The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Lennon EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Lennon EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Lennon EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Lennon EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Lennon EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Lennon EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Lennon EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Lennon EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Lennon EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Lennon Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
anicoll5
cstmrsking
shearspur
MarkA249
8 posters

Lennon

MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Lennon Empty Lennon

Post by MarkA249 Mon Nov 29 2010, 05:01

Is he back to his wing wizard best Great against Bremen great today?

Lennon Empty Re: Lennon

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29 2010, 05:08

Well the goal shouts YES YES YES Mark . . . . .

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29 2010, 06:06

i thought he was our worse player 2nd half then he pops up with a goal.

should do him the world of good though

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29 2010, 06:17

God lought ! bang on about taarabt playing in the skiffle league, and then downgrade lennon who scores the winner.

santa

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29 2010, 06:35

i say it how i see it. surley you didnt think lennon had a great 2nd half.

im not 1 of these fans who slates a player for playin rubbish then he pops up and gets a late goal suddenly hes the best

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29 2010, 06:39

Dont matter lought if he scored by beating 4 defenders from the halfway line and chipped the keeper, he scored the winner and that what the aim of the game is, 3 points thanks to cigar smoking aaron.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon Nov 29 2010, 07:19

i was at the game and i was shouting at lennon to get more into the game cos i thought he wasnt doing much , then wallop one in the net then nearly a 2nd just wide. kept his cool for the goal but i agree with lought on this one.

Post by Guest Mon Nov 29 2010, 07:34

Yup all he done was score a goal that was layed on by Crouchinio for him. Good 1st half but he was quieter in the 2nd. Overall he seems to be stepping up his game & finding his form again . . . . . . .
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Mon Nov 29 2010, 08:39

It was probably a help that Lennon had a quiet 2nd half. If the opposition took their eye off him as a result. Could have given Lennon the space to pop up out of the blue.

I like it when Bale pops up in the middle and runs at the defence, this has added so much more to his and our game, more so that Huddlestone is not in that position. And the fact that Lennon was running into space and takin g players on was good. Lets ee more of it.

PS. Where are we on the Hutton Lennon debate.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Tue Nov 30 2010, 01:18

Very decent game from Lennon yesterday - lovely finish - if only Torres and Maxi Rodriguez had shown similar cool

One minor point - Having gone to the trouble of getting Konchesky booked early on though I was surprised that Lennon and Hutton did not target him more as he looked a weak link all afternoon
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Tue Nov 30 2010, 01:31

Uncle woy realised that and Maxi was doubling up after that, except for the late burst at the end when Lennon came in from the wing
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Tue Nov 30 2010, 10:17

Loughtonlegend wrote:i thought he was our worse player 2nd half then he pops up with a goal.

Tell you what Lought how could he have a good second half,,,,,,, Hutton not only never passed to him, i was starting to question whether he was actually deliberately ignoring him.

Hutton passed to Lennon no more than 3 or 4 times in the whole game. Konchesky was booked & Lennon had all ready roasted him a couple of times. But Hutton just kept going back inside & losing the ball or crossing from deep for Crouch to no avail. I was spitting feathers watching, Lennon was always free down the right but Hutton just wasn't interested. Hutton is now only trying to make himself look good & that's to the detriment of the team & certainly Lennon.

Post by Guest Tue Nov 30 2010, 10:49

jim theres other players on the pitch. when lennon gets the ball he tends to pass it back or sideways.. lennon needs to add more to hes game.

hutton doing what lennon should be doing.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Nov 30 2010, 12:06

SuneJim wrote:
    Loughtonlegend wrote:i thought he was our worse player 2nd half then he pops up with a goal.

Tell you what Lought how could he have a good second half,,,,,,, Hutton not only never passed to him, i was starting to question whether he was actually deliberately ignoring him.

Hutton passed to Lennon no more than 3 or 4 times in the whole game. Konchesky was booked & Lennon had all ready roasted him a couple of times. But Hutton just kept going back inside & losing the ball or crossing from deep for Crouch to no avail. I was spitting feathers watching, Lennon was always free down the right but Hutton just wasn't interested. Hutton is now only trying to make himself look good & that's to the detriment of the team & certainly Lennon.

We watched a different game then Jim because I thought the two of them worked well together. Lennon was released on a number of occasions by Hutton, in the 1st half, and the two appeared, to me, to be forging a pretty good understanding. One of the telling pictures was after the final whistle when the two were all smiles and embraced each other.

I think the reason Lennon didn't feature as much in the second half, was that Hutton was overlapping more often. Now I believe this was a deliberate ploy and I'm glad you brought up the Koncheski booking with Rodriguez doubling up. This is why I believe Hutton was pushing forward more often. With Lennon double marked, this allowed Hutton to get beyond the midfield into space to cross. Look again at how often Lennon drifted away from the flank, taking the defenders with him, to allow space for Hutton to exploit.

They've worked out a way for both to attack and both to defend.

