The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Beckham !    yes or no.? EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Beckham !    yes or no.? Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+7
spurslegend
cstmrsking
ionman34
MarkA249
BazSpur
philip
LOBO
11 posters

Beckham ! yes or no.?

Beckham !    yes or no.? Empty Beckham ! yes or no.?

Post by Guest Sat Jan 01 2011, 21:30

I always back harry and his excursions into the transfer market, i did gallas because i knew harry was right and that we could get a couple of good seasons out the bloke ! beckham is another matter, who would we drop for the 35 year old ? his injury record is mounting up and he would cost a lot in wages.

Ok so we get him for 2 and a half months, his wages for that period would probably be in excess of at least £1.5 million, isnt that a little of the hard earned champions league cash frittered away ?

Personally i would back harry if he wants to loan him but he is slow now compared to the beckham of 10 years ago.
    Yeah he can offer experience and he,s been there and done it all but simply he,s too old, and that takes me back to my first question ! who would you drop for him?

Last edited by lewspurs on Sun Jan 02 2011, 06:03; edited 1 time in total
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Beckham !    yes or no.? Empty Re: Beckham ! yes or no.?

Post by LOBO Sat Jan 01 2011, 23:30

Just think how many spurs shirts they could sell with beckham on the back , its a shame we cant make up our own rules to suit him like the NFL and just bring him on for corners & freekicks lol
    philip
    2nd Division
    2nd Division

Post by philip Sun Jan 02 2011, 00:38

I think it is no go for me, he will slow the team and have an adverse effect on whoever he will replacing. Imagine Lennon or Bale on the Bench for Beckham definitely No No NO
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Jan 02 2011, 00:52

You have to look at the bigger picture IMO. Shirt sales will go through the roof which will in some part take care of his wages but it's his experience to the younger players that will pay dividends for us. Lennon will learn a lot from him as will Bale and some of the other Midfield players. Not just that but his enthusiasm and passion will rub off on everyone.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 01:33

Im a bit torn on this one. I admire Beckham as a man but find him very one dimensional as a player. He would create as many new Spurs fans as Gareth Bale has this season. Lots of kids choosing their team would be inlfluenced by this and a new generation of supporters are made. Also across the world in general, the profile of the club would be lifted. So from a "marketing" perspective it has to be yes. The downside may be the media circus that follows him everywhere and the detrimental effect it could have on some areas. From the playing point of view it gets tricky. We couldn't play him wide right as it would slow down the pace of our attacks but if he could playing the holding role we have a superb replacement for Thudd for a short period time of time until Thudd is fully fit again. Also a player of his experience & professionalism on the training ground & in the changing room would be a positive. So if it where to happen you wouldn't hear any complaints from me as a short term deal could benefit the club we support in many ways . . .
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Sun Jan 02 2011, 01:40

Totally agree Vis Beckham to cover for Hudd makes perfect sense his passing corners and freekicks and to help Lennon too hope it comes off
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Jan 02 2011, 02:20

No for me. Obviously he's not suitable for the right and we already have Jenas and Krancjar in there to cover Thudd, if necessary.

About the only thing positive in it, for me, is the raising of our profile ................

And our Football is doing that in spades anyway.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Sun Jan 02 2011, 03:14

IMO, This mostly a Vanity / profile signing (no bad thing in itself). No doubt he would be a good influence in the changing room and on the training ground. Drop Lennon! stick him on the bench for when we have clear lead to rest players and give him a go under those circumstances.
    cstmrsking
    cstmrsking
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by cstmrsking Sun Jan 02 2011, 03:18

PS I didnt mean drop Lennon for Becks. Thats dropp Lennon? Nah. Stick Becks on the bench bla bla bla.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sun Jan 02 2011, 03:20

I'm going to say yes for one reason only

not because we can make money out of spurs shirts because thats stating the obvious really , but because having David Beckham in the dressing room will no doubt give confidence to the other players some might say swell there heads, but the thought of having the biggest name in world football rubbing shoulders with the squad will undoudtedly boost confidence and give the team a massive lift , ok i don't think he will play 90 mins of regular footy but what a useful sub to bring on in the last 10 mins , he free kicks would open up any defence with tired legs .. i can see harrys thinking here and seeing the bigger picture

A Massive yes from me Smile
    spurslegend
    spurslegend
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by spurslegend Sun Jan 02 2011, 04:06

TRUST IN ARRY YES FOR ME
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun Jan 02 2011, 04:15

who wants fuckin beckham on the back of their shirt, hes utd and always will be . if he comes it will only be for a short loan so anyone putting his name on their shirt must be bloody mad.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 04:18

Its NO from me i dont think we need the distraction.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 09:53

The prospects of David Beckham making a return to the Premier League have increased as Harry Redknapp said the player has declared his desire to join Tottenham Hotspur. Spurs are now in talks with Beckham's club, Los Angeles Galaxy, about signing the 35-year-old on loan until the Major League Soccer season resumes in March.

