The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
INTER, (My Take) EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
INTER, (My Take) EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
INTER, (My Take) EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
INTER, (My Take) EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
INTER, (My Take) EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
INTER, (My Take) EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
INTER, (My Take) EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
INTER, (My Take) EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
INTER, (My Take) EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

INTER, (My Take) Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
YID FROM DAV
BazSpur
SuneJim
7 posters

INTER, (My Take)

SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

INTER, (My Take) Empty INTER, (My Take)

Post by SuneJim Fri Oct 22 2010, 21:50

Way to hit the ground running,,,,, round & round chasing our tails. The players had fear in there eyes from the off. Certainly couldn't have been a worse start. The most worrying fact for me is the we're obviously not learning from our mistakes it's exactly what happened against Young Boys. Yes a different calibre of team i will grant you, but the same problem. We start slowly go 1-0 down & panic trying to get it back straight away. When you have to just defend properly & try to keep possession & play yourselves back into the game that's how the older hands do & what we should be striving towards.

We also backed off them for the entire first half, made even worse by the sending off of Gomes which is one of those in my opinion. You can understand why he was sent off, but you also not moan at a ref for leaving the player on if the boot was on the other foot.
    I think Harry was a bit shell-shocked as well how else can you explain him not telling Crouch to at least stay on the halfway line to keep at least a couple of the Inter defenders occupied in stead of dropping so far back into the midfield they had the freedom of our half to play in & there whole eleven players to available to walk round us.

So 4-0 down at HT & boy was i worried

But the second half was a transformation brought about by harry telling the lad's they were now playing for pride. Which while bloody obvious seemed to do the trick. We started to close them down quickly & get our foot in. They dropped off a little i think we have to admit, but 4-0 up & us down to 10 men not surprising really.

Bale's first goal was an amazing statement of the lad's quality & not only stunned the San Siro, it left Maicon one of the worlds best RB's in his wake along with Zanetti one of the best players over the last twenty years. His run culminated in a shot that left what is widely perceived as the best Keeper in the world standing there flat footed while the ball nestled nicely into the old onion bag, via the side netting.

We kept them at arms length from then on in & that goal seemed to lift the weight of the world off our shoulders & made us realise they were only mortal & we could hurt them. The final flurry of the late goals & Bale's hat trick was just the icing on the cake of a game that looked like after 45 minutes could have been our worst nightmare.

Yes we lost, yes we gt nothing from that game in points wise for our CL push. But it will have given us so much confidence to know we can go away to places like that with intimidating atmospheres & score. It will also help us at WHL against Inter as won't be as worried. Plus goal difference might play apart so to just lose by one is a help. We will be confident that as long as we play properly from the start of games we can hold our own against anyone.

Now i heard the commentator's saying that watching that Everton fans would be happy. Well if i was a Toffee i'd be worried. We can only build on that come back & Modric only played minutes & Van Der Vaart is fully rested. Roll on tomorrow.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

INTER, (My Take) Empty Re: INTER, (My Take)

Post by BazSpur Sat Oct 23 2010, 00:06

Great assessment as usual Jim. Repped.
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Sat Oct 23 2010, 02:35

the assessment is good as a whole but there too many yids out there happy just because of our second half performance, i dont wanna be a comeback team, i dont want to go 3 0 down before we start playing. we need to learn from this and do something about it. fcuk the second half performance what about the formation,tactics,selection,attitude from the first half. inter took there foot off the ball because they could do, 4 0 halftime against 10 men that is job done and if it was not for some brilliance by bale it would of remained 4 0. lets not kid ourselves about this being a confidence booster because it dont boost my confidence very much, actually it tells me we have a bit to go before we are on the same level. as for everton i bet they are waiting for us knowing that 10 of our lads ran there socks off for 80 odd minutes on the biggest pitch in europe only 2 and half days earlier. moyes will recognise this and so will cahil,feilini and co. sorry for the rant just p*ssed off that im reading all positives when we lost the game so easily and so quickly.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Sat Oct 23 2010, 04:21

So you didn't read the first part of my post when i said exactly the same as you Yid Mate. I said then we need to learn & haven't yet. Can't really moan about about tactics or formation when the players just basically don't turn up for the first half but i know where your coming from. I put up a thread a while ago about having to adapt our game for the CL. But most opted for the all out attacking approach that has got us 3-0 & more down in first halves twice in our three away games.

But i will take positives out of it when we score 3 away from home at a place like the San Siro. I will take positives out of the players doing there damnedest to dig themselves out of the hole they'd dug. Dwell on the negatives all the time & don't take solace is any pluses, you'll never get any where. Build on what positives you have & learn is all we can ask.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 23 2010, 04:37

i dont think we do go all out attack away from home aganst the big teams thats why we always play 451 aganst inter man u a*se chel all away and we always lose. its harry that needs to learn not to fear teams.

As for everton they have a lot of players out so we must win this game
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Sat Oct 23 2010, 04:47

the formation was wrong. if u have bale going 1 way arron going the other, u compliment this with 2 strikers, well i would anyway whether we are away or at home. im basically saying the second half performance will never make up for the way i was feeling after 12 minutes. i did not even finish my first can and we were out of this game
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Sat Oct 23 2010, 04:50

SuneJim wrote:So you didn't read the first part of my post when i said exactly the same as you Yid Mate. I said then we need to learn & haven't yet. Can't really moan about about tactics or formation when the players just basically don't turn up for the first half but i know where your coming from. I put up a thread a while ago about having to adapt our game for the CL. But most opted for the all out attacking approach that has got us 3-0 & more down in first halves twice in our three away games.

