The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Martin Chivers. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Martin Chivers. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Martin Chivers. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Martin Chivers. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Martin Chivers. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Martin Chivers. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Martin Chivers. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Martin Chivers. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Martin Chivers. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Martin Chivers. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

Martin Chivers.

BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Martin Chivers. Empty Martin Chivers.

Post by BazSpur Sun May 03 2009, 17:45

Martin Chivers came through Southampton's youth system and signed as a professional footballer in September 1962, at the age of 17. He played an integral role in the club's promotion to the top flight in 1967, starring up front alongside the great Welsh striker Ron Davies.
    After scoring 97 league goals in only five seasons, Tottenham Hotspur manager Bill Nicholson signed Chivers for a club record fee of £125,000, with 24-year-old Frank Saul moving from White Hart Lane to the Hampshire coast.

Martin Chivers. 364645a4ce6c8f82c
    He scored on his Spurs debut against Sheffield Wednesday in January 1968 but the initial stages of his White Hart Lane career were relatively unsuccessful with Spurs legends Jimmy Greaves and Alan Gilzean still considered to be the preferred attacking partnership. Chivers remained a fixture of the England Under-23 squad and eventually became the most important goalscorer at Tottenham, following the sale of Greaves to West Ham United in 1970.
    Chivers was often seen as a lethargic and lazy player but his pace and natural strength established 'Big Chiv' as a star of the Spurs side and England throughout the early 1970s. During this period of his career, he helped Spurs to League Cup triumphs in 1971 and 1973 and UEFA Cup success in 1972, as well as a runners up medal in the same European competition in 1974. He famously scored both goals in the first League Cup victory against Aston Villa in February 1971 and a thirty-yard wonder goal against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the club's memorable UEFA Cup campaign.

Chivers was also a regular goalscorer in the First Division, tallying 92 league goals between 1969 and 1974.
    In his eight and a half year Spurs career, Chivers scored a total of 174 goals in 367 first-team appearances and remains the leading Tottenham goalscorer in European competition to this day. He was capped 24 times for the England, scoring 13 goals.
    Martin Chivers. 364645a4ce6c8c567

First Division: 278 matches, 118 goals
    FA Cup: 24 matches, 11 goals
    League Cup: 33 matches, 23 goals
    Europe: 32 matches, 22 goals
    TOTAL: 367 matches, 174 goals

Martin is Spurs third highest ever goalscorer.

Martin still works at Spurs as a matchday host at White Hart Lane.

Some footage of the big man scoring two against Man City. I am somewhere on the Park Lane lol

Baz

hambim336
    Conference League
    Conference League

Martin Chivers. Empty Re: Martin Chivers.

Post by hambim336 Mon Jul 18 2011, 23:31

Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments

If you want to get more materials that related to this topic, you can visit: http://ticketbrokerjob.info/ticket-broker-tips/

Best regards.

Last edited by hambim336 on Fri Jul 29 2011, 17:55; edited 1 time in total
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Jul 18 2011, 23:39

Not sure I'm with you fella. What do you mean?

Post by Guest Mon Oct 03 2011, 23:41

Sorry its an old post of yours baz, but i too regarded chiv as a spurs legend, in fact he was one of the best and has remained a spurs stalwart all these years even though he was a southampton boy.
    We seem to do well with buys from southampton, but we missed out on channon, i think bill nic was put off by the asking price in those days.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Tue Oct 04 2011, 00:58

Big Chiv was my favourite Striker after Greavsie Lew. As Venables said in his Video Terry Venables greatest Spurs team. For two season's Martin Chivers was unstoppable. A lot of people won't remember but Chivers also had a long throw that would have rivaled Delap's. He could easily throw it to the furthest goal post.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27 2024, 03:04