The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Milija Alexsic EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Milija Alexsic EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Milija Alexsic EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Milija Alexsic EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Milija Alexsic EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Milija Alexsic EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Milija Alexsic EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Milija Alexsic EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Milija Alexsic EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Milija Alexsic Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Milija Alexsic

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Milija Alexsic Empty Milija Alexsic

Post by BazSpur Fri Oct 19 2012, 05:29

Passed away. Sad day. 61 years old. Good keeper for us I thought. RIP.

Milija Alexsic Empty Re: Milija Alexsic

Post by Guest Fri Oct 19 2012, 05:45

i remember him. thats sad news. rip
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Oct 19 2012, 05:56

Terrible shame. Condolences to his family & friends . . .
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Fri Oct 19 2012, 06:54

I remember him. His name popped into my head a while back. Thought he was great. If i remember correct he stopped playing for us after an injury? Anyone? then he went to South Africa.

RIP.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Fri Oct 19 2012, 07:06

https://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs/News/obit-milija-aleksic-18102012.page
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 19 2012, 07:22

Very sad to hear that Milija Aleksic has passed away.

RIP.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 19 2012, 07:29

cstmrsking wrote:I remember him. His name popped into my head a while back. Thought he was great. If i remember correct he stopped playing for us after an injury? Anyone? then he went to South Africa.

RIP.

I just been catching up on the sad news , Kingy. I read that he were replaced by the great Ray Clemence and yet no other English club came in for him. After us it were a brief loan spell back at Luton and then non league football with Barnet before he went to a South African club.
    I thought he were quite a good goalie.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Fri Oct 19 2012, 07:43

Cheers Arnie.
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Oct 19 2012, 07:50

From Wikipedia . . . .

Milija Anthony Aleksic (14 April 1951 – 18 October 2012) was an English football goalkeeper who made 138 league appearances in the Football League.[2]

Released by Port Vale in 1969, he played for Eastwood before lifting the FA Trophy with Stafford Rangers in 1972. The next year he returned to the Football League with Plymouth Argyle, before he was signed by Luton Town in December 1976, following loan spells with Oxford United and Ipswich Town. Three years later he moved on to Tottenham Hotspur, and played in the club's FA Cup victory in 1981. In 1982 he was loaned back to Luton Town, before he went back into non-league football with Barnet. He later migrated to South Africa and played for Wits University.
    Playing career

A goalkeeper born to a Yugoslav father, his career started with Gordon Lee's Port Vale.[1] He played two FA Cup games for the "Valiants" as a 17 year old in the 1968–69 season, both First Round games with Shrewsbury Town in which he conceding one goal in both the original game and the replay at Vale Park.[1] An emergency replacement for the injured Stuart Sharrat, he was so keen that he used to iron his bootlaces before playing.[1] He was given a free transfer in May 1969 and moved into non-league football with Eastwood, and then Stafford Rangers.[1] With Rangers he was a member of the 1972 FA Trophy winning team, following a 3–0 win over Barnet at Wembley Stadium.[3]

In 1973 he returned to the Football League, signing for Tony Waiters's Plymouth Argyle. The "Pilgrims" posted a 17th place finish in the Third Division in 1973–74, before winning promotion with a second place finish in 1974–75 (they finished one point behind champions Blackburn Rovers). They then held their own in the Second Division, finishing in 16th place in 1975–76. In August 1976, he played two games on loan at Oxford United; both games were League Cup clashes with Cambridge United.[4] He was then loaned out to Ipswich Town.[3] Aleksic left Home Park permanently when he was moved on to league rivals Luton Town in December 1976, who were managed by Harry Haslam. The "Hatters" finished sixth in 1976–77, four points behind promoted Nottingham Forest. Luton then dropped to 13th in 1977–78 under new boss David Pleat, and then finished 18th in 1978–79. He played 77 league games in his three years at Kenilworth Road.

Aleksic was signed by First Division side Tottenham Hotspur in December 1978 for a fee of £100,000.[5] The club posted a 14th place finish in the 1979–80 season under the stewardship of Keith Burkinshaw. He faced competition between the sticks from Barry Daines and Mark Kendall.[6] In one tie against Manchester United, notorious 'hard man' Joe Jordan broke his jaw in what was officially described as an 'accidental collision'.[6] The injury left midfielder Glenn Hoddle to take Aleksic's place in goal for the rest of the match.[7] The White Hart Lane club made a top ten finish in 1980–81, and also lifted the FA Cup with a 3–2 victory over Manchester City at Wembley. Aleksic featured in both the original tie and the replay, which was won with a brace from Ricardo Villa and a scruffy goal from Garth Crooks.[8] However he soon lost his first team place to Ray Clemence.[6] "Spurs" went on to finish fourth in 1981–82, but despite being an FA Cup winning goalkeeper just one year previously, he dropped back into non-League football with Barry Fry's Alliance Premier League side Barnet in 1982, following a brief loan spell at former club Luton Town. He later migrated to South Africa, and played for Wits University, before taking up employment at the Golfer's Club in Johannesburg.[7]

He died on 18 October 2012, aged 61.
    Honours

with Stafford Rangers

FA Trophy winner: 1972

with Plymouth Argyle

Football League Third Division runner-up: 1974–75

with Tottenham Hotspur

FA Cup winner: 1981
    vis
    vis

Post by vis Fri Oct 19 2012, 07:58

Milija Alexsic Th?id=I.4785947237482875&pid=15
    Milija Alexsic Th?id=H.5045492079330829&pid=15
    Milija Alexsic Th?id=I.5003951140702036&pid=15
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Fri Oct 19 2012, 08:14

Your welcome Kingy ...

Back then I were going to most of the games home and away till around 1985 when I became self-employed. I recall coming away from many a game downhearted with either Barry Daines and the late Mark Kendall in goal prior to elastic's signing. He quickly became popular because Keith Burkinshaw had at last got a decent goalkeeper for us.

I also remember missing that cup replay at Old Trafford and on hearing that there were to be highlights on Sportsnight, deciding to avoid the result. I were in shock to see him go off with a broken jaw, thanks to Joe Jordan. Hoddle went in goal and the team just became obsessed from that moment in to defend our goal. United couldn't get any decent efforts in and their best moments in the game were when Elastic was on the pitch !

Ossie popped up with the winner on 118 minutes and if I remember correctly the players then spoke about doing it for Aleksic.
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Fri Oct 19 2012, 22:03

Sad news RIP. Remember another game when he was injured, Norwich I think, when he fell on one of the goal net hooks and ripped his thigh open. Needless to say Hoddle went in goal again.

Post by Guest Sat Oct 20 2012, 00:41

and didnt we win again. im sure we never lost when hoddle went in goal.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 22:24