The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
RIP... EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
RIP... EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
RIP... EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
RIP... EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
RIP... EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
RIP... EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
RIP... EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
RIP... EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
RIP... EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

RIP... Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+7
totalytot
DJSR
shearspur
cynicsid
seebee1944
BazSpur
HotspurRoper
11 posters

RIP...

HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

RIP... Empty RIP...

Post by HotspurRoper Sun Sep 19 2010, 21:02

... Bobby Smith
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

RIP... Empty Re: RIP...

Post by BazSpur Sun Sep 19 2010, 21:06

Good old fashioned Centre forward. Hard as nails. RIP Bobby.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Sep 19 2010, 21:07

Might it be an idea to have an obituary forum on here. What do we think?

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 21:31

From Spurs official site.

It is with great regret that we announce the death of Bobby Smith, our legendary centre-forward from our great Double-winning side of 1960-61.

Bobby died at an Enfield hospital yesterday evening (Saturday, September 18) following a short illness. He was 77.

Born at Lingdale, North Yorkshire, Bobby started out as an amateur with Chelsea in 1948 and turned full professional two years later. He made his senior debut at the age of 17 and moved to Spurs in December, 1955.

A brave and powerful striker with a good deal of skill, he immediately helped us move away from the relegation zone and would go on to play a major role in the most glorious years in our history.

He was the leading goalscorer in our ‘Double' side with 33 League and Cup goals and scored in both our FA Cup Final triumphs of 1961 and 1962. He played a crucial role in our victorious European Cup Winners' Cup campaign of 1963.

Bobby was also an England international, recording an impressive 13 goals in 15 appearances for his country.

After 208 goals in 317 senior games for Spurs, he transferred to Brighton and Hove Albion in May, 1964.

We extend our sincere condolences to the family of Bobby Smith at this very sad time.

seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Sun Sep 19 2010, 21:34

Brave strong honest they don't make em like that anymore RIP Bobby
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sun Sep 19 2010, 22:36

Old school legend, in an eara that a modern day player wouldn't last half a season. RIP

Post by Guest Sun Sep 19 2010, 22:47

RIP, gone but never forgotten . . . . . .
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun Sep 19 2010, 23:45

RIP BOBBY. HE WAS AT THE LANE ONLY JUST A MONTH AGO WITH 10 OTHERS FROM THE DOUBLE WINNING SIDE AT THE MAN CITY GAME. THEY CAME ON THE PITCH AT HALF TIME TO RAPTUROUS APPLAUSE CELEBRATING 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF THE FEAT.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 20 2010, 00:35

And those goals per games ratios are nothing short of fantastic . . . . .
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Mon Sep 20 2010, 02:02

RIP Bobby Smith
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Sep 20 2010, 03:12

I remember him so well like it was yesterday. He gave me so much pleasure. It wasn't just the goals he scored but the way he scored them he had so much power and physical presence and as a young kid you wanted him to be your friend.

In fairness he probably wouldn't get away with half of the things today, like knocking the keeper in the net,although it was a fair old fashioned shoulder charge and is in the rules but not accepted today but great to watch.

He may not have had the skill of some of today's strikers but he still had skill as his ratio of nearly one and a half goals a game for us shows. His 13 goals in 15 games for England is quite special even for today considering they played very few Internationals in those days.

The first time I took my now wife, then girlfriend, to a football match was the the 61' cup final and she became a fan from then on. To the disgust of her family I might add as they were all gooners.

Great days great memories. RIP Bobby and thank you.
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Mon Sep 20 2010, 08:23

great player r.i.p
    BillStroller
    Conference League
    Conference League

RIP... Empty Sad post from Bill Stroller......

Post by BillStroller Mon Sep 20 2010, 16:51

spurslegend wrote:great player r.i.p

Good morning, Legend.....

I was saddened to read late today that one of our local lad's from Teesside passed away on Saturday....
    ...Some of your older posters will remember BOBBY SMITH as one of Bill Nick's great double winning side. Bobby was the archetypal, rampaging centre-forward with a kick like a mule and built like a brick sh*thouse......but was also blessed with a good touch and a natural nose for the goals.....

...He was born in Lingdale, a little village about 15 miles south of Middlesbrough in 1933 and at the age of 17 was scouted by Chelsea where he rapidly got into the first team squad and made almost 100 appearances until he was persuaded in 1955 to join Spurs. See, even back then, you YIDS needed to come "OOP NORTH" to solve your goal-scoring problems ( LoL )

For Spurs he scored 218 goals in about 370 games - a scoring ratio of almost 60% - top finishing indeed.

....He was part of Bill Nicholson's famous Double winning Tottenham team of 1960/1961 (scoring in the final of the FA Cup), which went onto retain the FA Cup in the 1962 FA Cup Final (scoring in the FA Cup Final again) and winning the 1963 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup.

He also won 15 full international caps and scored 13 goals for England, which included two goals in the 9-3 defeat of Scotland at Wembley in 1961.

On leaving Spurs after 10 good seasons , he joined Brighton & Hove Albion for just the one season and scored 19 goals in about 30 games before he finished his pro-career. scoring 218 goals in 376 league appearances. He was replaced in the Spurs team by a certain Alan Gilzean ...another top-class player...

....Over the last few years, Bobby had a few health problems and I believe that he had a replacement hip or knee op about 2 years ago which was reported upon in the Middlesbrough Gazette.

...My sympathies go out to his family.

No doubt the wider " football family " will have opportunity over the next few days to pay a proper tribute to Bobby in the press and the media and I am sure that THFC will pay a proper tribute to one of their greatest Centre Forwards.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Sep 20 2010, 18:22

Hello Bill. Welcome to Spurs Chat. Long time no hear from you mate.
    BillStroller
    Conference League
    Conference League

Post by BillStroller Mon Sep 20 2010, 22:00

....I just happened to be passing , Baz.....

...the Bobby Smith report brought back good memories of the Spurs team of the early 1960's......

...we used to play Subbuteo in an "after school club" back then and my two fave "other teams" were Spurs and Burnley.....

...will pop in again ..... not sure how to find my way about the site at first..... but hope you lot are all well and enjoying the season - SO FAR...

...us BORO fans certainly ain't.. !!![b]
    sarflondonar
    sarflondonar
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by sarflondonar Mon Sep 20 2010, 23:35

oi oi Willy!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Sep 20 2010, 23:39

Welcome on here anytime Bill. At least you aint a gooner mate. They were nothing but trouble.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Sep 21 2010, 01:42

R.I.P Bobby smith
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Tue Sep 21 2010, 01:48

BillStroller wrote:....I just happened to be passing , Baz.....

...the Bobby Smith report brought back good memories of the Spurs team of the early 1960's......

...we used to play Subbuteo in an "after school club" back then and my two fave "other teams" were Spurs and Burnley.....

...will pop in again ..... not sure how to find my way about the site at first..... but hope you lot are all well and enjoying the season - SO FAR...

...us BORO fans certainly ain't.. !!![b]

lol Bill is back RIP... Icon_cheers

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22 2010, 02:26

We shall be holding a minute's applause before kick-off tonight to pay tribute to Bobby Smith, our legendary former striker who sadly passed away on Saturday.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 22 2010, 05:00

Nice touch that. I always prefer to hear the applause rather than the minutes silence. Celebration of a life lived rather than mourning a life lost . . . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 22:28