The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry !

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! Empty Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry !

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Aug 16 2010, 21:48

We have Keane , Defoe, Pav , Crouch and If as rumooured we're looking to bring in one striker who of these four would we like to see leave ?

Personaly I'd like to see Crouch go , yeah I know it were his goal at Eastlands on that joyous night thats got us that 4th spot but I just dont think having him in a Spurs team is in our intrest long term ... IMO,,, Harry dont even know how to use him properly !

The reason that I want to see Crouch sold is purely because we seem to think that hitting high balls out of defence to him is an outlet .... However it seems to me that all to often we tend to give up possesion when we do this... Against teams that hold onto the ball ( there are many of these teams in the CL ) , these tactics are shortsighted and Harry must abandon them if we're to progress..For all our attempts on the City goal in the opener, the possesion stats were Spurs 39% Man City 61% .... We were losing possesion not due to the City players tackling our players but invariably it were our players losing it in a long ball attempt to Crouch ... This turnover of possesion to City allowed them to slow the game down to their pace and run down the clock with over 600 mostly going no where passes !
    We need to be more greedy for the ball when we have it especialy in the CL ...
    Crouch is not a bad player when the ball is passed to his feet but it seems , its for his height that Harry picks him .
    Sell Crouch or buck up Harry!

Please note : the above post is not a copy and paste job but purely the thoughts of Arnie Ardiles...
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! Empty Re: Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry !

Post by ionman34 Mon Aug 16 2010, 23:19

Don't know where you got your possession stats from Arnie, but the final analysis showed Spurs at 54%, Citeh at 46%.

With Crouch, the only times I really saw him heading the ball was to crosses from the flanks, which is exactly what is required. When the ball was played through the middle it was invariably Crouch holding up play and bringing the midsfield into it, the ball he smuggled out to Lennon showed great control, strength and vision. He was also involved in a great deal of our build up play, acting as the hinge point in our attacks.

For me he offers more than Keane and is only slightly behind Pav. I also think this 'hit and hope' belief we have, when Crouch is in the team, is blown right out of proportion. I'd say it was non existent but I know we can use that avenue at times. And why not? There are times when route 1 offers that alternative when one is required.

Crouch is a foil, always a second striker. One who will always weigh in with his own goals but is there primarily to create opportunities for his strike partner. Of the 4 strikers we have, he is perhaps suited to this role best. He's played it all his life after all.

I'd keep Crouch ahead of Keane to be honest mate, I think he offers more.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! Empty Re: Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry !

Post by BazSpur Mon Aug 16 2010, 23:43

Now, I have been one who has voiced my opinion against Crouchy in the past but I agree with Ion's assessment in this instance. I think Crouch had a very good game against City and but for the post would have scored the first goal which may well have opened the floodgates for us but it wasn't to be. (Was his the first chance at goal?) Anyway, I too think he showed a lot of skill in that match and wasn't as aware as I have been in the past of the long ball to Crouch.

Ion, the 39% to 61% was in the Daily Mirror. I too was shocked when I read those stats as I thought we had far more of the ball.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Aug 17 2010, 00:19

The possesion stats are similar everywhere Baz ...theyre like that due in the main, to the second half ....

This is not a bad site to tinker about with if you're a match stato Sell Crouch or use him properly Harry ! Icon_cyclops

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create

If you look at some of the individual passes count you will see that City's back line and defensive midfield spent a large part of the game , should actualy say second half , passing it to each other ....

They did this like an Italian side of old having seen our goal threat in the first-half , looking to run down the clock then maybe nick all the points near the end ....

Crouch had a decent game , dont get me wrong and in their penalty box he were a goal threat.. Its the long ball from the back up to him that Im questioning ...Anyone who's recorded the game can see that this paticular ball is often lost to our opponents when we do this... Against the Stokes and others we will soon get the ball back but not against the better opponents like City, hence the possesion stats ... This will be a continuing story against plenty of teams in Europe if we persue this tactic ....
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Aug 17 2010, 00:35

ionman34 wrote:Don't know where you got your possession stats from Arnie, but the final analysis showed Spurs at 54%, Citeh at 46%.

