The Bill Nicholson Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

The Bill Nicholson Forum

The Bill Nicholson Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Bill Nicholson Forum

Spurs Chat

WELCOME TO THE BILL NICHOLSON FORUM - SPURS CHAT

Latest topics

» Not been here for a while
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 21 2021, 20:01 by BazSpur

» Sky Sports News Links
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:13 by DJSR

» Hello....the site is still alive!
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 29 2020, 18:11 by DJSR

» 17 million deal for Musacchio
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:39 by souptheyid

» How to Block Adverts on this Site !
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 24 2017, 18:36 by souptheyid

» This is Our Season
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 14 2016, 00:54 by vis

» 'appy New Season
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 29 2015, 08:09 by BazSpur

»  Time to say goodbye
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 28 2015, 21:37 by Maximus

» Crouchinio
Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 15 2015, 03:00 by vis

Navigation

Spurs Legends

Former Spurs Manager: Keith Burkinshaw

Gallery

Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 Empty

Affiliates

I forgot my password

+7
HotspurRoper
ionman34
totalytot
ArnieArdiles
DJSR
djfitzo
shearspur
11 posters

Match Thread Vs Manchester City

shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 Empty Re: Match Thread Vs Manchester City

Post by shearspur Mon Jan 23 2012, 02:57

you can gaurantee something like that will always happen to us, fuckin 40 seconds to go and a challenge like that kills us off on some cnut who should have been sent off for stamping. typical badluck. thought we were the better team ,just.
    BazSpur
    BazSpur
    Admin
    Admin

Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 Empty Re: Match Thread Vs Manchester City

Post by BazSpur Mon Jan 23 2012, 03:46

Grrrrrr same old same old Shear.
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Jan 23 2012, 03:55

Lets face it lads, making the right decision wins you points. All Ekotto had to do was let the ball roll off with seconds left on the clock. Take another 10 seconds to throw it down the line for Bale to flick on and everyones set to keep the ball down their half. Why on earth play a 40 yard ball? I actually thought we got the Sunday league Ekotto today, why does he sometimes have these games, his distribution was shocking today.

MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Jan 23 2012, 04:07

Looking at the highlights think Bale should of played Defoe in sooner too but its ifs and buts come on Manure beating scum 1 - 0 HT title gone but 3rd is still on
    seebee1944
    seebee1944
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by seebee1944 Mon Jan 23 2012, 04:35

How the hell can our so called top referee miss Lescotts elbow and Ballotellis stamp words failed me until 'er indoors said why get so upset it's only a game. Thats when the argument started!!

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 05:49

1507: Mario Balotelli has been quiet since coming on, but he makes an impression on Benoit Assou-Ekotto here, sliding in late on the Tottenham defender. That's a yellow card. Ten minutes left at the Etihad and it remains 2-2.

1512: City's turn to enjoy a bit of possession but their attempt to build up some pressure ends when Scott Parker blocks Mario Balotelli's shot and is accidentally caught by the striker's flailing leg. Replays show Balotelli caught Parker with his heel afterwards too, but I'm not sure that could be classed as intentional. Anyway, Parker is having treatment on the sidelines... and has just jogged back on.

1536: We haven't heard the last of this though. I've just seen that incident where Mario Balotelli caught Scott Parker again, and he is a very lucky boy not to get a red card. That was a bit nastier than I thought at first glance. The question is, did referee Howard Webb see it? And why did he ignore it if he did?

From Gutted Spurs fan, via text: "It's all very well enjoying Balotelli's idiocy but when he kicks someone's head whilst they are on the ground you have to question him."

From JJ, annoyed Manchester United fan, via text: "Balotelli should not have been on the pitch. Since coming on he ruined that game. Unlucky Spurs!"

QPR skipper Joey Barton on Twitter: "Just seen Bale's goal. Great strike. Seen Balotelli incident, doesn't look great on replay. Those Super Sleuths at FA HQ won't miss that? Will they?"

