The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
NEED YOUR HELP EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
NEED YOUR HELP EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
NEED YOUR HELP EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
NEED YOUR HELP EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
NEED YOUR HELP EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
NEED YOUR HELP EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
NEED YOUR HELP EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
NEED YOUR HELP EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
NEED YOUR HELP EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

NEED YOUR HELP Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+2
BazSpur
Boltjean
6 posters

NEED YOUR HELP

Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

NEED YOUR HELP Empty NEED YOUR HELP

Post by Boltjean Mon Jun 11 2012, 05:31

I have posted a message in general chat as I need your help.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

NEED YOUR HELP Empty Re: NEED YOUR HELP

Post by BazSpur Mon Jun 11 2012, 05:40

There is nothing in General chat Len. You can post it here if you want and we can move it later. more people will see it here.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

NEED YOUR HELP Empty Computer Problems

Post by Boltjean Mon Jun 11 2012, 05:56

Is there anyone who could please help me with their advice. I am having a problem where the download speed fluctuate's. When I have done a download speed check, it sometimes shows 1.49, maybe a fraction higher at times, but then it drops during the day to between 0.03 to 0.50. This leads to the computer being very slow, and not being able to view You Tube videos etc. They keep stopping every 2 or 3 seconds. We are with TalkTalk and have rung them now approx 6 times. Each time they say they have reset our line, and for half hour or so we can play videos, but then the speed drops and we are unable to play them pluss to try to get onto a web site takes ages. We bought a new phone as I thought this might be the reason, but it has made no difference. We have a TalkTalk wireless router, could this be the problem, although TalkTalk say they can not find a problem with it. Our Broadband is free, and they said if we pay £10 pound a month it would increase the speed as it is fibre optic, not sure whether they are trying to pull a fast one. I would like to know is there a download that I could do that would help increase the speed, or could I purchase a new router or would it not work with the TalkTalk internet provider. Thank You, Len.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Jun 11 2012, 06:31

Hiya Len . Broadband speed is dependent on many variables. Are you urban or rural? How close are you to the exchange? How many others in your house/street/area are using the same cables/provider/exchange? How modern is your router? Your PC & it's operating system, add-on's, clean up regieme etc? Wireless or ethernet cable? I am BT, rural, live close to the exchange (a few hundred yards as the crow flies), run regular virus scans & other housekeeping stuff yet still my speed varies day by day & I pay for the pleasure lol. I will try to investigate your issues further but make no promises I can find an answer. If it's free my friend I would hang on in there and see if you can find a way around this. I was once tiscali/talk talk and had so many problems I got rid of them but it was a helluva problem getting the mack code from them and making the change . . . ..
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Jun 11 2012, 06:33

Moved & merged. Once help is found will move back to General Chat. Thanx . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Jun 11 2012, 06:49

First off Len What Browser do you use? i.e Internet Explorer or some other such as Firefox. A browser is what actually gets you onto the net. Secondly if you haven't done so download CCleaner. It can speed up your computer after you run it. you can find it Here. Download the free file Len, it is still very good. If you do a full clean up(reccomended) you will have to re-type and save any passwords you use but that is no problem if you know what they are.Also with CCleaner you can do a registry scan and fix any issues that may need addressing there.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Mon Jun 11 2012, 07:21

Try a couple of the following links Len and then get back to us my friend . . . . . .

http://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/speed-checker/

http://help.talktalk.co.uk/app/answers/detail/a_id/1406/~/improving-your-broadband-speed

http://www.tiscaliuser.net/
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Mon Jun 11 2012, 08:10

Firstly, i would get rid of Talk Talk and try to move to another ISP (internet service provider). If your contract with talk talk has expired, talk to another ISP, i would highly recommend O2, they are excellent, i've been with them for a long time.

Talk Talks speed will drop during peak times, its called Fair useage policy (FUP), thats why your internet slows down. Get rid of them asap mate.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 08:46

im on bt and they are ok but in peak times the net is slow
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Mon Jun 11 2012, 09:22

Anybody with AOL still?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 10:24

i left aol in 2006.
    there was a time when aol was the best. it had everything

you could send free txts from aol
    had so many chat rooms
    had the best football forums.
    then one by one they took everything away.
    its a shame.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 11 2012, 10:59

anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Mon Jun 11 2012, 20:26

Baz is right about cleaning up your machine and picking good browser Len - I use Chrome which is very basic but does everything you need it to

As for an ISP I am on BT and it is reasonable but slows down in peak demand time - you get the option if you move to BT of a visit from an engineer to set your system up - costs a few £ but what price an efficient system ?

I think whatever you do though is going to involve spending a few quid so if you are on a "free" broadband you might hesitate !!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Jun 11 2012, 21:56

I use Chrome or firefox. Depending what mood I am in lol. Firefox is a lot faster than Internet Explorer, as is Google Chrome.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Tue Jun 12 2012, 05:15

Thank you all for your advice. When I can get my head together I will try a few of your ideas. At the moment I am feeling very low. Just to let you know Baz I use Internet Explorer, we have just renewed our TalkTalk contract about five weeks ago as we were very pleased with the service, and since then we have had nothing but trouble, about right. I can not understand how all of a sudden we are getting problems. Anyway as I said I will give your ideas a try later. Thank you Baz. By the way Vis, I am more rural than urban, I do not know where the exchange is, the router is a few years old now, PC about 18 months, and I am wireless. What do you mean by add-ons, and clean up regieme?.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Jun 12 2012, 05:55

Internet explorer is slow Len so it would help to change to firefox or Google chrome. What windows version are you running i.e Windows 2000, XP, Vista etc?

Post by Guest Tue Jun 12 2012, 09:58

yep internet explorer is really slow
    im using a friends pc which has chrome but i think firefox is better

but chrome and firefox def the best 2
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Thu Jun 14 2012, 04:40

Anymore help for Len on this guys ? Will move to Computer section if no answers over the next couple days.

Thanx Peeps NEED YOUR HELP 318170. . . . . . . ..
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Fri Jun 15 2012, 05:52

I am using windows 7 Baz.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Jun 15 2012, 06:20

Len give us more info on your operating system mate . . . . .
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Jun 15 2012, 22:34

Start by downloading Google Chrome and running that mate. It is a lot faster than Internet Explorer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 13:46