The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Champions League Qualifiers EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Champions League Qualifiers EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Champions League Qualifiers EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Champions League Qualifiers EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Champions League Qualifiers EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Champions League Qualifiers EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Champions League Qualifiers EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Champions League Qualifiers EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Champions League Qualifiers EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Champions League Qualifiers Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Champions League Qualifiers

Champions League Qualifiers Empty Champions League Qualifiers

Post by Guest Wed May 12 2010, 02:27

I thought I'd explain my understanding of how the qualification works and our possible seeding for the both the qualification and (dare we dream) possible group stages.

First of all it seems as though last year UEFA changed the qualification process and that is why 3rd place no longer needs to qualify and 4th place only requires one qualifying match. However, the changes have a direct impact on the quality of the opposition we're likely to meet. One of the changes means that qualifying is split into two groups, domestic champions and non champions. We obviously fall into the non champions group and enter a qualifying pot with 14 other teams. These 15 teams are the lowest placed CL qualifiers from the top 15 leagues in Europe.

The teams from the top 5 leagues receive a bye into the playoff round and look likely to be Spurs, Sevilla, Sampdoria, Werder Bremen and Lyon. The other 10 teams will be drawn against each other in a seeded draw and the likely outcome will be:

Seeded
    CSKA Moscow
    Ajax
    Olympiakos
    Basel
    Dynamo Kiev

Non seeded
    Braga
    Celtic
    Club Bruges
    Unirea
    Bursaspor

The 5 winners of these ties would then join the 5 previously mentioned teams and a seeded draw would again take place. Now given that only Sevilla, Lyon, Werder Bremen and CSKA Moscow would have higher coefficients than Spurs, it should guarantee us a place in the seeded pot and therefore being drawn against one of Ajax, Olympiakos, Basel, Dynamo Kiev, Braga, Celtic, Club Bruges, Sampdoria, Unirea or Bursaspor (you can remove Ajax from this list of CSKA Moscow lose their first qualifier). Now most of those look winnable but there is the possibility of some tricky ties, most notably Martin Jol’s Ajax or even Sampdoria who have had a very good season in Italy.

Should we take our chance and grace the Champions League proper for the first time (in it’s current guise) we are likely to be seeded in the 3rd pot and will come up against 1 team from each of the 2 following pots (again, this is not final but is likely given the current standings and remaining fixtures) and one other from a 4th seed pot.

1st Seed Pot
    Barcelona
    Manchester United
    Chelsea
    Ars*nal
    Bayern Munich
    Sevilla
    AC Milan
    Internazionale

2nd Seed Pot
    Lyon
    Werder Bremen
    Real Madrid
    Roma
    Shakhtar Donetsk
    Benfica
    Valencia
    CSKA Moscow

Again, with a friendly draw, possibly avoiding Real Madrid and Lyon from the 2nd pot we stand a good chance of qualifying through the group stages.

I’ll leave it here and would love to get some feedback and opinions on you guys. Sorry for the long first post, hopefully it will prove interesting reading to you.

HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Champions League Qualifiers Empty Re: Champions League Qualifiers

Post by HotspurRoper Wed May 12 2010, 17:14

Very intresting that Lought,( where you copy and paste that from, LOL). Nah seriously thats well worked out mate!!
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Thu May 13 2010, 02:49

You told us who was playing who Lought but not who was going to win the final!!

Post by Guest Thu May 13 2010, 04:42

it told me u have a tuff game ahead of yous.

Post by Guest Sat May 15 2010, 08:39

it tells me spurs will be in the final. but i cant tell you who we will be playing. you can bet your life it wont be arsneal as they dont do gettin to finals.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Sat May 15 2010, 08:48

Now now Lought, they did it once at few years back..................... they were even given a goal head start and still ballsed it up! LOL!

Post by Guest Sat May 15 2010, 09:25

oh yea. i remember that game. sum spurs fan won on that. was on radio he put on judas to score1st and barce to win 2 1 . it paid for hes season ticket.
    maybe its not a bad thing if they got to a final again

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10 2024, 13:14