The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Who, after Harry??? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Who, after Harry??? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Who, after Harry??? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Who, after Harry??? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Who, after Harry??? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Who, after Harry??? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Who, after Harry??? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Who, after Harry??? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Who, after Harry??? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Who, after Harry??? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

3 posters

Who, after Harry???

Who, after Harry??? Empty Who, after Harry???

Post by Guest Thu Dec 09 2010, 20:22

A couple of posts from vitalspurs :-

Who, after Harry???

It occurred to me that with all the speculation that Harry will be considered for England in 2012: Who would we want to replace him?

The obvious candidates people will want is Mourinho, Guardiola etc but are we big enough for them IF they are available? Personally Gus Hiddink stands out for our level at present. Or must they be English??

We offer a good prospect for a Premier outfit, good squad, New stadium coming, prospect in the PL/CL to challenge for honours. Conversely a manager like Ramos`s reputation could get wrecked if it goes wrong. Where is he now???
    Written by COYS R US

A reassessment of Klinsmann the manager

In light of Chris Hughton's disgraceful sacking from Newcastle, Martin Jol's surprise resignation from Ajax, and Harry's persistent linking of himself with the not yet vacant England role, some will not have been aware of Jurgen Klinsmann's re-emergence into the world of football as a 'consultant' for Toronto FC of the MLS.

Whilst many will recall that he did very well in getting Germany to the semi-finals of the 2006 World Cup, and possibly the most exciting goalless semi-final ever, much of that credit has gone to his assistants including the current manager, Joachim Low. He then had a bit of a torrid time at Bayern, not even lasting the first season of a two year deal. But has he been given a bad press as a Head Coach - Manager?

Bayern at the moment are having a poor season. Dortmund are storming ahead in the Bundesliga, Bayern are in an astonishingly low position of 7th. Louis Van Gaal is no mug of a manager but Bayern did not buy anyone this summer. Is this a coincidence?

If you consider the period since 2007, Bayern have had 3 managers. In Ottmar Hitzfeld's last season in 2007, Bayern spent over €58m on players including signing Franck Ribery and brought in Miroslav Klose on a free, recouping about €20m selling Hargreaves to Man Utd. In Van Gaal's first season in 2009 they spent over €72m signing amongst others Arjen Robben and Mario Gomes whilst bringing in €10m selling Podolski back to Cologne. That's a total of €100+ in signings

And Klinsmann in 2008? He was allowed to spend €0m. That's right €0m. His one major signing was Tim Borowski (who?) the Werder international who was brought in to replace Ballack in much the same way as he did for the National team.

It is easy to be considered a good manager if you can buy yourself all the help you need. Chris Hughton however achieved more than the big spenders because he was barely allowed to spend anything.

If you look at Mourinho's time at Internazionale he took over a 3 times SerieA winner and enjoyed a 62% win percentage in his time there whilst spending big with Sneijder and Milito. Klinsmann's percentage at Bayern despite spending no money was 58% and in fact in his last seven games it was close to 75%

When/if Harry becomes England manager, it will be good to see Klinsmann as a candidate because as a pure coach (no spending money) his performance is up there with those who are regarded the best. And equally Chris Hughton should be considered a candidate

NB* If you want to deride Klinsmann working in the MLS, remember that Arsenal grabbed Wenger from Grampus8 of the J-League, hardly the top league in the world.

Written by Kernowboy71

Read more: http://www.spurs.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7506697#ixzz17bYCi5xj
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Who, after Harry??? Empty Re: Who, after Harry???

Post by BazSpur Thu Dec 09 2010, 23:30

I was surprised how well Chris did at Newcastle as he didn't show much at Spurs but then he wasn't in total control. The problem is you never know how well a manager is going to do until he tries and then it's too late if it don't work out. Klinsman's stats do look very good considering he had no money to spend. I still think Coyle would make a good manager for us. He has worked wonders with Bolton on hardly no money and did the same with Burnley before that.
    HotspurRoper
    HotspurRoper

Post by HotspurRoper Fri Dec 10 2010, 04:33

Jose!!! santa

Post by Guest Fri Dec 10 2010, 05:21

Fabio Capello believes that Sam Allardyce and Harry Redknapp are leading the list of potential candidates to replace him when he steps down as England manager in 2012.
    The Football Association have confirmed that they intend to replace Capello with an Englishman when the Italian's contract ends after the European Championships.
    When asked which English managers are performing best, the Italian said: "In this moment Allardyce and Redknapp are doing very well because they have different players, they have good style and get results with them. It is important for a coach to understand which type of players they manage and find the best style."
    Tottenham manager Redknapp is the bookmakers' favourite after he brought Champions League football to White Hart Lane, while Blackburn manager Allardyce has won many plaudits during his nine-year spell in top-flight management.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com

Post by Guest Fri Dec 10 2010, 05:57

Think it's a bit early to answer this fairly. Only should Cappello resign soon can I give it a considered answer. Should he see his contract out the soonest 'arry would leave would be the end of season 2011/12. Who can say will be a fine manergerial prospect then ? If he where to go say next week & 'arry was to leave the week after I have to say Coyle is doing well at present but will he continue to do so ? Hiddink has a proven track record. Houghton has done himself no harm of late. Big Mart is seeking employment. Or maybe it would pay to promote from within for at least the rest of the season ? Clive Allen. Bond, Jordan or maybe a trio of joint managers ? But whether next month or 2 years time it's a no, no & indeed no from me to Mourhinio and his grinding, dour tactics . . . . .
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Fri Dec 10 2010, 06:36

I have to say that should Harry leave for the England post, it will be a hell of a job replacing him. I do feel that we should go for a British manager, as this is where most of our success throughout our history has come from with Bill Nicholson and Keith Burkinshaw, so how about Steve Bruce, he's not doing a bad job at Sunderland and given a decent squad of players, which we have,I think he could do well, or how about giving Clive Allen a chance. I see that David Dein, ex Arsenal vice chairman, has been offered the FA Chairman's job, oh how he would love to give Harry the managers job so that he can sabotage the success that we crave for our club.

Post by Guest Fri Dec 10 2010, 07:31

steve bruce has spent a lot of money and they stil up and down.

as much as i loved klinsmann at spurs it would be a big risk to get him in. hes still young . the next manager needs to be english although i wouldnt mind hiddink.

hughton done a decent job at newcastle but i think newcastle would of been in a relegation battle if he stayed. prob will stil be in 1.

take away the freak arsenal result n chelsea n sunderland thrashin hes home form in prem so far has not been good.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content