The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
sugar EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
sugar EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
sugar EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
sugar EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
sugar EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
sugar EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
sugar EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
sugar EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
sugar EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

sugar Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

sugar

sugar Empty sugar

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 07:45

Published 22:59 22/09/10 By Alan Sugar

Terry Venables and Gary Lineker

In MirrorFootball's serialisation of his new book What You See is What You Get, businessman Alan Sugar looks at his other great love: football.

Friday 14 May 1993. The day I sacked Terry Venables, the day my son Daniel told me that this time I really had caused World War Three.

Never mind Bambi’s mum – I was the man who’d shot Bambi!

I don’t want to portray myself as a fanatical Tottenham supporter, but most people tend to follow one football club – and Spurs was my club, from when my dad and Uncle Jack used to take me.

Around 1991, I couldn’t help but read about a load of aggravation going on with Spurs’ finances and how it was on the verge of bankruptcy and being shut down.

To this day I don’t know what possessed me, but the following Monday after the FA Cup Final I put out a call to ­Venables.

My vision of Venables at the time was of a chirpy chappy, a shrewd lad. I told his adviser, Eddie Ashby, I was prepared to go ahead on the basis that Terry put up his £3million. I would then match it.

The essence of the deal was that Venables, as chief executive, would look after the football side of things, while I would oversee the business side and finances.

That was supposed to be the dream ticket. But the problems soon started.

I’d gone away on holiday straight after the Charity Shield and told Ashby we didn’t have the money to buy Gordon Durie from Chelsea. By the time I got back, ­Venables had gone ahead with the transfer without my permission.

I reminded him that I’d given my personal ­assurance to Midland Bank there would be no spending on players because of the £11m debt we’d inherited.

Venables seemed to be oblivious to this. He buried his head in the sand like an ostrich. As chief executive, ­Venables was totally out of his depth. He knew nothing about the commercial side of business.

He didn’t have a clue about things like Stock Exchange requirements, accounting, cash flow or marketing.

I was getting very concerned. On many occasions, at board meetings, Venables would make some totally stupid comment.

So much for the so-called dream team. Peter Shreeves was asked to leave as manager after the first season and Venables took over, jointly appointing Doug Livermore and Ray Clemence to assist him. It came to a head after a tournament which I’d had to beg Sky to cover to meet the contract.

Venables was convinced the deal was lining my own pocket.

From that moment on, I decided this arrangement with Venables was not going to work. It seemed the man loved to have an enemy, that Venables was not happy unless he had a fight of some kind on his hands.

And now I was the enemy he had to fend off.

I wanted to give Venables a clean way out of the ­situation. I’d offer to give him his £3m back and pay off the remainder of his outstanding contract.

Venables arrogantly believed he would be able to outride my challenge.

The date of the board meeting was set but the evening before, at the annual FWA Footballer of the Year Dinner, Venables and his associates leaked his ­imminent dismissal.

As we arrived for the board meeting, the forecourt of the club was packed with press, cameramen and fans, all screaming for my head. On my casting vote as chairman, Venables was officially fired there and then.

By 6pm that night, a judge reinstated Venables.

We had a disaster on our hands and by the time I’d got home there was a protest group outside my house. Of course we went to the High Court in the Strand. There were huge crowds standing outside, screaming my name, snarling abuse at me and calling me ‘Judas’, spitting on me and my wife Ann.

When we finally got to court, Venables’ barrister stood up and started to read out the section of my witness ­statement about Brian Clough taking a bung over the Teddy Sheringham deal.

The media went bananas about the Clough bung ­allegations. Venables had shot himself in the foot.

The judge called a halt to proceedings halfway through the second day. I was advised to exit the courtroom through his chambers and out the back entrance and to have my vehicle standing by.

When the court reconvened, the judge read out his decision and upheld the firing of ­Venables.

A few days later, Venables told the media he was going to continue his fight against me. After a lot of twists and turns, Venables finally threw in the towel. Businessman Philip Green called me to let me know that Venables was prepared to sell his shares to me for £3m.

But winning the battle was not the end. I ­realised things could potentially get worse.

Without Venables I was faced with having to run the whole football club.

Copyright © Alan Sugar 2010 An extract from What You See is What You Get by Alan Sugar, published by Macmillan on September 30, 2010 at £20

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Alan-Sugar-What-You-See-Is-Wha...

Why I said no to a bung for Cloughie

Published 22:58 22/09/10 By Alan Sugar

* (2)
    Recommend

Brian-Clough-Forest-cropped

In MirrorFootball's serialisation of his new book What You See is What You Get, businessman Alan Sugar looks at his other great love: football.

One matchday, Terry Venables uncharacteristically came into the boardroom and asked to speak to me.

