The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Funny Old Game EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Funny Old Game EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Funny Old Game EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Funny Old Game EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Funny Old Game EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Funny Old Game EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Funny Old Game EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Funny Old Game EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Funny Old Game EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Funny Old Game Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Funny Old Game

MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Funny Old Game Empty Funny Old Game

Post by MarkA249 Mon Apr 12 2010, 17:47

I was laying in bed last night thinking of our season thinking we have done quite well. But why do we always mess up against not as good teams Stoke at home is the first Yes Stoke away is quite tricky we won that where few pundits would expect us too so how on earth we lost at home that ill never know. 2nd one Wolves home and away yes they have become a bit harder to beat in recent times but come on getting the double done over us by Wolves is sad 3rd one Hull home i know there keeper played a blinder but still should of beat them 4th Pompey Wembley i know they had nothing to play for but to me they seemed more up for it they had more clear cut chances its just when we cant beat teams like this gets my goat when u see the other top sides take no sh*t and whoop them. Even Birmingham at home and Sunderland at home we struggled but won luckly. But then we go to Ewood Park and win Stoke win got to Villa should of won Everton should of Won Funny Old Game Lol . As my topic says a Funny Old Game
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Funny Old Game Empty Re: Funny Old Game

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Apr 12 2010, 21:28

Mark when we lose we generally lose without scoring .......in both domestic cups this has been the same ....away to Man Ure in the CC ...2-0

In the FA Cup we drew away to Fulham 0-0 and yesterday lost to Pompey 2-0

And in the league we have not scored a goal in 9 games ....

The old Spurs would lose games 3-2s etc nowadays its shut outs ... Next season this will have to be addressed ... Maybe our Strikers are just not up to it ?

Post by Guest Mon Apr 12 2010, 23:44

ArnieArdiles wrote:Mark when we lose we generally lose without scoring .......in both domestic cups this has been the same ....away to Man Ure in the CC ...2-0

The old Spurs would lose games 3-2s etc nowadays its shut outs ... Next season this will have to be addressed ... Maybe our Strikers are just not up to it ?

I think we have to careful what we say here arnie but i am with you on the striker thing, crouch puts himself about but is he good enough ? defoe has tons of pace but just seems tied up with markers that do a good job on him, and then we have pav who i think should permanently be paired with defoe, but if the truth be told i dont have any faith in our strikers the way i did chivers, or greaves , or lineker for that matter.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Apr 13 2010, 00:43

Chivers, Greaves Lew? If only. Greaves would have had a field day against Pompey yesterday.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Apr 13 2010, 01:44

lewspurs wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:Mark when we lose we generally lose without scoring .......in both domestic cups this has been the same ....away to Man Ure in the CC ...2-0

I think we have to careful what we say here arnie but i am with you on the striker thing, crouch puts himself about but is he good enough ? defoe has tons of pace but just seems tied up with markers that do a good job on him, and then we have pav who i think should permanently be paired with defoe, but if the truth be told i dont have any faith in our strikers the way i did chivers, or greaves , or lineker for that matter.

3rd time posting attempt at this ,,,what a diehard , eh ? Funny Old Game 65743

Ok Lew I will take care with this lol

Crouch is not for me, never was, never likely to be ... Bent in goal mouth scrambles like yesterday would be better , just as good surely? So why we did those two transfer deals I will never know ...

Defoe is one of those strikers that will score wonderful goals but miss plenty opportunities too ... His style of play is to solitary for my liking and he will go through his career never really forging a strike partnership with anyone... If Harry thinks him and Crouch have some kind of partnership then Harry is a **** ... Also his assists stats throughout his career Im sure will show this .. Just like his hero , Ian Wright a solitary ( greedy lol ) player but less prolific ....

Pav ... I think is not a top draw striker and I believe our mistake when sighning him was not to also sign, Arshavin .....Dont think we will ever see the best of him if Im honest .. Has shown us glimpses that he's a natural in front of goal but lacks pace and with the speed of the game in the premeirship there have been times when his ball control should be better....

Teddy , Klinsman , Archibald , Crooks , Allen ... add these to yours Lew and all for me are better than todays strikers ....

Maybe Im being harsh on them as our goal contribution from midfield has been poor , Kranjcar apart ... The criticism I can have for Harry's teams is that generally his attacking ideas fall short , are one dimensional ...