Manchester City boss David Platt, speaking to BBC Sport about his side's win over Spurs because manager Roberto Mancini has lost his voice: "Mario has got that ability to put a penalty like that way. With penalties he's got full confidence in himself, he looks at the keeper and tries to make the keeper make a mistake. I haven't seen the incident with Balotelli so I can't comment on it until I see it. If we continue to amass points and carry on winning we'll be tough to beat, but it doesn't change anything in terms of the title race."

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp on BBC Radio 5 live : "Balotelli has kicked Scott Parker in the head purposely. He's back-heeled him in the head. I don't know why you would do that on a football pitch. It's there for everybody to see."

From anon, via text: "Maybe if Harry started brandishing imaginary cards we'd have seen Balotelli sent off for that stamp on Parker. Once again, World Cup final referee Howard Webb robs Spurs. Shouldn't be allowed to ref another Tottenham match."

More from Spurs boss Harry Redknapp on BBC Radio 5 live : "It was a great comeback from us and we showed character. From then on I could see us winning it. But that's football - that's the way it goes. It was a great game for the fans. But we're disappointed."

From Ian W, Man City fan, via text: "People - including footballers and pundits - need to calm down. It seems Mario has been condemned already. It is not certain that it was an intentional stamp at all."

From Ed, Birmingham, via text: "Arsenal v Man U, the second best team in North London playing the second best team in Manchester. How times change eh?"

From Anon, via text: "Re Balotelli. Don't know how Joey Barton can talk about fouling, considering his history. City were class today great win for the team!"

Jay93THFC on Twitter: "Ian W - if that was on a Man City player Mancini would have been pedantic. Imaginary cards and toys out the pram."

Blackburn Rovers striker and BBC pundit Jason Roberts on Twitter: "Balotelli...not 100% either way! For what it's worth I don't think it's a sending off but I don't think you can be sure. Movement was not 'natural' but he was facing the other way, and never glanced backwards. Only he will know..."

Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon on Twitter: "Gutted with the result. We deserved better but we will pick ourselves up and get ready for Friday [against Watford in the FA Cup]. Great support as usual."

1826: I'm just watching more replays of Manchester City's win over Spurs. The more I see it, the more Jermain Defoe's late, lunging miss, reminds me of that moment in the Euro 96 semi-final against Germany when Paul Gascoigne almost got on the end of a cross inside the six-yard box. Almost.

1835: To sum up the texts and tweets that are flooding in, there are lots of frustrated Gunners fans out there and lots of people seem unhappy with Mario Balotelli too. That boy just cannot stay out of the headlines can he? By the way, he celebrated his penalty winner in slightly more animated fashion than his trademark 'bothered' style, but not by much.

FULL-TIME Man City 3-2 Tottenham
    Phil McNulty reports from Etihad Stadium: "Mario Balotelli, for all the chaos that follows him, kept him cool amid the mayham to give Manchester City a crucial injury-time win against Spurs. Devastation for Harry Redknapp's team after such a stirring fightback."

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 06:01

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has accused Mario Balotelli of deliberately kicking Scott Parker in the head during the defeat by Manchester City.

The 22-year-old Italian striker later gave City a dramatic 3-2 victory with an injury-time penalty at The Etihad.

Balotelli's clash with Spurs' Parker went unpunished by referee Howard Webb and came after he had already been booked since coming on as a substitute.

"It's blatantly obvious. Scott has got a cut on his head," Redknapp said.
    "It was a double one on Scott," the Tottenham boss insisted. "The first one could have been an accident, but on the second one he's backheeled him straight in the head.

"I don't even like talking about people kicking other people because it's not my game, but it's wrong. I don't like seeing people react like that to a challenge. It's not the first time he's done it and I'm sure it won't be the last."

Redknapp's fury was increased when Balotelli scored the late penalty that maintained City's lead at the top of the Premier League and damaged Spurs' own title hopes after he was fouled by Ledley King.