Redknapp even suggested that Beckham could be available to play in the FA Cup tie against Charlton Athletic next weekend, explaining that he was eager to complete the deal done as rapidly as possible. Galaxy are believed to be reluctant to sanction the move because Beckham suffered an injury during a similar loan stint at Milan last year, but the player has explained that he believes playing for Spurs would help him maintain his fitness levels during the American off-season — while also helping him fulfil his ultimate aim, which is to add to his 115 England caps.

"We've got to get him quickly if it's going to happen as he's only available until March," explained Redknapp. "It's out of may hands now, I've passed it on to [Tottenham director of football administration] Darren Eales and I think he's talking to whoever he has to talk to at LA Galaxy. It's down to whether they'd let him come or not."

Asked whether he was concerned that Beckham has previously said he would never contemplate signing for a club other than Manchester United, whom he left after a decade in 2003, Redknapp replied: "David just said he'd like to come and play at Tottenham. He told me that."

Redknapp rubbished the notion that Beckham no longer has anything to offer at the highest level and explained how he could fit into Tottenham's team. "Other than Aaron [Lennon] we've got no one who can play wide on the right because David Bentley keeps picking up injuries and wants to go out on loan anyway. I've got Niko Kranjcar but he hates playing there, he wants to come in off the left so it's a problem. You need a squad. [Beckham] is not going to play every game but I still think he could play a big part for us. He could have come on [against Fulham] and help us keep the ball."

Redknapp compared signing Beckham to his decision to bring Teddy Sheringham to Portsmouth in 2001, when the striker, like Beckham now, was 35. "[Beckham] would be a great influence. When I took Teddy to Portsmoiuth, I said to the others 'watch him train, watch his technique and how he takes pride in everything he does. Watching how top players practice is better than all the coaching in the world. If it's doable, it's a no-brainer."
    cynicsid
    cynicsid
    1st Division
    1st Division

Post by cynicsid Sun Jan 02 2011, 11:44

Like Harry say's. Sometimes it's got to be about football.

I dont think he would add much to be honest as he will not be quick enough to compliment the team but (and it's a big BUT)25 players would raise their game so as not to be the player dropped out of the squad.

I think he could add to the teams quality without ever making it onto the pitch.

And thinking forward that guy's going to be a billionare one day and he's gonner want to own a club????

I'd say yes let him come.

Post by Guest Sun Jan 02 2011, 23:03

cynicsid wrote:Like Harry say's. Sometimes it's got to be about football.

I dont think he would add much to be honest as he will not be quick enough to compliment the team but (and it's a big BUT)25 players would raise their game so as not to be the player dropped out of the squad.

I think he could add to the teams quality without ever making it onto the pitch.

And thinking forward that guy's going to be a billionare one day and he's gonner want to own a club????

I'd say yes let him come.

I think you have answered the question before adding a last line of "let him come " and thats the fact that he is too slow ! we have a fast (counter) attack that has served us well all season ! why change all that for a player that was lured away from spurs years ago by bobby charlton,s recommendation to ferguson, why do we want him now when he is past his sell by date ? if its to sell shirts then thats another matter, the most important thing for me is the question " what does he add to the team " at the age of 35 ? i think we should be looking elsewhere for younger talent.

The other stuff we read is that with bentley probably leaving in the window that he will cover that position, that doesnt make sense as its only a short term signing, unless of course harry sees kranjcar as cover and he is rumoured as wanting to leave, sounds like the signing of beckham could upset krancjar and lennon, with beckham obviously operating on the right wing.

I support harry all the way and if the beckham loan happens then i hope it is successful, i just dont like it because this spurs team has pace, and thats what beckham hasnt got anymore.

Post by Guest Tue Jan 04 2011, 00:36

SIGNING OF DAVID BECKHAM WOULD MERELY SHOW SPURS AS PRETENDERS

POSTED BY DANIEL STOREY ON JANUARY 3, 2011

Do Spurs need to be a part of Brand Beckham?