That's three Wembley appearances for Harry in three seasons now ...

Pompey 1 Cardiff 0
    Man Ure 0 Spurs 0
    Pompey 2 Spurs 0

One goal scored in three massive games and against a championship team at that ...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13 2010, 02:18

why is it normally always crouch starts with defoe, and when he starts pav its either with gud or crouch. crouch is nearly 30. hes scoring record for liverpool spurs and portsmouth is crap. i wish we kept darren bent

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13 2010, 04:02

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    lewspurs wrote:

3rd time posting attempt at this ,,,what a diehard , eh ? Funny Old Game 65743

Ok Lew I will take care with this lol

Crouch is not for me, never was, never likely to be ... Bent in goal mouth scrambles like yesterday would be better , just as good surely? So why we did those two transfer deals I will never know ...

Defoe is one of those strikers that will score wonderful goals but miss plenty opportunities too ... His style of play is to solitary for my liking and he will go through his career never really forging a strike partnership with anyone... If Harry thinks him and Crouch have some kind of partnership then Harry is a **** ... Also his assists stats throughout his career Im sure will show this .. Just like his hero , Ian Wright a solitary ( greedy lol ) player but less prolific ....

Pav ... I think is not a top draw striker and I believe our mistake when sighning him was not to also sign, Arshavin .....Dont think we will ever see the best of him if Im honest .. Has shown us glimpses that he's a natural in front of goal but lacks pace and with the speed of the game in the premeirship there have been times when his ball control should be better....

Teddy , Klinsman , Archibald , Crooks , Allen ... add these to yours Lew and all for me are better than todays strikers ....

Maybe Im being harsh on them as our goal contribution from midfield has been poor , Kranjcar apart ... The criticism I can have for Harry's teams is that generally his attacking ideas fall short , are one dimensional ...

That's three Wembley appearances for Harry in three seasons now ...

Pompey 1 Cardiff 0
    Man Ure 0 Spurs 0
    Pompey 2 Spurs 0

One goal scored in three massive games and against a championship team at that ...

I only said we have to be careful what we say because it will soon be pounced on as being lets say (two faced) as opposed to the other word.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Apr 13 2010, 04:13

What Fickle Lew? Funny Old Game Lol
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Tue Apr 13 2010, 05:55

Good post Mark and Arnie and I agree with you both 100%. I will not go on and on, no point really is there.
    wobberler
    wobberler
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by wobberler Tue Apr 13 2010, 06:02

I WOULD HAVE KEPT BENT, CROUCH NOT UP TO IT, DEFOE NOT AS HUNGRY FOR GOALS, BUT I LOOK AT LAST SEASON AND SAW HOW BAD WE WERE , THINGS ARE GETTING A LOT BETTER, AND WITH A LITTLE BIT OF LADY LUCK, LOOK OUT NEXT YEAR, OWE sh*t I REMEMBER SATING THAT FOR THE LAST 40 YEARS,,,,, ITS IN MY BLOOD

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13 2010, 07:13

I would not have kept Bent. He is too "fragile". With no disrespect to a team like Sunderland he will score goals for them as he is the focus of their attacking play. He is utalised to the the teams and his own strengths, therefore cossetting his lack of self belief. His record for us was less than a goal every 3 games. Not a great return for a £16M striker or for a player thats supposed to be your main source of goals. Bruce has used him & used him well but I don't think he would work for any of the top 6 sides at present, but he may do well at Villa or Everton ! Crouch scored a goal yesterday. So why the moaning about him for yesterdays game ? Not his fault a ref made a wrong decision and disallowed it. James reaction said it all. No I wouldn't use 3meterPeter as much as 'arry has and to be sure the corners yesterday proved we need to work on a few changes for set-pieces. Float to far post for Crouch to attempt to knock back thus changing the angle and hopefully cause chaos in the 6 yard box. Didn't work so lets see some change in routine. I said awhile back that I thought Jermainman was off his game but did look he was coming back into form when he got injured. Was starting him right ? Probably because then 'arry had the option of taking him off when he wanted rather than putting him on and not knowing for how long. Either way would have been about an hour so it's all if's, but's & maybe's. And he is caught offside too often, but so was a certain player with the surname of Owen and if you believed the hype he was supposed to have been world class. Pompey did not give him a chance yesterday. They kept him deep, closed the space for his runs and also wound him up to unsettle him as this is a ploy that can work with Defoe. Are we actually missing a Robbie type of player at the moment ? One with a bit of guile and a knowledge of what space to move into or release a team mate into ? I don't nescessarilly mean Robbie as he was not the same player for sure (and I don't think his little vaccation north of the border will have done much for him) but a thinker, a front man who reads the game, a Sheringham type. Also Arnie said about the lack of goals from midfield and he is spot on. Early season the goals where coming from all areas of the pitch. Our midfielders should be close to or in double figures by now. Kranky has scored a few but Moddle has disapointed with his goals scored. He is always around the area when attacking and should get more. The runs Sgt Wilson makes into the box should result in more goals and Thudd should get hisself forward more often and onto the score sheet. The teams above us have midfielders who chip in regulaly with goals and that is what we need to unlock teams who set out to defend in numbers . . . . .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Apr 13 2010, 07:47

