The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Levy to offer to double Modric wages. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Levy to offer to double Modric wages. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+3
LOBO
HotspurRoper
BazSpur
7 posters

Levy to offer to double Modric wages.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Levy to offer to double Modric wages. Empty Levy to offer to double Modric wages.

Post by BazSpur Wed Sep 28 2011, 07:48

Tottenham prepare to double Luka Modric's money

Tottenham Hotspur have opened talks with Luka Modric over an improved new
    contract after fending off Chelsea’s attempts to sign the midfielder during
    the summer.

Levy to offer to double Modric wages. Burt_60_1757421j

By
    Jason Burt

9:05PM BST 27 Sep 2011

Even though Modric has just under five years left on his deal, Spurs chairman
    Daniel Levy has accepted the argument of manager Harry Redknapp that the
    Croatian should be given a substantial pay rise. It is understood that
    Modric is paid just over £40,000 a week, wages which Chelsea were prepared
    to treble. Spurs will not offer that but will consider doubling his salary.

Modric’s present talks are likely to see him become the club’s highest player
    with the negotiations made easier by the departure at the end of the
    transfer window of Robbie Keane, who had an agreement in his contract linked
    to the club’s wage ceiling.

Tottenham Hotspur run a very tight ship in terms of wages, but having turned
    down bids of £22 million, £27 million, £30 million and, finally, £40 million
    from Chelsea,
    Levy knows he must reflect Modric’s value in his salary.

Earlier in September Redknapp said Modric should be paid more: “If he’s worth
    ­£40 million, then life tells you that you have to be paid accordingly. You
    can’t say he is worth that much then pay him the wages of someone worth £5
    million. That doesn’t ring true, does it? You have to look after the boy and
    I am sure we will do that. Hopefully, his future is here.”

The situation is complicated by the fact that Modric made it clear that he
    wanted to quit Spurs to join Chelsea - with Redknapp leaving the player out
    of the Premier League match away to Manchester United because “his head was
    not right.

There is some concern at Spurs that by rewarding a player who wanted to leave
    with an improved deal it might send out the wrong message to the rest of the
    squad. At the same time other players might demand increases in their wages.

However, Spurs recognise that Modric is their most important player and are
    also desperate to avoid a re-run of the summer transfer saga when the window
    re-opens in January. Modric’s case has also been helped by the strong form
    he has shown since the window has closed.

Still Spurs will continue to have to fight to keep Modric with a number of
    clubs remaining interested in the play-maker, 26, who has previously been
    linked with Manchester United.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Levy to offer to double Modric wages. Empty Re: Levy to offer to double Modric wages.

Post by HotspurRoper Wed Sep 28 2011, 16:52

As much as i dispise the amount of wages footballers are on these days iv learned to deal with it as its not going to change and if anything get alot worse.......... So if you want the best at your club you gotta pay top dollar
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Levy to offer to double Modric wages. Empty Re: Levy to offer to double Modric wages.

Post by LOBO Wed Sep 28 2011, 17:41

£100 grand a week its been reported , when modric signed a new 5 year deal he was being offered 70grand a week , reports suggesting he only earns 40grand a week atm is incorrect.. so this must mean then the wage cap has gone
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Wed Sep 28 2011, 18:30

if Modric does sign the contract it proves that it was all about the money all along not wanting to join a so called "bigger club". i think Levy has realised if u want to join the big boys u will have to pay big boy wages or end up like Arsenal lmao so if thats the case expect Adebayor to become permanent and maybe a big signing in January i think we nedd two players a quality centre half and striker Midfield will be strong when all fit
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Sep 28 2011, 19:16

MarkA249 wrote:if Modric does sign the contract it proves that it was all about the money all along not wanting to join a so called "bigger club". i think Levy has realised if u want to join the big boys u will have to pay big boy wages or end up like Arsenal lmao so if thats the case expect Adebayor to become permanent and maybe a big signing in January i think we nedd two players a quality centre half and striker Midfield will be strong when all fit

I'm all for higher wages just so we can compete in the transfer market , i said all along the reason we can't sign top top players is because of the money other clubs offer them, and no footballer on earth is going to turn down 100grand + a week or come to Tottenham and get 40k aweek, its a sorry fact but the truth of the matter is if you want a Rolls Royce expect to pay top dollar or end up with a Bentley instead lol
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Sep 28 2011, 19:25

There is not a wage cap at Spurs, it is a wage structure. By offloading the 'Deadwood', Levy has freed up money from other wages. What he has saved by getting rid of Keane and Crouch, he can now put towards the wages of Adabad and Modric.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Wed Sep 28 2011, 19:58

Ion, do think it will cause any unrest from the other players?

Good to see you posting, Brother.[b]
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Sep 28 2011, 22:56

cstmrsking wrote:Ion, do think it will cause any unrest from the other players?

I don't think so mate, just so long as they're on a good wage themselves, but it's hard to be sure really. I think, ultimately, it will depend on just how well we do this season and just who contributes to it. But I think that the success will afford the club the opportunity to reward those players that do contribute, which is as it should be really.

It's a really fine balancing act that the club are engaged in at the moment and credit should go to them for putting together so much quality, on the wages we can afford to pay, with so many other wealthy clubs around and willing to tap up and decimate what we're trying to build.

Good to see you posting, Brother.

Thank you mate, good to be seen.[b]
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Thu Sep 29 2011, 05:28

cstmrsking wrote; do you think it will cause any unrest from the other players.
    It does not seem to have done at United with Rooney, but then again I expect all their first team regulars are on top wages. In our case, it could well do imo especially in the cases of Bale and VDV. Lets be honest, when a team is successful it is because all the players have contributed to the teams success, so would you be happy being a part of that team but earning 40 or 50 grand less than another player, I do not think I would be happy about it.

Post by Guest Thu Sep 29 2011, 09:12

Boltjean wrote:cstmrsking wrote; do you think it will cause any unrest from the other players.
    It does not seem to have done at United with Rooney, but then again I expect all their first team regulars are on top wages. In our case, it could well do imo especially in the cases of Bale and VDV. Lets be honest, when a team is successful it is because all the players have contributed to the teams success, so would you be happy being a part of that team but earning 40 or 50 grand less than another player, I do not think I would be happy about it.

Len if Modric pulls his weight and helps make the team acheive objectives then those on lower wages will celebrate the fact and rejoice to be part of it. If Modric produces displays that allow the likes of VDV & Bale to play at the top of their game then any discrepencey in wages will be immaterial. Hey every one loves a win bonus lol. If he leads by example and inspires others to do as well he will be worth every penny & others will share in the riches in the long term. After the histrionics of his pleas to move this may stick in the throats of some supporters who saw his actions as disloyal to Spurs but if he produces the form we all know he is capable of and chips in with a few more goals then usual and we push for 4th place & beyond then Levy will see it as a small price to pay, hopefully regard it as an opportuinity to reward other integral players with-in the squad and mean that we the fans can look forward to some glory years again . . . . . .

(I do still find the wages that players are paid obscene though)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 13:00