The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Football is a joke. EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Football is a joke. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Football is a joke. EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Football is a joke. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Football is a joke. EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Football is a joke. EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Football is a joke. EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Football is a joke. EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Football is a joke. EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Football is a joke. Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Football is a joke.

Football is a joke. Empty Football is a joke.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 01:19

Isnt it just all about money now, with rumours gathering that another assault on our players will occur in the summer.

You know though i cant stand wenger i have to admire his achievements at goonshire because he did it years ago without the budgets of the man utds,barcelonas and real madrids, these god almighty world rich clubs stay at the top of the footballing tree simply because they have the money to buy the right every year and every decade, and of course man city are just about to join this elite.

This is what puts me off the game, it seems like the rest of us are there to make up the numbers, its insulting really if you think about it, even the fans believe they have the divine right to sign the best and win everything on offer at these clubs.

I was watching a game where man utd lost (might have been against their man city rivals) and i just thought they acted like a load of bad losers, they seem to believe they had the rights to win the game and how dare the other team put in a spirited performance.

Oh and lought ! calling for mourinho at spurs, it wont happen my friend, but there are managers out there who are in his league but without the billions to spend, you only have to remember what brian clough achieved at notts forest in the late 70s and 80s to see what difference a brilliant manager can achieve by taking a team of unknowns and turning them into world beaters.

Football is a joke. Empty Re: Football is a joke.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 01:36

yep and we need to find a good manager. i been watching spurs review from 2006. how refresashin to hear jol talk about us and how he loves the club compared to harry going on about 2 from 8 and always having cheap shots at us when we dont win.

to say we could win the league and now struggle for 5th with a team who was so far behind us and without torres and gerrard and playin loads of kids is a disgrace andtells me harry cant get the best from our sqaud.

to think we let adel bentley towsend gio to go either on loan or sold and we go buy pinar lol

we got in the champions league and that was the time to get big players in now we missed the boat. man c wil get even better. so wil chelsea liverpool will aswell. if we lose 2mz and man c win then im afraid this season would of been worse then last
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sat Apr 30 2011, 04:39

The problem is i think is we dont spend on players, and Lew when you say rich clubs you will find spurs are the 10th richest club in world football i believe , but these other clubs do spend big money and pay the big fat wages, spurs wont do that, so its little wonder citeh are always improving, where are-s are concerned they just have a class manager full stop , some spurs fans are happy with the fact we dont spend massive amounts and pay big wages, so really they have no right to complain , it has been our undoing this season, to say " yeh but why should we waste millions on a player " is basically handing clubs like Citeh 4 spot, we had enough chances to buy we didnt, and there is nothing wrong with constanly upgrading, only down side is, spurs wont spend, we are tight , we're not a poor club by any stretch of de imagination , we simply wont compete in the market

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 05:37

im sure vdv not on crap wages same as lennon and galas.

i thought once we got in champions league we would look for big name players and harry then goes for pinnar and phill nevel.

is 30 mill really a lot for a young player when you see we sold keane in hes prime for 18 then brought bentley for 18 mill.

harry made a big mistake selling darren bent but he will never admit it
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:10

I know people say carroll was not worth 35 mill and saurez wasnt worth 25, but thats besides the point , we only had 3 strikers we were in the CL and fighting for 4th spot, you cant do that with 3 strikers , you only have to look where the majority of goals have come from this season to suggest our striker were in a poor form, we should have made Suarez our priority , yet he ends up at a team not even in the CL who have way more ambition than us it seems , im not happy because we have been so cavalier about the whole thing ..
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:21

then how come a*se dont spend big yet are constantly above us ? big spend dont gaurantee top 4 place . and people moan when other clubs are after our players yet we are constantly nicking other players from lower teams who cant afford to keep them or their heads are turned by the lure of a "bigger " club which is what utds of this world are to us. it is a sh*t situation to be in but imagine the championship clubs panicking about whos gonna take their top players close season, same as us just a different place
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:28

shearspur wrote:then how come a*se dont spend big yet are constantly above us ? big spend dont gaurantee top 4 place . and people moan when other clubs are after our players yet we are constantly nicking other players from lower teams who cant afford to keep them or their heads are turned by the lure of a "bigger " club which is what utds of this world are to us. it is a sh*t situation to be in but imagine the championship clubs panicking about whos gonna take their top players close season, same as us just a different place

Cos the manager doesnt chop and change he keeps the same team more or less all the time, plus there isnt many old players all young..like hanson said, you dont win nothing with kids lol

