The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
VDV Quote EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
VDV Quote EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
VDV Quote EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
VDV Quote EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
VDV Quote EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
VDV Quote EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
VDV Quote EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
VDV Quote EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
VDV Quote EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

VDV Quote Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
LOBO
totalytot
6 posters

VDV Quote

totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

VDV Quote Empty VDV Quote

Post by totalytot Tue Jul 05 2011, 21:22

Not happy to read VDV quote today saying he thinks Modric and Bale will leave this season as they are not in it for the money only silverware.

They are back training now so you wonder what has been said on the training ground.

Mikey M
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

VDV Quote Empty Re: VDV Quote

Post by LOBO Tue Jul 05 2011, 22:36

They can see that this club is being ran for money making purposes only , I'm starting to think that we have no real ambition to really compete at the top end, because Levy know's to do that we would have to spend big , and he don't want to spend big, we are to a certain extent the nearly boys, close but not close enough.

The transfer market looks yet to be another stumbling block for us, because we simply wont pay top dollar, ok can we really believe levy offered 35 mill in Jan for Rossi, I don't believe it myself, its out of character for a start, then you have to look at it from a players point of view, Bale & Modric no doubt about it are to good for Spurs, we have a good team but its not on the same par as with say Man u Chelski or City , we don't have that kind of quality in depth, and because nothing is happening in the Market great Players like Modric will begin to think i can do a lot better than this .

I still think we will end up signing someone we really don't need and will end up mid table this season, Levy needs to take a reality check , you don't win nothing with 2 great players in a team, either spend or except the fact we can't compete with out buying fresh players once in a while, still think getting rid of Commoli was a mistake, cos now the recruiting is left to levy, hence no signings
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Tue Jul 05 2011, 22:42

Seems to me if you're in it for silverware you go to Man U or Chelsea' if you're in it for money you go to Man C if you're in it for the long haul you're a liar and if you're in it for laughs you go to Arsenal.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Tue Jul 05 2011, 22:44

Redknapp was on SSN when they launched the new look SSN, and he said Spurs bid 18m for Rossi, not the 35m the media reported.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Tue Jul 05 2011, 22:51

Can I suggest you guys actually read the VDV interview?

Not once does he suggest that either player is leaving. He's been asked a leading question, for example 'were Modric or Bale to leave, would it be to the highest payer?' He's answered that their motivation is Silverware and the end result is this. Once more the inferiority complex kicks in and panic stations over our best players leaving because you paraphrase him.

Chill out chaps.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Jul 06 2011, 00:20

seebee1944 wrote: Seems to me if you're in it for silverware you go to Man U or Chelsea' if you're in it for money you go to Man C if you're in it for the long haul you're a liar and if you're in it for laughs you go to Arsenal.

LMAO that's quite good , especially the last bit
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Wed Jul 06 2011, 03:04

Well said Ion, i read the VDV interview and not once did he say Modric or Bale was leaving and Lobo, wats this about Modric and Bale being undoubtedly too goodn for Spurs? There aint no player bigger or better than the club and can be replaced and will be replaced if they decide to leave!
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Wed Jul 06 2011, 08:38

ionman34 wrote:

Not once does he suggest that either player is leaving. He's been asked a leading question, for example 'were Modric or Bale to leave, would it be to the highest payer?' He's answered that their motivation is Silverware and the end result is this. Once more the inferiority complex kicks in and panic stations over our best players leaving because you paraphrase him.

Chill out chaps.

Why say it at all Ion it will only stir things up. We know they want silverware I would hope all Spurs players do but it's implying they are more likely to at another club.

I know you have a lot of faith in Levy were I have none at all but do you not think that if and when Chelsea or whoever comes along and offers 40 mil, he will not sell Modric, because I do.

He paid lip service to us in January saying we tried for Rossi and others but it was just to late and before you ask "how do I know that actually happened were you actually there" I know because Harry said the chairman told him that he tried but was to late.

That's why I don't believe Levy when he says none of our top players are for sale and why I believe Modric will be gone by the end of the month.

If that happens I can live with it providing we get 2 or 3 top players but it's the fall out of others in the squad that worries me more than anything.

I know what his excuse will be if it happens "We have shareholders to think of and it was to big an offer to turn down and you can't keep a player if he wants to go. Not true he has just signed a 6 year deal so you can make him stay and go on and win things and show modric and the rest of Europe that Spurs are a force to be reckoned with. Not just for a season but for the long haul.

Mikey M

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Jul 06 2011, 12:26

totalytot wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

Chill out chaps.

Why say it at all Ion it will only stir things up. We know they want silverware I would hope all Spurs players do but it's implying they are more likely to at another club.

I know you have a lot of faith in Levy were I have none at all but do you not think that if and when Chelsea or whoever comes along and offers 40 mil, he will not sell Modric, because I do.

He paid lip service to us in January saying we tried for Rossi and others but it was just to late and before you ask "how do I know that actually happened were you actually there" I know because Harry said the chairman told him that he tried but was to late.

