wrote:My gripe, is the mentality with some of our football coaches who send out their players with the instructions to intimidate the opposition with these type of tackles... The ball was in the middle of the field and no immediate threat to any of the two teams goal yet it had all the hallmarks of a last ditch attempt to thwart a goal scoring opportunity ... Shawcross just swung his left foot as hard as he could with no idea or care where the ball would end up ....Its rubbish football ..

Top post AA. I'm not here sounding off about Arsenal this, Arsenal that, it's the whole picture, for all teams.

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02 2010, 08:04

arnie mate u should be gooner, nothing to be gained from that tackle, only a horrific injury. the lad was wrecklass but more importantly he was probably instructed to do it, its only soft bellied arsenal it dont really matter.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Mar 02 2010, 08:12

burger777 wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:I feel that the Shawcross tackle was not malicious but a silly football one ... The way he went in for it, the ball would most likely had ended up somewhere in the stands , perhaps a goon goal-kick .. He wasnt concerned with gaining possesion of it... It's an intimidating tackle and the sad thing is that there's been to much of this rubbish prehistoric football in our game for far to long now with british coaches being the biggest followers of it ... What's more we praise them for it ..... ! That truth of that tackle. Icon_rolleyes
    the best and most constructive post i have read on this very sad matter, baz can u give arnie a rep point from me please. the point is it aint about stopping tackling, its about stopping the dangerous stuff.

Lol Burg cheers m8 ... ... what about Birmingham's Ridgewell tackle on the Wigan left-back, right by the corner flag ?..The wigan left back was half off the pitch going no where and Ridgewell comes sliding in with two feet and flattens him taking out the linesman too and hardly anything is said .... Previously in the evening I'd watched Sky Sports Spanish La Liga and watched the ref send off a Valencia player , I think it were Miguiel, for a dangerous tackle which didnt connect, but it was dangerous all the same and it were a straight red .... Stoke and Birmingham are two teams doing well in the premeirship but how good would they be in the spanish La Liga? ...Stoke every week would have a player sent off for sure lol

To many of our coaches are out of step with FIFA in their view of the game , always have been ...Perhaps its why there are so few good english managers in the best jobs in our game and perhaps too why as a nation, we've not fared so well in the major tourneys?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 21 2024, 02:56