The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Modern Footballers EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Modern Footballers EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Modern Footballers EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Modern Footballers EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Modern Footballers EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Modern Footballers EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Modern Footballers EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Modern Footballers EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Modern Footballers EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Modern Footballers Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Modern Footballers

Modern Footballers Empty Modern Footballers

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 03:47

Haven't been on me soapbox for awhile so decided it was time to dust it down and have a rant. I want to try and understand why footballers seem to be able to operate outside the rules that the rest of the general population have to operate with-in. By this I mean legal & employment rules, not moral stuff like shagging your mates bird. OK boys will be boys and we all like a good laugh at work to get us through the day, yet footballers seem to operate in an area that is outside of anything remotely resembling real life. Last nights old firm game ? Huge police presence but players (& 'backroom' staff) behaved in a way that would have got them nicked for public disorder offences had it have been a parks game. OK thousands of people in the stadium and the gavvers want to keep a lid on it but nothing from the police. Gattusos headbutt on Jordan ? In the street he would have been nicked. Rooney and his cowardly assualt on the Wigan player ? Again he would have been nicked in the public domain. But surely a stadium is part of the public domain ? The police would have nicked a Utd fan should he have clipped a Wigan fan like that in the stands ! Instead nothing & Utd start making excuses for Rooney. I work for an organisation that should I get arrested I could, in theorey, be sacked. It's called bringing the good name of the organisation into disrepute. In theorey I could be sacked with-out being arrested if any action of mine could be deemed to be unacceptable & reach the public eye, but what happens in my private life is hard to make stick when it comes to my working life; ask any good Union rep. But I do know that should I strike another worker then it's the dole queue for me. By this widely accepted code of general working practice Ledley King could have been sacked for his drunken antics making the national press, along with countless other players. Lets now move onto that bastion of fine living that is Ashley Cole. He takes a firearm to his place of employment & proceeds to "accidentley" shoot a trainee (fellow employee). Naughty boy Ashley.Quarter of a million £ fine. 2 fekin weeks wages only FFS ! You or I would be sacked and facing a police investigation. Even if Chelski did sack poor lil Ashley another club would bite his hand off to sign him up. You or I would have this reference to put forward to any prospective future employer and struggle to convince them we were level headed enough to be considered for a job. I don't know if this is a problem peculiar to just British football or not. The incidents we see are most often involving British players (in the cases of Rooney & Cole, lauded & praised full internationals) and only rarely the "Carlos Kickaball" foreign players. Is it time for the football auhorities to draw up & demand clubs & players sign up to an "Acceptable Code Of Conduct" agreement ? Also is it time for players to have large chunks of their wages held in trust until they leave a club or retire from the game ? This may just keep players hungury enough to concentrate on playing rather then page 3 slappers, bling & Bentleys . . ..
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Modern Footballers Empty Re: Modern Footballers

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Mar 04 2011, 04:46

I do so struggle with the orange Vis but I hear you , get it off yer chest lol....Footballers and I'd say rugby players too however much the old school journos wish to sweep it under the carpet, are two sports that have plenty of characters whom are quite happy to display loutish behaviour...
    I watched plenty of the old firm game yesterday and I so hate to see people like Lennon the Celtic manager and Diouf the Rangers player, displaying their yobbishness ..Small dicks? ..Maybe but it seems like these two characters have been forever in the game behaving in that manner and its about time players and managers too, be banned for long periods if they dont clean up their act ... Personally, I call the likes or Lennon and Diouf , bluffers in the game .... They're thugs in a sport that gives them more than the good living their average talents deserve, hiding behind their short commings with bravado ...

Off the field there is plenty of idiots too , drink driving , constant road offences , usually speeding, but then thats hardly suprising when you have a young 20 something behind the wheel of a turbo engine whatever ...

Theres bad apples in the game but there is some good decent people too ....I used to work in a music shop and we had plenty of footballers buy their CD's and albums off us ..I served some cool footballers like Becks , Danny Maddix , Clive Wilson , Terry Gibson, Les Ferdinand , Teddy Sherringham, Andy Cole ... Used to serve Frank Bruno some tunes too ...( The players in italic, were regulars for many years).... Clive Wilson liked a rabbit and Danny Maddix was a good thinker and shared his philosophies and caring about what was going on in the world . ....
    We also had many youth team players from all the London teams coming in and if anything ,some of them were the flashiest and most arrogant and cant recall any of those making it either ...
    I have to agree with Harry who has often said, 'the problem with modern day football is that the youngsters get to much, way to early' .. I guess the same could be said about today's society .. ...

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 05:08

Very true Arnie and thats why I put forward the suggestion of holding wages in trust for players ? Lets use the lovable Ashley as our example here. Its alleged he gets £125K a week. If clubs said they would only pay £25K a week up front I'm sure Ashley wouldn't starve or have to live in a disreputable bedsit or squat. The other £100K is being banked (with intrest) for him and being held by a trustworthy 3rd party. When he leaves Chelski, or retires from the game (this would be when I payed it out), that huge wedge is waiting from him to live a life of luxury beyond most peoples imaginings and fair pay back for his undoubted skill on the pitch over the years. Do this with trainees et al and you keep their feet fimly planted on the ground. You increase their salary over the years until it reaches the agreed ceiling. To me this should concentrate the mind of young players. Keep them keen and in-line. Make the game the focus not the shiny baubles that wealth brings them. We are always hearing about how short a professionals career is and how they are entitled to every penny they earn. I don't disagree but when you start paying a man an amount that takes most of us many years to earn in a week then that man will become distracted & lazy and think he is beyond the bounds of 'normal society' due to his wealth. Make him earn his money while playing, with the carrot of vast wealth when his career is over. And also make him realise that should he misbehave in a way that would for most of us bring hardship & shame, he will suffer the same way . . . . . .

Post by Guest Fri Mar 04 2011, 06:13

clive wilson now he was a good player for us.

i didnt see the rangers celtic game last night but heard about it.

the so called respect campaing seems to have gone out the window.

as for lennon and dioff both of them should be banned

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 12:44