Boltjean wrote:Good post Mark and Arnie and I agree with you both 100%. I will not go on and on, no point really is there.

Alright there Len , I've not seen you post in ages .. Hope all is well with you and please do get typing as most here I'm sure, very much enjoy your posts ...
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Apr 13 2010, 07:54

wobberler wrote:I WOULD HAVE KEPT BENT, CROUCH NOT UP TO IT, DEFOE NOT AS HUNGRY FOR GOALS, BUT I LOOK AT LAST SEASON AND SAW HOW BAD WE WERE , THINGS ARE GETTING A LOT BETTER, AND WITH A LITTLE BIT OF LADY LUCK, LOOK OUT NEXT YEAR, OWE sh*t I REMEMBER SATING THAT FOR THE LAST 40 YEARS,,,,, ITS IN MY BLOOD

40 years ........I feel your hurt wobberler, we all do Funny Old Game Icon_cry

I agree ,,,,, next year we will be better and Funny Old Game 208857 the premeirship and champs league ...Im sure of it Funny Old Game 894982
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Apr 13 2010, 08:12

Good post Vis .... Raised the Bent Crouch question because basicly , Harry bought Crouch in and offloaded Bent ....

Now if its just goal per game ratio we're talking about I'd think if you look on Wikipedia you will find that Bent was just ahead of Crouch when he were at Spurs , not much in it .... However, Bents career goals scored per game ratio, with what I would say are weaker teams than the ones Crouch has played for in his career and he is well ahead ... That said , neither players outfield play do I find inspiring and for me neither are worth their transfer fees.. But if you pushed me and said, here's 10 million go spend it on either player, for me it would be Darren Bent ...

and you're right ......Crouch did score a goal against Pompey ..... If anything it were James that fouled Kranjcar .... James knew it too ...

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13 2010, 08:24

BazSpur wrote:What Fickle Lew? Funny Old Game Lol

Oh gosh...its that word again Funny Old Game Affraid

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13 2010, 10:04

bent played for ipswithc charlton spurs and sunderland. hes scored goals at man u ground chelsea ground and arsneal. hes got at least 20 goals in last 5 seasons. even though sunderland and charlton dont create as many chances. plus most of hes spurs games came from the bench
    crouch was at liverpool where they created tons of chances yet didnt score many. its a fact when he starts for spurs we go long ball(not crouch fault) we just do. and hes scored 1 in 15 starts. thats rubbish. look at zomora hes havin the season off hes life.
    how can you have a forward that dont score many. hes headin is rubbish and he cant run. yea he gives hes all and i like that but liverpool didnt get rid of for nuffing

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13 2010, 18:18

He's got more than just 20 goals in 5 years Lought !!! Serious tho, his goals scoring record is as follows . . . . .

ClubSeasonLeagueFA CupLeague CupEuropeOther]TotalAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsAppsGoalsTotal122474373414114155Total6831526400007937Total60181041146007925Career totals28411812617818741335140
    Ipswich Town2001–02510011100072
    2002–033512233231004318
    2003–043715101000214116
    2004–054519102000205019
    Charlton Athletic2005–063618523200004422
    2006–073213003200003515
    Tottenham Hotspur2007–0827600108200368
    2008–093312103164004317
    Sunderland2009–103422210000003623
    Not that brilliant mate is it. Especcially given that not all his goals have come in the Premier . . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 21:46