The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
'arry article EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
'arry article EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
'arry article EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
'arry article EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
'arry article EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
'arry article EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
'arry article EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
'arry article EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
'arry article EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

'arry article Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

'arry article

'arry article Empty 'arry article

Post by Guest Sun Jul 25 2010, 22:18

Copy & pasted below an interview 'arry gave to Sportsweek. Gives a bit of an insight into his thinking on transfers . . . . . . .

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp says he is concerned about the fitness of defenders Jonathan Woodgate and Ledley King ahead of the new season.
    Woodgate played only three games last season and King featured only briefly at the World Cup because of injury.
    "Jonathan will not be fit for the start of the season," Spurs boss Redknapp told Sportsweek. "He's in a position where he can't train or kick a ball.
    "Ledley has come back and his knee is not great and he has a groin problem."
    Woodgate, who has a long-standing groin injury, last played for Spurs in the 9-1 home win over Wigan on 22 November, while King is troubled by persistent knee problems.
    Those two injuries as well as uncertainty over Robbie Keane's future at White Hart Lane - the striker spent part of last season on loan at Celtic - means Redknapp is looking to strengthen his squad as the north London club prepare to compete in the Champions League for the first time.
    "Robbie is back with us and is working hard," added Redknapp, who was speaking from New Jersey where Spurs are playing in a pre-season tournament in the United States involving Manchester City, Sporting Lisbon and the New York Red Bulls.
    "He is a fantastic professional, who trains hard and wants to play. I still think he has a lot to offer. The thing is he wants to play all the time.
    "There is every chance he could start the season, but if it doesn't work out then I'm sure he will be the first one to come and tell me that he needs to play somewhere."
    Over the summer Spurs have been linked with a move for Real Madrid's veteran forward Raul and Sevilla's Brazilian international striker Luis Fabiano, but Redknapp suggested he was looking to bring in "two or three" players with Premier League experience.
    "I think there will be a few loans," said Redknapp. "Clubs like Manchester City will have too big a squad as you can only have 25 players on your roster.
    "They will have a problem and there will be players that clubs will want to loan out that will be good players that are earning good wages.
    "Clubs will have to cut their wage bills and they don't want players sitting around doing nothing.
    "I think if you are clever there are loans out there that for clubs like us would be interesting, but certainly not from abroad."
    Redknapp believes there are players of the calibre of Joe Cole, who joined Liverpool last week on a free transfer despite interest from Spurs, who could be enticed to White Hart Lane.
    "We are not talking about spending a fortune. I think there are a couple of bargains out there still," stated Redknapp.
    "Joe Cole was one of those. There are one or two more around that would do a great job and would just make a difference for us."
    If Spurs do bolster their squad, Redknapp thinks his side, who pipped Manchester City to fourth spot last season, are capable of challenging for the Premier League.
    "You have to go in believing. I said last year we could get into the Champions League and we managed to do so," he added.
    "If you don't aim for the top you are never going to reach there. I think we could have a real go this year."
    While Redknapp continues his hunt for "bargains", Manchester City show no sign of ending a transfer spree that has already seen them spend £75m and the Spurs manager predicted that the Premier League's big spenders would soon win the Premier League.
    "If the owner stays involved I can see them in the next few years putting together a team that will win the Premier League," said Redknapp, referring to Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
    "I can see them eventually being champions," added Redknapp, who also tipped City to finish in the top-four this season.

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 09:52