The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Doherty vs Messi EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Doherty vs Messi EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Doherty vs Messi EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Doherty vs Messi EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Doherty vs Messi EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Doherty vs Messi EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Doherty vs Messi EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Doherty vs Messi EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Doherty vs Messi EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Doherty vs Messi Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Doherty vs Messi

Doherty vs Messi Empty Doherty vs Messi

Post by Guest Wed Feb 17 2010, 09:06

hi i found this and i thought mite be good to have sumthing funny to read.
    Doherty vs Messi
    If you've seen the "Arshavin vs Messi" article (for those who haven't, www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A63339... ), then I'm sure you're left wondering the same thing as I am...

How does Gary Doherty, aka the Ginger Pele, rate against Messi?

Mentality
    Messi is always running around at great speed. Is he trying to run away from the opposition, or himself? Doherty, on the other hand, plays the game at a much lower pace. They often say that the best players appear to have more time on the ball. Well, even with the ball at his feet in his own box, and with two opposition players bearing down on him, he never looked in a rush to clear it. Indeed, he'd often calmly pass it sideways to Dean Richards, and then saunter into position for the corner or the kick-off.

Result: the more placid Doherty.

Defending
    To be fair, Messi may not be expected to do much defensively. Although he may not have a Rooney-like drive to win the ball back, he does try to help his teammates. Doherty has largely been played as a central defender, so defending should be his forte.

Result: Messi by a whisker.

Passing
    It is true that Messi is a pretty nifty passer of the ball. He works hard at it in training, and his ability to find teammates has been highly commended. Doherty has spent more time refining other aspects of his game.

Result: Messi is the better passer of the football, following lots of practice.

First Touch
    Messi was lucky enough to be born with an excellent touch. Doherty was not so lucky.

Result: Messi, purely by chance.

Vision
    Doherty has excellent vision. When the fourth official holds up the board to announce a substitution, he instantly recognises his number on the board, no matter where he is on the pitch. Messi seems to be squinting in a lot of photos I've seen of him. I'm not sure if his eyesight is up to much.

Result: easy to see it's Doherty.

Shooting
    Messi has scored 103 goals in 192 games for Barca. Doherty has scored six goals this season for Norwich, despite playing in defence.

Result: Messi can probably be said to have a better scoring record, but comparison is difficult.

Heading
    Messi is 5'7". Doherty is 6'2". Who do you think is most likely to win a header?!

Result: Doherty by a length.

Impact
    Argentina struggled to qualify for the World Cup, despite Messi being a regular starter. In fact, they've won nothing since he has played for the full national side. Doherty was part of the Ireland team that qualified for the 2002 World Cup, only the third in their history, but last appeared for Ireland in the 2005/6 season. They didn't qualify for the 2010 World Cup. Coincidence?

Result: Doherty has had more of an impact on the international stage.

OVERALL
    I make that a 4-4 draw. Clearly, this is a debate that will run and run.

(Just a bit of Monday fun)
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Doherty vs Messi Empty Re: Doherty vs Messi

Post by SuneJim Thu Feb 18 2010, 06:34

I do like that Lought well found lol.

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 21:21