But it’s David Beckham… and we are Spurs…. so of course I would want us to sign him

The above quote is not from one of the bastions of our game, but instead my brother. But matter not, it highlights my point perfectly.

David Beckham, it appears, is available for a two-month loan from LA Galaxy. Since these rumours surfaced, there have been a number of clubs declaring their interest in the England midfielder. These include Blackburn, Everton, Newcastle, Sunderland and Spurs. But what is the common factor in all of these clubs? None of them are, until now, what we would label as ‘Big Four’ clubs.

This hints at the fact that David Beckham, aged 35, is more of a marquee signing than anything else. He is a shirt seller. He is an attendance generator. He is a ‘parade him before the game’ signing. He is a twenty minutes at the end of a match player. He is also a signing that may instigate other foreign signings, with players tempted to be a part of ‘Brand Beckham’. All of this makes it all the more interesting that Spurs appear to be favourites to sign Becks.

More than any other side in European football, Tottenham Hotspur are a side on the up. In Gareth Bale they have a young player seemingly at the beginnings of a potentially wonderful career, and in Michael Dawson they have England’s in-form defender. Combine this with Rafael Van der Vaart (surely the signing of the season) and it is easy to see why Spurs have had success. Just over two years ago they were bottom of the Premier League after eight games (as Harry Redknapp will tell you ad infinitum) with just two points. Now they are preparing for a last 16 tie against AC Milan, after dispatching AC’s city rivals at White Hart Lane.

So, given the fact that Manchester United, Arsenal or Manchester City have shown no interest in signing Beckham, why are Spurs doing so? Is it not a slight concession that Spurs are maybe not yet up there with the ‘big boys’ of the Premier League? Should they not instead be spending their wage budget on a glitz and glamour signing in the Van der Vaart mould?

One thing is for certain, Beckham does not come cheap. Reportedly expecting to drop his current salary to £120,000 a week, Two months of Beckham costs over a million pounds.

There is also the argument that Beckham is a great role model for the younger players. Whilst this is true, surely this is something that must be achieved using professional coaches, as oppose to a 35 year old media bandwagon? I heard a pundit this weekend say that “even if Beckham has just two hours a day helping Aaron Lennon to cross the ball then it is worth it.” If Lennon, an international footballer, needs David Beckham there to help him cross a ball then England are in more trouble internationally than we ever thought.

I think the point is that this January transfer window is possibly a crossroads for Spurs. If Harry can be backed, and backed big, and the club can introduce a couple of genuine international class players (and I am talking about a Benzema or a Milito) then Tottenham could still be genuine title challengers.

Five years ago, this is exactly the sort of thing you would expect from Spurs. All fart and no sh*t, as the same brother of mine delightfully labels it. Spurs being a club that promise much but deliver little. In the first 13 years of the Premier League Spurs did not finish in the top six or the bottom six on any occasion.

But that was old Spurs, and this is new Spurs. David Beckham is a media sensation. In the last eighteen months Spurs have been creating media sensations of their own. It may be a mistake to try and mix the two.

http://www.offthepost.info
    SuneJim
    SuneJim
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by SuneJim Wed Jan 05 2011, 04:58

Right first off i can't see why we'd need him on the pitch, he never really had pace & i think his legs are gone & i don't see a single thing Beckham can give us on the pitch on match days so for that reason i say a big resounding NO!

But having said that, on the training pitch & in the dressing room i think his experience & confidence he can help some of the younger players become better & if he can instill in them his will to win & desire as well he'd be worth his weight in gold. So for that i have to say YES!

Add to that the fact he will be a cash cow especially from area's like Japan & America where we haven't really cracked yet, but on the flip-side of that he will bring a media circus from around the world with him so for that i say BRING IT ON, i think lol

So to sum up if it happens i'm fine with as there is some pluses, but if it doesn't i couldn't give a monkey's as there's drawbacks as well!
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Wed Jan 05 2011, 21:55

As I see it the only one to gain from such a move is Beckham himself. He seeems to believe that he still has a chance of playing for England and a move like this would assist his cause. Well crap to that. So many people seem to believe that he is one of the all time greats. Well crap to that as well. Man U got rid seven years ago and I can't see they have suffered any great loss. Will Lennon learn from him don't think so cos he's a totally different player pace being his main gift and Beckham never had that. Surely Lennon could learn more from Bale?
    He aint gonna increase gates we already sell out every game and who's gonna buy a Spurs shirt with his name for 3 months.
    I cannot see the bloody point.
    So a great big NO from me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 15:02