The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Bill Nicholson. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Bill Nicholson. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Bill Nicholson. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Bill Nicholson. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Bill Nicholson. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Bill Nicholson. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Bill Nicholson. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Bill Nicholson. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Bill Nicholson. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Bill Nicholson. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Bill Nicholson.

Bill Nicholson. Empty Bill Nicholson.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20 2010, 06:28

For those of us on here that were lucky to have lived in bills era you may remember something of bills transfer targets.........ie martin peters, martin chivers.the list goes on and on, but what strikes me about the latest gossip connecting spurs with buying andy carroll from newcastle is the fact that i cant get it out my head that the player is exactly the type of striker that bill might have gone for, had this been the 1970,s.

I havent seen much of carroll at all to really put down an honest opinion, but his strike rate looks good, especially as a new prem player, and he,s young ! as i said exactly the type bill would have gone for.

Baz might be with me on this one, or even arnie ! wherever he is ? and len.

Bill Nicholson. Empty Re: Bill Nicholson.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20 2010, 09:15

i wouldnt mind carrol. hes like crouch but with goals and can score and head the ball. i heard although its prob paper talk carrol for keane n crouch.

i just watched fabino aganst real madrid hes so lazy
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Dec 20 2010, 09:16

would Billy Nic buy him nowadays ? considering what real talent there is available!

Answer > NO

Reason > overated
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Dec 20 2010, 10:49

Maybe Bill would have gone for Carrol. Chivers was big and bustling but he also had Skill on the other hand greaves wasn't big and bustling and he had skill in bucket loads. then there was Bobby Smith whom I am sure Len would know more about than me. He was hard as nails and strong as an ox. I think any striker bill bought would would have had to have just one quality. They could score goals. All the above could do that. Carroll scores goals but if you look at bill's buys they had a very good goalscoring record before Bill bought them. They had already proved themselves. I am not sure Carroll has yet.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20 2010, 12:30

Fair comment baz.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Mon Dec 20 2010, 18:10

Andy Carroll is a trouble maker, typical Geordie scumbag, we should give this fella a wide berth!!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Dec 20 2010, 21:07

Not worried about that Lee as I think Arry would handle that side of him. It's just whether he could do it at Spurs as it would be a big step up for him.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Dec 20 2010, 22:39

This Andy Carroll is like a new product on the market that every rich kids has to have before anyone else wheather its good or bad, Andy carroll comes under the premierleague radar because he is new, he banged in a few goals for Newcastle and all of a sudden hes worth a 20 million quid bid from Tottenham.

so then lets put this in perspective, THFC will offer Peter crouch & 20 mill for someone thats banged them in in the Championship " like Taraabt is" but lets all not forget its only the championship, and are we really going to break our transfer record on a player that was last resort choice for england who failed to light up the world and was replaced by crouch who scored ????

Sorry this wont happen not in a million years

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21 2010, 00:22

Its all about opinions lobo, i personally would like to see him in a spurs shirt, and if it means keane and crouch going the other way then thats ok with me too,but i suspect its the usual old bullsh*t from the usual sources.

By the way lee, because he has a bit of a reputation up at newcastle doesnt mean he will find trouble at spurs, just look at how (troublemaker) gallas has buckled down since he has been under harry. santa

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21 2010, 03:39

how old is carrol. how old is crouch. crouch has been at spurs a while now and hes scoring recored in the prem is on par with hesky.

carrol already scored aganst the scum. sumthing crouch never does.

theres loads of good players in lower leagues its just finding them.

ian wright was playin non league before he went to palace
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Tue Dec 21 2010, 03:41

Personally I would welcome Carroll at Spurs as I think he is just the type of player we need up front and would complement the skill full midfield we have and score a lot more goals than Crouch, Pav or Keane.I can see him forging a great partnership with Defoe and he doesn't just score goals but holds the ball up well and is a terrific header of the ball. I know he comes with baggage but Chris Hughton said before he was given the "elbow" that he was a changed person so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And Lew I could see Billy Nick buying him as he is his kind of player and yes he has that bustling style that Bobby Smith had. Although if the late great Smithy was playing today he would have to adapt to the "mamby pamby" rules they have today or he would be sent off every week. The number of goals he scored by barging the keeper in the net was considerable and most exciting and acceptable even on most occasions by the keeper himself. I saw a lot of him in the 50's and 60's and you never had a dull moment when he was playing. Not as skilfull as other Spurs number 9's like Chivers but he did score a lot of good goals.

But I don't see Carrol Joining us as there are to many clubs after him and I can't see Levy paying 20mil for him.

Mikey M

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21 2010, 05:50

totalytot wrote: Personally I would welcome Carroll at Spurs as I think he is just the type of player we need up front and would complement the skill full midfield we have and score a lot more goals than Crouch, Pav or Keane.I can see him forging a great partnership with Defoe and he doesn't just score goals but holds the ball up well and is a terrific header of the ball. I know he comes with baggage but Chris Hughton said before he was given the "elbow" that he was a changed person so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And Lew I could see Billy Nick buying him as he is his kind of player and yes he has that bustling style that Bobby Smith had. Although if the late great Smithy was playing today he would have to adapt to the "mamby pamby" rules they have today or he would be sent off every week. The number of goals he scored by barging the keeper in the net was considerable and most exciting and acceptable even on most occasions by the keeper himself. I saw a lot of him in the 50's and 60's and you never had a dull moment when he was playing. Not as skilfull as other Spurs number 9's like Chivers but he did score a lot of good goals.

But I don't see Carrol Joining us as there are to many clubs after him and I can't see Levy paying 20mil for him.

Mikey M

Yes mikey there is something about carroll that reminds me of an old type player that bill would have bought !he was in for chivers quick as a flash, he would have got lineker long before everton and barce, and he had a go at sniffer clarke before revie got him for leeds.

But as i said its probably only rubbish from the usual sources..........one thing is for certain though, all the hard work by bale , lennon and modric isnt being complimented by sharp enough strikers, to move up a notch we need someone else in to do a job. santa

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Dec 21 2010, 07:39

.one thing is for certain though, all the hard work by bale , lennon
    and modric isnt being complimented by sharp enough strikers, to move up
    a notch we need someone else in to do a job.

Can't argue with you there Lew. Defoe on form is probably our best but he is hardly what you would call a prolific striker.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Tue Dec 21 2010, 18:00

A revitalised Fernando Torres!! Come on Harry pull ya finger out!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 07:12