The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Composure on the ball EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Composure on the ball EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Composure on the ball EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Composure on the ball EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Composure on the ball EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Composure on the ball EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Composure on the ball EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Composure on the ball EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Composure on the ball EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Composure on the ball Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Composure on the ball

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Composure on the ball Empty Composure on the ball

Post by LOBO Sun Sep 19 2010, 20:57

I don't know how many of you watched the full live match yesterday but one thing i noticed was the lack of composure on the ball , players like ekotto , i don't want to dis him i think he's a great player for us but using him as an example , there was times & i cant understand why we do this , but we put our selfs under so much pressure by simply giving the ball away so cheaply , the lack of composure from certain players or over confidence i don't how to word it really is costing us , it really does get frustrating given we have a birds eye view on the game.

dunno maybe im being to critical .
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Composure on the ball Empty Re: Composure on the ball

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Sep 20 2010, 23:08

I think we have some good technical players at our club, Ekotto included and composure on the ball is not the problem for me bar one or two for example Keane , Dawson ... I see our decision making as our main problem ...When to make the pass , when to hold on to the ball ... For me the game is all about moving the ball to a team mate with speed and accuracy ...If it can be done with one touch all the better, if not one touch, then the second will do.... What we seem to have is a few players that need to many touches before releasing the ball .. The obvious pass should be made to a better placed team mate if its on, rather than a player looking to turn on the ball to better position himself with a few touches .. Wilson and Jermaine Jenas in games has been the worst offenders in this regard ... For me , Spain, Barca and them down the road are better than most at this aspect of the game , making the simple obvious pass rather than looking for the killer one .....

Our decision making also in our opponents third of the field is at times very poor... .. There are times when I have heard TV pundits say they've over passed it but I think its more often the case that teams have under passed it .... How many times have we seen the striker go for goal instead of simply squaring it to a better placed team mate? ... Crouch lately seems to have caught the Defoe Greedy Virus and I cant recall Keane making an attempt on a goal assist either, bar the one for Pav away to The Young Boys .. Many of our goals seem to be from crosses or made from the wings, there is not enough one twos on the edge of the penalty box ending with either a shot on target or a player clean through on goal, its usualy Lennon and Bale providing from out wide ... There is no front two pairing at our club that seem to have any understaning between them ... It seems the lack of goals is weighing on their minds and is making them look for personal glory rather than a team mate ....
    Maybe like you Lobo Im being to critical but this is the overall feeling I sometimes get from watching our team ... Hopefuly with Luca and VDV in the team things will change ...COYS !
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Sep 20 2010, 23:58

ArnieArdiles wrote:our main problem ...When to make the pass , when to hold on to the ball

This is the point im trying to make, we panic sometimes and try to make the killer pass , also i have noticed when we're under attack and the ball is played in to the 18 yard box we just hoof it up the field sometimes and i think to myself certain players just need a bit more composure and know who's around them and try to find a pass because 9 times out of 10 we give the ball straight back to the other team , ok if the theres a goal line scramble i understand kick the ball anywhere away from the goal, but i notice we was doing the same thing in the wolves game as we did against Wigan just needless and sloppy play .
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Sep 21 2010, 00:11

agree with both of your points, we seem hesitant at times to take risks or to try a through ball. The amount of times i see Lennon do a darting run, yet the player with the ball ends up playing it backwards and it really gets on my nerves. Another problem is the position of the players and knowing how to support the player with the ball. There should always be at least 2 or more players supporting the man with the ball, we can see it, why cant they?? They train all week doing it. Its frustrating at times. We'll get there eventually.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Sep 21 2010, 00:23

DJSR wrote:There should always be at least 2 or more players supporting the man with the ball, we can see it, why cant they??

Yea i agree , i was going to bring that up , tthe game on saturday & the game against wigan there were huge gaps appearing between players no support like you say , maybe its a fitness thing cos we always start well and then after about 30 mins or so the gaps start to appear although to our credit we did play the whole first half really well apart from the blip at the end but that was down to giving the ball away
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Sep 21 2010, 00:42

<BLOCKQUOTE sizcache="2" sizset="77">ArnieArdiles wrote:our main problem ...When to make the pass , when to hold on to the ball
    </BLOCKQUOTE>

Lobo wrote : This is the point im trying to make, we panic sometimes and try to make the killer pass , also i have noticed when we're under attack and the ball is played in to the 18 yard box we just hoof it up the field sometimes and i think to myself certain players just need a bit more composure and know who's around them and try to find a pass because 9 times out of 10 we give the ball straight back to the other team , ok if the theres a goal line scramble i understand kick the ball anywhere away from the goal, but i notice we was doing the same thing in the wolves game as we did against Wigan just needless and sloppy play .

The trouble is , nowadays we get more than brief highlights of a game ....For example this weekend I got it bad ...I got to see the Wolves game live on a good internet stream , then watched the game in it's entirety on Football first , then the MOTD highlights and then again one more time on Football First's one hour highlights ( what a saddo eh ? lol )... So I get to see Crouchy's panic stricken clearance from the edge of our pentalty box many times over and each time Im thinking the same , why aint he just passing it simply to his unmarked team mate three yards away ?

The fact that we have speed on the wings and a very tall center forward is perhaps why we sometimes hoof it when ball retention is a better option .... I think with Gallas rather than Dawson in defence we will see less long ball and we will be fools if we bypass VDV and Modric in midfield ....

