The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
missing pens EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
missing pens EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
missing pens EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
missing pens EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
missing pens EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
missing pens EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
missing pens EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
missing pens EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
missing pens EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

missing pens Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

missing pens

missing pens Empty missing pens

Post by Guest Tue Feb 16 2010, 04:43

After watching Spurs miss another penalty yesterday, it got me thinking. Why do some managers consistently come out saying, there is no point in practicing because they cannot replicate the pressure in training?

I remember Eric Cantona when he first joined Man Utd. He said he would often ask for a goal keeper plus two outfield players (he didn’t care who, youth team, reserves, anybody) to join him for some extra shooting and penalty practice after training.

Cantona was surprised because some of the younger English players found this strange. They would say ‘EC was so good at penalties in training, why did he need extra practice?’

Cantona’s response was:

‘It’s because I have extra practice, that I am so good’ - So simple, but so true.

This is a quote taken from Harry Redknapp after Defoe missed against Everton (see link for proof).

Redknapp, was not an advocate of extra penalty practice. "Nothing can replicate what you do in a real game," he said. "It's not the same. It's the pressure. It's like going out on the putting green and putting all day. When it means something it ain't quite the same."

www.independent.co.uk/sport/...

I agree with Harry that you cannot replicate the pressure. But practice is EVERYTHING, and extra practice is critical.

You can’t replicate the pressure of a one on one in training, but you still practice, and if you’re not so good, you have extra practice. Even if you are really good, you STILL have extra practice.

Martin Keown once said Arsenal legend Dennis Bergkamp would often stay for hours after training. Keown recalled watching DB when he first arrived practising his volleying with the younger players. Cross, goal, cross, goal time after time, you could say it really didn’t look like he needed much practicing.

In training there was no pressure, it was easy for him, so why did he bother?

The next game DB scores his first goal for Arsenal with a brilliant volley against Southampton.

This is one of the reasons I get so fed up, particularly with English Managers claiming practising penalties is pointless because you cannot replicate the pressure. To often I have heard Bobby Bobson (RIP), Terry Venebles, Glen Hoddle saying the same thing.

We lost on Penalties in each of their respective campaigns. Twice to the Germans, who, and you guessed it, are known for their extra penalty practicing!!

Coincidence?

Bottle come into it sure, but practice is critical

I don’t know how to post on multiple boards, game yesterday inspired me to write this so not a dig at spurs.

Current date/time is Thu May 09 2024, 12:44