The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
whinger EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
whinger EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
whinger EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
whinger EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
whinger EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
whinger EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
whinger EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
whinger EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
whinger EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

whinger Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

whinger

whinger Empty whinger

Post by Guest Fri Nov 26 2010, 23:41

Copied below a fairly amusing look at the ole myopic one. I've read some other articles by the author, Matthew Norman, and he does come across as a Spurs fan. Anyway some of it is a touch giggalishess . . . . . .

Matthew Norman: the time has come for Arsene Wenger to realise he has to go
    Somewhere between the birth of punk rock and the publication of Andrew Morton’s Diana biography, the received wisdom correctly holds, British deference breathed its last.

Nowadays no one — not our Queen, her ministers, the Archbishop of Canterbury, not even Cheryl Cole — lies beyond attack from the vicious iconoclasts of both public and media.

No one, that is, except Arsène Wenger. Miraculously, the Alsatian alone continues to inspire a degree of deference unknown in Her Majesty’s realm since a peer was ostracised from society in the late 1950s for mocking her accent.

To those of us who have come to regard Wenger as a shot fighter, this is the leading mystery of an endlessly perplexing age.

Take the reaction to Arsenal’s defeat, having led their friends and neighbours Tottenham 2-0 at half-time, last Saturday.

Here was a feckless capitulation that ideally crystallised the managerial failure that has turned the Emirates trophy cabinet into football’s Marie Celeste.

Here, in fact, was the classical Arsenal season of recent years — the impressive start that flattered to deceive, followed by the drainage of self-confidence under pressure — distilled into a single game.

Arsenal under Wenger have become denuded of various things required to challenge seriously for the Premier and Champions Leagues, such as a vaguely reliable goalkeeper and a couple of battle-hardened veterans to nursemaid the precocious youngsters.

But the quality this side most fatally lack is the one without which no amount of dazzling brilliance is enough. They lack character – and with any team that, or its absence, inevitably devolves from its manager.

A guide to the anachronistic reverence in which Wenger is held arrived when Spurs scored their late winner.

A radio pundit declared of his furious flinging of the sponge, which so amusingly drenched himself and his assistant Pat Rice, that this was “about as much show of emotion as you’ll ever see from him”.

With a stubbornness worthy of Wenger himself, the media will not see past the clinically detached, professorial archetype it pegged him for when he arrived from Japan in 1996.

However often he succumbs to touchline temper tantrums, is sourly ungracious in defeat, or needs separating from a rival by the fourth official, this image of the effete and charming philosophy don on sabbatical from the All Soul’s high table persists.

The reality that Wenger’s masterful self-control suggests Gazza after a weekend lock-in at the Newcastle Brown brewery cannot permeate the consciousness.

If he responded to a marginally late challenge on Cesc Fabregas by removing an AK 47 and mowing down the offender, John Motson or Mike Ingham would murmur something about appreciating how even Wenger would have been driven beyond endurance by the tackle; and that the ensuing touchline presence of a uniformed officer seems a prissy overreaction to so trifling an offence.

If Wenger was always a queeny hysteric, that trait survives.

What has faded is the genius with which, for much of his first decade at Arsenal, he relentlessly brought in great players on the cheap and moulded them into teams who not only played exquisite football but fought like tigers.

His Olympian intransigence precludes him from doing the obvious — buying a competent goalie and that brace of gnarled veterans — simply because that is what everyone keeps begging him to do.

Arsenal are treading water at best, though the appalling home form of late suggests they are atrophying, yet no one seems minded to talk of replacing him.

Here one is reminded of Winston Churchill, so unspeakably magnificent between 1940-45 and so ineffably ineffectual when back in power from 1951-55.

Neither the media nor his colleagues had the heart to mention publicly, even after a severe stroke, that he was past it.

The lovechild of that union between eternal gratitude and well-earned deference was the stasis that finally yielded to Anthony Eden’s frantic quest to prove himself and the catastrophe of Suez.

