The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Signings EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Signings EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Signings EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Signings EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Signings EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Signings EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Signings EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Signings EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Signings EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Signings Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+4
LOBO
DJSR
BazSpur
MarkA249
8 posters

Signings

MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Signings Empty Signings

Post by MarkA249 Sat Aug 06 2011, 17:53

Where r the signings especially a Striker hope behind this Bilbao game we r going to sign Llorente from them. VDV is out now for a couple of weeks where on earth is our goals r going to come from even old red nose Fergie is shocked we havnt bought anyone. If Levy is leaving it until deadline day dangerous game to play to get players cheaper worked last summer with VDV but didnt work in January which i think cost us Champions League. We do have a good squad but we could do with 3 players Llorente Samba and Diarra please Mr Levy before deadline day not much to ask for is it.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Signings Empty Re: Signings

Post by BazSpur Sat Aug 06 2011, 19:23

Ihave a bad feeling we aren't going to buy. Lets hope I am wrong.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sun Aug 07 2011, 00:02

Harry was at the Villareal v Everton Match watching Rossi, he scored a 25 yard screamer. I think a bid will be made soon, also rumours circulating that spurs will also put in a bid for Fernando Llorente. If we can sign one of the two strikers mentioned, i think we'll be good going into the season.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sun Aug 07 2011, 00:07

Tottenham Hotspur closing on Llorente
    12:00 PM 06 August, 2011
    Tottenham Hotspur are closing on an impressive swoop for Fernando Llorente.

It is no secret that Harry Redknapp wants to shake up his attacking options ahead of the new season, with none of his current strikers guaranteed to remain part of his plans.

The Spurs manager has been heavily linked with Spanish international ace Llorente, who scored nineteen La Liga goals last season and also has seven goals for his country.

The 26-year-old has in the past been linked with Real Madrid, but The Metro claims Spurs are closing in on a deal for the £25million-rated Athletic Bilbao ace.
    DJSR
    DJSR
    Admin
    Admin

Post by DJSR Sun Aug 07 2011, 00:08

Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp has made a personal check on Villarreal striker Giuseppe Rossi.

Redknapp saw long-time target Rossi hammer a 25-yard free-kick winner for Villarreal in a friendly at Everton on Friday night.

The Spurs boss made a special trip to Merseyside to check on Rossi.

Redknapp failed with a 30 million offer for the ex-Manchester United striker in January.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sun Aug 07 2011, 02:15

it wont come to nothing..all these links never come to anything with 1 week to go..

But i do stress that i think spurs are looking for 1 striker who has outstanding ability , who is game fit that can be thrown straight into the prem league, Rossi? maybe
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Sun Aug 07 2011, 06:50

DJSR wrote:Harry was at the Villareal v Everton Match watching Rossi, he scored a 25 yard screamer. I think a bid will be made soon, also rumours circulating that spurs will also put in a bid for Fernando Llorente. If we can sign one of the two strikers mentioned, i think we'll be good going into the season.

On todays Showing Llorente is no better than what we have already. In fact he looks worse.
    I think he will be a panic buy if he comes.

Mikey M
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Sun Aug 07 2011, 08:04

agree mikey,he didnt look anything special, dont really fancy him on todays showing. see loughts 2 favourites got the goals lol
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Sun Aug 07 2011, 11:09

If the World made assessments on players based on one game, Eto'o would be classed as 'past it' based on his performances for Milan against us.

And that was in the CL, not an unimportant friendly.

I haven't seen the game but I've read a number of reports on it. In all bar a few, with as many negatives being on this site as in all the others put together, Llorente was described as being a 'class above' our strikers. OK he didn't score, what of it? You make a judgement on his striking ability based on a preseason friendly? If everyone did that then we'd be beating off 40 million bids for Defoe with a sh*tty stick!

I've been reading reports that he would really like to come to us. How many times, from different posters, have I seen that as being one of the main criteria for being a Spurs player, WANTING to wear the shirt? Couple that with his known ability and you have a player with the potential to be immense for us.

Thank God our management and staff are a little more thorough with a player than that. I think they'd also be more interested in how his play for Bilbao would have dovetailed with the way we played, particularly in the 2nd half, than how many times his name went onto the score sheet.

Don't be so quick to dismiss a player based on a single performance, particularly when that performance is measured against your expectation rather than the contribution in the context of the game.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Aug 08 2011, 04:03

ionman34 wrote:
    If the World made assessments on players based on one game, Eto'o would be classed as 'past it' based on his performances for Milan against us.