He told me he was interested in a player at Nottingham Forest by the name of Teddy Sheringham, but there was a problem because, as Venables put it: “Cloughie wants a bung.”

I told him I wasn’t interested in listening to anything involving corruption and bungs. I’d heard it went on in football, but I told him it was absolutely and totally out of the question. Spurs would have no part in anything like that.

He immediately said: “Sure, yeah, that’s what I thought you’d say, but I was just checking it out with you, just letting you know. I mean, Teddy’s a great player, but that’s how it is – Cloughie wants a bung.”

As far as I was concerned, the matter was closed but over the next couple of weeks, there was constant discussion about the acquisition of Sheringham and how the transfer was being delayed.

The next thing I heard on the Sheringham transfer was that an agent, ex-player Frank ­McLintock, had handled the deal which Eddie Ashby claimed was now done. Venables had agreed to pay McLintock a £50,000 fee for arranging the transfer of the player to us.

With the transaction about to take place, I received a phone call from Colin Sandy (the finance director I’d appointed) who told me that he’d been instructed by Ashby to go down to the bank and withdraw £50,000 in cash to pay McLintock.

I told him this was absolutely ridiculous. If McLintock was an agent, he should simply send his bill to us and we’d pay it in the normal way – by cheque.

Colin said he’d explained this to Ashby, but that Venables had insisted he went down to the bank now to get the money.

I told Colin he was absolutely not allowed to do it and that he should go back and tell Ashby to tell Venables that if we had to pay McLintock a fee, we wanted an invoice showing VAT.

A few hours later, Colin called to say that McLintock had agreed to issue an invoice to the club for his services for the transfer of Sheringham, but was paid in cash.

I found out afterwards that Ashby had instructed one of the club’s accountants to go down to the bank and withdraw £58,750 in cash and the money was given to McLintock to settle his bill.

Copyright © Alan Sugar 2010 An extract from What You See is What You Get by Alan Sugar, published by Macmillan on September 30, 2010 at £20

sugar Empty Re: sugar

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 08:18

Sounds like a good read lought and thanks for bringing it to everyones attention !
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Sep 25 2010, 08:35

sounds like a slur on cloughie to me by sugar, now he cant defend himself

Post by Guest Sat Sep 25 2010, 08:37

as much as i loved tel i heard from so many people that he was a crook. funny how he and graham cant get a job.

i doubt sugar would make up them things about cloughie.
    i rekon theres loads of dody stuff that goes on in football but it wont come out as it will rock the prem.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sat Sep 25 2010, 11:02

Loughtonlegend wrote:as much as i loved tel i heard from so many people that he was a crook. funny how he and graham cant get a job.

Exactly!!! Terry was always a dodgy dealer....wonder who that reminds us of!!! Wink
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Sep 25 2010, 11:32

Sugar is a good business man and being such a good business man I find it hard to believe Venables was astute enough to put one over on him. The other thing that irks me is Sugar got rid of Venables because of his so called dodgy dealings but then appoints Graham who had also been implicated in a bung scandal. Sugar must have known this.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Sep 25 2010, 11:36

There's no doubt that Venners was a little bit 'swish'. What manager wasn't over the years? We know more about it nowadays because the investigative journalism (when they're not making the stories up over a liquid lunch)is better.

Now I have tremendous respect for Sugar, after all he brought the club I love back from the brink of financial ruin, but I can't help getting the impression that he is doing nothing so much as paint himself Whiter than White.

HE categorically stated NO to any bungs or under the table deals.

HIS was the call that put all the money, from SKY, into Football.

HE only ever acted in an ethical manner and stood firm against all the corruption around him..................................

Alan, mate ................. It's the other one that has bells on it!

A multi millionaire businessman who built his empire from nothing ..................... And did it all without once soiling his integrity?

Call me a cynic but .........................
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Sep 25 2010, 11:47

Exactly ion.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Sun Sep 26 2010, 00:15

With regards to financial matters I wouldnt trust either El Tel or Alan Sugar as far as I could throw either of them them ......... I did like El Tel for his football philosophies and football wise some of our darkest days were when Sugar was our chairman with his, 'poor , hadnt a clue what our club was all about managerial appointments' bar his fiirst choices . He's sacking of Ardiles and Perryman tore the heart out of the club and it never recovered till Levy and Enic took over ..
    Sugars reign at Spurs was all about helping Murdoch's Sky grab the pie and for Sugar himself to make a tidy profit at the end of it .. Fellow Spurs fans backing Sugar would tell us all, 'it was all about keeping Robert Maxwell away and getting our club financialy sound so the football was secondary' ...Like Ive already said said , football wise, some our darkest days ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 23:07