The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Lets get a semi for the cup EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Lets get a semi for the cup Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

Lets get a semi for the cup

Lets get a semi for the cup Empty Lets get a semi for the cup

Post by Guest Wed Apr 07 2010, 23:55

Found this on pushandrun.com
    2010-04-07 09:59:30

Forget the weekend, lets get a semi on for the cup

by Alan the librarian

I know what you're thinking, bit early for a preview isn't it? I know. But looking at the others forums I think we need to move on from the Sunderland game.

Anyways here it is.

Tottenham vs. Portsmouth

For a cup semi-final, the lead up to this game has left me unusually flat. Yes, I am one of those fans who appreciate the merits of 'winning' 4th place ahead of a cup but I don't think that is the reason behind my lack of enthusiasm here. Nor the fact that I dislike the notion of a cup semi-final being staged at the same venue as the final.

I think it's because of the opposition. With all due respect (thus allowing me to now disrespect them) Portsmouth, in their current plight, are 'more than a football club'. Unlike Barcelona, they carry this motto in the complete negative sense. Perhaps 'anything but ' is more apporpiate. After all, they are a club so deep in financial ruin and off-field turmoil, they gave up the ghost of league football long ago. Therefore, defeating them doesn't seem fair and all that exciting. There's no sport in beating someone whilst their down. The biggest example of which was the league fixture between these two sides back in March. After they failed to fill their allocation of players on the sub bench, everyone at the ground then endured a footballing car crash unfold in front of them, where pompey systematically lost player after player to serious injury. Not that those who lasted were present in anything but body anyway.

Therefore, perhaps the biggest threat to Tottenham's progress to the cup final is themselves. When the opposition are so poor and in such disarray, the tendency is to take them lightly. It's human nature. Cup football is marketed on this, now rare, occurance.

Spurs players should look at physioroom.com to truly appreciate just how much this game means to Portsmouth. Pompey have a host of players miraculously returning from a variety of injuries for this showpiece event. Indeed, striker Aruna Dindane, who contractually cannot play another two more games without Pompey paying his parent club Lens 4m, has been saved for this very moment. This is, literally, his season. Like his returning teammates, he will be rusty but determined. Given any encouragement, he could run on hope alone and make this into an embarrassing afternoon for us and a delightful one for Jamie 'spurs fan' O'Hara.

Spurs themselves have some players coming back from injury. Most notably, reports suggest Aaron Lennon may make the bench (no, not literally). If he does come on, I will cheer that as loudly as lifting the cup itself. He was in blistering form prior to his injury. One of his last acts was to jink past West Ham's left-back in setting up Luka Modric for the opening goal at WHL (Luka himself starting his first game in 4 months). That was December 28th. In that time, Bale has somewhat compensated for the lack of pace and trickery on the wings. Although, the thought of Lennon on the right AND Bale on the left must give opposition players as many sleepless nights as it gives me sweet dreams.

Huddlestone could also feature as well as Dawson. Both were badly missed in the 3-1 defeat to Sunderland. Ledley may also have recovered from a calf problem but it would be cruel to deny Bassong his place in the side after an encouraging first season at the club. Palacios (on 9 yellows) will probably be saved for 'cup finals' to come in both league and (hopefully) cup. Defoe and Bentley still have niggling hamstring and groin injuries respectively and with Wembley's poor pitch, Harry may be tempted to leave them on the sidelines.

This game will feel to a lot of spurs players like having to fight someone much weaker than them. Win and no glory will credited for merely doing what was expected whereas the backlash of losing doesn't bear thinking about (focus on the latter for motivation). Tottenham are the bullies. The bad guys the sporting world will be hoping to come unstuck for the good of their much troubled opponents. Well they can kiss our ass. Come on Tottenham!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Lets get a semi for the cup Empty Re: Lets get a semi for the cup

Post by BazSpur Thu Apr 08 2010, 00:44

Great post Max. Have a rep point.

Current date/time is Fri May 17 2024, 14:28