That's why I don't believe Levy when he says none of our top players are for sale and why I believe Modric will be gone by the end of the month.

If that happens I can live with it providing we get 2 or 3 top players but it's the fall out of others in the squad that worries me more than anything.

I know what his excuse will be if it happens "We have shareholders to think of and it was to big an offer to turn down and you can't keep a player if he wants to go. Not true he has just signed a 6 year deal so you can make him stay and go on and win things and show modric and the rest of Europe that Spurs are a force to be reckoned with. Not just for a season but for the long haul.

Mikey M

You just answered for me Mikey. He has a 6 year deal so Levy holds all the cards. If Modric is unhappy and, say, goes on strike then we can suspend his wages as he will be in breach of contract.

Danny has him by the short and curlies mate. This is why he has made such an unequivocal statement and that is why Modric will be playing for Spurs for at least one more season.

"In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.

"We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.

"For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any club, regarding Luka."

This is the statement from Danny, not in its entirety, and leaves absolutely zero room for maneuvre.

You call it faith in Levy, I call it faith in logic. There is no logic to him selling as it will negate and, ultimately, destroy all of the hard graft he's invested into putting us up at the top of the tree. We can all see how close we are to that, and what it is worth, financially, to the club, yet you seem to think that Danny is blind to this when he is the one who has formed and implemented the strategy that put us in this position in the first place.

He's the best Chairman in the EPL bar none. We're on the verge of challenging for the title, we're financially healthier than any club in England, and most of Europe for that matter, we are littered with Internationals complete with World Class talent and all this following virtual bankruptcy and with just a 36,000 capacity stadium which limits our spending power.

Sir Alan may have saved us but Danny has put us on the cusp of being a Super Power in European Football. You think he'll jeapordise all of that for a paltry short term gain of 40 million? All because he sold a couple of players in completely different circumstances? Why do you think we are one of the very few clubs out there anchoring our talent to long term deals? You think it's so we can maximise our sell on return when both the Carrick and Berbatov situations revealed that he can do that with just 2 years left. I believe it's so that he is never held to ransom ever again and to prevent us ever being Cherrypicked again.

The latest from Spurs is that no crunch talks will be happening with Modric. This would lead me to believe that he's already spoken to the Chairman, said something along the lines of 'No idea where that came from Boss, I haven't gotten off the Wife for the last 2 weeks let alone spoken to a Journalist' and the whole thing has been put to bed.

But we will see. All I can say is that it is not blind faith but is based completely in logic. Danny Levy, to me, is an eminently logical man. Selling Modric just does not compute.

totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Wed Jul 06 2011, 19:00

ionman34 wrote:
    totalytot wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

Chill out chaps.

Mikey M

You just answered for me Mikey. He has a 6 year deal so Levy holds all the cards. If Modric is unhappy and, say, goes on strike then we can suspend his wages as he will be in breach of contract.

Danny has him by the short and curlies mate. This is why he has made such an unequivocal statement and that is why Modric will be playing for Spurs for at least one more season.

"In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.

"We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.

"For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any club, regarding Luka."

This is the statement from Danny, not in its entirety, and leaves absolutely zero room for maneuvre.

You call it faith in Levy, I call it faith in logic. There is no logic to him selling as it will negate and, ultimately, destroy all of the hard graft he's invested into putting us up at the top of the tree. We can all see how close we are to that, and what it is worth, financially, to the club, yet you seem to think that Danny is blind to this when he is the one who has formed and implemented the strategy that put us in this position in the first place.

He's the best Chairman in the EPL bar none. We're on the verge of challenging for the title, we're financially healthier than any club in England, and most of Europe for that matter, we are littered with Internationals complete with World Class talent and all this following virtual bankruptcy and with just a 36,000 capacity stadium which limits our spending power.

Sir Alan may have saved us but Danny has put us on the cusp of being a Super Power in European Football. You think he'll jeapordise all of that for a paltry short term gain of 40 million? All because he sold a couple of players in completely different circumstances? Why do you think we are one of the very few clubs out there anchoring our talent to long term deals? You think it's so we can maximise our sell on return when both the Carrick and Berbatov situations revealed that he can do that with just 2 years left. I believe it's so that he is never held to ransom ever again and to prevent us ever being Cherrypicked again.

The latest from Spurs is that no crunch talks will be happening with Modric. This would lead me to believe that he's already spoken to the Chairman, said something along the lines of 'No idea where that came from Boss, I haven't gotten off the Wife for the last 2 weeks let alone spoken to a Journalist' and the whole thing has been put to bed.

But we will see. All I can say is that it is not blind faith but is based completely in logic. Danny Levy, to me, is an eminently logical man. Selling Modric just does not compute.

Football, Logic!!Don't quite seem to go together somehow Ion but your argument is certainly logical but don't hold your breath my friend although I hope you are right.

Mikey M

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28 2024, 20:28