The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
santos EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
santos EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
santos EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
santos EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
santos EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
santos EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
santos EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
santos EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
santos EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

santos Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

2 posters

santos

santos Empty santos

Post by Guest Wed Sep 08 2010, 01:07

Harry's decision on Dos Santos?
    You know, it just occurred to me amidst the euphoria of VDV's signing; Giovani plays best as an attacking midfielder.

Surely he proved that against Villarreal and Sporting Lisbon. he was class against both, and for Mexico while in that position. Played out wide, he struggles to have any effect on the game, as demonstrated in the first leg of the CL qualifier against Young Boys. So, assuming Harry knows this, and assuming the VDV deal has Harry's approval, can we see this as the end of any potential AM role for Dos Santos at the club?

We cannot argue squad depth being necessary, at least in this position. Modric and Kranjcar would both do fine there. In all probability, Kranjcar would be VDV's backup, if only to keep him happy. And Dos Santos being young, he desperately needs playing time in order to progress at this crucial stage in his career. So are we to assume that Harry has effectively written Dos Santos off as a Spurs player?

ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

santos Empty Re: santos

Post by ionman34 Wed Sep 08 2010, 20:23

You know what Lought, I've been pondering GDS for a bit now and I think he's now been presented with an opportunity with the injury to Defoe. As far as the midfield berth is concerned, I think he has a snowball's chance in Hell of pushing himself into a regular starting spot, there's just too many ahead of him, and the only way he'll make the spot his own is if we get a 'King Ralph' scenario, with the other CM players all popping their clogs en masse.

He certainly does seem to be all at sea when played wide right, but Harry may just be able to coach him into an effective right sided player. Let's not forget how Jol played Lennon, for most of a season, on the left to aid in his development. Harry may have similar plans for Gio.

But midfield is the one area where we show no real weaknesses. Defence shows a little but I can't see 'Ikkle' Gio playing at Ch can you?

That leaves the Centre Forward role. With Defoe out we are suddenly bereft of pace up front. With the best will in the World, you would never ever refer to Crouch, Keane or Pav as 'pacey' ............... Not unless you had your fast forward button pressed anyway!
    It opens up an avenue for GDS that may just be tailor made for the attributes he possesses, pace, low centre of gravity, guile, trickery and a good eye for goal.

I'd like to see Harry give it a whirl you know. The CC is the perfect platform to try the boy out, and I think he needs this. He's a pivotal player for Mexico and it shows in his confidence when he plays for them.

Give him a reason to feel that kind of confidence for us and I reckon he could be a revelation.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Wed Sep 08 2010, 23:01

I sniff another Taarabt or Reto Ziegler in the making here supposedly
    not good enough to make the first 11 @ Tottenham but good enough to play
    in the WC hmmm , it's a serious business being a football manager :P

Post by Guest Thu Sep 09 2010, 01:12

I always say with players like taarabt, reto and dos santos that time will tell if the manager was right or wrong !

Funny enough i am not convinced by any of them, but that doesnt mean to say i am right.

I think in my case that none of those named above gave me much confidence when they were actually put on -- or played for the first team, whether as first choice or sub, as i said only time !!!!!

Post by Guest Thu Sep 09 2010, 02:26

im not convinced about gio. he never inpresses me. he looked woefull when he came on aganst wigan. people say its because hes playing out wide but he played the whole season last season there so he must be used to it.

i also would like him to play up front but unless we get more injurys im sure hes going to be frozen out. we have to many players that can play out wide now and i think harry will stick wiv krankar as 3rd choich on the left or right before gio

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20 2024, 04:42