The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Not a great squad? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Not a great squad? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Not a great squad? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Not a great squad? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Not a great squad? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Not a great squad? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Not a great squad? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Not a great squad? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Not a great squad? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Not a great squad? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

5 posters

Not a great squad?

totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Not a great squad? Empty Not a great squad?

Post by totalytot Sun Sep 26 2010, 20:16

Not many on here are going to agree with this , if any. But it's time we stopped looking at our squad and individuals through rose colooured specs.

I've said on here before that we have a big squad but not a great one. Certainly not one that can win the prem or the CC or even finish 2nd in the prem.

In my opinion we have to many overated players that play regularly in the team.

I think we need 2 full backs, 1 CH, 1 MF, 2 Strikers.

Corluka and Ekotto are not good enough. Corluka never has been and Ekotto lives in his own world and I don't see him as a team player. We need a CH because central defence is weak because it has no stability, it's never the same from one week to another. I know that we have regular injuries but the constant changing around has to stop.

I think we need another class MF like VDV as the only ones that are class to me are Modric and Bale......who incidently is not a full back.....Sadly I think Hudd is as far as I believe he will go in ability, he's not in my opinion England class and that is the sort of level we have to judge our players, if not England then Holland or Germany or Spain etc.Occasional 40 yard passes do not make a great player and the comparing him with Hoddle, as many do is a joke, as he is not in the same class.

The striker situation is dire as our lack of goals this season so far shows. Pav has always been a lazy player and never stamps his authority on the game. When Crouch plays we know it's going to be the long ball approach and sadly Robbie seems that he has seen better days and at 30 he needs to move on.

So the six players that are needed to come in and really put us up with the top sides have to be paid for. Well Sell bentley for 10m, Corluka and Ekotto for 4m each, Pav, Crouch and Keane for 10m each...... and this one I think I will have very few agreeing on...... If we can get 16-20 mil for Hudd I would let him go. In fact providing we keep Modric, Bale, VDV and Defoe they can sell the rest and start again.

It is not likely to happen but I think it needs sorting on a big scale, the only problem is if it were and we had a team of world class like say Barcelona is Harry the man to be able to handle it. I don't think so as I don't think he is big enough. Many of us felt that from the beginning was he a big time manager and had doubts. I think he is a good manager and the players like him but do they respect him as somebody that can take them forward. I am having my doubts as maybe they are.

This is not the ranting of someone who is sounding off because we lost yesterday, although I am sick about it like the rest of us,it's just my personal feeling about our squad that most regulars on here know I have had since last year.

I just do not see this group of players being good enough to take us to where we all want to go and that is to the top.

I will be interested in your comments, however scathing they maybe.

Mikey M
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Not a great squad? Empty Re: Not a great squad?

Post by MarkA249 Sun Sep 26 2010, 20:56

Agree totally no pun intended Mikey repped out of our squad we only we only have about five players who r excellent players VDV Modric Bale Gomes. King could of been if not of his injures. Fabiano would of been a good signing and a quality centre half the spine of the team is important and no quality centre half or foward is dragging us down. Defoe is just a little bit short no pun of what is really excellent.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sun Sep 26 2010, 21:11

totalytot wrote:
    is Harry the man to be able to handle it. I don't think so as I don't think he is big enough. Many of us felt that from the beginning was he a big time manager and had doubts. I think he is a good manager and the players like him but do they respect him as somebody that can take them forward. I am having my doubts as maybe they are.

Rept:)

Mike i agree wih everything you say , the team as a whole has a mix of world class and adverage players and to compare Thudd to Hoddle is an insult if im to be honest , hoddle is a legend at spurs in his prime he one one of the best players in the world , can we say that about Thudd no we cant .

Harry i personally think hes gone as far as he can go with Spurs imo for so many reasons, when you look back at Redknapps managerial record you will see the teams he's managed have always been on a shoe string budget struggling clubs always flirting with relegation, when he joined spurs even he had to admit he inheireted most of the current squad and all it needed was organising which to be fair he did very well got us playing some decent football , but now hes in the big league playing amonsgt the big players and i think hes out of his depth.

For a start it seems to me hes trying to hard to accommodate all the players instead of playing the best team, hes chopping and changing so much it gives of the impression he don't know his first 11 , he's obviously made the CL his prioirty over the prem you only have to look at our league form to see this, and then he makes darf staments that spurs are good enough to win the league, for me i think hes taken us up a level but now hes in uncharted territory himself, this is all new to him as it is to the club, can he keep us in the top 4 ? time will tell , but imo i think hes losing it, hope im wrong
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Mon Sep 27 2010, 00:30

Good post Mikey. definately need a few more signings on the same level as VDV, his presence makes so much difference. I think Ekotto is a good player though, i know he loses it sometimes, but he does try and is good getting forward and can cross the ball very well. Corluka i just want to slap, he's useless.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Sep 27 2010, 06:30

As I posted on another thread, Arry must get us back on track with the PL. It seems to me he is saving our best squad for the CL and its letting us down in the League.

Post by Guest Mon Sep 27 2010, 07:46

BazSpur wrote:As I posted on another thread, Arry must get us back on track with the PL. It seems to me he is saving our best squad for the CL and its letting us down in the League.

I think its the players that are saving themselves for the cl baz ! its down to them to knuckle down to the cut and thrust of the prem not the new challenge of the cl.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08 2024, 10:39