But i will take positives out of it when we score 3 away from home at a place like the San Siro. I will take positives out of the players doing there damnedest to dig themselves out of the hole they'd dug. Dwell on the negatives all the time & don't take solace is any pluses, you'll never get any where. Build on what positives you have & learn is all we can ask.

not digging at you sunejim and i did read all your post and said it was a good assessment. just a bit concerned that our second half performance may paper over some big cracks that were there first 20 min
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Sat Oct 23 2010, 05:12

YID FROM DAV wrote:the formation was wrong. if u have bale going 1 way arron going the other, u compliment this with 2 strikers, well i would anyway whether we are away or at home. im basically saying the second half performance will never make up for the way i was feeling after 12 minutes. i did not even finish my first can and we were out of this game

I think the formation was spot on do ar*ho*es Man Utd Chelsea Barca Madrid play with two up front away in Europe hmmmmmm think not. Inter came out like the champions they were and tore us to shreds simples even if we had 11 defenders on it would be the same we started of a total mess. First goal shocked the team and they could not recover. Same formation 2nd half we score 3 so dont think it was the formation just slow out of the blocks
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sat Oct 23 2010, 05:29

Brilliant post Jim and Yid, Repped you both. I know it was not the result we craved, but as you say Jim the lads did try their hardest as you say to get us back in the game and I wonder, when was the last time a team scored 3 at the San Siro, just sad that we did not start the way we finished.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Oct 23 2010, 06:49

5 more mins we would have won that game. i think they did learn from it in the dressing room at half time. they got closer to them which if you watch the first half harry was telling them to do straight away. gave them to much respect standing off them and letting them pass it without challenge. few more let em know were here challenges wouldnt have gone amiss first half.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Oct 23 2010, 18:29

We must also remember that after 8 minutes we are down to 10 men and shorn of one of our most creative players in Modric, what with VDV being suspended, finishing so strongly is a credit to the fitness coaches, cos I can remember not so long ago always being the team that ran out of gas.

YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Sat Oct 23 2010, 20:01

MarkA249 wrote:
    YID FROM DAV wrote:the formation was wrong. if u have bale going 1 way arron going the other, u compliment this with 2 strikers, well i would anyway whether we are away or at home. im basically saying the second half performance will never make up for the way i was feeling after 12 minutes. i did not even finish my first can and we were out of this game

I think the formation was spot on do ar*ho*es Man Utd Chelsea Barca Madrid play with two up front away in Europe hmmmmmm think not. Inter came out like the champions they were and tore us to shreds simples even if we had 11 defenders on it would be the same we started of a total mess. First goal shocked the team and they could not recover. Same formation 2nd half we score 3 so dont think it was the formation just slow out of the blocks
    yes your right, barca play messi up there, united play rooney, chelsea play drogba and we play crouch. i think you can work that out without me spelling it. ps these teams play that formation every week, harry only plays it against good teams. utd etc, tell me how many games we have won playing 451. none thats how many. great formation that.
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Sat Oct 23 2010, 20:15

shearspur wrote:5 more mins we would have won that game. i think they did learn from it in the dressing room at half time. they got closer to them which if you watch the first half harry was telling them to do straight away. gave them to much respect standing off them and letting them pass it without challenge. few more let em know were here challenges wouldnt have gone amiss first half.
    do you really think we would have scored 3 times second half in the siro if the score was 0 0 at half time and milan had not bought a has been columbian full back on because the game in there eyes was dead.this type of mindset aint good for expectations. our second half performance was out of this world the other night, i was very proud to be a yid, i was very proud of our travelling support. but thats it the rest is pure fustration, fustrated that harry played 1 up front and that one being crouch, fustrated that we never started AGAIN in europe and very fustrated that the game i have been waiting years for was over in ten min. pepole can celebrate losing if they want thats not my thinking and it wont ever be. people that celebrate losing are usually losers.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Oct 23 2010, 20:29

That's a little harsh Yid mate. No one is celebrating losing but I do understand your frutration. I was tearing my hair out in the first half too (What there is of it anyway lol). I think the first half we were shocked at being hit by an early goal and the loss of our 1st choice goalkeeper and we lost Modders to make way for Cudicini, how must he have felt. Inter may well have taken their foot of the gas a little in the second half but that's not our fault we take what we can get. More fool them. I also thought the team decided to have a go second half and fair play for that. We are still learning the ropes in the CL but we are learning fast. I feel sure we wouldn't make those sorts of mistakes again. I am sure Inter will not relish coming to the Lane with the deafening noise that comes rolling down onto the pitch when the Yids are in full flow. The closeness of the Yids to the pitch may be a little unsettling. The WHL faithful will be well up for the return believe me.
    YID FROM DAV
    3rd Division
    3rd Division

Post by YID FROM DAV Sat Oct 23 2010, 20:42

its difficult on forums to say in words what actually u mean sometimes. i know people aint celebrating like it was victory and i know people are very proud of our second half performance, thats great and i am in that situation. i just dont want to get the whole package confused. anyway i think i have killed this one and hopefully people will see im fustrated for the right reasons. your right bazspurs they wont relish coming to the lane.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 16:50