City opened up a two-goal lead courtesy of Samir Nasri and Joleon Lescott but Spurs responded through Jermain Defoe and Gareth Bale before Balotelli's decisive late intervention in the closing seconds.

Redknapp felt Balotelli should not have been on the pitch to take the kick, adding: "He reacts like that at times to challenges. Scott has got a lovely cut on his head.

"It is up to their manager [Roberto Mancini] to deal with it. I have got my own opinions, but what I would say is that I don't like people kicking other people in the head on football pitches, and I don't think it's wrong to say that.
    "Why you should backheel someone in the head when they are lying on the floor is beyond me. It's not a nice thing to do."

Manchester City coach David Platt, standing in for Mancini at the post-match press conference, said he had not seen the incident and could not comment until he had.

Platt said: "I never saw anything live and there was nothing from the players live either. Until we have seen it we cannot really comment.

"What we are aware of from the last month is that different TV angles can show different things."

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 06:04

Man City 3 - 2 Tottenham

Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 _58030651_balotelli_parker_getty
    Tottenham allege Mario Balotelli stamped on the head of Scott Parker

Mario Balotelli's injury-time penalty gave Premier League leaders Manchester City a vital victory after Tottenham's stirring comeback looked set to earn them a point at The Etihad.

City set the platform for a win early in the second half with two quick goals from Samir Nasri and Joleon Lescott - but Spurs delivered a devastating response as an opportunist goal from Jermain Defoe and a magnificent strike from Gareth Bale drew them level in a burst of four goals in nine minutes.

Balotelli emerged from the bench and into the chaos that seems to be his constant companion - picking up a booking for a foul on Benoit Assou-Ekotto then escaping punishment after appearing to stamp on Scott Parker, an incident which went undetected by referee Howard Webb.
    Defoe was then inches away from putting Spurs back in front in stoppage time before Italian Balotelli was inevitably the central figure in the final twist that ensured Roberto Mancini's side maintained the gap ahead of their pursuers at the top of the table.

Spurs' backroom staff were enraged by Balotelli's clash with Parker and their burning sense of injustice would have been made even more acute when he calmly strode forward to score from the spot with only seconds remaining after he had been hauled down by Ledley King.

The visitors clearly felt he should not even have been on the pitch, adding to their frustration after they had demonstrated considerable character and resilience to fight their way back into the game.

City boss Mancini will have had mixed emotions - delight at a crucial three points but also anxiety at the manner in which his side allowed Spurs back into the game.

Defoe, as expected, was Redknapp's selection in attack ahead of Emmanuel Adebayor, who was unable to figure against City, his parent club, during his season-long loan period.
    In a first half that was fiercely contested, the only striker who got the chance to shine was City's Sergio Aguero as Spurs outnumbered City in midfield and contained the league leaders in relative comfort.

The Argentine saw his goalbound shot inadvertently blocked by Edin Dzeko, then demonstrated great strength and awareness to hold off Younes Kaboul and find David Silva, who dragged his shot just wide.

Aguero was frustrated by Spurs goalkeeper Brad Friedel after Richards forced his way into area - but there was still no indication of the torrent of goals that were to hit The Etihad after the break.
    The first came after 56 minutes when Silva, with trademark creation, threaded a pass through for Nasri to thump a finish past Friedel. And when Lescott bundled home Dzeko's flick from a Nasri corner three minutes later, City could see daylight.

Not for long, however, as Spurs were back in business within seconds as the hour approached. Stefan Savic failed miserably in his attempt to deal with a clearance, heading straight to Defoe, who accepted the gift with relish as he rounded City keeper Joe Hart to score.

City's fans had gone from elation to anxiety, but Dzeko should have eased their concerns when he was played in by Silva. The Bosnian never looked convincing as he lashed his effort way over the top.

