The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Obituary Barbara EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Obituary Barbara EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Obituary Barbara EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Obituary Barbara EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Obituary Barbara EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Obituary Barbara EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Obituary Barbara EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Obituary Barbara EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Obituary Barbara EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Obituary Barbara Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Obituary Barbara

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Obituary Barbara Empty Obituary Barbara

Post by Boltjean Tue Sep 13 2011, 23:20

Club Statement. We were saddened to learn of the passing of Barbara Wallace who died recently aged 91, Barbara worked in the general office for 24 years from 1956 to 1980 as a receptionist, telephonist and administrator and was also Bill Nicholson's personal secretary. The only full time Female member of our office staff, she supplied the blue and white ribbons which were attached to the trophy lifted at Wembley by Danny Blanchflower in 1961 as the ribbons that had been on the trophy when we won the FA Cup in 1901 and 1921 had been lost.
    Rest in Peace Barbara.
    This was posted on News Now, and there is a picture of Barbara standing with Spurs players on a Tennis Court. Now I could pick out Glenn Hoddle and Ralph Coates, but do not recognizethe others, although I might know the one to the left of Barbara but can not put a name to him. If you go on News Now and look for the news item Obituary Barbara, see how many you know.

Obituary Barbara Empty Re: Obituary Barbara

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2011, 00:40

it looks like a photo from approx 1976 len, and i recognise neil mcnab who moved on to bolton, the tall one at the back might be chris jones, i also recognise glen hoddle and ralph coates, and i am sure one is barry daines?
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Wed Sep 14 2011, 05:19

Well done Lew, Neil McNab, I could not put a name to him. A midfielder signed by Spurs in 1974 when he became our youngest ever first team player at the age of 16. He made 72 appearances and scored 3 goals. He moved to Bolton in 1978, left for Brighton in 1980 and then signed for Man City in 1983, I had forgot that. He made 221 appearances and scored 16 goals before moving on to Tranmere in 1990. In 1992 he signed for Ayr United and only after 4 appearances he signed for Darlington then Derry City. In 2002 he became the Exeter City manager but lasted only 4 months. Not sure where he is now, he must be about 53 now. It looks as though he had a good spell at City. When he joined Bolton I wonder if that was a swap for, was it a player named McAllister?, I seem to remember, not very well though that he came from Bolton and was a very good player. Blowed if I can remember when he joined us.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Sep 14 2011, 06:49

Wasn't Neil in some advert when he was about 14? He was doing tricks with a football and kicking it against a wall and kick ups. Can't remember what the ad was now. He was going to be the new George Best.

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2011, 06:50

Boltjean wrote:Well done Lew, Neil McNab, I could not put a name to him. A midfielder signed by Spurs in 1974 when he became our youngest ever first team player at the age of 16. He made 72 appearances and scored 3 goals. He moved to Bolton in 1978, left for Brighton in 1980 and then signed for Man City in 1983, I had forgot that. He made 221 appearances and scored 16 goals before moving on to Tranmere in 1990. In 1992 he signed for Ayr United and only after 4 appearances he signed for Darlington then Derry City. In 2002 he became the Exeter City manager but lasted only 4 months. Not sure where he is now, he must be about 53 now. It looks as though he had a good spell at City. When he joined Bolton I wonder if that was a swap for, was it a player named McAllister?, I seem to remember, not very well though that he came from Bolton and was a very good player. Blowed if I can remember when he joined us.

Don mcallister was part of the team that got relegated and promotion in 1977/1978 and played in the same spurs team as neil mcnab len ! i think you are right that he came from bolton.
    I think he joined spurs in 1975 but i cant be certain without checking it on google.
    I think he got limited time after spurs got promotion and ardiles and villa joined along with crooks and archibald a little later.
    Paul miller took over the cb spot, and i seem to remember john lacy joined from fulham around that time.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Sep 14 2011, 06:52

http://mcivta.com/players/old/mcnab.html

Post by Guest Wed Sep 14 2011, 07:03

Thanks for that baz, good little player who reminds me of that season in the old second division, funny enough a season i enjoyed, though it was a battle to get up in a division that we had been leading for a long time.

But going a little of topic !!!!!!!
    Barbara seems quite young in that photograph, and many thanks for all the work she did for the club.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 16:26