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21 2010, 01:11

ArnieArdiles wrote: I think we have some good technical players at our club, Ekotto included and composure on the ball is not the problem for me bar one or two for example Keane , Dawson ... I see our decision making as our main problem ...When to make the pass , when to hold on to the ball ... For me the game is all about moving the ball to a team mate with speed and accuracy ...If it can be done with one touch all the better, if not one touch, then the second will do.... What we seem to have is a few players that need to many touches before releasing the ball .. The obvious pass should be made to a better placed team mate if its on, rather than a player looking to turn on the ball to better position himself with a few touches .. Wilson and Jermaine Jenas in games has been the worst offenders in this regard ... For me , Spain, Barca and them down the road are better than most at this aspect of the game , making the simple obvious pass rather than looking for the killer one .....

Our decision making also in our opponents third of the field is at times very poor... .. There are times when I have heard TV pundits say they've over passed it but I think its more often the case that teams have under passed it .... How many times have we seen the striker go for goal instead of simply squaring it to a better placed team mate? ... Crouch lately seems to have caught the Defoe Greedy Virus and I cant recall Keane making an attempt on a goal assist either, bar the one for Pav away to The Young Boys .. Many of our goals seem to be from crosses or made from the wings, there is not enough one twos on the edge of the penalty box ending with either a shot on target or a player clean through on goal, its usualy Lennon and Bale providing from out wide ... There is no front two pairing at our club that seem to have any understaning between them ... It seems the lack of goals is weighing on their minds and is making them look for personal glory rather than a team mate ....
    Maybe like you Lobo Im being to critical but this is the overall feeling I sometimes get from watching our team ... Hopefuly with Luca and VDV in the team things will change ...COYS !

Are,nt these player faults rather than team faults arnie ? those players you mentioned , jenas, wilson, keane just give the ball away cheaply (as you say) perhaps that is why they havent been first choices for harry.

Defoe is greedy but his job is to score goals, keane has had his day, his heart isnt at whl as far as i am concerned.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Sep 21 2010, 01:39

lewspurs wrote:

Are,nt these player faults rather than team faults arnie ? those players you mentioned , jenas, wilson, keane just give the ball away cheaply (as you say) perhaps that is why they havent been first choices for harry.

Defoe is greedy but his job is to score goals, keane has had his day, his heart isnt at whl as far as i am concerned.

Yep tis true Lew its down to certain individual players and I think Harry is on it too.... Its why Im certain if we stick with Harry and he manages to hold on to the better players in a couple of seasons we will be a far better team all round ........

After a game I look in on the Guardian Chalkboard http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/chalkboards/create for individual stats and they often confirm my thoughts ........For example ....Jenas in his last two premeirship games has attempted something like 90 passes , a total he was unable to do over four or five games in previous seasons ....Keanos contribution since his return to the Lane at times in some games has been near to non exisitant its scary , like no shots on target and giving the ball away to an opponent more times than finding a team mate ....
    Against Wolves , Gallas and King between them passed the ball 80 times giving it away just twice whilst with Dawson there, its a different story with Daws much as we love him over Gallas, passes the ball rarely 20 times and will give up possesion with a long ball ...
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Sep 21 2010, 01:40

ArnieArdiles wrote:I think with Gallas rather than Dawson in defence we will see less long ball and we will be fools if we bypass VDV and Modric in midfield ....

yea for sure, VDV really impressed me on saturday he's really starting to find his fitness and feet , i hope Modric comes back soon i wanna see how they play togeather because i have a feeling they will strike up a good understanding being they are both world class players who could get in anyteam .

Post by Guest Tue Sep 21 2010, 01:41

I think Harry will pair them up for the Spammers game.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Tue Sep 21 2010, 01:45

LOBO wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:I think with Gallas rather than Dawson in defence we will see less long ball and we will be fools if we bypass VDV and Modric in midfield ....

yea for sure, VDV really impressed me on saturday he's really starting to find his fitness and feet , i hope Modric comes back soon i wanna see how they play togeather because i have a feeling they will strike up a good understanding being they are both world class players who could get in anyteam .

Lobo, I were wondering and was not to happy why we wernt snapping up Eidur during the transfer window as I thought him and Modric were looking good together when they were both on the field ... Now its clear, VDV obviously is the reason why and Im happier with this .... Happy no Joe Cole too ...Vans the man ....
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Sep 21 2010, 05:25

ArnieArdiles wrote:
    LOBO wrote:

Lobo, I were wondering and was not to happy why we wernt snapping up Eidur during the transfer window as I thought him and Modric were looking good together when they were both on the field ... Now its clear, VDV obviously is the reason why and Im happier with this .... Happy no Joe Cole too ...Vans the man ....

I like joe cole and i thought with his connection to Redknapp it was a dead cert he was coming how he ended up at liverpool is anyone's guess, i think probably for the silly money more likely, i did hear a rumour that Redkanpp said to cole he couldnt garantee him first team football, but now with hinesight i got to say it was a blessing in desguise although cole is world class or has been in the past hes far from it now and struggled to fit in at chelsea, i think he would have been a bit part player for us if he did come.
    philip
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by philip Tue Sep 21 2010, 10:22

[quote="ArnieArdiles"]
    There There is no front two pairing at our club that seem to have any understaning between them ... It seems the lack of goals is weighing on their minds and is making them look for personal glory rather than a team mate ....

That is what I have been thinking as well it seems as if all the fowards want to make names for themselves, to tell you the truth I am not impressed with Crouch linking at all he seems to be going for goal all the time when a simple knock down to another stricker would be ideal
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Sep 21 2010, 17:43

[quote]There There is no front two pairing at our club that seem to have any understaning between them ... It seems the lack of goals is weighing on their minds [quote]

True but how seldom do we see a 451 system at spurs, i think the lack of goals is down to the fact we are missing defoe and we dont have a natural preditor like drogba, of course we will score goal eventually alot from midfield can said , but i think your right if we're going to continue playing 442 crouchie or pav need to strike up a partnership, keane dont look himself and i hope come january we go buy a worthy game winner

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 12:56