The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
worst result EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
worst result EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
worst result EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
worst result EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
worst result EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
worst result EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
worst result EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
worst result EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
worst result EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

worst result Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

worst result

worst result Empty worst result

Post by Guest Tue Apr 13 2010, 11:47

found this
    In 45 years of supporting Spurs, that is the worst result ever in that period, for me. Not the worst performance, but certainly the worst result. Against the bottom side, relegated, in administration, nine points deducted, complete shambles, unpaid bills (repeatedly), sold their best players, broke, owned by whom (?), their best player (O'Hara) on loan to them and ineligible to play, and it should have been one result only. The best chance, ever, of getting to the FA Cup Final. Indeed no pundit I heard gave Pompey a rats chance in hell, and rightly so. There should have been one winner only. I punched the air when we got the draw against them, avoiding Villa and Chelski. Even Tottenham couldn't f@ck that up......surely?

So what the hell happened? It was never going to be a turkey shoot, contrary to some ridiculous views before the game. It should, though, have only had one winner, and that ain't Pompey!

Theres a lot of reasoning, excuses, analysis and argument going on about our 'match' at Wembley yesterday. The pitch was the same for both, in both games, yet it is Spurs who seem to have been 'affected' most of the four teams in the semis. I don't buy that one at all. Dawsons slip was untimely and unfortunate; the Hand of the Gods I guess. We should be used to getting the sh*tty end of the stick. Perdro Mendes from the half way line; the Gomes 'penalty' at O/T last season, the Tarricco 'penalty' yards outside the box, at O/T years ago. The notion that there is an evening-out process is nonsense. I came to that conclusion years ago. There isn't. Some teams get the lions share of the key decisions, and I think we all know what direction I'm aiming at there, and theres 4 of them.

Portsmouth's game plan of defend stoutly and hit on the break was entirely predictable. Stats after 20 minutes: Tottenham possesion 68%! Their packed defence was a tactic used before by the likes of Hull and Stoke, so we have no excuses. Its the only realistic one they could use. No other option. We have no excuses there at all. Our tactics? We were far too slow. Team selection? I thought Huddlestone was very poor. Gudjohnnson should have started. Bale MOM? He looked a yard slower than normal. Bentley; did he put in a single decent cross? Krankjaer should have come on earlier, or started. I thought the Defoe and Crouch partnership was wrong. Defoe had a stinker, but did he get the service? I do not rate Crouch, never have and don't know why we bought him back. His contribution is limited at best, and he pins down a berth on the pitch. I think we should have bought Roque Santa Cruz, who would have been a far more complimentary striker to the others. Modric was busy without being too effective and Palacios had a decent game.

Its very simple to me why we are not in the final; we were robbed by shocking refereeing. A Tottenham firing on only 4 cylinders should still have been enough to see off that lot. What you cannot legislate for is an absolute shocker of a refereeing performance (or was it more sinister?). From the very off, Wiley gave every little decision to Portsmouth whilst gave us very little. He was Portsmouth's 12th man. This went on all game, and it choked Tottenham. This got worse with key decisions. The blatent handball with no penalty or action against the player. In 90 mins. The foul leading to the goal. Never a foul! Our 'equaliser'. How was that disallowed??!! It was outrageous. There was nothing wrong with it, apart from a possible penalty against James. An utter outrage, and we would have gone on to win from that, had it been given. I have no doubt. The psychological balance would have been shifted to Tottenham. The penalty decision was another outrage. Palacios got the ball. End of. Now we lose him against Chelsea and the Filth? Thats knackered us for the league too, then.

I wonder if the decisions would have been the same had Portsmouth been playing Chelsea? Or Man U? Or the Bindippers? Or the Filth? I think I know the answers. It is time for video technology. In fact there is no real argument against it.
    We lost yesterday because of a string of reasons, the biggest by far being an inept, crap, biased and at worst, bent refereeing performance. If there is an evening-out process, will we get some really contentious decisions in our favour against Chelsea, The Filth and the Mancs in the next three games. I somehow think not.
    I'm sick of being undone by referees. There is currently far too much scope for a ref. to stamp his 'mark' on a game, and get away with it, and yesterday was a classic example. Remember Defoes 'equaliser' at Liverpool this season? Perfectly OK goal, yet disallowed. No reason given. We would most likely have won the game, had that been given. Away at Chelsea this season. Losing 1-0 and there should have been a pen to us, as we built momentum. Carvallo IIRC. No pen. No sending off. It snuffs out our momentume and they they then win by more.
    There are more. It seems to me that we have been/are more than capable of screwing it up ourselves (losing home and away to Wolves; losing at home to Stoke; drawing at home to Hull) without crap referees adding to it, and yesterday, Wiley had an utter stinker.
    What I cannot understand is why 'Arry didn't kick up far more of a stink about the ref, especially the disallowed goal, after the game. He couldn't gripe with the pitch condition because Pompey didn't seem to be too adversely affected by it. Was he mindful of a poor performance, as well as poor team selection, and losing more than he would gain by kicking up a stink?
    If it had been SAF or Wenger, they would have blown a gasket over the disallowed goal. Meanwhile, Wiley escapes scot-free.

Current date/time is Mon May 20 2024, 02:41