I, for one, reckon that they are making big strides in their partnership. Lennon had an excellent game and only drifted out of the play by design. Harry is using the oppositions fear of him to create attacking space for Hutton whilst Lennon is still finding ways to attack the bye line.

It is also with great pleasure that I say to those of you who claim Lennon has nothing to his game but speed ............ I'll get your coat, you're cluless. Watching the way he mugged up Konchesky, Rodriguez and anyone else he faced off against, watching the way he coolly cut back a beautiful ball for Modric, then set up Crouch, tells me that he has FAR more to his game than you keep him,sell him, keep him, sell him types give him credit for.

The partnership is coming along nicely and, as it is so early in its development, can only get better.

Post by Guest Sat Dec 04 2010, 02:49

Have rep 100 on me Ion.
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Sat Dec 04 2010, 04:14

Your bang on Ion we must have watched different matches lol. I've watched the entire game again and Hutton didn't pass the ball any where near enough to Lennon. Just kept cutting inside & bombing past him or playing long balls into the box.

They did combine well in the first 15/20 minutes & Lennon turned Konchesky inside out. Then when Knochesky was booked it should have been our signal to really test him but we didn't & that's why i started to get annoyed with Hutton & the reason for the post. They had a weakness we could have exploited but we didn't & it was only Hutton's fault. Lennon kept his width as he was asked but never got the ball second half at all. Someone does mention that Lennon was just standing on the wing but he had no choice. He come for the ball Hutton went past, he span & went Hutton punted into the area.

We missed a trick Sunday down the right with an improving Lennon regaining his confidence after a very ordinary World Cup & it was because of the lack of inter-play between Him & Hutton. Sorry Ion but you won't convince me of any thing else Mate lol

philip
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by philip Sat Dec 04 2010, 13:06

SuneJim wrote:Your bang on Ion we must have watched different matches lol. I've watched the entire game again and Hutton didn't pass the ball any where near enough to Lennon. Just kept cutting inside & bombing past him or playing long balls into the box.

They did combine well in the first 15/20 minutes & Lennon turned Konchesky inside out. Then when Knochesky was booked it should have been our signal to really test him but we didn't & that's why i started to get annoyed with Hutton & the reason for the post. They had a weakness we could have exploited but we didn't & it was only Hutton's fault. Lennon kept his width as he was asked but never got the ball second half at all. Someone does mention that Lennon was just standing on the wing but he had no choice. He come for the ball Hutton went past, he span & went Hutton punted into the area.

We missed a trick Sunday down the right with an improving Lennon regaining his confidence after a very ordinary World Cup & it was because of the lack of inter-play between Him & Hutton. Sorry Ion but you won't convince me of any thing else Mate lol

I agree with you 100 % Jim I have been saying all along Hutton does not link with Lennon most of the time , when he does it is by default ie when he can not cut in as you said. This is very similar to when Lennon plays for England Johnson does the same making lennon look like he does not do anything.

I agree with Ion to the extent that Hotton has improved slightly linking with Lennon but not well enough in my opinion. What p*sses me off most of the time is that he tend to expose the right full back position instead what he needs to undersatand is his primary duty to defend, no wonder we have not achieved a clean sheet for ages.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Dec 04 2010, 13:46

[quote="SuneJim"]Your bang on Ion we must have watched different matches lol. I've watched the entire game again and Hutton didn't pass the ball any where near enough to Lennon. Just kept cutting inside & bombing past him or playing long balls into the box.

That's fine Jim. We each see different things in a game and we saw differently, that's all. In no way am I suggesting that this partnership is the finished article, but I am suggesting that they are on their way to forging a good understanding that will have the pair of them exploiting that flank.

I like Hutton and I think it's an urban myth that he leaves that flank exposed. Yes he can get caught out of position, name me a defender who doesn't, but, on the whole, he does a sterling job there. I particularly like the way he can time a tackle and he takes sh*t from no one.
    I'll accept his negatives because his positives outweigh them significantly.

I too have watched the game a number of times and stand by my comment that I think Lennon wa drifting inside by design, allowing Hutton an avenue to attack. I grant that we could definitely have put more pressure on Konchesky but I believe we used his card situation to our advantage anyway, as Rodriguez was forced to cover him. Still, as I said previously, the partnership is still in its infancy and can only get better.

But fair play to you mate, I can accept that my opinion may well be wrong and welcome the difference of opinion. It's rather difficult to strike up a decent debate if everyone agrees with you. To use a Poker term, it kills the action.

Let's see how they perform together in the next match and we'll cross swords again.
    Very Happy
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sat Dec 04 2010, 13:50

Thank you Max, my maiden board century ................... Cushdy!

Hall of Fame here I come!
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Sat Dec 04 2010, 19:50

But our alternative is Corluka and whilst a slightly better defender then Hutton, is too slow and when he misplaces a pass and is marooned on the half way line, just cant get back. However what I did notice was Lennons willingness to get back and help out, something that he has not done in a long while. Maybe we will see Kyle Walker back in January, but with so much at stake this season, will he be ready?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content