The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Paris Saint German EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Paris Saint German EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Paris Saint German EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Paris Saint German EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Paris Saint German EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Paris Saint German EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Paris Saint German EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Paris Saint German EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Paris Saint German EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Paris Saint German Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Paris Saint German

Paris Saint German Empty Paris Saint German

Post by Guest Thu Aug 04 2011, 23:31

After reading one of Arnies posts about PSG I found this article and thought it maybe of some intrest to other forum users as it shows how modern football is becoming a rich persons plaything, taking away the heart & soul of a club in pursuit of shiny baubles . . . .

Qatari takeover heralds new dawn for Paris Saint-Germain

By John Sinnott
    BBC Sport

Historically Paris has experienced its fair share of revolutions and this summer it witnessed another - the takeover of perennial underachievers Paris Saint-Germain by Qatari investors.

Qatar Sports Investments - established in 2005 by son of the Emir and heir to the Qatari throne, Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad Al Thani - bought a 70% stake in PSG on 30 June and quickly installed former Inter Milan coach Leonardo as general manager.

Now PSG are threatening to do in France what Manchester City have been doing over the last couple of seasons in England - blow all and sundry out of the water when it comes to the transfer market.

This week, in the run-up to the Ligue 1 kick-off at the weekend, PSG were close to smashing the French transfer record by signing Palermo's Javier Pastore for 43m euros (£37.4m).
    Even leaving the 22-year-old Argentine playmaker aside, though, the Parisian club have invested more than £37m on new players this summer - three times as much as champions Lille.

"PSG could be in a league of their own for the next five to 10 years," Liverpool's French director of football Damien Comolli told BBC Sport, while Arsenal scout Gilles Grimandi simply said: "They are now on another planet."

The mystery is why it has taken so long for PSG, who last won the title in 1994, to attract serious money.

Key to PSG's appeal is the fact that Paris is unique for a city of its size in having only one professional football club.

"If you look at popular collective sports around the world there is not one club... that fits into the middle of an area with roughly 10-12 million inhabitants and has absolute exclusivity on [its] market," Comolli told BBC Sport.

The attractiveness of Paris as a capital city will also help to lure new stars, with Comolli arguing Pastore's signing is a taster of PSG's future player recruitment strategy.
    "Pastore is a marquee signing for PSG and French football," said the former Tottenham and St Etienne director of football.

"He is a very, very talented boy. He could have a massive impact at PSG and in French football. PSG looked at Ganso and Adel Taarabt, but they decided to go for Pastore.

"The strategy to go and buy younger players, who could become world stars like Pastore, is the right one.

"The Premier League or the Spanish will be a lot more attractive for [established] players. I think a top player will always want to play for Liverpool before PSG because of its history and the Premier League's competitiveness."

The other mystery surrounding PSG is why the club has historically failed to exploit the riches of young talent on its doorstep.

"It's one of the most important catchment areas for player recruitment, not only in France or Europe, but in the world," added Comolli. "Just look at the French national team - 80% of the players come from the Paris area.

"It's funny - the very talented players from Paris don't play for PSG. They play for Rennes, St Etienne or Lyon, like ex-Lyonnais winger Hatem Ben Arfa, who was born in Paris.
    "PSG had a reputation for not producing players. And players from their academy would never have a chance to play in the first team.

"But PSG's under-17s have won the league as have their under-19s [last] season. They now look much stronger in youth development.

"At those ages the key thing is not to win titles, but to bring players through. However, they are on the right track."

But Grimandi warns that PSG's new-found riches will require a delicate balancing act from Leonardo and the club's coach Antoine Kombouare.

"PSG now face a difficult task - finding the right balance between developing young players and signing top, top players," said the Arsenal scout.

Former Lyon boss Alain Perrin, who now coaches Qatari club Al Khor, also warns it is imperative Kombouare makes a good start given that PSG are still busy recruiting.

"The team is late coming together and the coach needs time and it can be difficult to come back if you start slowly."

But Comolli predicted that PSG's near 20-year title drought is unlikely to go on for much longer - though whether they can challenge for the Champions League is debatable.

"They will need a bit of time, but they will challenge for the title this season and I think they will easily qualify for the Champions League.
    "But it takes time to win a winning mentality to win the Champions League. You only have to look at Chelsea.

"You have to ask is the French league competitive enough to give PSG a sufficient challenge for them to be ready to compete in the Champions League."

And what about other top European teams - need they fear a newly-rich PSG?

"I think it will change French football, but I don't think it will have an impact on European football," said Comolli. "Liverpool will always be Liverpool, Real Madrid will always be Real Madrid and Inter Milan will always be Inter Milan."

PSG TRANSFER ACTIVITY
    Continue reading the main story• €11m: Forward Kevin Gameiro from Lorient
    • €10m: Midfielder Blaise Matuidi from Saint-Etienne
    • €8m: Midfielder Jeremy Menez from Roma
    • €7m: Malian midfielder Mohamed Sissoko from Juventus
    • €3.5m: Serbian defender Milan Bisevac from Valenciennes
    • €3.5m: Italian goalkeeper Salvatore Sirigu from Palermo
    • Free: Goalkeeper Nicolas Douchez from Rennes
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Paris Saint German Empty Re: Paris Saint German

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 01:02

I spent a year living and working out in Qatar back in 1996/1997. At that time the country was in the full flow of development along the lines that Dubai had laid. In a population of 3 million (at the time) only 500,000 were Qatari's. The country is absolutely filthy rich off the back of Gas more than Oil. I believe they are actually the richest country in the World per capita.

And they're absolutely sports mad.

This scares me more than the Russian does. I've also heard that Malaga have, or are in the process of, being bought by Qatari's. It seems to me that the Arabs are using Europe as their very own real life Subbuteo games. Money is not a drawback for these people so it might as well be Subbuteo where you can have whoever you want just by painting their name on the back of a figure.

