The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir

Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir Empty Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir

Post by Guest Fri Aug 27 2010, 21:37

Sky Sports pundit Jamie Redknapp believes Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Tom Huddlestone is the Premier League equivalent to Real Madrid star Xabi Alonso, who formerly anchored Liverpool’s midfield prior to moving to the Bernabeu in 2008.
    Huddlestone’s performance against Young Boys on Wednesday night, according to Redknapp, was a master class in short and long passing, and although he is yet to find the necessary consistency to dominate games on a regular basis, the former England international believes the 23-year-old should look at the examples set by Liverpool’s Steven Gerrard and Chelsea’s Frank Lampard in terms of having the self-belief to stamp his undoubted quality on matches.
    Redknapp believes Huddlestone’s recent form is worthy of an England call-up and suggests the towering midfielder looks every inch the modern day equivalent to Spurs legend Glenn Hoddle.
    The former Liverpool captain told the Daily Mail: “We've all been going crazy about the midfield play of Paul Scholes and rightly so, but Tottenham's Tom Huddlestone can do all of that, too.
    “He's the English Xabi Alonso, who will pass a team to death with his daisy cutters, those drilled passes that skip off the grass when he pings the ball so effortlessly with either foot.
    “He doesn't just launch the ball. Short and long, his passing has never been questioned, but he is now more dynamic with his play.
    “His improved fitness has allowed him to surge upfield and he will pick up the ball 20 or 30 yards further forward.
    Redknapp continued: “He needs to score more goals and should have more faith in his shooting because he strikes the ball cleanly from distance and with pace.
    “In our country, we focus on what players can't do, rather than what they can do. We ask if Tom is mobile enough.
    “Well, he's not a box-to-box midfielder with little legs who scurries about the pitch.
    “He is big with long legs and a long stride.
    “It might look like it takes him time to cover the same ground, but he can shift and he is operating further up the pitch than he was before.
    “He is setting the tempo, being proactive, rather than reacting to the tempo of the game.
    “He's got to believe in himself more - like Steven Gerrard when he plays for Liverpool or Frank Lampard in the blue of Chelsea.
    “They have an arrogance about themselves - and you need that to play at the highest level.
    “They have a look that says: 'When I play, we play.'
    “Tom is starting to find that. He is growing up. He has sharpened up his fitness and is thriving playing for a manager who loves him.
    Redknapp believes the Tottenham Hotspur youngster is the heir apparent to a former White Hart Lane pass-master, Glenn Hoddle.
    “The way Tom Huddlestone passed the ball around for Tottenham on Wednesday night evoked memories of one of the game's great playmakers, Glenn Hoddle.” He said.
    “Hoddle's sublime passing was a feature of the Spurs teams of the Seventies and Eighties, when he was regularly featured on Match of the Day.
    “Any more of Huddlestone's dazzling distribution and he will be renamed Tom Hoddlestone.”

www.sport.co.uk
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir Empty Re: Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 27 2010, 22:08

I remember when The Hudd had his first few run outs for Spurs and I compared him to a young Hoddle.

I got hammered for it.

Get Get Get
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir Empty Re: Sky Sports pundit lauds "the English Xabi Alonso" as Hoddle heir

Post by BazSpur Fri Aug 27 2010, 22:14

I was with you Ion. I was lording him around in the early days but it was my boy who first told me about him when he was coming up. He said"Watch out for Tom Huddlestone. He is going to be World class" I said "Who" lol.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 27 2010, 22:39

I've always said he has the attributes, should he choose to use them, to be as good and influential as Beckenbaur ever was for the Germans & Bayern. He certainly seems to have added some extra depth to his over-all game . . . .
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sat Aug 28 2010, 01:53

England were crying out for a player like Thudds at the World Cup in South Africa, Big Big mistake not taking him Mr Capello, and it showed!

Post by Guest Sat Aug 28 2010, 02:21

iv always been a hudd fan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 13:01