The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Heres one to snooker you ! EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Heres one to snooker you ! Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+6
BazSpur
ArnieArdiles
shearspur
totalytot
tressman1
ionman34
10 posters

Heres one to snooker you !

Heres one to snooker you ! Empty Heres one to snooker you !

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21 2010, 22:01

Mourinho (yes the special one ) makes a hint he would love to manage spurs ( this is make believe ) it isnt in the paper gossip remember, harry has just steered spurs into the Champions league for the first time ever, mourinho has been seen talking to levy so rumour is rife, would you prefer to keep harry on or should we sign the special one ?
    Just a little stinker of a question for a bright and sunny morning .
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Heres one to snooker you ! Empty Re: Heres one to snooker you !

Post by ionman34 Wed Apr 21 2010, 22:11

[quote="lewspurs"]Mourinho (yes the special one ) makes a hint he would love to manage spurs ( this is make believe ) it isnt in the paper gossip remember, harry has just steered spurs into the Champions league for the first time ever, mourinho has been seen talking to levy so rumour is rife, would you prefer to keep harry on or should we sign the special one ?

Jesus Lew that's just downright nasty. Heres one to snooker you ! Lol

I watched the CL game between Inter and Barca and saw Mourinho mastermind the dismantling of arguably the best football team in the World. They didn't defend for their lives, they took the game to Barca and effectively outclassed them.

Now it's no secret that I like Harry but Jose is up there with the absolute best in the business. As Jim often states, 'there is no room in Football for sentiment' so, although I'd feel pretty bad about it, I'd take Mourinho as I think he'd take us where we want to be for definite and keep us there.

Hopefully he wouldn't break the bank whilst doing it though hey?

Other than the money, the only real concern I'd have is the extent of his tenure. If Real, Barca et al came sniffing I'm not sure we'd hang onto him for long.
    tressman1
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by tressman1 Wed Apr 21 2010, 22:21

Lew, I have not real issue with Arry, apart from the Pav thing!!!! please nobody dig that up again!!!! but swap the special one for arry.
    arry who has we hope got us into the CL for the first time , dump him, after his glory, of getting us to the CL.
    YOU BET, EVERY TIME !!!!!!!!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21 2010, 22:21

[quote="ionman34"]
    lewspurs wrote:Mourinho (yes the special one ) makes a hint he would love to manage spurs ( this is make believe ) it isnt in the paper gossip remember, harry has just steered spurs into the Champions league for the first time ever, mourinho has been seen talking to levy so rumour is rife, would you prefer to keep harry on or should we sign the special one ?

Jesus Lew that's just downright nasty. Heres one to snooker you ! Lol

I watched the CL game between Inter and Barca and saw Mourinho mastermind the dismantling of arguably the best football team in the World. They didn't defend for their lives, they took the game to Barca and effectively outclassed them.

Now it's no secret that I like Harry but Jose is up there with the absolute best in the business. As Jim often states, 'there is no room in Football for sentiment' so, although I'd feel pretty bad about it, I'd take Mourinho as I think he'd take us where we want to be for definite and keep us there.

Hopefully he wouldn't break the bank whilst doing it though hey?

Other than the money, the only real concern I'd have is the extent of his tenure. If Real, Barca et al came sniffing I'm not sure we'd hang onto him for long.

I know its a hard one ion ! i actually like harry, when he left the hammers all those years ago i was hoping we would get him at spurs, eight or so years later it finally happens and i think he will do something big with us as these obviously are his last years in management at his time of life.

I am going to chicken out of my own question here, but i think harry should be given the year in the champions league as he got us there in the first place, but i suppose in that time jose would have gone elsewhere and wouldnt wait on us for a year....for an answer...............oh well ! Heres one to snooker you ! Icon_smile

Post by Guest Wed Apr 21 2010, 22:35

bye bye harry. still not forgvien him last season for our uefa cup exit all because he took the carling cup final more inportant. we had the same thing the year before and played on the thurs night with a full team and the sunday and stil beat chelsea.
    i want a manager thats a winner and harry seems ok with settling for 2nd best. i want jose. imagine him losen he would be so annoyed the players would be scared to put in bad performance. likeberbatov said when he left spurs that theres games where spurs didnt care if they lost but at man u you have to win everygame
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Wed Apr 21 2010, 22:56

