The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
There is something deeply satisfying ........... EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

There is something deeply satisfying ........... Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

There is something deeply satisfying ...........

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

There is something deeply satisfying ........... Empty There is something deeply satisfying ...........

Post by anicoll5 Tue Oct 04 2011, 20:20

In reading the headline "British pub landlady wins Court battle against BSkyB and Premier League"

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

There is something deeply satisfying ........... Empty Re: There is something deeply satisfying ...........

Post by LOBO Tue Oct 04 2011, 22:17

I was reading about this story yesterday i was thinking the same thing who the hell do BskyB think they are , freedom of choice is a right in this country and thankfully common sense & fair play won the day.

There is something deeply satisfying ........... Empty Re: There is something deeply satisfying ...........

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05 2011, 05:20

She's not won the case outright Nic. Private dwellings may benefit but public houses may fall foul of certain copyright issues's. I hope not because my local beams in Sky Italia. They don't show every game but a large percentage . . . . .

However, whereas the decision opens up opportunities for individuals to watch overseas broadcasts at home, it remains unclear whether in future games can be shown in pubs using foreign decoders and broadcasts, as the ruling also threw up a number of copyright issues.

But the Premier League's said the ECJ's answers to the High Court's questions were "complex".

"We are pleased that the judgment makes it clear that the screening in a pub of football-match broadcasts containing protected works requires the Premier League's authorisation," the league said.

The judges said the Premier League could not claim copyright over Premier League matches as they could not considered to be an author's own "intellectual creation" and, therefore, to be "works" for the purposes of EU copyright law.
    However, the ECJ did add that while live matches were not protected by copyright, any surrounding media, such as any opening video sequence, the Premier League anthem, pre-recorded films showing highlights of recent Premier League matches and various graphics, were "works" protected by copyright.

To use any of these extra parts associated of a broadcast, a pub would need the permission of the Premier League.

"On the face of it, it looks like a blow for the Premier League and... broadcasters Sky and ESPN," said BBC sport editor David Bond.

But he said the Premier League had faced many regulatory challenges in the past and would find ways to get round the new situation.

"The League insists the ruling is not clear cut, pointing to a part of the judgment which appears to offer them copyright protection and requiring pubs to seek their permission if they wish to use foreign decoders," added our correspondent.

"It is a confused picture and it is now up to the High Court to try and interpret the judgment. Whatever happens the league is confident it is not about to suffer a major loss in TV income."

Sky said it was considering the implications of the decision for how rights are sold across Europe in the future.

The Premier League has already taken action against two suppliers of foreign satellite equipment and a group of pub landlords who used imported decoding equipment to show English Premier League games and avoided the commercial premises subscription fees for Sky.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Oct 05 2011, 06:21

My god whatever happened to competition? Isn't that the Capitalist watchword? Only when it works in their favour it seems.
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Wed Oct 05 2011, 08:05

I saw that too Vis but what struck me is if thePL has sold the rights, including the rights to the opening sequences and graphics etc, to a foreign broadcaster - which they have in order that it can even be legitimately broadcast - they then cannot copyright infringement against the customer of that service

Post by Guest Wed Oct 05 2011, 08:12

so sky sell the rights abroad to make more money and now somone found a loophole and sky dont like it

its rubbish to think people dont go to games as they can watch in there local
    people dont go to games because the prices are to high

my local team braintree, the cheap seat is £15 i would rather pay double to see my own team.
    surley if all clubs that dont sell out sold cheaper seats then they would fill the place up.

before i moved away i was watchin every spurs game in my local and they still show them now since 2005

also the town i live in now had a pub that only had sky and they used to be so busy last season but i spoke to the manager a few weeks ago and they had to stop sky because there prices went up again really high because they new her place was busy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 07:17