Bale showed no such uncertainty when he put Spurs level in spectacular style after 65 minutes. He took Luka Modric's pass and clipped a finish that possessed pace, power and precision high into the top corner beyond Hart, who had no chance.
    City had introduced Balotelli for Dzeko, but his first meaningful contribution was to pick up a yellow card from referee Webb for a foul on Assou-Ekotto.

The coming together with Parker that provided a major talking point followed soon after, before a thrilling second half received the climax it deserved.

Defoe could not stretch far enough to turn Bale's cross into an open goal - leaving the stage clear for the turbulent Balotelli to write another chapter into his eventful Manchester City story.

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 06:06

MAN CITY Vs TOTTENHAM

Possession
    Man City 55%
    Tottenham 45%

Attempts on target
    Man City 7
    Tottenham 7

Attempts off target
    Man City 6
    Tottenham 5

Corners
    Man City 9
    Tottenham 4

Fouls
    Man City 7
    Tottenham 10
    anicoll5
    anicoll5
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by anicoll5 Mon Jan 23 2012, 06:14

If Balotelli does not get a call from
    The FA in the morning then I am a banana

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 06:34

yea bale should of played him in sooner. but defoe missed a sitter.

first half we bottled it. we got better second half.
    brad 9played well
    kaboul 8 great game from him
    king 5 how did he let ballotell roll him
    ekotto 6 sloppy passing all game from him
    walker 8 did well
    parker 8 decent game
    modric 6not much from him
    bale 7poor first half good second
    lennon. same as bale
    vdv 2 woefull again. was a passenger
    defoe 7 worked hard but that missed cost us. hes done that loads of times before.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon Jan 23 2012, 07:31

but defoes intelligence in spotting the defender might make a mistake and ran on ahead and kept his cool to go past hart and slot it in brought us back into the game at a very tense time for us. also dont think i would call it a miss , just he couldnt keep up with bale as he crossed it.
    MarkA249
    MarkA249
    Premiership
    Premiership

Post by MarkA249 Mon Jan 23 2012, 07:49

yes lought u can shut up about Defoe not scoring at big grounds now lol and it wasnt a sitter Bale should of played it sooner or if Defoe was Ade height or Crouch would of scored

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 08:07

big grounds i call old trafford and arsenal.

fact defoe missed a sitter. worse then darren bents miss

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 08:21

OH FFS Lought lol. Where others see a silver lining from today you notice even bigger & darker storm clouds & even manage to bring Benty into it lmao . . . . .
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon Jan 23 2012, 08:22

no, i was there for bents miss, now that was a sitter. all in all i felt proud of our players today, they went there and gave it a real go, some of the passing was a bit sloppy but all in all a pretty good show. one mistake cost us dearly and if we play like that every week till the end of season i will be happy and lets just see where it gets us to.we have a pretty good run in towards the end of season even though a lot of those opponents will be scrapping to beat the drop.

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 09:35

give it a go lol man c seriously down to bare bones. nasri been shite all season yet was best player on the park.

first half we looked scared of them then went 2 down 0 and got a lucky goal to get back into the game.
    how rubbish was bale and vdv again. bale theres no i in team.

and as for defoe watch it again he stopped hes run. sitter. unlike darren bent where he had to get the header right.

also on balletle how fk did webb miss it. he bottled it.
    shearspur
    shearspur
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by shearspur Mon Jan 23 2012, 09:48

so their 2nd goal was fantastic was it? looked to me like lescott was falling over and dragged the ball in with him, now thats what i call lucky. defoe had plenty to do after out thinking their defender and their keeper

Post by Guest Mon Jan 23 2012, 10:42

hmm awfull defending from us. and yes defoe goal was easy as hart was to slow off hes line.

ekotto was so laid back all game
    djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Jan 23 2012, 20:24

Loughtonlegend wrote:give it a go lol man c seriously down to bare bones. nasri been shite all season yet was best player on the park.

first half we looked scared of them then went 2 down 0 and got a lucky goal to get back into the game.
    how rubbish was bale and vdv again. bale theres no i in team.

and as for defoe watch it again he stopped hes run. sitter. unlike darren bent where he had to get the header right.

also on balletle how fk did webb miss it. he bottled it.