If Wenger earned his deference by saving the democratic world, I must have missed it.

Certainly he won a bundle of trophies, and in glorious style, but that was then. Even Churchill finally accepted that no one can “keep buggering on” forever. Will Arsène Wenger ever do the same?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

whinger Empty Re: whinger

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 27 2010, 03:54

Wenger is a bit of an enigma in that he knows what must be done but refuses to do it for reasons known only to himself. The Arsenal supporters have been screaming for a quality goal keeper to take over from Flappyhandski but for some reason Wenger sticks by his current goalkeeper blindly. The goalkeeper isn't their only problem. RVP looks to be as accomplished as our former sicknote Darren Anderton at breaking down regularly. Added to that I really think there is a massive problem with Flabbyass. They should have let him go to Barca and got the money because it is patently obvious he is not himself. He is getting injured regularly now........or is he? Players have their own ways of letting clubs know they want out. REPPED Vis.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Sat Nov 27 2010, 04:25

PMSL....... lmao FLAPPYHANDSKI. That cracked me up Baz, Repped!
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 27 2010, 05:16

Cheers Lee. Very Happy
    stevelovesfun
    stevelovesfun
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by stevelovesfun Sat Nov 27 2010, 07:54

Truth is guys,this guy has brought so much to the club during his 14 years,and those of us that live in hope he will yet deliver the goods again,cannot see anyone else better equippped to step into his shoes at this time.
    I wont bore you with the list of trophies he has already helped to bring to the club,and not to forget the memorable invincible year.
    Yes,past glories,and yes maybe we are starting to sound like Liverpool,living very much in what was,and what could be.
    How many of the big hitters in the prem would put up with 5 years without a trophy?
    I guess thats what makes Arsenal FC just a little bit different from any other club.
    He has signed an extention that will keep him at the club until 2014,but i dont think his contract will stand quite as firm if he fails to deliver very soon.
    We have a great chance to progress in the ,yes,MM cup,we are currently 3rd in the prem,and only 2 points from top spot,we WILL qualify for the knockout stages of the CL,and we still have the fa cup.
    So if this season so far is being classed by many as a disaster already,then i guess that just shows how much Wenger has achieved up to now,and the expectation that surrounds the club.
    What would the Spurs fans accept as a good season this year?
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 27 2010, 08:01

It's gotta be 4th again for us Steve. I would also love to win the FA cup again I can't see us winning the CL for all our good work so far. As for the Prem. Not yet but I really don't think we are that far away from becoming contenders.
    stevelovesfun
    stevelovesfun
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by stevelovesfun Sat Nov 27 2010, 10:07

Hi Baz,
    I dont go in for all this rivalry between Arsenal and Spurs,not my bag,so i look at the progress of Spurs as i would any other team in the Prem.
    Have to say, i thought Spurs were not that far off under Jol,just needed more time,obviously not a luxury afforded over the years as a manager of Spurs.
    Harry,well,this guy has clicked with you guys,and has proved over recent years he can hold his own tactically against the big boys.
    It looks as though you have a very strong squad,capable of playing half decent football,but as well,more than enough to mix it up if things get a little rough.
    If it came down to picking the top 4 teams come the end of this season,who knows, its far to close to call.
    The CL is a tough one, and luck plays a big part, i could not pick out a favourite for this season.
    The fa cup,no,you cant have that, its ours THIS YEAR,LOL.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Nov 27 2010, 11:22

Nah, you can have the CC. The FA cup is ours by divine right lol!

Post by Guest Sat Nov 27 2010, 11:45

if i was a gooner i wouldnt want him to go.
    i just dont like him when he moans and wants us all to noitice a certain innicendent that goes aganst hes team then ignores it when its for hes team.

the champions league i really feel we can go far.

stay away from real and barce and if either of us draw a english team then as long as 2nd leg at home them we can beat anyone

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02 2024, 16:48