With Crouch, the only times I really saw him heading the ball was to crosses from the flanks, which is exactly what is required. When the ball was played through the middle it was invariably Crouch holding up play and bringing the midsfield into it, the ball he smuggled out to Lennon showed great control, strength and vision. He was also involved in a great deal of our build up play, acting as the hinge point in our attacks.

For me he offers more than Keane and is only slightly behind Pav. I also think this 'hit and hope' belief we have, when Crouch is in the team, is blown right out of proportion. I'd say it was non existent but I know we can use that avenue at times. And why not? There are times when route 1 offers that alternative when one is required.

Crouch is a foil, always a second striker. One who will always weigh in with his own goals but is there primarily to create opportunities for his strike partner. Of the 4 strikers we have, he is perhaps suited to this role best. He's played it all his life after all.

I'd keep Crouch ahead of Keane to be honest mate, I think he offers more.

Ion .. I were thinking we were turning the ball over to City whenever we went long to him but whilst we were passing short and quick and getting it out to the flanks, I felt we were giving them problems ... In the second half , City having seen we had expended energy, slowed the game down with loads of passes in their half and in midfield , rarely themselves looking for the percentage ball....This is what we will always encounter when playing the better teams ... Villareal ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1303336/Tottenham-0-Manchester-City-0-How-Hart-stopper-Joe-foiled-Harry-Redknapp.html

All our goalies' kicks are to the left where Crouch is, in the hope he flicks it on to either Bale or Defoe but its not really been happening since his arrival at Spurs ... I just dont think we should be using Crouch this way and we're a better team not going down that route ...Im saying when we come up against a team who can hold on to the ball like teams in the CL, the long ball to Crouch is not a tactic we should be using for a large part of the match... Our goal threat in the second half was dying out and wasnt re-ignited until Harry used his substitutes taking Crouch off and abandoning the direct tactic... We have to show more patience with the ball but with Crouch on the field I just dont think we do ....

Post by Guest Tue Aug 17 2010, 03:36

<P>
    ionman34 wrote:<STRONG><I><FONT color=blue>Don't know where you got your possession stats from Arnie, but the final analysis showed Spurs at 54%, Citeh at 46%.</FONT></I></STRONG><BR><STRONG><I></I></STRONG><BR><STRONG><I><FONT color=blue>With Crouch, the only times I really saw him heading the ball was to crosses from the flanks, which is exactly what is required. When the ball was played through the middle it was invariably Crouch holding up play and bringing the midsfield into it, the ball he smuggled out to Lennon showed great control, strength and vision. He was also involved in a great deal of our build up play, acting as the hinge point in our attacks.</FONT></I></STRONG><BR><STRONG><I></I></STRONG><BR><STRONG><I><FONT color=blue>For me he offers more than Keane and is only slightly behind Pav. I also think this 'hit and hope' belief we have, when Crouch is in the team, is blown right out of proportion. I'd say it was non existent but I know we can use that avenue at times. And why not? There are times when route 1 offers that alternative when one is required.</FONT></I></STRONG><BR><STRONG><I></I></STRONG><BR><STRONG><I><FONT color=blue>Crouch is a foil, always a second striker. One who will always weigh in with his own goals but is there primarily to create opportunities for his strike partner. Of the 4 strikers we have, he is perhaps suited to this role best. He's played it all his life after all.</FONT></I></STRONG><BR><STRONG><I></I></STRONG><BR><STRONG><I><FONT color=blue>I'd keep Crouch ahead of Keane to be honest mate, I think he offers more.</FONT></I></STRONG>
    </P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>
    <P>I think the possession rate quoted by arnie came from the daily mail ion !&nbsp;&nbsp; my wife buys that paper and i was quite surprised by the same stats.</P>

Post by Guest Tue Aug 17 2010, 05:54

he cant head the ball propley. unless its a looping header or heads it down. he hardly ever scores and if you go back to our best wins last seaon arsenal chelsea it was pav and defoe up front

ok crouch scored that tap in aganst man c but we hardly score loads when he starts. remmeber the semi final aganst portsmouth.
    its not all about the goalies its our strikers aint all that

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20 2024, 04:48