FFP REALLY needs to be implemented and strongly too, otherwise Football teams will drop like flies and the grass roots game become extinct.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 01:36

How is this for a nightmare scenario Ion ? European Super-league with teams owned mainly by Arabs playing each other week in week out with games shown on PPV only. Kind of a Chumps League, but a closed-shop version that would allow no outsiders in . . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 02:02

VisionarySound wrote:How is this for a nightmare scenario Ion ? European Super-league with teams owned mainly by Arabs playing each other week in week out with games shown on PPV only. Kind of a Chumps League, but a closed-shop version that would allow no outsiders in . . . . .

That would actually be of benefit to World Football, IMO, Vis.

They can go off to their Ivory towers, watch their showcase teams, whilst the rest of us take back our game and, hopefully, run it properly. Interest would soon be lost in games where no atmosphere existed. After all, it's the atmosphere that makes the game so wonderful for us.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 02:07

Very good point Ion but would things such as the EPL lose it's vast funding revenues putting it on a par with something like the Conference league at present ? All the best players would be in the Euro league and any new talent would soon be snapped up by them. It would take English football back to a more grass roots level but the lose of revenue, especially Sky type revenue, would see many clubs collapse and the ones left becoming feeder clubs for the elite . . . .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 02:33

VisionarySound wrote:Very good point Ion but would things such as the EPL lose it's vast funding revenues putting it on a par with something like the Conference league at present ? All the best players would be in the Euro league and any new talent would soon be snapped up by them. It would take English football back to a more grass roots level but the lose of revenue, especially Sky type revenue, would see many clubs collapse and the ones left becoming feeder clubs for the elite . . . .

Possibly mate, but how many clubs would there be in this European League? 14? 20? And all games on Pay per View?

I reckon it'd last about as long as that WWE attempt at a new Americal Football League. They'd get some followers for sure, but don't you think that PPV would isolate these teams from the vast majority? Wouldn't this reduce revenue?

I think that more would go 'back to basics' and watch their local clubs to experience the atmosphere. Think of your own attachment to the Spurs, how did it set in? Was it whilst watching a game on the TV or when you first went to WHL and heard the roar?

Mate, the hairs used to stand up on the back of my neck just WALKING INTO the stadium, before most of the fans were in and the groundsmen were still watering the turf! I'd sit and read my program, eating the burger I'd bought from the line of vans down Park Lane, listening to the volume build and watching the players warm up.

I lived for those days, even the evening games, wrapped up in a Helly Hansen with gloves, scarf & Beaney, itching for the whistle to blow for kick off, then walking across the park, back to the car, listening to all the amateur managers who'd have changed this and made that substitution etc.

THAT is what makes Football the World game. Not the money, not the exposure.

It's US.

When they take the game away from us it dies and will only be reborn through us the fans.

Post by Guest Fri Aug 05 2011, 02:55

I hope so Ion . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Aug 05 2011, 03:16

Mate, the hairs used to stand up on the
    back of my neck just WALKING INTO the stadium, before most of the fans
    were in and the groundsmen were still watering the turf! I'd sit and
    read my program, eating the burger I'd bought from the line of vans down
    Park Lane, listening to the volume build and watching the players warm
    up.

Aw mate what memories. I would get there some two hours before kick off and go much through the same ritual as yourself. I used to walk from Lower Edmonton when I was in my early 20s grab a Burger on the way as I sucked in the atmosphere all along the road from Edmonton to Tottenham. People standing outside the pubs drinking, scarves around their necks or in those days around their wrists. Buy my programme then sit on the terraces of the Park Lane waitning for the ground to fill up. Wish I could go back to those times just once lol. Now then there's an idea for a thread. .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 03:42

BazSpur wrote:Mate, the hairs used to stand up on the
    back of my neck just WALKING INTO the stadium, before most of the fans
    were in and the groundsmen were still watering the turf! I'd sit and
    read my program, eating the burger I'd bought from the line of vans down
    Park Lane, listening to the volume build and watching the players warm
    up.

Aw mate what memories. I would get there some two hours before kick off and go much through the same ritual as yourself. I used to walk from Lower Edmonton when I was in my early 20s grab a Burger on the way as I sucked in the atmosphere all along the road from Edmonton to Tottenham. People standing outside the pubs drinking, scarves around their necks or in those days around their wrists. Buy my programme then sit on the terraces of the Park Lane waitning for the ground to fill up. Wish I could go back to those times just once lol. Now then there's an idea for a thread. .

I always had to get there early Baz just so I could get a decent parking spot, just off Church Lane I think it was. Then walk over Bruce Castle Park, through the kids offering to mind your car, in one of their parking spots, for a tenner before hitting the High Road. Park Lane was almost opposite the Lane I used to come out of. Games against the goons were a drama because that Lane would be jam packed with Yids waiting for the goons to show. Meat wagons for miles down the centre of the High Road with Cozzers everywhere LOL.

Conversely, you hardly saw any Cozzers at Highbury. I once walked through their manor with all my colours on with my Brother and 2 mates. He was going garrety thinking that I'd get us bashed but all we got was a few mouthy goons giving it the biggun from a pub and that was it.Very tame at the Library TBH, VERY intimidating at WHL, even I was scared and I'm a Yid!!

Gotta say though, those burgers on Park Lane are the best I've ever had. They kick the sh*t out of McD's & BK.
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Fri Aug 05 2011, 03:43

Just had a look on Google maps, Chapel Stones was the name of the Lane.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Aug 05 2011, 03:54

VERY intimidating at WHL, even I was scared and I'm a Yid!!

Tell me about it mate. I had some hairy moments on the PL with Yids from time to time lol.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 01:22