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:35

Top post Shear, rep for ya. Why is it that people only seem to see to the downside of things. Lobo makes a point about where we stand in the "rich league". Very good point & then questions why Spurs don't splash the cash ? But others are OK lets go and buy everyone and then do a Leeds. A team is made up of 11 players on the pitch and a whole squad behind them. Spending sh*t loads on several players does not guarentee sucsess. Real Madrid are the prime examples of this. Also when the UEFA fair play rules come into play football will change beyond recognition. I see the "big-boys" who spend outside of these rules saying to UEFA you need us more then we need you and possibly starting a breakaway Euro league. We could then see clubs folding overnight and it will be then that we say "Wow Levy had the foresight not to P*ss the family silver up the wall in pursuit of short term gain". But foresight & longevity seem to matter little to some people who demand instant gratification. Man Utd & Barcalona are probably the only teams who can do that. And that makes me all the more happier to be a Spurs fan . . . . .

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:38

wenger does spend money but nobody says antyhing. squalrlx was about 8mill vermalhan wasnt cheap walcot. they do find a lot of bargans but they also spend.

and we needed a striker. harry never beena fan of pav and had fallen out wiv robbie keane so it left him with defoe crouch and sumone he dont rate.
    im sure 50 mill on suarz and carrole and gettin rid of keane jenas crouch plus other players we dont need and we would have more points now

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:40

its not buyin eveyrone just one striker will do. we won one game in 8 i think and that is bad. imagin just 2 wins instead of draws and we be nockinn on 3rd.

nobody will convince me that we havent wasted a good chance this season 2push on and cement 4th spot. the buck stops with harry

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:42

Lought, Suarez I was always in favour of. Carrol was a maybe at the right price. BUT - always a but eh - we got outbid by the Scousers because they had the Torres money upfront. We all know Levy will not get involved in a bidding war, and for the future of our club; I don't think that is a bad thing . . . . . .

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:47

but we was lookin at him even before kenny took over but levy and harry got involved in other things and then they nicked him

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:53

Lought, £10/15/20M above what Spurs were looking at paying before the Scousers came knocking isn't nicking (especially not for Scousers lol), it is paying January transfer window prices. Liverpool had money burning a hole in their pocket and went and spunked it. It remains to be seen if they have got VFM (value for money) or not. Next season will will prove that . . . . . .

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 07:59

but we should have done the deal in 1str week of januray and i dont wana wait to find out if we missed out on a good player.

did u watch man c aganst blackburn they where awfull and it makes me sick to think we guna lose 4th spot to them and its al our own fault

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 08:05

Lought how can we do the deal when Liverpool are sniffing and Ajax & the Barcodes have a good idea that Scousers will have Torres money to throw around ? This ain't fantasy football mate, this is the real thing . . . . .. .

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 08:17

no torres was sold in last week of trasnfer window. kennny didnt even turn up until midway through the window.

we was just to slow just like trying to get charlie adams although that was agood thing we didnt get him.

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 09:03

Lought the whole football world knew what was happening with Torres. All the Scousers was trying to do was screw a few more Roubles out of the Russian as they was getting screwed by Ajax & the Barcodes for more than the value of the players they were offering. 1st week of January was when it went public. The foreplay had been going on well before then . . . . . .

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 22:07

shearspur wrote:then how come a*se dont spend big yet are constantly above us ? big spend dont gaurantee top 4 place . and people moan when other clubs are after our players yet we are constantly nicking other players from lower teams who cant afford to keep them or their heads are turned by the lure of a "bigger " club which is what utds of this world are to us. it is a sh*t situation to be in but imagine the championship clubs panicking about whos gonna take their top players close season, same as us just a different place

Well dont you think there should be a ceiling on how much clubs can spend in a season shear.

Say the most a club can spend in one season would be set at £20 million, wouldnt that make the premiership and other (european ) leagues healthier ? at the moment its a farce, all it means is that the man utds, barcelona, real madrids and now man city can mop up and become an exclusive club.

Its ridiculous, it just means who has the most money can have the best players and permanently hoover up the best talent around in the teams below them.

Clubs dont get a chance to build before their star players are enticed away, ferguson only has to mention a name and thats the seeds of discontent sown.

Football is a joke, it isnt a level playing field, it makes me think of the famous old saying from george orwells animal farm " some are more equal than others"

What i also wanted to point out is that when these divine clubs do lose a game how bad tempered the manager and players get because they believe it shouldnt happen to them.

