The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Hindsight  arry strikes again EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Hindsight  arry strikes again Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

4 posters

Hindsight arry strikes again

LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Hindsight  arry strikes again Empty Hindsight arry strikes again

Post by LOBO Sat Sep 17 2011, 18:59

Now wasn't he told by his scouts that suarez wouldn't be up to the cut n thrust of the premier league lol ..just goes to show you cant be the top player in a world cup and not be up to premier league standards, even a blind fool could see he was more then qualified for the job .

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp regrets not beating Liverpool to the signing of Luis Suarez.

The Reds secured the Uruguay striker's signature last January and soon after added Andy Carroll to their squad following the £50million sale of Fernando Torres to Chelsea.

Suarez quickly became a fans' favourite following a good start to his career at Anfield and he has continued to impress this term, scoring three times in Liverpool's opening five games.

Redknapp was desperate to sign a frontman in January after he realised Peter Crouch could not provide him with the goals his team needed to qualify for the Champions League again.

The Spurs boss launched bids for Sergio Aguero, Fernando Llorente and Diego Forlan and he was also interested in acquiring Suarez from Ajax.

But Spurs balked at the £30million-plus fee they were quoted and Redknapp was worried that Suarez was too similar to Rafael van der Vaart, who the Tottenham manager likes to deploy in the hole just behind a target man.

Having seen Suarez star up front on his own, Redknapp admits he probably should have pushed harder to bring him to White Hart Lane.

"We looked at Suarez," said Redknapp, whose side take on Liverpool on Sunday.

"That was a player who we probably should have took, looking back on it now.

"The fee was £30-odd million and that's a lot of money.

"We thought he played a bit like Van der Vaart as well.

"We were looking for a target man but I have seen him play up on his own and he can do that. He can play anywhere. He can do anything. He is a top-class, fantastic player."

Redknapp also revealed he was seriously interested in signing Carroll before he left Newcastle for Anfield in a £35million deadline-day move.

The England striker has struggled to make an impact at the Merseyside club due to lack of form and fitness and national boss Fabio Capello recently criticised the 22-year-old's lifestyle.

Redknapp is a big admirer of the player, though, and is wary of the damage he can cause to his patched-up defence on Sunday if selected.

"He is a real handful," Redknapp said. "He is a great header of the ball.

"When you go up against him you know you have had a game, that's for sure.

"We thought about signing him but we weren't in to spending £35million on one player."

Suarez and Carroll are just two of a number of players Kenny Dalglish has signed since he replaced Roy Hodgson as Reds boss halfway through last season.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Hindsight  arry strikes again Empty Re: Hindsight arry strikes again

Post by BazSpur Sat Sep 17 2011, 20:57

Carroll was never worth 35 mill and I for one am glad we didn't go for him.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Sat Sep 17 2011, 21:51

BazSpur wrote:Carroll was never worth 35 mill and I for one am glad we didn't go for him.

Same here , I never did rate him, his profile was blasted out of proportion after his england debut , and he only got the call up at the time cos we had no other option if my memory serves me well
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sat Sep 17 2011, 22:00

He's been sh*t for Liverpool. Now I've said that watch him score for them tomorrow lol.

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17 2011, 22:30

BazSpur wrote:Carroll was never worth 35 mill and I for one am glad we didn't go for him.

I would have liked carroll at spurs but as you say baz, that was far too much to pay for him, newcastle stung liverpool big time but they had the torres money.
    True value of the player was approx £12-£15 mill in todays player market, as he was bit of a gamble and still is.
    Wasnt the newcastle owner(forget his name and cant be bothered to google it) trying to sell the club for £85 mill a couple of years back? now they get £35 mill for one player..nice bit of business.
    Oh yes it was mike ashley.
    Boltjean
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by Boltjean Sun Sep 18 2011, 22:01

It's funny how you saw these players play so well for their previous clubs, and you think to yourself how you would have liked these players in our team, yet when they make a big money move to the likes of Liverpool in Carrolls case or Chelsea in Torres case they just do not seem to be the same player and then we think how lucky we were not to have signed them. It can only be that they do not suit their new teams style of play, but then is'nt that the managers job to judge whether a player is suited to his sides style of play before he goes out and buy's him for big money?. It might have been the case with Modric had he joined Chelsea, he could have found himself in the same position Berbatov has found himself in at United, a game now and then, and Keane at Liverpool when he did not get a look in. So, perhaps these players out there who think they are just to good for their present club should take a look at the likes of Torres, Carroll, Berbatov and Keane and think, I could end up like them, so perhaps I would be far better off staying where I am and giving my all to my present club.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Sun Sep 18 2011, 22:13

I think you're right Len. In the case of Carroll I don't really think he wanted to leave Newcastle. He is a Geordie through and through but I think he felt it would raise his profile as an England player. Like you say though Len making a move to another club doesn't always work out. Nick Barmby was brilliant for us but when he moved on I don't think he was ever as good as when he played for us, Berbatov, Keane were the same.
    totalytot
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by totalytot Mon Sep 19 2011, 07:03

I'm one of those that really wanted Carroll and I think that when he settles down and sorts out his life style he will be a England regular. He has everything needed for a striker big, powerful in the air and has a great shot.

But it remains to be seen if he can sort himself out or will he turn out like Gazza and let the booze stop his career early.

Mikey M
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Sep 19 2011, 07:21

motd 2 is gonna be good tonight :P
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Post by BazSpur Mon Sep 19 2011, 07:27

Yep, got me beer all ready lol.
    LOBO
    LOBO
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by LOBO Mon Sep 19 2011, 07:44

BazSpur wrote:Yep, got me beer all ready lol.

we should be 2nd i reckon after manu-chel game touch wood

Post by Guest Mon Sep 19 2011, 07:49

Suarez showed his petulant side today. Carrol showed he is a long way from the finished article just yet. Both good players, both players we at Spurs were linked with. Both on the losing side today. Oh yeah crazy . . . . . . .

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19 2024, 23:51