Bare bones? are you on crack?

Hart (Englands number one)
    Richards (International)
    Lescott (International)
    Savic (International)
    Clichy (International)
    Milner (International)
    Barry (International)
    Silva (World and European champion and best midfielder in the prem)
    Aguero (International and best forward in the prem)
    Djeko (International and scored 4 goals against us in previous game)
    Nasri (International and ex Arsenal that was always going to raise his game against us)

Then theres the nutter Balotelli

You really should think before you post Lought and your hatred for Defoe is astonishing, Maybe had bale played it earlier
    he would have actually laid it on a plate.

I still think your a Gooner.

djfitzo
    International
    International

Post by djfitzo Mon Jan 23 2012, 20:28

anicoll5 wrote:If Balotelli does not get a call from
    The FA in the morning then I am a banana

Then theres Lescotts forwarm smash on Kaboul.

Coward Webb is and and always be a Manchester homer, everytime Citeh took a quick free kick he allowed it,
    when we tried it, the ball was rolling. I get sick of going to Manchester and Howard Webb alweays seems to get
    the games up there.

TBH, I disagree with Neville, I dont think he saw the stamp, which means Baranutter can be done
    retrospectively.

ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Jan 23 2012, 21:29

ionman34 wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:
    totalytot wrote:
    ArnieArdiles wrote:If Ledley King plays I'm confident we will be alright ....

I agree Arnie. We play with so much more confidence when Ledley's in the side. If he plays we will get something out the game I'm sure, at the least a draw.

Mikey M

He's just been so unlucky with his career Mickey, with injuries and the timing of it all (Alan Sugar years)but for me, he's right up there with the likes of Maldini & Bobby Moore.... A joy to watch ...

Right on Brother. (Sorry, watching Undercover Brother at the moment and I've come over all 70's)

Ledders is head and shoulders above any CH of his generation and fully deserves to take his place amongst that august company. Just a shame injuries prevented him proving that beyond all doubt on the International scene.

Feck it ,,,,what did I do? lol

Actually, Ledders was excellent up to that 94th minute
    Crying or Very sad
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Jan 23 2012, 21:35

[quote="djfitzo"]Lets face it lads, making the right decision wins you points. All Ekotto had to do was let the ball roll off with seconds left on the clock. Take another 10 seconds to throw it down the line for Bale to flick on and everyones set to keep the ball down their half. Why on earth play a 40 yard ball? I actually thought we got the Sunday league Ekotto today, why does he sometimes have these games, his distribution was shocking today.

I was , huh WTF Benny, when he did that gutted ...
    Should've just let the ball run out for the throw and taken the point .
    Fecking Football Gods
    mad
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Jan 23 2012, 21:39

MarkA249 wrote:Looking at the highlights think Bale should of played Defoe in sooner too but its ifs and buts come on Manure beating scum 1 - 0 HT title gone but 3rd is still on

I cant be to hard on either Bale or Defoe ....It's all split seconds and centimeters, it happens ....

We Spurs should all get the T-Shirts,,, 'Why Always Us' Sad
    ArnieArdiles
    ArnieArdiles
    Champions League
    Champions League

Post by ArnieArdiles Mon Jan 23 2012, 21:46

seebee1944 wrote:

How the hell can our so called top referee miss Lescotts elbow and Ballotellis stamp words failed me until 'er indoors said why get so upset it's only a game. Thats when the argument started!!

Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 1417a86

Match Thread Vs Manchester City - Page 2 IXPifFVsseHKP

I think Seebee, it's called Lack of Bottle in dealing with the incidents rather than missing them, afterall, this is the same referee who allowed a kung-fu kick to the chest in a World Cup final...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13 2024, 08:22