Sure i get the point that we (spurs) buy players from clubs lower than us, however usually its players the big boys dont want to take a chance on because they are unproven, look at modric and all we heard when we bought him is that he wouldnt stand up to the rough and tumble of the prem, ferguson was unsure of signing berbatov before he came to spurs and proved his worth, then he couldnt wait to leave when ferguson clicked his fingers.

Its called monopoly shear and it reduces the game to a farce in my opinion.

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 00:03

Everything I've read recently says that Rossi is off to Barca for £30mil+
    And we had the opportunity to sign him for £18mil at one point?
    We keep missing these deals when top players are willing to come, we then wait for them to become established world class players who are worth twice as much and not interested in us.

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun May 01 2011, 00:20

truth is lew our players were good enough for 4th this season but for unexplained reasons are making it very very difficult now to grab that spot now. i would love to see a cap on spending to make it all fairer but would we be up there where we are now cos we have spent big also when you look at it over the seasons and if it was a level playing field maybe others would take our spot, who knows. certainly be interesting to see the managers pitting their wits against one another using who they have rather than waving the cheque book.

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 00:59

well said shear. other teams have caught us up. imagine if kenny had the whole season in charge. to think where liverpool and everton where at xmas.

stoke hand boltin or building a good sqaud.

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 01:56

shearspur wrote:truth is lew our players were good enough for 4th this season but for unexplained reasons are making it very very difficult now to grab that spot now. i would love to see a cap on spending to make it all fairer but would we be up there where we are now cos we have spent big also when you look at it over the seasons and if it was a level playing field maybe others would take our spot, who knows. certainly be interesting to see the managers pitting their wits against one another using who they have rather than waving the cheque book.

Well thats exactly what i am trying to say, clough didnt have untold billions, but won everything in his time, ferguson isnt that great when you really look at the facts, wenger is better than him imo, ferguson will fck spurs up again as he has done in the past.

He is after bale and modric and it fcking stinks again, its the only thing that keeps that biggest sh*t of s football club going, raiding teams that have a couple of good players that make a difference.

Little bolton are being forced to sell cahill this term, all the paper talk is that he will move on, leighton baines etc etc the list goes on, not giving other clubs the chance to build.

Put all clubs on a level playing field and restrict their financial clout in the market and eventually you would see which managers really make the grade........and funny enough i see harry being near the top if this was ever to become reality.

But it wont ! money is the root of the game, the players and the clubs thrive on it......it isnt competitive anymore when certain clubs rule the roost in exclusive purchasing of the games best players......as i said its a joke ! a fcking nightmare imo.

Watch the vultures wing in on any club that does well and snap up its best players in the close season,thats what reduces the game of football to a farce.

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 02:37

Lew, Clough broke the British transfer records with Shilton as a 'keeper & Francis as an outfield player. In real terms what Clough spent "back in the day" was no different to what managers are spending now. If you look back at Cloughs record he was alays playing the transfer market and spent a lot of money, for the time, in doing it. And it is no different today. Wealth buys sucsess. Blackburn a few years ago springs to mind. The wealthier clubs will be sucsessfull and that allows them to 'tap-up' players from other clubs. It has always gone on and until the football authorities & Government bring in strict embargos, it will continue . . . . . . . . . .

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 02:44

VisionarySound wrote:Lew, Clough broke the British transfer records with Shilton as a 'keeper & Francis as an outfield player. In real terms what Clough spent "back in the day" was no different to what managers are spending now. If you look back at Cloughs record he was alays playing the transfer market and spent a lot of money, for the time, in doing it. And it is no different today. Wealth buys sucsess. Blackburn a few years ago springs to mind. The wealthier clubs will be sucsessfull and that allows them to 'tap-up' players from other clubs. It has always gone on and until the football authorities & Government bring in strict embargos, it will continue . . . . . . . . . .

Vis ! shilton and francis came after clough had turned forest into first div champions, he then used the money to improve the side.......i dont remember him unsettling players the way evil ferguson does, and yeah i hate the fcking scottish b*stard, bad loser and a tosser of a manager without millions behind him.

Worse than wenger imho. Very Happy

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 02:55

Clough was infamous for tapping players up Lew & was always ready to splash the cash at every club he managed. When you think Francis was £1M in 1979 that was a huge sum of money back then. My point is that managers will tap players up, always have & always will. It is supposed to be illegal but all they need is a friendly reporter and it is in the press. Sometimes a players agent (now there's another area that requires strict legislation) will circulate rumours to try and obtain a better deal at an existing club or elsewhere. More so than ever in the modern game greed is the manta chanted by all, but it has always been so . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07 2024, 11:42