I did'nt know we had already qualified for the CL.
    Steady boys!!!!
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Wed Apr 21 2010, 23:15

not for me lads, you know what youve got with harry, hes done absoloutely fantastic at spurs in the relatively short time in charge. saved us from relegation, wembley visits, a team built that can actually beleive in itself. things are changing for the better now. i would keep the tried and trusted harry for me.
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Apr 21 2010, 23:19

totalytot wrote:I did'nt know we had already qualified for the CL.
    Steady boys!!!!

thats what I were thinking too lol
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Wed Apr 21 2010, 23:23

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Apr 21 2010, 23:25

shearspur wrote:not for me lads, you know what youve got with harry, hes done absoloutely fantastic at spurs in the relatively short time in charge. saved us from relegation, wembley visits, a team built that can actually beleive in itself. things are changing for the better now. i would keep the tried and trusted harry for me.

Nice one shearspur.......I feel Harry deserves another couple of seasons and thats all his looking for ...After that maybe ...
    We've qaulified for the CL as in the original post , Harry has taken us there where all others have failed and we do the dirty on him?...Not if I were chairman ....no way jose ...
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Apr 21 2010, 23:31

Stats
    Harry's win percentage at Spurs is 52.27%

Heres the win stats for the others before him..

Top 20 managers of the club's history
    Based on win % in all competitions
    Manager Years Played Won Win %
    1 Frank Brettell 1898–1899 63 37 58.73
    2 Arthur Turner 1942–1946 49 27 55.10
    3 Harry Redknapp 2008–Present 88 46 52.27
    4 John Cameron 1899–1907 570 296 51.93
    5 David Pleat 1 1986–1987 119 60 50.42
    6 Bill Nicholson 1958–1974 832 408 49.03
    7 Arthur Rowe 1949–1955 283 135 47.70
    8 Fred Kirkham 1907–1908 61 29 47.54
    9 Jimmy Anderson 2 1955–1958 161 75 46.58
    10 Percy Smith 1929–1935 253 109 46.38
    11 Doug Livermore
    Ray Clemence 1992–1993 51 23 45.09
    12 Martin Jol 3 2004–2007 150 67 44.67
    13 Peter Shreeves 1984–1986 & 1991–1992 177 79 44.63
    14 Jack Tresadern 1935–1938 146 65 44.52
    15 Peter McWilliam 1913–1927 & 1938–1942 750 331 44.13
    16 'The Directors' 1908–1913 231 99 42.86
    17 Joe Hulme 1946–1949 150 64 42.67
    18 Keith Burkinshaw 1976–1984 431 182 42.23
    19 Terry Venables 1987–1991 165 67 40.61
    20 Billy Minter 1927–1929 124 49 39.52

Dump on a manager whos currently our third best in history ?

Ive had issues with Harry's long ball to Crouch and one or two other misgivings but he deserves another couple of seasons and if he did take us there to the CL like in Lews hypothesis , I'd be gutted if Levy did the dirty on him ...
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Wed Apr 21 2010, 23:38

Two there really stood out for me Arnie, David Pleat and Venners.

I'd have given good money that Venners win ration was up there with the best and Pleats down where Venners is.

Having read your reply, and that of Shear, I find myself covered in shame for my disipicable treatment of Harry.

Bring on the scourge!!
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Wed Apr 21 2010, 23:50

Lol Ion ....I actualy were quite shocked to see your opening post on this thread ...If anything, I'd have thought you were gonna steam into Lew on Harry's behalf , to even dare suggest Jose replacing him Heres one to snooker you ! Lol

I think Venners had one good season league wise with us, the rest was pretty average and Pleaty was only with us the one season and he got us third ...Shame for Pleat what happend ...Might have gone on to better things had he stayed indoors with the missus...
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Thu Apr 22 2010, 00:02

[quote="ArnieArdiles"]Lol Ion ....I actualy were quite shocked to see your opening post on this thread ...If anything, I'd have thought you were gonna steam into Lew on Harry's behalf , to even dare suggest Jose replacing him Heres one to snooker you ! Lol
    It's this turning over a new leaf malarky Arnie. It's messing with my Mojo.