I haven't seen the game but I've read a number of reports on it. In all bar a few, with as many negatives being on this site as in all the others put together, Llorente was described as being a 'class above' our strikers. OK he didn't score, what of it? You make a judgement on his striking ability based on a preseason friendly? If everyone did that then we'd be beating off 40 million bids for Defoe with a sh*tty stick!

I've been reading reports that he would really like to come to us. How many times, from different posters, have I seen that as being one of the main criteria for being a Spurs player, WANTING to wear the shirt? Couple that with his known ability and you have a player with the potential to be immense for us.

Thank God our management and staff are a little more thorough with a player than that. I think they'd also be more interested in how his play for Bilbao would have dovetailed with the way we played, particularly in the 2nd half, than how many times his name went onto the score sheet.

Don't be so quick to dismiss a player based on a single performance, particularly when that performance is measured against your expectation rather than the contribution in the context of the game.

Sure Ion it was only the one game but how many times have you seen a player once and have said he looks class. Well this guy didn't show it to me once. He had a couple of chances that he should have put away, or at least been on target.
    I object to being told it's negative talk by someone who didn't even see the game.

I want a top striker as much as anyone but just because we are linked with somebody doesn't mean he is any good. I have seen to many so called "top" players come and end up in the reserves or out the door.

If we are only going to buy someone just because he wants to come to us when the really good players don't, then I would rather stay with what we have.

Mikey M
    ionman34
    ionman34
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ionman34 Mon Aug 08 2011, 19:21

totalytot wrote:
    ionman34 wrote:

Sure Ion it was only the one game but how many times have you seen a player once and have said he looks class. Well this guy didn't show it to me once. He had a couple of chances that he should have put away, or at least been on target.
    I object to being told it's negative talk by someone who didn't even see the game.

Bit of an overreaction there Mikey but, OK, I've taken it on board and have now seen the game.

Having watched it, it seems that the positive assessment of others was bang on the money. He's mobile, takes up good position and is excellent in his link up play. During the first half, he interacted with their midfield well showing excellent control and ability to hold off defenders trying to win the ball. His decision making was good too, meaning that he always seemed to take the 'percentage' option so that they retained possession. He had two good opportunities that he didn't take. Fair enough but I'd be inclined to give him license there as it was a friendly and he'd be a tad 'ring rusty' with them being 2 weeks behind us with their pre season prep.

The second half didn't really give us a chance to assess him further as we basically owned them for that 45 minutes. However, he also showed a great work ethic with his defending.

I want a top striker as much as anyone but just because we are linked with somebody doesn't mean he is any good. I have seen to many so called "top" players come and end up in the reserves or out the door.

True, but then we've also seen so called 'top' players turn out for us and set the World alight, the most obvious ones being Klinsmann, Lineker and Ginola.

If we are only going to buy someone just because he wants to come to us when the really good players don't, then I would rather stay with what we have.

Please let me know where I said that. I actually said 'How many times, from different posters, have I seen that as being one of the main criteria for being a Spurs player, WANTING to wear the shirt?'It has never been one of my main criteria ever. The point I was making was that, not only is he a quality player, he's a quality player who doesn't actually see us as a fallback option should his first, second or third choice teams not come through. If he comes to us it is because he has chosen to come to us first and foremost.

But, as I said, that is not my main criteria. For the record, my first choice, of those currently available, is Adabadhairday. For me, he has everything tha Llorente has and combines it with the kind of finishing ability that Rossi has.

However, we are not his first choice. If he comes to us at all, it is because Real Madrid did not want him.

I couldn't care less about this, he scores goals, lots of them and would score oooooodles with us.

That is why I want him, everything else is just a bonus.

Mikey M
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Aug 08 2011, 23:12

Regarding Llorente:

One of the things that stood out for me about him was how vocally quiet he was ....The man is collosus at 6ft 5inches, but I didnt see any Drogba style arrogance, growls and sneers from him but he came across to me as a player just happy to get through the game, perhaps it being a friendly ? ....He's more Anelka rather than Drogba in that sense but Im wondering if he has the character to make a move abroad ... Some characters are only at their best in familiar surroundings and im wondering if this is the case with him ...Ive seen him in Bilbao games and his much better than what we saw at the weekend ...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03 2024, 12:04