I think Venners had one good season league wise with us, the rest was pretty average and Pleaty was only with us the one season and he got us third ...Shame for Pleat what happend ...Might have gone on to better things had he stayed indoors with the missus...

Would have been better if he'd let her do the driving!!
    tressman1
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by tressman1 Thu Apr 22 2010, 00:11

OK OK look I would also give Arry ago too!!!!!stuff jose, and your stupid specialness, I'II stick by Arry
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Apr 22 2010, 00:41

Would have been better if he'd let her do
    the driving!!

PMSL the dirty little voyeur

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22 2010, 01:23

pleat was with us more then 1 season. he came back 3 times since then and saved us. pleat has always done a good job with us. didnt he leave us above the goons3/4 times he was with us

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22 2010, 02:18

very good post, imo i think you would be mad to pass on a opportunity of employing mourinho, i think hes the best coach in the world at the moment and hes a winner, last nights game backs this up. i have always posted in the past that your next appointment as manager will be a very important decision, not only because thats blatantly obvious but the fact whoever it is and when ever it is they will be taking over a spurs side that are on the up, im not sure many past managers have had that pleasure, harrys a top man and a top manager but can he mix it with the best in europe, im not sure, does he deserve his crack at it, im sure he does, but if this is at the expense of missing out on mourinho, i think that may be a decision that could be regretted for a long while. no room for sentiment is often mentioned on here and in this case it couldn imo be more advised. the other thing with mourinho is he wouldn pull the present team apart, he would only add to it, lol the likes of shneider and maicon at the lane, omg im off.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Thu Apr 22 2010, 02:24

[quote="burger777"]. no room for sentiment is often mentioned on here and in this case it couldn imo be more advised.

We don't sh*t on our managers though do we? Well, do we?

Last edited by BazSpur on Thu Apr 22 2010, 02:24; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Punctuation.)

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22 2010, 02:40

does anyone know what length of contract harry is on and when mourinhos is up at milan.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22 2010, 05:57

Mourhino has said he would like to leave Italian football as he does not enjoy. No way is he coming to Spurs. He is Citeh bound so as he has enough money to play his "special" brand of fantasy football. The guy is an egomaniac, headline hunting, self-publicising, big headed, casualty who belives his own publicity. OK he got it right against Barca last night but so did I. Thats the way to play 'em. I hope the lunatic ends up at Citeh because they deserve eachother. Keep 'arry then bring on someone like Clive Allen . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22 2010, 06:10

he has not had much money at inter. plus hes seen of chelsea. remember hes done more in 5years then harry done in 30

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22 2010, 06:29

My God. Mourihino ? Since when where Chelsea, in his tenure, known as the greatest, silkiest football team on the planet ? NEVER ! ! ! They where dour and ground out results. Not what I want at Tottenham. You can keep ya glory guys. If I want to win that way I will go and support another team, do you really want sucsess at the cost of style & substance. Mourihino's teams remind me of arsenil in the late 80's/early 90's ! Play Barca and win ? Defend your half of the pitch in depth, with numbers and catch 'em on the break with flat balls played between the centre & full backs and make them turn. All this hype about the "special one" is so much bullshit. He builds a mechanical, working unit that bores it's way to sucsess. DULLSVILLE, ARIZONA dude. I'd rather watch the grass grow at Wembley. Lovely original post from Lew to through a bit of debate onto the board but to see people slavishly falling at the feet of Jose' is very surprising indeed . . . . .

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22 2010, 06:40

his football aint that bad vis, with the likes of pandev,sneider,etoo and a few more it aint going to be, i didn watch last night game but it would of been mourinhos influence,team selection and tactics that got them the result, u dont play barca or even try to play barca like we did, mourinho knew this and adapted to it, like him loathe him hes a winner, hes a character and he demands the very best, any club is in good hand with him at the helm.

Post by Guest Thu Apr 22 2010, 06:51

isnt that what we did at arsneal and chelsea. soak up the pressure and hit on the break. id love jose and hes winning mentalatiy at spurs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content